Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That’s the way to do it. You might be able to get them to bring you the car and paperwork to sign at home. That’s how my Mach-E buying experience went. I never set foot in the dealer I purchased from.

Did you test drive one at any point? That's the only reason I'm probably going to check out the Ford dealer (but this is also a unicorn non-scummy one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

WhiteHowler posted:

Did you test drive one at any point? That's the only reason I'm probably going to check out the Ford dealer (but this is also a unicorn non-scummy one).

I did, but ended up buying from a different dealer a few months later. I did give the first dealer a chance to get my business, but they didn’t have any Mach-Es coming in that weren’t spoken for.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 20, 2022

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

so how hosed up is this battery now:

https://twitter.com/benjancewicz/status/1505540722006626308

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Probably at least somewhat. The fact that the suspension mounts aren’t anymore is probably a bigger issue.

:v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elviscat posted:

Holy loving poo poo have you guys found the worst must boring non-EV related derail to argue semantically past each other today.

This. Move on please

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

EV demand is so large here in Portland that the Beaverton Nissan dealership can't keep Leafs of all things in inventory.

Edit:

Okay, this is unsustainable. I love my Leaf, but a base model is nowhere near worth 35k. We're due for a massive correction.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 20, 2022

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

It’s so insane that I actually thing I’m going ICE when my lease is up in 9 months? I was determined to go EV, but I am not paying bs prices (and I’m not on a list for anything).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
EV supply outstripping demand is normal and will probably stay that way for a long time, not because the major automakers can't build enough vehicles but because nobody can build that many batteries.

Honestly all the other major automakers right now should probably be sweating a bit if they look at how much battery manufacturing capacity Tesla is planning on getting online in the near future and how much of the available raw material supply they are already securing the rights for.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I could easily see the base Model 3 getting bumped up to 45k within a few months with the Performance going above 60k. I don't think battery manufacturing is there to support this massive ramp up in demand.

Edit: It's so sad that people getting EV6 or Ioniq 5's for MSRP is considered to be the "bargain." We're all just accepting 10k dealer markups as normal and it's frustrating.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kirios posted:

I could easily see the base Model 3 getting bumped up to 45k within a few months with the Performance going above 60k. I don't think battery manufacturing is there to support this massive ramp up in demand.

Edit: It's so sad that people getting EV6 or Ioniq 5's for MSRP is considered to be the "bargain." We're all just accepting 10k dealer markups as normal and it's frustrating.

If the market goes back to normal for ICE (i.e. thousands below MSRP) but stays high for EVs due to battery constraints it's not gonna be good for EV adoption.

e: or maybe it just means Tesla gains even more of an advantage due to their battery manufacturing?

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 20, 2022

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I'm thinking part of the reason Tesla is throwing so much at batteries and huge factories is because they are building up capacity for that ~$20k compact car they eventually intend to launch. I don't think it will be remotely easy even for Tesla to make a $20k EV, but the stuff they are doing with gigacastings, tabless electrodes, structural packs, 4680s, LFP, etc does point towards iterating costs down as much as possible. Putting all that stuff together into a smaller car could yield a pretty low cost, light weight vehicle that doesn't need a huge battery to hit 350 miles and should still recharge really fast, if fuel prices remain high they could end up manufacturing and selling insane volumes.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Snowmankilla posted:

It’s so insane that I actually thing I’m going ICE when my lease is up in 9 months? I was determined to go EV, but I am not paying bs prices (and I’m not on a list for anything).

Honestly, unless your car is falling apart (and if that’s the case then :rip: your lease end paperwork), it’s basically a guarantee that your current lease is worth more than its residual. You could — as long as the impending correction hasn’t happened yet— probably buy out the lease (maybe even with a few payments left) and profit enough for a nice down payment. If you’re still waiting for your EV of choice, just buy out the lease and hang onto it for a while.

If the used car market goes back to poo poo, you could almost definitely extend your lease. Most brands give you 4-6 months with minimal justification, and those payments lower the residual further.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Sonic Dude posted:

Honestly, unless your car is falling apart (and if that’s the case then :rip: your lease end paperwork), it’s basically a guarantee that your current lease is worth more than its residual. You could — as long as the impending correction hasn’t happened yet— probably buy out the lease (maybe even with a few payments left) and profit enough for a nice down payment. If you’re still waiting for your EV of choice, just buy out the lease and hang onto it for a while.

If the used car market goes back to poo poo, you could almost definitely extend your lease. Most brands give you 4-6 months with minimal justification, and those payments lower the residual further.

