Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

snickles posted:

Anyone finished this or any of the other campaigns? Any thoughts or suggestions? I think I'll finish the Fall of Avalon regardless, but I understand the expansion campaigns are not as well done.

We're ignoring Menhir upkeep but are keeping the limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

I have not personally played Tainted Grail or any Awakened Realms realms campaign games. However, if I recall correctly, Paul Grogan of Gaming Rules was a fan of Tainted Grail, but he also played with some house rules, because his group liked the story but didn't like certain other aspects. I know he mentioned sharing those in some vid somewhere, and (possibly Tainted Grail spoilers behind link, I literally could not tell you) this appears to be them. Maybe you'll get on better with those adjustments.

It’s hard for me to imagine anyone trying to play without house ruling something at some point. Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Frosthaven is going to rule. Sorry burnoutailures

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How about

Too Many Bones is better than Gloomhaven

But both are probably still worth playing

Do goons only have one of any type of game or what. I also have Agricola and caverna

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh, you mean the one where the optimal choice is to always just take a boring rear end +1 instead of any other skill? Also are you just arguing with yourself now, considering you were just bragging about buying Frosthaven? Dumbass.

Yeah, if you want to balance your campaign on “I hope no enemies with Break or Dodge flop”

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 20, 2022

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
In other news, I tried a game of 1846 last week based off this thread's recommendations.

On the one hand, I like it a lot. I may be an 18XX player.

On the other hand, there is no way on God's green Earth I'm going to persuade my usual group to play it. Sigh.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

This thread is perpetually one of the worst and most insufferable to read in all of TG. Just answer questions and try not be a gatekeeper you awful dorks.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's actually pretty good??

Just don't mention 18xx, that's when the train nerds come out.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Dr. Lunchables posted:

This thread is perpetually one of the worst and most insufferable to read in all of TG. Just answer questions and try not be a gatekeeper you awful dorks.

This thread is worlds better than it once was. People used to wander in, ask if anyone had tips for game X and get told to throw it in a dumpster and light it on fire. There were lectures about people having fun the wrong way. This is the good iteration of this thread.

Also it helps to browse D&D and CSPAM every now and then because it makes every other forum seem warm and welcoming.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Get out noob

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Orange DeviI posted:

Get out noob

Bitch I’ve been posting in Board Game threads longer than Bottom Liner. Shut the gently caress up and sit down.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It's too late for me to tell if you're joking or not, so can we please not?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

The Tainted Fail expansions are supposed to be better because they fixed the original campaign problems.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Shut the gently caress up and sit down.

The SA Games Thread podcast just got a name.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Jedit posted:

Like how the SA 40k group is now Goonhammer?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Did you ever hear of the legend of Broken Loose the wise? It's not a story the thread regulars would tell you. It's a TG BG thread legend. Broken Loose was a good poster of the thread, so powerful and so wise he could use Fun to influence the thread and create arguments… He had such a knowledge of the thread, he could even keep the games he cared about from being forgotten.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jedit posted:

Can I host the Aussie version? Sit Down and gently caress Up

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Was this post prompted by anything in particular?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

potatocubed posted:

In other news, I tried a game of 1846 last week based off this thread's recommendations.

On the other hand, there is no way on God's green Earth I'm going to persuade my usual group to play it. Sigh.

Good luck! There's always 18XX.games for playing with the broader online world.

There's also non-18XX train games, like Irish Gauge or Northern Pacific, maybe one of those would be a better fit.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Tekopo posted:

Did you ever hear of the legend of Broken Loose the wise? It's not a story the thread regulars would tell you. It's a TG BG thread legend. Broken Loose was a good poster of the thread, so powerful and so wise he could use Fun to influence the thread and create arguments… He had such a knowledge of the thread, he could even keep the games he cared about from being forgotten.

I miss BL.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Tekopo posted:

The tale of the cereal boxes

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Cereal boxes was Rutibex, run out of this thread for transphobia, nowadays having lame opinions in the dungeons and dragons thread.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Rutibex's cardboard Talisman copy was a thing to behold. Just like his opinions on basically every social issue lol

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was the trad games irc channel tied to this thread or to a different thread? It would've been a few years shy of a decade ago now.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

El Fideo posted:

Cereal boxes was Rutibex, run out of this thread for transphobia, nowadays having lame opinions in the dungeons and dragons thread.

Oh, sincerest apologies to the falsely accused.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like board games and think they're fun. I played Camel Up this weekend and had a good time. I also played a Kickstarter game called Winterhaven Woods which was a less good time I think that game is bad but it's short and at least the art is pretty and the cards felt really nice

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

El Fideo, I don't see anything about transphobia in Rutibex's rap sheet, nor in the last couple of pages of his posts in the old boardgame thread. Given the accusation, can I please have a link? Not to defend him especially, mind you; but if he's not posting here, he's not here to defend himself if that's a mis-recollection or something. The previous board game thread is here. This is Rutibex's last post in it.

Could you you be thinking of someone else?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Was the trad games irc channel tied to this thread or to a different thread? It would've been a few years shy of a decade ago now.

#partyhard on synIRC is still running, if that's the one you mean?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
He was also a racist shitbag but I'm not going to dig up posts from years ago about it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

#partyhard on synIRC is still running, if that's the one you mean?

