Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah probably pilot suicide (or something else) because there is no gliding you'd get with an engine out, it is just an instantaneous nosedive.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1505841208656023555

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Could be a failure of flight controls, then they're diving under power without authority to recover.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

NightGyr posted:

Could be a failure of flight controls, then they're diving under power without authority to recover.

Unless it both severed all hydraulic lines and the controls got stuck in an unfavorable position the throttle should still let you pitch up by increasing throttle while you radio. 2.5 minutes to death is very sus.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Going to guess busted jackscrew.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Going to guess busted jackscrew.

https://twitter.com/jobottomley/status/1505855821430853632?s=21

Getting that Alaska airlines md-80 vibes…

https://twitter.com/derekzappia/status/1505870950725693444?s=21

If accurate data they regained control briefly, though the g forces from dive to climb might’ve been what did the tail in.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 21, 2022

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I believe there were two previous Boeing 737 in 2018 and 2019 that had separate issues that resulted in a nosedive crashes. One mechanical and one software. Those occurred fairly early into the flights. Seems strange to be at cruising altitude for so long and suddenly have unrecoverable catastrophic failure suddenly occur. What a terrible tragedy.

hobbesmaster posted:

https://twitter.com/jobottomley/status/1505855821430853632?s=21

Getting that Alaska airlines md-80 vibes…

https://twitter.com/derekzappia/status/1505870950725693444?s=21

If accurate data they regained control briefly, though the g forces from dive to climb might’ve been what did the tail in.

Wouldn't plummeting to the Earth also cause plane deterioration?

e: You edited before I edited. Great.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 21, 2022

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Will we get a good investigation out of China, or are they going to bulldoze the wreckage into a convenient hole and claim that rainbows or perfidious Americans caused it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrYenko posted:

Will we get a good investigation out of China, or are they going to bulldoze the wreckage into a convenient hole and claim that rainbows or perfidious Americans caused it?

probably depends on some external factors like who owns the airline, who was on the plane, who the pilots were, etc.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

They confirmed that it occurred so we're on the right track so far!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

probably depends on some external factors like who owns the airline, who was on the plane, who the pilots were, etc.

This. I would rate it as unlikely that we get a full NTSB-style read out on what happened. It will also be interesting if they ask Boeing to send folks to help.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Something interesting re: the An-225. A former Mriya pilot (and this is a little confusing, their last name is Antonov) is claiming that NATO advised Antonov to get all of its airframes out of Ukraine, inviting them to stay at Leipzig, Germany. This makes sense as Antonov has a facility there where they act as a reserve heavy lift for NATO.

https://simpleflying.com/an-225-destruction-blame/

There's no answer as to why they didn't.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Beef Of Ages posted:

This. I would rate it as unlikely that we get a full NTSB-style read out on what happened. It will also be interesting if they ask Boeing to send folks to help.

For what it’s worth since the airplane is American-built, the NTSB can participate in the investigation. Whether China lets them, we’ll see.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

CmdrRiker posted:

I believe there were two previous Boeing 737 in 2018 and 2019 that had separate issues that resulted in a nosedive crashes. One mechanical and one software. Those occurred fairly early into the flights. Seems strange to be at cruising altitude for so long and suddenly have unrecoverable catastrophic failure suddenly occur. What a terrible tragedy.

Wouldn't plummeting to the Earth also cause plane deterioration?

e: You edited before I edited. Great.

those were MAXes not NGs like this plane

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

MrYenko posted:

Is there any precedent for this, or are you just being xenophobic for no reason?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Nebakenezzer posted:

Something interesting re: the An-225. A former Mriya pilot (and this is a little confusing, their last name is Antonov) is claiming that NATO advised Antonov to get all of its airframes out of Ukraine, inviting them to stay at Leipzig, Germany. This makes sense as Antonov has a facility there where they act as a reserve heavy lift for NATO.

The An-225 that was destroyed was in the middle of some heavy maintenance and had at least one engine disassembled. It wasn't ready to move. The other airframe was never finished, and how are you gonna move that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

NightGyr posted:

The An-225 that was destroyed was in the middle of some heavy maintenance and had at least one engine disassembled. It wasn't ready to move. The other airframe was never finished, and how are you gonna move that?

You put it in an An-225 and then move it. Oh wait, poo poo.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
The smoking gun would be to know if there were mayday calls prior to the end of the flight. I don't know if ATC radio is a thing you're allowed to listen to in China.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Warbird posted:

Christ. What are odds of a catastrophic stall when you’re already at cruising altitude? I assume this may have been a deliberate act?

Maybe but planes have been put into crazy nose dives by mistakes, especially when in clouds like that. Thinking of Atlas Air 3591 as a strong example, but there are others too I think

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

It was undergoing a heavy maintenance check and a couple of engines were off the airframe, by the time they could've restored it to flight status it was too late.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://twitter.com/CivMilAir/status/1505957365971144709?s=20&t=3ZjlPUIh7zv2TAQLbJ88rA

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The cock and balls are what really makes it A++.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FrozenVent posted:

For what it’s worth since the airplane is American-built, the NTSB can participate in the investigation. Whether China lets them, we’ll see.

NTSB announced they assigned an investigator, but yeah, we'll see what China permits them to do. Folks who enjoy head fashions maid of tin foil tend to use that as a barometer of whether or not foul play was involved so I'm sure the A.Nutters will be all spun up for a while.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

should have done it closer to that town that looks like its name could be pronounced "Chode-sies"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

NightGyr posted:

The other airframe was never finished, and how are you gonna move that?

