Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
r/relationships: act serious and poo poo the gently caress down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

wizardofloneliness posted:

Life must be tough when using a microwave/oven is too complicated for you. Poor guy.

Hell, getting leftovers out of the fridge and eating them cold is apparently too complicated for him.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

MarcusSA posted:

I’d love to know this guys situation where missing one meal is going to make him almost pass out.

Who had it tougher, a man missing one meal or a man with a cold?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

moonmazed posted:

r/relationships: act serious and poo poo the gently caress down

Hahaha I missed that on first read!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I instinctively picture him with one of those fat guy neck wattles, a goatee, and very strong opinions being voiced inside of an F150.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for making fun of a guy's gf for following him around an event the whole night?

How dare this guy actually enjoy his girlfriend's company or want to be supportive of her? :rolleyes:

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for making fun of a guy's gf for following him around an event the whole night?

Yes, lady, you are the rear end in a top hat for not minding your own drat business.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for telling my girlfriend s I don’t like the way our baby looks?

LOL dude's username is PunjabiPrettyBoi_13. I wonder how pretty he was at one day old?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for getting mad at my husband because he laughed when I told him to reheat his own dinner?

There was the OP who's husband refused to use the microwave, up to waking her up at 2am and basically making her reheat the food for him.

She seemed to think it was some weird quirk and not like, serious divorce level abuse.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for just buying my husband microwave meals?

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 20, 2022

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

haveblue posted:

Chairman Meow

Slobodan Meowsevic

Kitty Amin

Furdinand Marcos

I met a Jack Russell at the dog park this week called Pablo Escobark.

Also a surprising number of people call their dog "Cujo" which seems like just asking for trouble.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 20, 2022

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

pentyne posted:

There was the OP who's husband refused to use the microwave, up to waking her up at 2am and basically making her reheat the food for him.

She seemed to think it was some weird quirk and not like, serious divorce level abuse.

That's what's happening here as well, woke up at 11p with a 2 month old child? :murder:

AITA for not expecting my daughter to pay for her brother/my younger son's wedding after she was disinvited due to fiancée?

quote:

I have a son (John, 28M) and daughter (Rita, 31F) and both are on OK terms with each other. Ever since my husband away, nearly a decade ago, Rita has stepped up and taken care of all of us, financially. She's funded a huge portion of John's life and helped him get a job without debt. She's let me live with her in her house and is very, very soft-spoken and calm.

Recently, John proposed to his long time girlfriend Sam and they've begun planning their wedding. Sam and John have made it clear that they want Rita to help them out financially (again) as they're saving up for a house and a future child.

Sam has a huge family and everyone there have very close relationships, so they've already cut down on the guests form John's side. Neither I nor Rita care about this, but recently one of Sam's long lost childhood friends informed them that she'll be in town during the wedding so they had to remove one guest because of the venue's rules and that person was Rita. Sam told John and John told me that she doesn't want Rita to be there cause 'they're not very close' and 'she can always see the couple sometime else'.

I was rude and questioned her as to why they're removing someone who's helping them out to which the reply was 'I don't like how she's butting in to John's life' and that 'childhood friend is more likable.' Rita's hurt and told the couple that she won't be paying a dime for the wedding and even went as far as planning a trip on the same dates with her friends.

Now John and Sam are yelling at me saying that I've spoiled her and made her into an egoistic loser but Rita's already given them an engagement and a wedding gift (apart from the funding) so I told them that she's done her part and that childhood friend could cover the expenses.

Sam's mad and is threatening to go NC.

I love these stories, "We uninvited you from the wedding but don't expect anything to change."

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hughlander posted:

AITA for not expecting my daughter to pay for her brother/my younger son's wedding after she was disinvited due to fiancée?

that childhood friend could cover the expenses.

Dynamite solution. I mean if the long lost childhood friend is more important than the sister because childhood friend is more likable it only makes sense.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
That feeding hand is so delicious nomnomnom

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Hughlander posted:

That's what's happening here as well, woke up at 11p with a 2 month old child? :murder:

I love these stories, "We uninvited you from the wedding but don't expect anything to change."