Great advice. I agree with all of that, but the shortages make me wonder if I should try to get on someone’s list 6ish months out?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bitprophet posted:

I feel quite lucky that the Polestar 2 ended up being my standout favorite anyways, because the other reason I pulled the trigger on one was Polestar's no price haggling and no dealer bullshit. Yea I'll have to interact briefly with a (well liked) local Volvo place for service and possibly payment (next month? ship it might be on just went through the Panama Canal :dance:), but there's not much they can do to jerk me around.

Relatedly: any of y'all who buy cars with "cash" - I was told personal check is fine, which seems real weird to me given how much money's involved. That seem legit? They really don't need a certified/cashier's check? I guess it's not like they can't just report the VIN/plates stolen if somebody tries to bounce a check & disappear :v:

I think it just depends on the dealer and how likely they feel that you're going screw them over. Mini dealer was fine with a personal check, Chevrolet was not. Which sucked because the wire transfer took longer than I had thought it would and was stuck wandering around the Chevrolet dealer.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Snowmankilla posted:

Great advice. I agree with all of that, but the shortages make me wonder if I should try to get on someone’s list 6ish months out?

If you can extend the lease month-to-month, that’s not a bad idea. Maybe longer if it’s a popular model.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Indiana_Krom posted:

Honestly all the other major automakers right now should probably be sweating a bit if they look at how much battery manufacturing capacity Tesla is planning on getting online in the near future and how much of the available raw material supply they are already securing the rights for.

VW signed a ten year deal with Ganfeng for Lithium supplies back in 2019 and the first of six battery factories in Europe is set to open in 2023. This is already happening. Ford used to own mines and a steel mill, this isn’t foreign territory for traditional manufacturers.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I recall Elon saying that they’re more constrained by the chip shortage now than battery production. I’ve also heard that it has been difficult for them to find enough people to work in the Nevada factory. Austin will have its own battery production.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

Holy poo poo, this. A Kia dealership I was at before the pandemic kept “looking for my keys” until I pulled out my phone and said I was reporting the car stolen. The sales manager who was, at the time, continuing to push the hard sale (on a new model year of the car I already had, for a ~40% higher payment) pulled the keys out of his pocket and stomped off like a child.

I don't understand. Why would a dealership have your drivers license or car keys to begin with?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bad_fmr posted:

I don't understand. Why would a dealership have your drivers license or car keys to begin with?

A lot of dealerships will take your keys as collateral and/or make a photocopy of your license before they let you test drive a car for 20-30 minutes.

They’re supposed to give you your license back after photocopying for obvious reasons, but I guess some don’t or they forget to (“forget to”)—or maybe if the salesperson goes for a ride-along they hold onto it?

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Ok that seems weird but different customs I guess. Not something that happens here. Well of course they want to see your license to see that you actually have one and to record your info, but thats it. Also not once have any salesman wanted to come along for the test drive. Sounds incredibly awkward.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Since this is an american-centric forum I haven't felt it super relevant to post much about how it works in Sweden, but I've never encountered these incredibly predatory harassment-like practices you seem to have. Sure, there are things that could definitely work better, but adding stuff without consent and straight up stealing keys and poo poo is unheard of.

Not even when I took a brand new E36 M3 for a test drive on a 3 months old license did I get a ride-along. Just "sign here, if you crash it you're on the hook for X dollaroos".

MSRP is basically Gods word, queuing is the name of the game, first signed first served.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Since this is an american-centric forum I haven't felt it super relevant to post much about how it works in Sweden, but I've never encountered these incredibly predatory harassment-like practices you seem to have. Sure, there are things that could definitely work better, but adding stuff without consent and straight up stealing keys and poo poo is unheard of.

Not even when I took a brand new E36 M3 for a test drive on a 3 months old license did I get a ride-along. Just "sign here, if you crash it you're on the hook for X dollaroos".

MSRP is basically Gods word, queuing is the name of the game, first signed first served.

USA #1 best car buying system in world FREE MARKET!!

e: for actual ev chat, how important is it to have it plugged in to shore power when you're at home? My neighbor has a Tesla and always has it plugged in no matter what (although it's a 120v plug). I'd like to get an EV but the driveway is a pain to park in and I usually street park. Any issue with parking on the street, and then charging when needed? This is in Boston so we do get cold temps and snow

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 21, 2022

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Plugging in whenever you’re not driving it is best, but it’s not required. Having it charge any time you’re not using it means you can get away with a lower start-of-day SoC, which can help prolong battery life. In the winter it also means you can precondition on shore power, which can be a very big deal.

One of the best parts of owning an EV is literally never worrying about range or SoC because it’s always plugged in, imo.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

bad_fmr posted:

They won’t give you a trade-in value without seeing the car, and they won’t let you drive the car back to the service department. I’ve never had one take my license, so I’m not sure why they’d do that (since you would need it, legally, on a test drive).