Strap on a Buran and use its engines for power.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Flight of the Phoenix it and combine the two airframes into one flyable aircraft

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I realize I'm commenting on something I probably don't understand, but...the Kinzhal missile doesn't make sense to me.

Ok, so it's an Iskander, but airlaunched. So what's the benefit? Is it added range? Obviously the MiG-31 has that, it was designed for the PVO as an interceptor. But then you're reducing your interceptor inventory to use them as single shot cruise missile launchers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Iskander can shoot things if they're 500kms from a point where you can drive a truck and set up a TEL. The Kinzal can shoot things if they're 2000 km from where you can fly a plane. That's a big capability difference.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also, interceptors are designed to shoot down bombers. If you don't have enemy bombers to shoot down, your interceptors are just sitting on the ground doing nothing. Might as well try to use them as interdictors by strapping on a couple of cruise missiles.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I realize I'm commenting on something I probably don't understand, but...the Kinzhal missile doesn't make sense to me.

Ok, so it's an Iskander, but airlaunched. So what's the benefit? Is it added range? Obviously the MiG-31 has that, it was designed for the PVO as an interceptor. But then you're reducing your interceptor inventory to use them as single shot cruise missile launchers.

Think of how much fuel the rocket needs to burn to get to optimal altitude/speed and then cruise to its target. If air lunched from its optimal altitude and at mach speed, that fuel can now be used solely for cruise.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Animal posted:

Think of how much fuel the rocket needs to burn to get to optimal altitude/speed and then cruise to its target. If air lunched from its optimal altitude and at mach speed, that fuel can now be used solely for cruise.

This is a much bigger relative boost for missiles than spacecraft, which is why air launch for space launches usually isn't worth the limitations on booster size. In the extreme case on the other end, you've got glide bombs like the GBU-15 that get all of their energy from the launching vehicle and can still hit targets from tens of miles away.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In the DCS F/A-18 (and presumably in the real one too!), when you have a JDAM or JSOW equipped, there is a little graphic on the HSI that shows you your bomb's effective range in real time with a circle that gets bigger and smaller.

When you gain some altitude, the bomb's range increases and the circle gets a little bit larger.

If you keep the same altitude but accelerate to higher speed, the bomb's range goes up much more dramatically, because its available energy increases with the square of velocity.

If you accelerate to like Mach 1 and then pull up into a 3G climb, the bomb's range instantly doubles as you prepare to lob it upwards like a softball.

P cool

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://i.imgur.com/OAcmte1.mp4

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
If you thought lofted bombing was crazy, check out over the shoulder.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

In the DCS F/A-18 (and presumably in the real one too!), when you have a JDAM or JSOW equipped, there is a little graphic on the HSI that shows you your bomb's effective range in real time with a circle that gets bigger and smaller.

When you gain some altitude, the bomb's range increases and the circle gets a little bit larger.

If you keep the same altitude but accelerate to higher speed, the bomb's range goes up much more dramatically, because its available energy increases with the square of velocity.

If you accelerate to like Mach 1 and then pull up into a 3G climb, the bomb's range instantly doubles as you prepare to lob it upwards like a softball.

P cool

No one seems to talk about how awesome toss bombing must be IRL with modern GPS and laser guided PGMs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

NightGyr posted:

And that's in a jet-powered aircraft. As a placeholder capability to prove the Navy could bomb poo poo too, they tried selling an AD-4B with a Mk7 slung underneath as a viable delivery asset, using the same maneuver: http://www.joebaugher.com/usattack/newa1_16.html

Later models of the bomb incorporated a rocket motor.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

NightGyr posted:

They practiced this maneuver with B-47s until it started cracking the wing spars

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And that's in a jet-powered aircraft. As a placeholder capability to prove the Navy could bomb poo poo too, they tried selling an AD-4B with a Mk7 slung underneath as a viable delivery asset, using the same maneuver: http://www.joebaugher.com/usattack/newa1_16.html

Later models of the bomb incorporated a rocket motor.

Always nice to see the branches behaving like kids who can't share their toys.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

It's interesting that in the second video of the Chinese 737 crash, you still can't see the wings (or tail). It's obviously likely a coincidence, perhaps both cameras just caught it edge on, however the angle is different, with the first video having the plane almost vertical and the second with quite a bit more angle. Wouldn't you expect to see some wing in one or the other? Could also be distance not catching enough information too.
https://twitter.com/ChinaAvReview/status/1505856305495351296?s=20&t=8Oo-gGorRMMl_M6CReXIPQ

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

...and the crash site looks about like what you'd expect. The drone footage has the best look. Jesus.
https://twitter.com/ChinaAvReview/status/1505880143616954376?s=20&t=8Oo-gGorRMMl_M6CReXIPQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrYenko posted:

No one seems to talk about how awesome toss bombing must be IRL with modern GPS and laser guided PGMs.

In DCS at least it is pretty awesome. You program the coordinates on the ground, and the plane gives you a steerpoint to head towards. When you're heading the right direction it pops up a circle around the target on the HSI. The circle's size changes as described above depending on the energy the bomb will have on release. You get near the edge of the circle, yank up into a climb, and as soon as the circle expands around your plane, let the bomb go and it does all the rest itself. (At least until DCS's terrible physics engine catches up and makes the thing fall short even though you were totally in range).

I haven't played DCS since Ukraine was invaded, though. It somehow doesn't feel as fun anymore.