Maybe?

Basically the funniest things I ever experienced from trad games was when I got banned from the trad games irc. The short of it is that they believed there was a conspiracy to feed irc chatlogs to plutonis to give him material to troll trad games with lmfao

I'm glad the trad games board game discord is a lot more reasonable than that and I don't need to worry about something as silly as being accused of being a co-conspirator in the plutonis conspiracy.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Leperflesh posted:

El Fideo, I don't see anything about transphobia in Rutibex's rap sheet, nor in the last couple of pages of his posts in the old boardgame thread. Given the accusation, can I please have a link? Not to defend him especially, mind you; but if he's not posting here, he's not here to defend himself if that's a mis-recollection or something. The previous board game thread is here. This is Rutibex's last post in it.

Could you you be thinking of someone else?

I'm afraid I don't have receipts, no. I went through a chunk of the old thread around the time I suppose it could have happened, but didn't see it. While I'm confident I'm not confusing him with another poster, I'll delete the post if you think it's the prudent thing to do. Frankly, the anti-muslim and anti-homeless sentiments in his rap sheet are bad enough as it is.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If you insist on receipts, follow these links. I'm not going to poo poo up this thread by quoting them (and it's a terrible gbs thread full of lovely transphobes anyway).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773869&userid=25863#post459483257
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773869&userid=25863#post459634274
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773869&userid=25863#post459449937

I definitely remember some transphobic bullshit in the BG thread too, but I not going to wade through the swamp to find it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Can I host the Aussie version? Sit Down and gently caress Up
pretty rude to name it after my playstyle

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm not sure Rutibex was possible to run out, they seemed quite used to everyone hating them. My theory is that moths got into their cardboard talisman.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Catching up on South Park. Guess someones KS came in.

jesus WEP posted:

pretty rude to name it after my playstyle

My style is playing both halves of a whole idiot

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I appreciate the sentiment of gathering receipts to permanently ban (or maybe give a 12-hour time-out, the 2nd harshest punishment) Rutibex for transphobia (and racism and islamophobia and classism, it seems?), but that seems like a mod's job to dig those up.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

This thread spends too much time on forums drama

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Otherwise we'd only be talking about those awful board games. How I hate them.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mr. Squishy posted:

Otherwise we'd only be talking about those awful board games. How I hate them.

HOW I HATE SCYTHE

HOW I HATE TALISMAN

AND HOW I HATE GLOOMHAVEN!!!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Slimy Hog posted:

This thread spends too much time on forums drama

eh not really, it's mostly board game chat and occasionally drama, like most threads I'd say?

anyway, I've recently gotten into binary homeworlds, never really done any icehouse games before but this game is wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

potatocubed posted:

'46 is an odd duck IN MY OPINION. There's a ton of strategy to it I could see and some variability in set up and also changes up the strange and off-putting initial auction from stuff like '30. For some reason I just cannot get into it and mostly play it two-player with my wife via 18xx.games. There are a ton of shenanigans you can get up to in it thanks to the incremental capitalisation. And some of the end game runs are for hilarious amounts of money.

Related, I got to learn and play 1848 on the weekend. It felt like a mix between 1830 and 1860. For those who don't know, there is a bit of chrome to it but the main gimmick is the biggest and that's the Bank of England - a public company that exists as not only a corp you can buy and sell into but that also dispenses "loans" to other corporations. For each loan a company takes (you're allowed one a turn) your stock slides left two spots (if it goes all the way to the side it goes tits up) and you gain a hundred bucks you never have to pay back. For every loan that BoE issues, its share price and cost of certificate increases too...

If you are forced to buy a train you can take more than one a turn but five is the max you can have and if you need more for whatever reason that corporation goes into receivership as well and the BoE takes over all its stations. The BoE pays out nothing, then 10, 20, and 30 dollars a share plus any value of cities where receiverised corporation stations exist. The only penalty for letting a company go into receivership is that the director gets no compensation for held shares and the corp has to pay all other shareholders the PAR price and if it's too broke, the rest comes out of the director's pocket. FURTHERMORE, as more companies go into receivership share limits are reduced (the director is punished even harsher than others as the lead bag-holder!) which is fascinating.

There are some other gimmicks involving gauge changes that are fine in principle but a bit clunky in physical execution (if they had been catan style road stick meeples I think it would have been better than discs) and there's one bizarre choice as far as design goes which is that instead of having a simple chart baked into the board that shows the par prices, the corporations have a set spot on the board for their shares and next to them is a spot where you take a token that corresponds to the par price that stays there forever. It was very confusing initially and I thought I was going crazy looking for the traditional grid.

Overall, I really liked it. We played a four-player game with one total newbie and one sorta newbie and they took to it well. There were company dumps, train shuffles, and plenty of screw ups all around. The map is very very tight and each corp has tons of tokens so things could get ugly quickly. We made a huge mistake and forgot about the K bonuses which really affected the time length and capital available. There are a ton of strategies I think possible with purposely tanking companies while being invested in the BoE and just shuffling the cash and trains between your favourite companies, something that would basically result in some absurd train rusting and moral hazard. I would love to play it again soon and have been thinking about it since we played.

Infinitum posted:

It's actually pretty good??

Just don't mention 18xx, that's when the train nerds come out.

TOO LATE.