Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Characters who are 3(?) levels or lower than a map's recommended level will get a full level whenever they take any action at all. Mock battles can let you make this up easily. Use HP Pellets or bring Corentin and have him put down ice walls for people to whack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

mandatory lesbian posted:

Decoy is real good, piccoletta owns

eh... I'm finding her less useful than people have said she would be. half of the time the AI just ignores her decoy and attacks my party, or it gets blown up in one hit. When it explodes it only does like 40 damage. Or the decoy retreats toward the rest of my party resulting in an AOE spell hitting other people. and then have to wait another 2 turns before being able to put another decoy out. Ball Toss is the most worthless 1 TP ability in the game. If Picoletta could hit harder or her racket had more than 1 range, or if she had speed on par with Anna and Hughette, then I could her having more utility, but as it is she's still on the bottom tier for me, below Lionel. The only use I've had for her is using the decoy to grab spoils that dropped too far out of the way.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I mean ball toss is fine when you want a follow up attack at a distance. i think the idea the idea is you can use it with in conjecture with illusion vanished if you want since it can damage allies. but it feels a waste since soaking up even one more hit is a big deal so offing your own decoy is silly.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Sounds like you're putting decoys in bad places and putting the wrong people near it because the enemies shouldn't attack your other people or kill it in one hit. Or maybe you're underleveled. Do some mock battles. They're fun and you can buff people.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Lionel, for that matter, is insanely good. I still don't get it when people think he's bad, being able to effectively shut down choice targets from long range and draw them into your killzone is incredible.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I made it to Chapter V and unlocked the scouting option. But I also unlocked three more characters and am only missing one more. I guess I wasn’t a big fan of the utility options, because it was significantly less than the other two. Is there anything else that your conviction scores can unlock?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I made it to Chapter V and unlocked the scouting option. But I also unlocked three more characters and am only missing one more. I guess I wasn’t a big fan of the utility options, because it was significantly less than the other two. Is there anything else that your conviction scores can unlock?

They make convincing people easier during the scales of conviction, but that's it I believe.

There's a character you can get that isn't on scouting information, but it sounds like you have a lot of liberty and morality so you should be good.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

NG+ done! I coasted through this second playthrough on normal, using new characters as I got them and bringing a few out that I never used (Julio) and benched a few others (Hughette, Roland).

For my ending route, I chose to follow Federica. Learning that I had to protect three different NPCs in the final battle was something I noped right, out of and hit the cheat button(s), letting Anna and another attacker harass the boss in between turns of Quahaug stopping everyone for two turns, teleporting the NPCs to where I wanted, and Height >5 blasts of 75% of the enemy team. Milo would come out of Stop, charm a portion of the enemy--who would wreak havoc on each other--or beat up on Idore, then go back into a two turn stasis.

Edit: Fun fact! If Quahaug has 5 TP, he can Stop everyone, and then immediately unstop a friendly unit by rewinding their turn. On his second or third turn, you can rewind the turn of an enemy unit to keep them in longer.

I guess I'll do one more run for the Golden Route. Since all but maybe 15 of my units are at the level cap, I guess it's time to do a hard run.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Sounds like you're putting decoys in bad places and putting the wrong people near it because the enemies shouldn't attack your other people or kill it in one hit. Or maybe you're underleveled. Do some mock battles. They're fun and you can buff people.

Decoys are controlled by the AI, who laughs at your "putting decoys in bad places." I had a decoy wander out into a giant puddle and just wait for no particular reason (because, AI), and it got zapped instantly.

Piccoletta probably works well if you remember she enhances attack items, but all my extra cash goes into the HP Pellet -> TP Fund.

By the late game, the decoy falls off significantly. Piccoletta has high evasion, but is otherwise fragile--and so is the decoy. I really think the should have given her another ability--such as a buff (evasion/aim up), a debuff (the opposite), or make her copycat ability not take two turns--or at least not cost TP.

Especially by NG+, her spot is better used by either of the high evasion attackers (Milo for magical, Groma for physical). Or even the gimmicky characters that completely change the battlefield.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 21, 2022

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Yeah I'm definitely not underleveled if I'm getting 2-4 EXP with each action I take. Piccoletta is just not very good. Tried putting the decoy two squares in front of a character? Enemy archers completely ignore it and shoot Medina in the face twice. Put the decoy in the marketplace in Wolfort town to pull enemies away from the stairs in Chapter 7? Nope, they ran right for the stairs.

They only go for the decoy when they can get a back attack or followup but you can't control the direction the decoy faces.

Novasol posted:

Lionel, for that matter, is insanely good. I still don't get it when people think he's bad, being able to effectively shut down choice targets from long range and draw them into your killzone is incredible.
Yeah I don't like using him much in story battles because he's slow and can't move very far. Usually the mages is want to berserk end up attacking before he can get in range... But I've been using him a ton to get money when I had to grind my utility up to get Anna to switch her vote in Chapter 15, i.e.:

"Haha! Yes!"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

While I liked this game a lot, the Golden Route

Requiring me to grind up a bunch of nobodies I left on the bench for a reason is kinda taking the wind out of my sails. Now whenever I so much as think about booting up the game I remember all the grinding I need to do and I just cannot be bothered.

If you aren't using all the resources the scrappy Demense has available can you really be doing the golden route? No, you are just a terrible ruler enforcing an unjust hierarchy based on favoritism. Hardly different, let alone better then Aesfrost or Hyzante.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

If you aren't using all the resources the scrappy Demense has available can you really be doing the golden route? No, you are just a terrible ruler enforcing an unjust hierarchy based on favoritism. Hardly different, let alone better then Aesfrost or Hyzante.

I feel like maybe we shouldn't send the literal children to war idk.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Captain Oblivious posted:

I feel like maybe we shouldn't send the literal children to war idk.

it's not war, it's future circus training

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lol at Benedict saying, "A truly absurd revelation," in reaction to his ending.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Mustard Iceman posted:

Yeah I'm definitely not underleveled if I'm getting 2-4 EXP with each action I take. Piccoletta is just not very good. Tried putting the decoy two squares in front of a character? Enemy archers completely ignore it and shoot Medina in the face twice. Put the decoy in the marketplace in Wolfort town to pull enemies away from the stairs in Chapter 7? Nope, they ran right for the stairs.

Are you just playing a normal new game?

Because I literally did this on Chapter 7 of NG+ a few minutes ago and the decoy ate up multiple enemy turns the way it's meant to. I don't think there was a single instance where an enemy went for anything but the decoy if it's available.

I don't know what's happening on your game but is up there among the best abilities in the game because it's effectively a taunt that breaks taunt immunity.

Also :toot: Chapter 7 Hard NG+ without destroying any buildings. Lightning machine pulled through again. I think Ezana was striking 7+ targets per turn.

As an aside, I suspect strongly that accuracy of lightning is luck driven in some way.

Novasol posted:

Lionel has poor mobility so getting him into position to taunt the back line is, well, hairy at best. He doesn't have the tank to go deep and that same low tank means that he can't really afford to taunt physical enemies.

Typically the problem with Lionel is that I could take Milo instead and have someone who's more mobile, far better at tanking and with more effective CC and damage. (It's very funny to me that Lionel's ult is Milo's ult but you've got to pay for it)

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 21, 2022

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Question about that ring: does it need to be equipped by the person who kills an enemy or can it be on anyone and it works as a global effect?

I have mine on Geela, not because she kills things but because she's always in every single battle and I thought it was a global effect.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It only triggers when the person who has it equipped kills an enemy unit

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It only triggers when the person who has it equipped kills an enemy unit

Well poo poo I missed out on a lot of loot. Thanks. I'll fix that.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Piccoletta's been good, but not amazing, for me so far. The decoy's value is hard to quantify compared to something straightforward like killing power or healing power. When you consider that it's a 2-point Quietus to negate an enemy's turn, the ability to have multiple enemies waste turns attacking the decoy is clearly quite potent.

I've found Roland is better than other folks have given him credit for; his offensive power is terrific and very versatile. his defense isn't great but his spear range and various skills let you work around his middling defense. I found throughout the game, Roland and Serenoa both kept apace as best frontline fighter.

Of the main crew, I kind of feel like Frederica's the weakest. Not because she's a bad unit, but because she doesn't really stand out in any way. Fire isn't an especially useful element; Corentin's wall of ice is much much more tactically significant; Narve's rainbow of elemental support is more unique and fun to bring in to a battle. Her flame counter seems like it should be good, but it means delaying her actual damage spells so I find it's never worth using. on Hard mode it's better to burn enemies down than to spread counterattacks among your allies, because you're aiming at taking as little damage as possible. OTOH Frederica has the best opinions of the council and is the only force stopping House Wolffort from becoming war crime central.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
From what I can tell, Flame Shield is actually relatively more powerful on Hard because it seems to scale its damage with enemy HP like poison or something, so it's not affected by the damage penalties like a direct attack would be. If you put it on say Erador while he's doing his super taunt it can easily outdamage a Scorch for less TP. That said, I'd imagine Frederica is meant to shine with Oil, which means wasting turns planting oil, which maybe isn't worth it. I dunno, I'm not an expert.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 21, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
A spoiled list of things I'd like to see, assuming that they make a sequel to the game.

-New setting and characters. Norzelia is fun and all, but I wouldn't want to play another game involving Glenbrook, Aesfrost, and Hyzante. It's fine if salt and iron stay important, but visit a new world with new countries, conflicts, and Convictions. (Hey, alliteration!)
-More mysticism and magic in the world. I did like the general low-fantasy vibe, but I feel like you could bump up the magic a tad and still keep the political focus. Some monsters to fight, either tamed for armies or 'wild', maybe not have the only religion in the land be a complete scam, etc.
-More mounted units. It's a crying shame that the only horseback fighters are Roland and Hossabara, and the only hawk units are Hughette and Flanigan. There could be so much more kinds of fighters if they mixed and matched with more weapon types. Speaking of weapon types...
-Streamline and differentiate the weapon types more. The game has 4 sword users and 4 archers, and yet there's only one whip user, one whip user, and one hammer fighter. Some characters have weapon types that make sense like Giovanna's pickaxe and Milo's fans, but... a racquet? a telescope? And what's the difference between a rod and a staff? Merge those two. And I feel like a whip should have a little more than one range. Also, spears have a neat 'can hit 2 people via the default attack' niche, it's a shame you only get two of them.
-Do more with the environment and weather types. As it stands, in the base game, only the mages (Frederica, Corentin, Ezana, Narve, Giovanna) and Trish with her Fire Arrow skill can really affect the environment without having to use items, and only Ezana can effect the weather. Some characters benefit from specific terrain or weather (Roland gets +1 Move in clear weather, Frederica gets more Fire damage when it's clear, Archibald gets more damage when it's windy, Giovanna loves specific terrain types, Ezana can pick between wind or thunder damage being boosted in specific weathers, Travis gets a strength boost from standing on fire), but I feel like it's not enough, somehow.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Frederica has super high Magic Attack and her ability to gain TP by killing an enemy means that you could potentially be able to attack with her every single turn. Fire is great on maps with flammable tiles like grass. She’s one of my best units.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Frederica has super high Magic Attack and her ability to gain TP by killing an enemy means that you could potentially be able to attack with her every single turn. Fire is great on maps with flammable tiles like grass. She’s one of my best units.

She's a superstar in a cast of really capable units. Pure damage isn't purely as important on higher difficulties but she's one of the best at it. Setting fire to terrain can have interesting effects on enemies too. They often have no idea what to do with that.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Keep standing in it. Duh.

I do think that one of the strengths of this game is that the characters themselves have enough mechanical variety and interest that at least through Chapter XI I haven't used all the characters as much as I want to, and at least before I've tried a map I often have to think long and hard about who can make the cut because 9 or 10 is never quite the 11 or 12 best buddies I seem to have at any given time.

I was usin' Frederica a lot 'til I got rainy day lady, but now she's best girl. 66% chance for 2-turn stun is almost the same as OHKO.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I ended up shelving Frederica for Corentin, it just felt like he brought more utility with the Wall, Shield, and being able to Silence casters. He also has the benefit of giving the geologist frozen spaces to stand on so she can consistently have a good attack to use.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Erador is so amazing. I captured this a week ago during a late chapter fight (maybe 18 or 19 Benedict route), so, spoilers for that:

He got taunted the previous round, at which point he ran up and got surrounded. He got hit by 8 regular attacks, I think 4 followups, 3 of which were crits, putting him at JUST below 50% health and triggering desperate defense making him even tankier.

---

I only found Frederica's Flame Eater attack to be worthless; everything else had a lot of versatility. As Clarste mentioned, Flame Shield is amazing, especially on tanks. Use it when dealing with shieldbearers and bosses for maximum effect--but, really, the AI seems to ignore counters and moves that increase stats when HP is low, so they'll flock to the flame counter like...uh... moths. See above example.

I do agree that fire misses out by requiring special tiles to burn, since so many of the maps are dominated by flatlands and city/rock tiles. Meanwhile, virtually any tile can be frozen, and frozen tiles create choke points. The randomness of puddles from rain (and the time it takes to set up) makes them a pain to try to use.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wait does flame shield counter any attack or just fire attacks?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I misread it this way until I tried it once, just to make EXP.

Flame shield counter counters ANY adjacent attack with a fire counter attack.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Any adjacent attack. So no counters for spears, arrows, or magic.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

The only complaint I have is that ramming people off into pits doesn't seem to work.

Ramming and spring trapping mooks off ledges is super cool and fun but there's a few maps with apparent bottomless pits, like the mine and the waterfall with invisible walls surrounding them.

Enemies still take damage when rammed into them, but I was hoping for them to fall and be gone. One of my favorite things in Tactics Ogre was shoving hordes of dudes into nowhere with a shield, so it bums me out we can't do it here.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Huxley posted:

gently caress I remember doing that in the original demo, now that you mention it. I should’ve been doing it this whole time!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Frederica owns. How does her ultimate ability work? The description is really vague.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea the description clearly says that it counters fire attacks, which makes it sound like a super niche ability, especially considering that almost no enemy even uses flame attacks at all! But rest assured, it counters ALL adjacent melee attacks and it stacks with inherent counter-attacks as well, you get Kudos for it too! So it's a super good spell to use on Erador early on, and almost always worth using on anyone who you expect to get attacked next turn unless you can cast a spell that will hit 2+ people.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Novasol posted:

Lionel is great because he does the "Sickos" laugh when he takes an action :sickos:. It is super frustrating how all of his skills have a decent chance of failing so you'll have battles where he accomplishes literally nothing, though.

Huxley posted:

Huh, wish I had known that earlier, I don't think I used it once on my first playthrough.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 21, 2022

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

So, uh...

Should I get this?

My 2 favorite tac RPGs are FFT and TO (this is not a terribly unique list; I know). I guess Banner Saga also but that's a game where the actual combat is utter poo poo but counterbalanced by everything else being so good. I'm fine with lots of story, but also want fun gameplay and music. I don't want weird grindy poo poo like Disgaea, or pointless grimdark stuff like Vandal Hearts 2.

Reviews I've read are all over the map so I figure I'm better off with all y'all here.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

FairGame posted:

So, uh...

Should I get this?

My 2 favorite tac RPGs are FFT and TO (this is not a terribly unique list; I know). I guess Banner Saga also but that's a game where the actual combat is utter poo poo but counterbalanced by everything else being so good. I'm fine with lots of story, but also want fun gameplay and music. I don't want weird grindy poo poo like Disgaea, or pointless grimdark stuff like Vandal Hearts 2.

Reviews I've read are all over the map so I figure I'm better off with all y'all here.

Yes, it's a good game, bordering on great.

If you even have a moderate tolerance for talking then it's a game you're going to enjoy.

Most of the reviews I read described the plot as plodding and they're honestly just wrong. It's a slow burn but it's ultimately incredibly compelling by the end.

The weakness if there is one lies in the individual characterisation and even that gets better by the end.

The gameplay is excellent top to bottom, there is no real grinding and what little you have to do can be done in maybe 5-10 minutes.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Frederica owns. How does her ultimate ability work? The description is really vague.

Her ultimate is a 2 square in every direction AoE diamond. It does have cast time but once you place it you can use something like Benedict's ...Now! or the In Tandem Quietus to kick it off immediately. It hits REALLY hard and set stuff on fire. If you can predict enemy movement, with, say a chokepoint, you'll sear them off the face of the planet.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

top 10 srpg for me, probably 5, it's good imo

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 21, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FairGame posted:

So, uh...

Should I get this?

The level-up system is on a sliding scale relative to the fight's level. What that means is if you go into a level 30 fight, your level 20 character is going to gain a full level every action but your level 30 character might gain a single level in the entire fight and your level 34 character might gain 1/10 of a level. It's basically impossible to overpower the game (but you can change the difficulty at any time; I played 85% on Normal, dropped down to easy for the end game then very easy to sightsee in NG+).

I played every story fight and every "imagination battle" (essentially replacing random fights) in around 42 hours.

There's no class system, and no "random guy named Edgar who joins as a level 1 Archer halfway through" system. Every character you can play has a name, a backstory, story beats, and a unique skill loadout. Who and when you recruit is decided by your actions and choices. You can't recruit every character in one run; there are a few gated by story decisions and a few you need to REALLY commit to one particular "personality" type to receive on the first playthrough.

Luckily in NG+, all the obfuscated math behind this is revealed so you can actually target people you missed the first time through.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also re: the story, a lot of reviews go on about 2-hour cutscenes, but it isn't really that bad. It's more like, after big story beat the game may give you 8-10 cutscenes to watch, each 3-5 minutes long. As you bounce around you can go do mock battles, or save to take a break, go to bed, etc. It's not like a Metal Gear game where you kill a boss and are literally delivered a 2 hour film. It's more, "a big thing just happened, let's go check in with our major players and see what they're up to."

Thinking back, the longest continuous cut scene in the game probably didn't stretch longer than 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Levantine posted:

Her ultimate is a 2 square in every direction AoE diamond. It does have cast time but once you place it you can use something like Benedict's ...Now! or the In Tandem Quietus to kick it off immediately. It hits REALLY hard and set stuff on fire. If you can predict enemy movement, with, say a chokepoint, you'll sear them off the face of the planet.

Oh snap thanks. I might spend the resources on that.

I also never thought to use Now! on ultimates with cast time. I'm definitely going to abuse that now lol