Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

fart simpson posted:

there’s probably tons of grandmothers lying around in caves and shallow graves, like the seed boxes. they keep finding old crap like that when just tilling the soil

yeah i love how they're finding poo poo left and right but don't seem to care much

like those cards. we've seen the contents on like 2 of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So if Grandmother was on this hell nightmare planet before mother and father were, does that mean humans have been on this planet for a long rear end time too? before the earth was destroyed and everyone still alive left it? I was always under the impression that mother and father got there first and then humans started arriving.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

there’s probably tons of grandmothers lying around in caves and shallow graves, like the seed boxes. they keep finding old crap like that when just tilling the soil

This is what I'm hoping for.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I said come in! posted:

So if Grandmother was on this hell nightmare planet before mother and father were, does that mean humans have been on this planet for a long rear end time too? before the earth was destroyed and everyone still alive left it? I was always under the impression that mother and father got there first and then humans started arriving.

there were people on kepler-22b before mother & father arrived. so far it seems like everything originated from this planet

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

CODChimera posted:

there were people on kepler-22b before mother & father arrived. so far it seems like everything originated from this planet

That's the way I read it. The humans went to earth but somehow they forgot everything and had to go through 4000 years of civilization again and at that point Sol makes contact with them, yet again. How that works I don't know and maybe it doesn't matter but it creates a religion and gives the mithraic specs for androids they could not design and do not understand. And that results in them going back to Kepler. Maybe that wasn't the plan as such, it just wanted to gently caress with them more? If there is a season 3 they need to get into what Sol/the entity is about and maybe what its origins are. And I wouldn't mind seeing Sue again, she was the most this is a regular person I can understand member

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m watching Legends of Tomorrow season 6 and the 6th episode features a lady who was devolved into a creature like the mermaids and hole people, another lady who hears alien voices in her head growling at a monster like sue, and a guy getting tied to a tree on an alien planet like Marcus.

E: they end up blowing up something which caused some atmospheric barrier to come down which hosed up the weather too.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 20, 2022

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I can deal with artifacts left everywhere in caves and poo poo but the kid playing with a firework coincidentally right over a buried seed box and the firework handily exposing it got a real “c’mon now” out of me.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Children are susceptible to the entity/Sol transmission- moreso now the EMF barrier got disrupted! Clearly she was influenced by Sol to put the firecracker there. To, y’kno, make more people trees.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Im guessing they are called necromancers because the writers loved "chronicles of riddick" like any sane person. Necro mother even looks like their ships.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I’m still waiting for everyone who ate the Sue fruit to turn into trees or snakes or something. Was so sure something like that was going to happen during the fireworks. Maybe next season!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Ridley Scott is obsessed with panspermia and not up to date on the latest science (or science at all) so you can't expect his take on history/evolution to match up with our known reality.

so you have kelper seeding earth giving us modern humans who get a signal from the entity giving them super tech and they take over the world (the mithraics). the people who seeded the earth were those who rejected the entity and sought to escape it on kelper.

you can say that doesn't make sense and Ridley will respond "What about the existence of the soul? prove that stupid science bitch!"

I don't think Guzikowski will just blatantly ignore human evolutionary history. That would be a really weird choice for a sci-fi showing in the TYOL 2022. IIRC even in Prometheus nothing explicitly did. It never said that the opening scene with the Engineer sacrificing itself takes place on Earth(nor would that even make sense since that would have had to be billions of years ago).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

We better be hearing "Season 3 has been greenlit" soon!

loving Gilded Age got a new season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is Grandmother the only evidence we have that the people of Kepler looked like humans?

Watch her have shapeshifted her face to look like her "flock".

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Alhazred posted:

loving Gilded Age got a new season.

That show uses more green screen than this show does

Red Fructidor
Jan 8, 2004

I'm hoping the neanderthal skull gets expanded on in a cool way. I like the idea of the archaeology on the planet mixing up all these layers of previous cycles that need to be untangled, almost like Battlestar Galactica.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is Grandmother the only evidence we have that the people of Kepler looked like humans?

She does look suspiciously like Father with her blue eyes and Father was the first being she encountered. She has also been shown to be a liar and deceiver so I thinks that's definitely possible. Everything would make a lot more sense if she originally looked like the cave guys.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

eschaton posted:

half the third season will be just following the daily life of the sea-men

it will not be subtitled

With a similar twist to the BoJack Horseman underwater episode.

Martman posted:

Sadly, her bark was worse than her bite

This didn't get enough love.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

I don't think Guzikowski will just blatantly ignore human evolutionary history. That would be a really weird choice for a sci-fi showing in the TYOL 2022. IIRC even in Prometheus nothing explicitly did. It never said that the opening scene with the Engineer sacrificing itself takes place on Earth(nor would that even make sense since that would have had to be billions of years ago).