Lmao, Harry Potter and the Audacity of Those Two. Cannot believe they called the person funding large parts of everyone's lives an egoistic loser.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hughlander posted:

New addition to the Pete Hall Of Fame

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Yeah, $1,500 USD in equipment being given away because "you're too old for that" would inspire me to matricide tbh. 90 days is fukken generous.

You dropped a zero.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

pentyne posted:

There is a guy at my old office who thought the microwave would shrink his muscles (he was an amateur bodybuilder). He would use it but as soon as he hit the start button he would he would sprint out of the break room and stand in the hallway massaging his arms. And if he came in and saw the microwave was on he would run out and get angry no one told him it was on. He was really weird.

Another co worker was in the bathroom one day and the guy came in and started talking to his biceps.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

B-Rock452 posted:

There is a guy at my old office who thought the microwave would shrink his muscles (he was an amateur bodybuilder).

I love broscience so much.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

There is a guy at my old office who thought the microwave would shrink his muscles (he was an amateur bodybuilder). He would use it but as soon as he hit the start button he would he would sprint out of the break room and stand in the hallway massaging his arms. And if he came in and saw the microwave was on he would run out and get angry no one told him it was on. He was really weird.

Another co worker was in the bathroom one day and the guy came in and started talking to his biceps.

Lol, this guy would be my favorite side character in any given sitcom

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, I’ve known a few people who thought microwaves would give them brain cancer or whatever. One woman I used to work with refused to use it herself but was fine sitting right next to it when it was in use. The other was a childhood friend whose family turned out to be crazy jesus freak preppers.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Can this be one of soulmate/twin flame signs?

quote:

I(18F) have been in a relationship with my bf(24M) for almost 5 months now. We have crossed paths before but never really met. Lately we have been talking about getting a dog. We never talked about names or said any name for that matter. Without telling him i wrote in my notes the name Aron for a male dog. I asked him today which name he would like to give to our dog. First name he said was Aron and it really shook me. It might seem to you like such a small thing but i was super shocked and really glad. I showed him the note where i wrote Aron and first thing he said was that we were soulmates and made for eachother. But then again this might also be an overreaction??

TL;DR: coincidence of my bf and i thinking of the same dog name

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

The Bramble posted:

She's getting mentalisted by this guy or something

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The Bramble posted:

"we've been dating for five months. We've crossed paths but never met." does this mean something I'm not getting or am I having a stroke

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Hughlander posted:

quote:

I don't want to lose my son over something so simple but if I speak up and pressurize Rita I'll have nowhere to go. I don't want to pick sides but Sam's accusing me of favoring Rita over John.

Well at least op is smart enough to not bite the hand that feeds

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OP posted:

Edit 2: So it seems pretty 50/50 so far of whether I'm an AH or not. The YTA comments are shedding some light on my behavior that I didn't really think was a problem until now I guess. So in light of that, next time we to out and she wants to wear them, I won't say anything, but I'm gonna hope that nothing bad happens as a result.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Okay I don’t get this, what on earth is Reddit/OP taking about here?

quote:

Slight YTA only because you refuse to go out with her until she changes her shoes-that does come across as controlling. However, your reasons for wanting her to change shoes are well intentioned (for her own safety), and her history + medical condition warrant your concern.

I do think you need to change your tactic though because it’s not working. Perhaps sit her down to a nice at-home meal, apologize for your part in your last argument (giving the ultimatum), proactively reiterate how worried you get every time she gets hurt, and offer to buy her two pairs of beautiful flats of her choice (Within a price range). Make sure you tell her how beautiful she is every time she wears those new shoes! And tell her you can no longer support pitching in to the ER bills if she continues to risk hurting herself in heels-she’s willing to take the risk, she should fully be prepared to pay for it. Best of luck, and I understand your heart is in the right place.

quote:

Dude. There's a lot in ones life with health issues that can't be controlled. If heels bring her joy or satisfaction, dont make it a battle.

