Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'm tired of the clowns punching me, should I sell my M6 mk ii and get a RP? I've only bought one M mount lens that I'd sell with it, so I'm not actually terribly invested. I got it because of the illusion of a 'more carryable' camera but realized that the size difference between the mirrorless and the RP is sort of insignificant. I mostly just want a lens platform that might see some love, as well as a real viewfinder. The siren song of full frame is also obviously a big deal.

I've got several ef-s lenses from my long-ago dslr days, and lots of cool old manual lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Canon's mirrorless bodies are pretty cool with EF-S lenses, they automatically drop the camera into crop mode so you don't get the black circle.

Got no opinions on the RP though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

I don't do video so the R5 feels absolutely perfect to me.. barring some dramatic technology update I plan using it for 10 years. To be fair, given how much it costs that should be its minimum service life but we'll see.

It does action well, it does landscapes well, and it has enough megapixels to fix anything with a crop or print at hilarious sizes.

I feel the same about the R

and probably because it seems like they don't want to make a successor, rather cameras much more expensive, or less expensive.

If all they did was update the firmware with what they have learned since, I would be so happy. I own other hardware from phones to synths where they continue to update the firmware long before the hardware has stopped, but of course this is not what Canon does.

I dream of a day third party operating systems existed for these cameras. I dream of a day I can have something equivalent to scripting or even less complex, like I love the new Flexible priority mode, well I did, but the decisions it made pissed me off. anyway lol.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Has anyone seen any indication of when the R3 might ship? When I search I only see articles saying November 2021 :smithfrog:

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I have an RF mount camera, and an EF 70-200mm F2.8L which I attach with a legit Canon EF-to-RF adapter. In this scenario, if I wanted get the Canon 2x extender, would I get the EF version or the RF version? Or would either work?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You need the EF adapter, so when you use it the setup would be camera -> RF/EF adapter -> EF 2x extender -> EF 70-200. I've use this combo a bunch with both an R and an R5, it works well.

The RF extenders won't fit into EF lenses or into the canon RF/EF adapter (so camera -> RF 2x -> RF/EF adapter -> EF lens doesn't work). There is some stuff online about using 3rd party RF/EF adapters and modifying them (grinding down/filing away some of the inner material) to make the RF extender fit if you are interested in trying that kind of thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone actually used Canon's ftp upload in the real world? In my old age I'm getting super paranoid about data loss so getting a backup into the cloud asap is kinda tempting.

Obviously relying on hotel WiFi or bad cell coverage is gonna be a huge bottleneck. But if bandwidth isn't an issue.. is it actually useful and reliable?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's a realistic price for a used R6 in decent condition? I'm checking sold ebay listsings and they vary wildly between like $1k to basically MSRP. Is it safe to say the lower end of that is scams? Is it even worth it looking for a used one?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

What's a realistic price for a used R6 in decent condition? I'm checking sold ebay listsings and they vary wildly between like $1k to basically MSRP. Is it safe to say the lower end of that is scams? Is it even worth it looking for a used one?

Canon and B&H often have refurbs and mpb has used starting at $2300. I’d look very suspiciously at anything below $2k

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Canon and B&H often have refurbs and mpb has used starting at $2300. I’d look very suspiciously at anything below $2k
Great, thanks. That seems like a horrible deal then when the a new one is $2.5k though :)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Great, thanks. That seems like a horrible deal then when the a new one is $2.5k though :)

I don’t gently caress with Craigslist stuff so maybe you can get something good for less than that. But there’s no way $1k is legit.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

And based on what I've heard about gray market eBay purchases I don't even think I'd buy those at all unless I knew for 100% certain the seller was reputable and I knew exactly what I was getting. Warranty issues, PAL vs NTSC are other areas of concern if you shoot video. Also I'm pretty sure companies like Canon run on a per country distributor franchise model. So Canon USA will not repair a camera that was manufactured and sold by Canon Japan.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 10, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I already lost the lottery on the M50, it was a gray import from the local craigslist, but I got it together with the 32mm 1.4 for less than the camera cost by itself so I'm still ahead. The warrany would've been out by now anyway.

Still, considering that, I'd want a more significant saving than a hundred or two to risk anything like that again :) I guess these prices are part of the overall tech shortage and inflation.

E:

An R6 body here costs $2900 (incl VAT) so that's not bad. But am I crazy for considering the R too at this point? I got the impression that it wasn't great at MSRP but that's a pretty huge discount. Maybe even with the lens...

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 26, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just gonna double post because holy poo poo I psyched myself up to spend a lot of money on a toy carmera and went to finally buy it and.. it's not possible. It would just fail with no clear explanation at the payment stage, no matter what combination of processor and cards I used. I even creates a new bank account and got a virtual card and it still wouldnt work.

Eventually one combination revealed that they can't process a non-US card address and the support confirmed that's it's not possible.

I guess future-me will thank them for all the compound interest this money will be accruing instead.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I need a set of extension tubes, if I got RF ones and put the RF-EF adapter on that to use my EF lenses, that works right? I'm pretty sure it will but then again maybe I have the way tubes change focus wrong in my head so I figured I'd ask first.

