Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Some Guy TT posted:

Really? Why is the size variable? Are smaller sizes used to indicate when someone is whispering or is it just a desperate attempt by the author to fit what he wants to write in the text bubbles?

It seems to be just that the author is sometimes getting too wordy and has to fit a lot of text in limited space.

Here's an example of a strip with large text:

Meanwhile here's the strip in question:

I have to be a bit creative sometimes, but I don't feel like I'm dropping any plot important information, when I keep it easily readable size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

rannum posted:

no....no!!!!

THEY HAVE TO KISS YOU CANT JUST END IT WITHOUT THEM KISSING

but also thank you for sharing it wit hus it was very good

they kissed

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
As for the mini-dustup over yesterday's Peanuts, the only useful thing I have to offer is a quote from Sparky himself: ”Losing is funny, because only a few people ever experience winning, but we all experience losing”

Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (March 23, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire And The Curse of Tangaroa! (January 2, 9, and 16, 2021)

A Sketchy Life (March 18, 1926), this week leading with Marge (Marjorie Henderson Buell), who's better known for a character she created for the Saturday Evening Post, but before that she also did newspaper strips for awhile, so she belongs in this thread as much as anyone.

Art Young:

Don Herold:

T.S. Sullivant:

And another full page from Fred G. Cooper:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Expect a cease-and-desist order from Orville Redenbacher"? The gently caress does that even mean?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"Expect a cease-and-desist order from Orville Redenbacher"? The gently caress does that even mean?

Corny joke.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think it's a roundabout stretch to corny.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Oh. Thanks.

Yeah...very roundabout joke.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it is, as the happening youths might say, cornsville

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Resident Idiot posted:

That was a fun strip, thank you for all the work!

empty quote

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Twelve by Pies posted:

Like, I know this is what Peanuts was for the majority of its life and what it's best known for, but still. "Ha ha, he's miserable and hates his life because he's not good at anything and has no self-esteem! Hilarious!" The actual joke is probably supposed to be "He's massively overreacting and it's silly to imagine being a person being paved over for a parking lot" but that isn't really the punchline, the punchline is just "I will always be worthless" and as a person with brain problems it really bothers me. I'm not mad about Peanuts or anything but it's just early Peanuts was good fun and very light-hearted, and most of "modern" (for lack of a better term) Peanuts just feels spiteful and mean-spirited towards Charlie Brown, and he just becomes the butt of the joke because he sucks at everything.

Wholeheartedly agreed.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba
And that, I fear, is all there is. Maruoka seems to have pivoted to writing another, more different, cyberpunk bar series in a web magazine behind a paywall - Uramachi Sakaba hasn't updated since last November. There are a couple of pre-Sakaba short comics to share, and one more that is maybe a bit much for this thread (lots of nudity, one tame-ish sex scene), but I might share behind spoilers anyway.

Also wanted to join the chorus of thanks for translating and posting this strip, I came to really like it!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
they definitely kissed and opened up that combination curio shop/bar they fantasized about

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

I really enjoyed it, thanks for posting.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Gabriel Set-Up

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Some full-page Guindons today:

And regular-size J. Wesley Smith

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics, mercifully with scan quality back to normal

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

No Mandrake & Johnny Hazard on Sundays.

Computoon: Origins

If the original joke is antihumor, does that make this anti-antihumor?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: The gang ain't out of danger yet!, or Finlay isn't so dumb after all..., or Grand Theft... Wagon? I dunno

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Esplanade posted:

Some full-page Guindons today:

I'm getting some Ballard Street vibes out of these and I'm here for it.

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Been a while since somebody got bit by the rarebit.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

EasyEW posted:

As for the mini-dustup over yesterday's Peanuts, the only useful thing I have to offer is a quote from Sparky himself: ”Losing is funny, because only a few people ever experience winning, but we all experience losing”

I disagree with this completely. Losing can be funny, sure. Al is a loser in Married With Children, and that's funny. But it works because Al isn't always a loser. Sometimes, he gets a win. Sometimes, he takes a loss, but he keeps his dignity/pride. Seeing him succeed sometimes is what keeps things humorous.

The only characters where it's funny if they always lose are if they're a villanous character, or just an rear end in a top hat. Like Newman from Seinfeld. It's funny if he always loses because you aren't supposed to like him. Or hell, Wilbur from Mary Worth. It's funny if he always loses because he's a complete loving jackass.