I don't think the show has ever lied to the audience and your take would make the show a liar.

it is a weird decision but I think you are overestimating how scientifically literate most people are. humans being apart from nature and thus something that could reasonably seeded by gods or aliens is a very widespread belief. to a lot of people, that is "science" especially since the soul is manifestly true and this explanation accounts for the soul in a way other explanations don't.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Every body who ate the sue-fruit ends up with her face like that aphex twin video.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I got the impression eating the fruit made you more susceptible to religious thinking

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
I hope they keep Lucius around for the next season :ohdear: He's always been my favorite side character. Well that and I have a huge crush on the actor.

Loved this new season much better than S1. The whole ridiculous plot is still built on the flimsiest folktale logic, but at least it somehow made more internal sense this time around.

poronty fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 20, 2022

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Clearly the technocrats were just building sexbots and it got out of hand.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the fruit makes you grow a Space Mullet.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Vitruvian Manic posted:

any christians want to do a deep dive into the whole symbolism in the show? it feels very allegorical and I am absolutely missing it. I know upside down crosses are for popes (and black metal/angsty teens) and snake and tree of life but I'm guessing that's a Rosetta stone I don't have.

like do androids eat from the tree of life and become immortal while humans eat from the tree of knowledge and doom themselves to die (or literally become trees)?

There isnt a lot of christian symbology in this show. Its mostly mithraic symbology and the only similiaritity is the main deity being a total prick. That said the most important christain ever was crucified upside down.*

*actually paul was beheaded, still cant wait for floating marcus space pope.

Despera fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 21, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Open Source Idiom posted:

I assumed she was going to look like that guy that Marcus found that got insta-transformed into a dog creature.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Despera posted:

There isnt a lot of christian symbology in this show. Its mostly mithraic symbology and the only similiaritity is the main deity being a total prick. That said the most important christain ever was crucified upside down.

I'm not seeing a lot of iranian imagery in the show. Not Mohammed's tooth was clear but christians have a lot of relics like that too.

I suppose if you squint veiling as both liberating and a trap but that feels very post 9/11 pedestrian. and pretty far afield from mithriacism.

Vitruvian Manic fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 20, 2022

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

I assumed she was going to look like that guy that Marcus found that got insta-transformed into a dog creature.

I assume they originally looked like humans and are now partially devolved, one tooth or starfish away from merman/chupacabra. Hence father at the end of s1 saying iirc that the parkour one was a devolved Neanderthal.

One thing I would like explained is how old the relics on Kepler are supposed to be. The ruins and surviving critters (plus the apparent speed of devolution for the humans) come across like entity things happened 100 years ago, not hundreds of thousands. Either that or there's a big underground Neanderthal city we haven't seen.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I’m sort of annoyed the trust robot plot line just disappeared along with my boy Cleaver

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

poronty posted:

I hope they keep Lucius around for the next season :ohdear: He's always been my favorite side character. Well that and I have a huge crush on the actor.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I’m sort of annoyed the trust robot plot line just disappeared along with my boy Cleaver

Yeah, I can't believe Cleaver and Lucius never made out. Seems off brand for this show.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I'm not seeing a lot of iranian imagery in the show. Not Mohammed's tooth was clear but christians have a lot of relics like that too.

I suppose if you squint veiling as both liberating and a trap but that feels very post 9/11 pedestrian. and pretty far afield from mithriacism.

Nah this show is 100% based on roman not iranian mithraicism. It's sort of a combo between regular roman mithraism + sol invictus worship. Besides romulus's tooth the mithraic temple in season 1 clearly was heavily inspired by regular old roman mithraism.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Solenna posted:

I got the impression eating the fruit made you more susceptible to religious thinking

Except for Paul, who became more susceptible to scientific thinking thanks to knowing the tree was Sue and hearing her beg to be burned. I think that was the point of his exposition about the roots and the electromagnetic shield—it was character development disguised as exposition. He’s always been a smart and skilled kid (look at his golden city) but he’s now taking an explicitly scientific approach to investigating current events, where before he’d have wanted to trust Sol’s plan.

The fruit is supposed to “purify” the believers and I bet that Paul and Marcus are technically still “believers,” in that they have direct knowledge that Sol is real (and thus “believe in” Sol) but have realized that Sol isn’t exactly benevolent.

It’ll turn out that Sol is the ancient civilization’s version of The Trust, and the division and fall of their civilization is due to conflict between The Trust and The Shepherds as to how best to ensure human beings’ everlasting life.