Or I could just buy EF tubes, they're definitely cheaper but it'd be nice to future proof a bit because I'm going to want to go full RF over the next few years.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo I got to handle the R6 in a store and it's absolutley enormous compared to my M50. Failing to buy it might be for the better because gently caress me I wouldn't want to travel with it the way I do. It, and the RF glas, is very nice though.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo I got to handle the R6 in a store and it's absolutley enormous compared to my M50. Failing to buy it might be for the better because gently caress me I wouldn't want to travel with it the way I do. It, and the RF glas, is very nice though.

On that note, Canon Rumors seems to think that Canon is about to announce both the long-rumored R7 and a R10 APS-C cameras along with a couple RF-S lenses. I'll be curious to see what they plan to do lens wise, long-term.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

This kills the EF-M.

Thanks, I'm not following the rumors that closely so I had no idea this was coming. I'd actually be kind of sad if this really kills of the M mount for good, the cameras with the 22 and 32 primes were really pretty amazing and it's great to have EF compatibility with a cheap adapter too. So I'm not really sure what's supposed to be the benefit of creating a new system but we'll see soon enough I suppose.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

This kills the EF-M.

Thanks, I'm not following the rumors that closely so I had no idea this was coming. I'd actually be kind of sad if this really kills of the M mount for good, the cameras with the 22 and 32 primes were really pretty amazing and it's great to have EF compatibility with a cheap adapter too. So I'm not really sure what's supposed to be the benefit of creating a new system but we'll see soon enough I suppose.

I pretty much agree with your opinion, but its been looking like M was going to die for quite some time. Canon presumably doesn't want to release any new bodies which can't mount RF glass. It'll be interesting to see if they build out a full-fledged RF-S system or half-rear end it like they did for way too long with the EF-S system.

Good news is our M50's still take as good of photos as ever, but I'm still annoyed they never released a M50 type body with M6 or better specs. :(

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

This kills the EF-M.

was it ever alive

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

melon cat posted:

was it ever alive

I laughed off EF-M until I actually looked into it and found it a quite compelling system. About as compact as any of the M4/3, but with a bigger sensor. Way more affordable than either M4/3 or something like Fuji's APS-C line. Not a ton of lenses, but enough to cover most of what most "walk around" situation entail. Throw on the EF adapter and you can use a ton of lenses.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Picked up a used 70D to replace my Rebel XT.

I used to own the 24-105 L when it was first released and absolutely loved it, but ended up selling it a few years later for what I paid because I bought a house and needed a lawn mower and a snow blower. I really really loved that lens, and I noticed you can get them used for around $400 these days. Is there anything else that has come out in the past 17 years that makes way more sense? I'm pretty dead set on getting it again, but I'd kick myself if some other maker had something that is 10 times better for like $200.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Philthy posted:

Picked up a used 70D to replace my Rebel XT.

I used to own the 24-105 L when it was first released and absolutely loved it, but ended up selling it a few years later for what I paid because I bought a house and needed a lawn mower and a snow blower. I really really loved that lens, and I noticed you can get them used for around $400 these days. Is there anything else that has come out in the past 17 years that makes way more sense? I'm pretty dead set on getting it again, but I'd kick myself if some other maker had something that is 10 times better for like $200.

$400? Is that for the f/4?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The 24-105 is still an excellent lens. There might be alternatives that test better but nothing is going to be 10 times better.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I wasn't expecting anything, but it's always good to ask since it's been a while.

sb hermit posted:

$400? Is that for the f/4?

Yeah. They came out with an updated version which puts it back at the original $1300ish price point, and the originals are the ones going for $400. It was perfect to begin with for me, but maybe it had some aberration issues with the newer cameras. The original lens did show a little, not sure the word for it, bending at 24mm along the very edges, but most people would crop it problem solved.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Philthy posted:

I wasn't expecting anything, but it's always good to ask since it's been a while.

Yeah. They came out with an updated version which puts it back at the original $1300ish price point, and the originals are the ones going for $400. It was perfect to begin with for me, but maybe it had some aberration issues with the newer cameras. The original lens did show a little, not sure the word for it, bending at 24mm along the very edges, but most people would crop it problem solved.

I got a 70-200mm L lens from 1998 that still works like a charm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Comparing the original and mk2 versions are a matrix of tradeoffs. The mk2 is bigger and heavier, but has silent stabilization. The original is sharper at 24mm while the mk2 is sharper at 105. At 50mm the original is sharper in the middle, but the mk2 is sharper at the corners.

Overall they're so close it doesn't really matter. The only real difference between the two is if you do video and want to use stabilization, then the mk2 is a clear winner because it's so quiet.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have a Canon 2X EF I Extender. If you know your Canon stuff, you may know how rare of a bird that is at this point.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Comparing the original and mk2 versions are a matrix of tradeoffs. The mk2 is bigger and heavier, but has silent stabilization. The original is sharper at 24mm while the mk2 is sharper at 105. At 50mm the original is sharper in the middle, but the mk2 is sharper at the corners.

