Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Wolfsheim posted:

I eventually caught onto that but I was fairly high for the stretch between Astos and Tiamat so I definitely missed some nuances

Also some iteration of a crystal cave/tower has popped up at least 3-4 times now, FFIII doesn't own that idea!

FFIII has very little else, and nobody's gonna give us a 4k rendition of Goldor's Manor, so III keeps the tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

After bouncing off Tiamat a bunch I tried Black Mage and it was a cinch. Now I am doing every boss on Sage and beating them all first try. Just 3 white magic buffs right before entering the boss arena and 3 black magic spells asap to prep ultima.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's insane that Ultima doesn't cost MP

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/arisen_gaming/status/1505644082152062987?s=21

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SoP is both peak Dudes Rock and Girls Rule at the same time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This game kicks rear end*

*So far. Little things could be improved but at the moment its not weighted down too much

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Hey uh...the FF6 PR opera scene is very much better in Italian. I would say anyone playing through it should watch a youtube video of it in Italian because Celes' singer really goes for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tiamat is a right big jerkbag but also you can make the fight tremendously easier on yourself with correct party composition.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I find that a party comp that plays to whatever boss' weaknesses is fairly noticeable, as opposed to running around where they're only pretty okay if you activate them.

Chimera and Tiamat got me to adjust to hard mode play and where pretty fun even while failing at them for a little while each.

Dragon Zombie sucks and wasn't fun. Luckily I had Lich shortly after that and that fight, and it's intro scene, were pretty fun.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Heath posted:

It's insane that Ultima doesn't cost MP

I dunno. Having to spend at least 6 in order to be able to use it balances that out.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Anyone have any tips for consistently building max mp? I feel like I'm missing something about the system, a lot of my kills seem to come from straight hp damage so I'm not getting a lot of opportunity to burst enemies. I've mostly been messing around with red mage and tyrant with one handed sword and I'm not sure if I might need to swap either a class or a weapon type to better build things up. I can get some built up from the rdm trait that gives auto-bursts on kills from r1 r1 r1 r2, but it's not been a super reliable strategy. Trying to farm max mp through circle parries seems slow as well. Once I have myself built up to full max mp I can get the rdm gameplan of chain nuke - magic regen - get a burst - repeat going, but getting there is giving me some trouble

Also this is probably the first 3rd person action game I've played in like a decade so I'm both straight trash at execution and also confused at what's going on most of the time

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Some jobs have bonus break damage, like Dragoon. Jump usually fully breaks a bar, it rules

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Lotus Aura posted:

I dunno. Having to spend at least 6 in order to be able to use it balances that out.

Yes but you also get the benefit of Ultima and the 6 spells you cast to get there

Imagine if Ultima cost 6 MP but it also gave your party Haste/Shell/Regen and cast Firaga 3 times

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

Some jobs have bonus break damage, like Dragoon. Jump usually fully breaks a bar, it rules

Am I using Jump wrong somehow? Is there more to it than just locking on and pressing RT? I've seen other people jump way across a room to hit a target and last time I tried it my character just jumped in place and hardly did any damage. Maybe it was a lag thing since I wasn't hosting. Are you penalized for not using a lance even though dragoons can use multiple weapon types?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Diephoon posted:

Am I using Jump wrong somehow? Is there more to it than just locking on and pressing RT? I've seen other people jump way across a room to hit a target and last time I tried it my character just jumped in place and hardly did any damage. Maybe it was a lag thing since I wasn't hosting. Are you penalized for not using a lance even though dragoons can use multiple weapon types?

Get the passive that let's you jump farther then hold R2 when using it.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Yeah it would probably help if I actually read the passive trees huh, thanks :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

One-shot Lich via the power of Ultima. Sage is ridic broken lol

Getting more used to Void Knight and really liking the sword beaming.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

pretty soft girl posted:

Anyone have any tips for consistently building max mp? I feel like I'm missing something about the system, a lot of my kills seem to come from straight hp damage so I'm not getting a lot of opportunity to burst enemies. I've mostly been messing around with red mage and tyrant with one handed sword and I'm not sure if I might need to swap either a class or a weapon type to better build things up. I can get some built up from the rdm trait that gives auto-bursts on kills from r1 r1 r1 r2, but it's not been a super reliable strategy. Trying to farm max mp through circle parries seems slow as well. Once I have myself built up to full max mp I can get the rdm gameplan of chain nuke - magic regen - get a burst - repeat going, but getting there is giving me some trouble

Also this is probably the first 3rd person action game I've played in like a decade so I'm both straight trash at execution and also confused at what's going on most of the time

Soul shield gives max mp, so you can just let enemies attack you and build it that way

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

pretty soft girl posted:

1) Learn enemy weaknesses.
2) Multi-hitting moves do more break damage in my experience.
3) Weapon skills do a lot more breaking that basic light attacks, especially the ones you get from skill trees.
4) Slamming enemies into walls does a ton of break, so practice good positioning. Or abuse Aero spells, which seem to repeatedly bash enemies to walls.

On Action difficulty, I use the above to get a finisher on almost every enemy.

Edit: One other thing I've been reminded of now that I'm dipping my toes into Chaos difficulty is that item level matters a lot. If you're more than like three ilevels below what's recommended for the stage, you're going to have a much harder time soul bursting enemies.

Noper Q fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 21, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pretty soft girl posted:

The game also has a stagger damage penalty if you are too far below the suggested mission level in terms of your item level. Enemies will also do ridiculous stagger damage too you :v:

So you may just be too undergeared if you are barely doing any stagger damage at all.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Get the passive that let's you jump farther then hold R2 when using it.