Consider with her some other supports available if balance is difficult. Would she benefit from a cane? How about leaning on your arm when outside?

Approach as a team not an antagonist.

Those are the comments that are most 'against' the OP that I could find. The comments section was skewing strongly NTA when I went to look.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

"we've been dating for five months. We've crossed paths but never met." does this mean something I'm not getting or am I having a stroke

I think I know what they mean - I briefly went out with someone who frequented a dog park I went to every now and then, was a bartender at a bar I would go to before/after certain shows (but never officially "met" in that capacity), things like that. Basically overlapping social circles/habits that somehow didn't result in us meeting, rather I officially met them years later on NYE at a completely unrelated place

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Quackles posted:

Those are the comments that are most 'against' the OP that I could find. The comments section was skewing strongly NTA when I went to look.

Maybe they don't weigh the same to him psychically. Like the opposite of when some real piece of trash gloms onto the 1 response validating them, this guy is just very sensitive to those calling him out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Quackles posted:

Wait, is this about a person who's wearing such impractical shoes (for her I guess) that she is literally falling over constantly and at risk of minor-serious injury because of that?

Because loving lol at anyone suggesting a practical solution is to basically halfway carry her from sitting place to sitting place. It's not a "help her with her struggle like a true partner" it's get her some loving therapy because her behavior puts her in unnecessary risk. When someone is self harming the solution is not to make sure to help care for and manage their injuries its to stop the injuries from ever happening again.

Usually anything that results in getting a concussion falls pretty firmly into the "don't ever do it again unless it's your only source of $$$ and expect long term medical consequences as a result as well" category. Not a "you need to be more supportive to your wife" category.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Bramble posted:

These people are clearly mentally ill and Reddit being on Reddit isn’t helping them

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Killingyouguy! posted:

I'm guessing they mean that their souls have crossed paths throughout eternity but never met. Right? Like they have to have met to have been dating 5 months and exchange dog name lists. I hope.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

HopperUK posted:

Seems like the trash is taking itself out there

e: what the gently caress is with 'disrespect' and 'disrespectful' and 'you're not being respectful', who talks like that with their families? If a relative of mine said I was being disrespectful I would laugh in their face.

Chuds.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Who had it tougher, a man missing one meal or a man with a cold?

Men don't have colds, real men only have the FLU!

AITA for yelling at my mom for wearing heels that make her way taller than me?

quote:

My[18M] mom[45 or 46F at this point?] I forget] is a very tall woman, clocking in at 5’11. I’m about 5’6, and the main reason for that is because my father, who abandoned my mom and I when I was 2 years old, was 5’2(my mom has said in the past that she used to have a thing for really short men). I assume that I got a lot of his height genes, which is why I’m so much shorter than my mom. Anyways, even though my father abandoned my mom and I, my mom worked her rear end off to keep me healthy and safe while also bringing home money to support the two of us, and I love her to the ends of the Earth. I know that in the past she probably used to turn down dates just to take care of me(I know she’s my mom, but I have eyes so I know that she is a good looking woman).

I’ve been hearing a lot of comments recently from my friends asking why my own mom was so much taller than me, and I said that my biological father was really short, but I also got really conscious of my height in relation to hers. I asked my mom if she could stop wearing heels so she didn’t look so much taller than me, and she agreed. Anyways, for the last couple weeks she stopped wearing heels, except for yesterday. Yesterday, when my mom picked me up from a tennis meet with my friends, she wore these really tall heels, and I kind of lashed out. Once we got into the car, I started yelling at her for embarrassing me, and my mom said that she forgot about what I said, but then I told her I wished that I didn’t have to be seen with her in public, and I said a couple more things that I think hurt my mom badly. Looking back I was pretty cruel.