Also so you’re captive and they can keep hard-selling a poo poo deal until they give up, even if you want to leave.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bad_fmr posted:

e:f;b

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
The drives I did they took my license to copy but gave it back before the test drive (and I was never allowed to drive by myself, always with a salesperson around the dopiest slow loop possible)

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

The drives I did they took my license to copy but gave it back before the test drive (and I was never allowed to drive by myself, always with a salesperson around the dopiest slow loop possible)

I've just bought a Skoda Superb with the silly 280ps engine (at least partly because I've got used to the acceleration in the eNiro and wanted something similar in the absence of an EV estate). Out of the four cars I test drove the V6 Skoda a very bored salesman briefly looked at my license then came with me and was very resistant to me taking any side roads, the second Skoda with another dealer (with the trim I wanted but not the engine) just told me to bring it back in 45 minutes, the Volvo dealer held onto my license (you only need to present it within a certain number of days of a stop in the UK) took me for a quick drive with him in the car to show me how it worked but then let me go out on my own. The Skoda I ended up buying the dealer came with me too but actively encouraged me to floor it on a quiet bit of dual carriageway he knew there weren't any speed cameras on.

None of the dealers were too pushy, the worst I got was a followup call from the Volvo dealer about a week later asking if I was still interested (I wasn't, it was massively overpriced and the gearbox sucked). These were all second hand though, and I had no real intention of buying any of the local cars. I guess the dealers just have to accept they'll get people coming for a test drive who are planning to buy elsewhere but it'll be balanced by people doing the opposite.

I might regret buying a 35mpg petrol car quite soon but I still think the Superb is a better car than the Enyaq, it's certainly better looking.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bad_fmr posted:

Ok that seems weird but different customs I guess. Not something that happens here. Well of course they want to see your license to see that you actually have one and to record your info, but thats it. Also not once have any salesman wanted to come along for the test drive. Sounds incredibly awkward.

When I went to a Kia they didn't take my keys but they did decide to lie on the phone about which models they had on the lot. gently caress dealers

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

QuarkJets posted:

When I went to a Kia they didn't take my keys but they did decide to lie on the phone about which models they had on the lot. gently caress dealers

Searching the local(ish) Kia dealers, I see the same exact car with the same VIN "in stock" at three different lots, up to 50 miles apart from each other.

They probably have a deal with each other to share inventory, but that still seems shady.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's very much common practice, especially with used cars, to list something nice on the website for a good price but not have it available when the customer shows up

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Lightning range is better than expected.

https://twitter.com/jimfarley98/status/1505894540720418816?s=21

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Speleothing posted:

It's very much common practice, especially with used cars, to list something nice on the website for a good price but not have it available when the customer shows up

“Oh I’m SO SORRY, you know—that car just sold this morning. A lot of people were asking about that car—“

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Should have sold me one this year, fuckers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Speleothing posted:

I for one am awe-struck by how much value is being delivered to the consumer by this practice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

QuarkJets posted:

I for one am awe-struck by how much value is being delivered to the consumer by this practice

dude no one thinks that the dealer model is actually good, just that dealers do provide certain services that are important to people. could they be provided in a different way? yes. do they need to be provided? also yes.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My detached garage has a 110v outlet. Recently the power went out and an electrician came to fix it. This wasn’t the cause of the original outage, but he did recommend not to charge my EV because the outlet wasn’t designed for EV charging. Should I be concerned at all?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If it’s a 15A circuit that can’t handle a 12A load then it’s not safe for any purpose. If it’s a circuit shared with other devices then that may be a problem and charging your car could trip the breaker.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tiny Timbs posted:

If it’s a 15A circuit that can’t handle a 12A load then it’s not safe for any purpose. If it’s a circuit shared with other devices then that may be a problem and charging your car could trip the breaker.

Back when I first got my Volt, i lived in a rented townhouse where I had a 15a receptacle overheat and fail during a 12a charging session. While all receptacles are capable of a 3hr continuous 12a load, they’re not all capable of 12a sustained for ten plus hours in a 100°+ garage. I replaced the receptacle with a heavy duty commercial-grade receptacle and never had any further issues.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

(Since I’m currently looking at chargers)

There’s a few I’ve seen that have adjustable currents that go all way down to just 6A which I read is the bare minimum for charging. This will probably keep the breaker from tripping (if it’s 15A) and assuming your commute is short migjt even suffice for overnight charging but I sure as hell wouldn’t rely entirely on it, sounds like you’d get like 3-4 miles an hour.

Also my payment from carvana came in this morning. Bless ‘em for making car selling idiot proof.

Here’s a video I saw this morning that shows the level 1 charger with adjustable current.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsxJ7xw358g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, sustained loads can be a killer. That an outlet or wiring is rated for 15A, 25A or whatever doesn't actually mean that you can push the rated amps through them indefinitely afaict.