It also lets you access certain areas you couldn’t otherwise. When you use it, you “fall” slower so if you’re trying to get to an inaccessible place that’s over a chasm but below you, you can probably just use Jump to access it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think my biggest annoyance at the moment (unless Im wrong) is the passives aren't cross class. Thats fine for things like "way more i-frames" or whatever but it feels weird as hell for like "deal 4.3% more holy damage"

Bosses have different skills to steal in different phases so like Malboro phase 2 gives a way bette spell than phase 1. This doesn't seem to matter to Sage who Im trying to put of using cause magic is already poweful as hell.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Playing sage is basically like lowering the difficulty a level and I am here for it.

Is there any reason to save anima shards(not crystals)? I'm at the point where I'm starting to juggle affinity/jobs with the sole purpose of "must level everything" but I have like 80 of them and if I can blitz stuff up to level 10-15 or so when I switch to them it would help a lot.

e: or if they work for master exp that would be a good reason to save them I suppose

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

shards are just for boosting your level. in fact I don't think anything in Chaos difficulty drops shards, just crystals.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

I think my biggest annoyance at the moment (unless Im wrong) is the passives aren't cross class. Thats fine for things like "way more i-frames" or whatever but it feels weird as hell for like "deal 4.3% more holy damage"

Bosses have different skills to steal in different phases so like Malboro phase 2 gives a way bette spell than phase 1. This doesn't seem to matter to Sage who Im trying to put of using cause magic is already poweful as hell.

I'm pretty sure all the passives with the generic up arrow icon are universal.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Noper Q posted:

4) Slamming enemies into walls does a ton of break, so practice good positioning. Or abuse Aero spells, which seem to repeatedly bash enemies to walls..

Warrior (I think, don't have the game in front of me) even has a passive for extra wall splat break damage.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The game also has a stagger damage penalty if you are too far below the suggested mission level in terms of your item level. Enemies will also do ridiculous stagger damage too you :v:

So you may just be too undergeared if you are barely doing any stagger damage at all.

This might be what's happening, my gear isn't super underleveled but I think i had one or two much lower pieces I was using to pump my affinity up to a certain threshold that could be dragging my average down too low. Gonna take a look at this next time I play (and it might explain why this game feels brutally difficult on anything other than story difficulty lol)

Also could explain why tyrant felt wrong to me, I know a lot of enemy weaknesses off the top of my head from my FFXI days and while I was obliterating enemy hp bars with it, I wasn't getting a whole lot of break damage which it sounds like you're supposed to get if you're hitting enemy weaknesses

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 21, 2022

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

jokes posted:

It also lets you access certain areas you couldn’t otherwise. When you use it, you “fall” slower so if you’re trying to get to an inaccessible place that’s over a chasm but below you, you can probably just use Jump to access it.

This is also why it's nice to have a pocket ninja, I found some shortcuts in gulg by being able to chuck shurikens at the boulders you have to clear out

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Tyrant's got some sort of passive or affinity bonus I think? where continuous hits under an en- spell will build up a vuln of that element on the enemy and it's really funny building a wind vuln on a Master Tonberry before my sage friend just blasts the poo poo out of them with Aeroga

unrelated: love the music in this game! kinda funny to me that I'm able to instantly recognize when mizuta's got input on a game's soundtrack

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

welp think we found the problem

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I got peer pressured into repurchasing on pc and just earned some serious OT at work so guess I'll find out for myself tonight

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vitamean posted:

Tyrant's got some sort of passive or affinity bonus I think? where continuous hits under an en- spell will build up a vuln of that element on the enemy and it's really funny building a wind vuln on a Master Tonberry before my sage friend just blasts the poo poo out of them with Aeroga

unrelated: love the music in this game! kinda funny to me that I'm able to instantly recognize when mizuta's got input on a game's soundtrack

Getting hit by any element will do that you probably just only chained it together enough to proc it with an enchanted weapon.

Pretty much any debuff works that way, getting hit builds up the actual debuff meter and you don't actually get afflicted with it until it fills. There's a few exceptions (Bad Breath, one of the Wraith grabs come to mind) but otherwise it's pretty standard across the board.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

pretty soft girl posted:

This might be what's happening, my gear isn't super underleveled but I think i had one or two much lower pieces I was using to pump my affinity up to a certain threshold that could be dragging my average down too low

Yep this was it, the game did not care for my level 33 pants in a level 50 dungeon. Breaking poo poo left and right now

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I can't be bothered to do manual equips, though I'm only just through the FF13 area post dark elf so I'm not sure if there's really any benefit to it yet anyway

I assume it becomes a lot more important on chaos/in the end game?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
We really need an FF fighting game that doesn't suck. Square get Capcom, Netherrealm or Arcsys on the phone immediately

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Senator Drinksalot posted:

We really need an FF fighting game that doesn't suck. Square get Capcom, Netherrealm or Arcsys on the phone immediately

I'd be down for it for sure, lots of good characters to pull from

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Capcom maybe not but Netherrealm and ArcSys have done very well with story focused crossover fighters. Injustice and P4A specifically

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Capcom maybe not but Netherrealm and ArcSys have done very well with story focused crossover fighters. Injustice and P4A specifically

NRS' single player stuff is good, but the games feel like hot garbage (at least to me) to actually play

At least their netcode works great, though ArcSys is on a hot streak there

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

This implicit insult to Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring will not stand.

I guess there's Dissidia too, but who cares about those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Injustice 2 and MK11 actually really smoothed out their gameplay. The only bad part is they also introduced terrible mobile f2p mechanics as well.