Earlier this morning(like 5 AM so my mom probably thought I was still asleep), I saw my mom crying and she was looking at a picture of us when we went on a Caribbean cruise a couple years back. I know she's very protective of me since we're each other's only family(her parents/my grandparents passed away due to covid complications last year). I feel horrible, since my mom is honestly the greatest person on the planet, and she’s always been very loving and affectionate with me. In general, I have no problem with being shorter than women like I know many here will think, but I just have a problem with being shorter than my mom since I know that it's really rare for a son to be shorter than his mom(and by 5+ inches at that). AITA?
:jerkbag: Yeah, whatever you say. I also like how he doesn't know how old his mom is because he's just an overall terrible son.

r/relationships: I have eyes, so I know [my mom] is a good looking woman

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 21, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Invisible Clergy posted:

Chuds.

Men don't have colds, real men only have the FLU!

AITA for yelling at my mom for wearing heels that make her way taller than me?

:jerkbag: Yeah, whatever you say. I also like how he doesn't know how old his mom is because he's just an overall terrible son.

r/relationships: I have eyes, so I know [my mom] is a good looking woman

So how much Lady Dimitrescu smut does this kid have saved on his computer...?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

I also like how he doesn't know how old his mom is because he's just an overall terrible son.

I can never remember how old my mom is for sure either :sweatdrop:

(I know her birthday without the slightest trouble, but I constantly forget which one of two years it was in)

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

B-Rock452 posted:

I didnt realize till I moved out of my hometown that microwaves weren't standard. Where I live now it seems like a 50/50 thing. A lot of people say the myth "it destroys nutrients in your food" but others ive met just see it as another appliance they don't need, but will still use them. My brothers wife in Europe will use our microwave to reheat food, but if heating water for tea or something she prefers the stove for whatever reason.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I think I know what they mean - I briefly went out with someone who frequented a dog park I went to every now and then, was a bartender at a bar I would go to before/after certain shows (but never officially "met" in that capacity), things like that. Basically overlapping social circles/habits that somehow didn't result in us meeting, rather I officially met them years later on NYE at a completely unrelated place

Were you also underage every time you'd "crossed paths" with someone 6 years older than you?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

titty_baby_ posted:

I didnt realize till I moved out of my hometown that microwaves weren't standard. Where I live now it seems like a 50/50 thing. A lot of people say the myth "it destroys nutrients in your food" but others ive met just see it as another appliance they don't need, but will still use them. My brothers wife in Europe will use our microwave to reheat food, but if heating water for tea or something she prefers the stove for whatever reason.

Superstitions aside, microwaves can easily superheat water in a mug intended for tea and when the surface is disturbed it will get everywhere and scald you, so it's not totally ridiculous to avoid the microwave when it comes to tea. I prefer an electric kettle or failing that a good old sunbeam hot shot.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

titty_baby_ posted:

Depends on how much water you need but a electric kettle can boil up water as fast as a microwave. Plus the whole needing to handle the scaling hot cup in the microwave that is holding the water.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

Superstitions aside, microwaves can easily superheat water in a mug intended for tea and when the surface is disturbed it will get everywhere and scald you, so it's not totally ridiculous to avoid the microwave when it comes to tea. I prefer an electric kettle or failing that a good old sunbeam hot shot.

Is there really anyone who knows this can be a thing who doesn't also know that you can just put a chopstick, spoon, or basically anything in there to keep this from happening in the unlikely situation that you're heating water in something like pristine lab glass?

Yes, it can happen. But it require a perfect surface and no disturbance so no bubbles can form. I have to assume the bulk of these incidents happened before even the cheapest of microwaves had rotating/moving trays.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't really see the point in microwaving water to hopefully boil it without accidentally superheating it when there's literally electrical kettles which stop exactly when the water has just boiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Motronic posted:

Is there really anyone who knows this can be a thing who doesn't also know that you can just put a chopstick, spoon, or basically anything in there to keep this from happening in the unlikely situation that you're heating water in something like pristine lab glass?

Yes, it can happen. But it require a perfect surface and no disturbance so no bubbles can form. I have to assume the bulk of these incidents happened before even the cheapest of microwaves had rotating/moving trays.

Oh it's easy to avoid, but I get it all the time when I'm microwaving water for whatever cooking need, just with some of my regular mugs or glass measuring cups.