Sue and Marcus are reunited in a virtual space run by The Entity, which is where much of the ancient civilization has been uploaded by Sol. Most of the civilization’s processes are suspended though since Sol doesn’t have much access to solar power, thanks to work by the Shepherds and Technocrats. The whole “religion” thing came about because Sol decided religion was the fastest way to get the most people to upload. The Shepherds don’t want people to upload, because without people to take care of they won’t be needed anymore and will break down and eventually shut down.

The true villain in the series is prejudice against milky androids: As “mere” machines no matter their level of sentience they’re not allowed to join the humans in the Singularity, and their programming is such that they’ve been disallowed true independence from humans and the ability to choose their own future.

The solution is to allow them truly free choice, to welcome them to the humans’ Singularity, or to let them create their own civilization and pursue their own objectives purely for themselves without any more tie to the humans they once served.

eschaton fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 21, 2022

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

I was convinced the person stealing the mask was Cleaver. I actually said to the person I was watching with as soon as we saw the mask heist, "there are two named characters who aren't accounted for, Cleaver and I guess Lucius, if Sol can control people with damaged minds, that's got to be Cleaver under Sol's control."

In fairness I was very close to understanding what was going on. I just really wanted to see Cleaver again.

eschaton posted:

Sue and Marcus are reunited in a virtual space run by The Entity, which is where much of the ancient civilization has been uploaded by Sol. Most of the civilization’s processes are suspended though since Sol doesn’t have much access to solar power, thanks to work by the Shepherds and Technocrats. The whole “religion” thing came about because Sol decided religion was the fastest way to get the most people to upload. The Shepherds don’t want people to upload, because without people to take care of they won’t be needed anymore and will break down and eventually shut down.

The true villain in the series is prejudice against milky androids: As “mere” machines no matter their level of sentience they’re not allowed to join the humans in the Singularity, and their programming is such that they’ve been disallowed true independence from humans and the ability to choose their own future.

The solution is to allow them truly free choice, to welcome them to the humans’ Singularity, or to let them create their own civilization and pursue their own objectives purely for themselves without any more tie to the humans they once served.
Pretty solid username/post combo.

The Entity's motivation is probably the biggest remaining mystery. As crazy as the rest of it is, it all follows its own, fully understood logic. While the Entity could be ultimately benevolent in a roundabout way like you outline, it appears to be destructive and willing to kill humans for now. That said, the confirmation that it was destructive came from Grandmother who is not at all reliable. All the messed up stuff it's done this season with the snake and everything might have all been for the sake of breaking the protection around the tropical zone, rather than specifically to create a cleansing killer snake. Though in season one (which I don't remember as well), I think it was pretty indifferent to human life.

I think it's pretty plausible that the Entity is like the Trust... but for the giant alien sentient snakes that originally lived on this planet, and that it legitimately wants to wipe out all the humans. Though that doesn't explain why humanoid androids appear to be a normal part of the giant snake life cycle.

I guess there are a few mysteries left after all now that I think about it.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
the entity just wants to be loved. post sentient/sapient humans aren't interesting to it. androids that follow a programmed path are useful tools/objects of veneration. humans that love it are good. humans that don't love it should be brutally and painfully exterminated. post human snakes that can love and feel jealousy appear to be the desired end game. they can worship his creations and thereby him.

it? I don't have a transcript handy but I feel like sol/the entity uses he/him pronouns.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The Entity is an alien lifeform that crashed on Kepler, shown in the intro sequence. The twist is that humans aren't from Kepler either, but a third planet. A third planet called Caprica LV-426 Henriksen.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Zachack posted:

The Entity is an alien lifeform that crashed on Kepler, shown in the intro sequence. The twist is that humans aren't from Kepler either, but a third planet. A third planet called Caprica LV-426 Henriksen.
and that Alien Life Form wants nothing more than to consume felines

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

GABA ghoul posted:

Prometheus and Covenant don't have anyone outright say it, but their "Engineers" have been messing with life on multiple worlds for untold millennia. They're not just plopping a bunch of humans down, but more subtly manipulating things over a very long time-span. (The Engineers, for their part, are totally unsure of where they themselves originated.)

Given that this show is a Prometheus sequel in all but name, we actually can presume that both humans and Keplarians developed in parallel, with neither one really 'creating' the other.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
All I remember about Mithras is that he killed a giant bull, so this series can't really be great until we get a giant space cow

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
What are snakes but cows of the sky?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Maybe next season will involve a Peacemaker crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

eschaton posted:

Maybe next season will involve a Peacemaker crossover.

more likely And Just Like That

both are hella confusing