Overall they're so close it doesn't really matter. The only real difference between the two is if you do video and want to use stabilization, then the mk2 is a clear winner because it's so quiet.

Fantastic breakdown. I've been going through reviews in the era of the 70D and it looks like that's when lots of people were dipping into using DLSRs for video work and vlogs and whatever else and everyone was looking for silent lenses. It would make perfect sense Canon would rework some lenses to be silent. The original was pretty heavy to begin with. I am not anticipating doing any video. Mostly daytime walkabouts/hikes and photographing miniatures, gundams, and other dork hobbies I have.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
R7 and R10 are officially announced now. Am I crazy for actually considering flipping my R6 for an R7 (I use it exclusively for wildlife)? I'd definitely want to check one out in person to see if I can stand the camera controls and screen, and I guess I'd have to get over using it at ridiculously high ISO.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

By far the best new feature is the elimination of the Rate button, what a dumb useless feature.

Not a fan of the rest of the button layout though. That wheel/joystick combo seems sketchy to me. I do like moving the power switch to the right side though.

Both seem to have excellent features for catching action though, those are some really nice specs.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
It makes sense especially if what you do most is wildlife. If you had an R5 I'd say pick up the R7 and keep the R5 as well. But with the R6 the switch makes more sense. Personally I never liked the small 20MP on the R6, but I have OCD about cropping images smaller than 10MP, so that might just be me. So in your case the sensor might be smaller with APS-C but you're going up to 32.5MP which will give greater room for cropping and you'll get the 1.6x crop factor built in. As long as what you lose from going to full frame to APS-C doesn't really matter to you, then go for it.

R7 and R10 are officially announced now. Am I crazy for actually considering flipping my R6 for an R7 (I use it exclusively for wildlife)? I'd definitely want to check one out in person to see if I can stand the camera controls and screen, and I guess I'd have to get over using it at ridiculously high ISO.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I pre-ordered the R7. I know what I really want is the R5 but I can't stomach the cost as a 95% hobbyist. It's a shame the R and R6 are crippled in their own ways.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 25, 2022

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerm324 posted:

It makes sense especially if what you do most is wildlife. If you had an R5 I'd say pick up the R7 and keep the R5 as well. But with the R6 the switch makes more sense. Personally I never liked the small 20MP on the R6, but I have OCD about cropping images smaller than 10MP, so that might just be me. So in your case the sensor might be smaller with APS-C but you're going up to 32.5MP which will give greater room for cropping and you'll get the 1.6x crop factor built in. As long as what you lose from going to full frame to APS-C doesn't really matter to you, then go for it.

Yeah I'll want to look at the high iso samples as they come out, that's my main concern. I really like what the R6 produces even at ridiculous IS0, and I'm mostly making smaller prints anyway (or can use lightroom/gigapixel if I need a slightly larger file). So I don't care about losing the full frame coverage, just the performance.

charliebravo77 posted:

I pre-ordered the R7. I know what I really want is the R5 but I can't stomach the cost as a 95% hobbyist. It's a shame the R and R6 aren't crippled in their own ways.

Congrats!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm actually saving money by getting an R5 because I'm not tempted to replace it with anything else!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

charliebravo77 posted:

I pre-ordered the R7. I know what I really want is the R5 but I can't stomach the cost as a 95% hobbyist. It's a shame the R and R6 are crippled in their own ways.

as a person with an R, this makes me feel sadness lol

I love my R

The R5 was just too expensive and those file types are massive. And I don't think I could go back from Full Frame

And I am in love with my Sigma 135mm and it would be too zoomed at crop and I couldn't bring myself to consider the alternative.

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 25, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Can someone explain why they're not using EF and EF-S lenses? Also, do you lose anything with an adapter?

What is the difference between electronic and mechanical shutter modes?

I've been out of it for like two decades.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 25, 2022

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The flange distance on RF is smaller than it is in EF (so the sensor is physically closer to the lens mount & rear lens element). This allows them to do different things with lens designs than they could with EF lenses. The EF<->RF adapters work fine, and IMO you won't notice a difference at all from using the EF lenses on the EF bodies.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

R7 looks really nice and I'm happily surprised they kept the MSRP below what I remember the 7D was. I'll be curious what the APS-C lens landscape looks like for the R mount in a year or two.

If I was shooting exclusively wildlife I would do exactly what you're doing.

Philthy posted:

What is the difference between electronic and mechanical shutter modes?

(My knowledge is shallow here and based off a description I just saw someone give in a video)

Mechanical shutter is essentially the same thing DSLRs have had for ages and will perform similarly. Electronic shutter reads pixels off the sensor while its actively working, which can cause issues in shots with a lot of motion. This is called 'rolling' shutter and can distort objects that are moving while the frame is being read. It's probably not going to effect most people, but if you're doing a lot of panning shots it'd be something to be aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The R7 seems a bit underwhelming to me. All the oems are focusing on the more premium end as entry level collapses, yet the R7 seems a bit skimpy: an inferior EVF than the R6, no ibis, apparently none of the usual signs that it'll support a battery grip, not making use of the latest sensor tech canon have,..