That's where Peanuts fails. Charlie Brown is never allowed to succeed. He always loses. He's terrible at baseball, he's terrible at flying kites, he's terrible at personal relationships, he's terrible at being a pet owner, he's terrible at loving everything. And this would be okay if Charlie Brown was a piece of poo poo, but he isn't. He's a good kid and he has serious self-esteem issues. And again, the strip I quoted, the joke wasn't even "Charlie Brown's team lost at baseball." Like, he's done that strip, and it can be funny, like if someone asks "Can we win at this point?" and Charlie Brown says "Well I guess there's a chance the entire opposing team could get injured and forfeit and we'd win by default." That's funny, because the joke actually is "The team is losing badly." No, the "joke" in the strip I quoted is "Charlie Brown thinks he is worthless and can never do anything right and would be better off if he was buried in a parking lot." How the hell is that funny? That's how depressed people literally feel about themselves! And that's supposed to be humorous?

Okay, now I think I actually am mad at Peanuts. I'm just gonna sleep.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

For real I would not have pegged that as a milk container in a million years.

What milk looks like in my world

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
One of the very last storylines in Peanuts, possibly the last multi-strip story, let Charlie Brown be quite successful at marbles.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Guindon does contented faces like no one else.

Thanks for all the kind words, thread! I'll look into MangaDex to share Uramachi Sakaba, although "established online communities I'm not familiar with that have lots of rules" make me nervous. The good news is, I checked up on Maruoka's site and he released the print collection of his new comic just last week, so I bought it and will be sharing it! I want to build up a bit of a backlog of translations, so I'll pad time by sharing some of the pre-Sakaba comics Maruoka drew in the setting. They're short!
The first is Cape Sunazuri Dozeu Bookstore, starring a familiar schlubby traveling salesman.

Whether it represents his past, or his possible future, I do not know! It was drawn well before Sakaba started.

Night Visitors

This is referencing the title of an apparently very popular, and very 1984, tune from 1984.

Monya the Grey

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

His Divine Shadow posted:

For real I would not have pegged that as a milk container in a million years.

It's a bottle rather than a carton.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba
And that, I fear, is all there is. Maruoka seems to have pivoted to writing another, more different, cyberpunk bar series in a web magazine behind a paywall - Uramachi Sakaba hasn't updated since last November. There are a couple of pre-Sakaba short comics to share, and one more that is maybe a bit much for this thread (lots of nudity, one tame-ish sex scene), but I might share behind spoilers anyway.

Count me among the chorus thanking you for translating and posting this comic! It was a lot of fun!

Giant Days x Batman

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Poor old Esther. Things never quite slot into place for her.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

You can't reinflate the tyre before you put it back on the bike!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni isn't coming up today.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Reruns 3/20/02

Brenda Starr 5/23/48

Smokey Stover 11/10/46

Everyday Movies 12/17/34

"Can you spare fifteen or twenty cents, Mister? I want to donate to the Christmas fund."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Two Fingerporis.

Also, Pertti Jarla, the Fingerpori cartoonist, is doing political cartoons now.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Yes hello, I decided not to check the forums at all over the weekend, instead I spent it relaxing and visiting family.

Classic Kevin & Kell in: hey remember Edgar? (May 29 - June 4, 2006)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

~Coxy posted:

Goddamn you!

I was going to make that joke!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 07, 1950)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "104 - Jucika And The Skimpy Skirt"

"105 - Jucika And The Costume Ball"

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What is the correct way to post a comic from GoComics?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Huxley posted:

What is the correct way to post a comic from GoComics?
You mean because it blocks right-click -> Save Image? If you right-click -> Inspect, you should be able to find the image file and save it pretty easily. Or if you have an account, you can add comics to your favourites and save them from that page because they forgot to block it there.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

You mean because it blocks right-click -> Save Image? If you right-click -> Inspect, you should be able to find the image file and save it pretty easily. Or if you have an account, you can add comics to your favourites and save them from that page because they forgot to block it there.

Or you could do what I do and just screenshot it (Shift-Command-4 on Mac, I assume Windows has a similar tool).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Windows Snipping Tool works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cool! I don't want to jump anyone's claim or anything, but A+J is the best comic here and we are midway through a ~lore~ storyline so I figured I'd pick it up a bit unless there's objections.

Arlo and Janis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra