Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Are there still those channels that are 'CinemaSins but video games' or whatever that seemed all the rage for a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Definitely. People are still deeply annoyingly hyperboliclly cynical about art.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

Are there still those channels that are 'CinemaSins but video games' or whatever that seemed all the rage for a while?

What do you think?

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

so why even talk about it lmao
i'm willing to talk about the merits of how boring YMS' quickies are, if that's what you're asking

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Thanks to the thread, I finally went out and watched all of Taxi Driver. I think I like the film.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
its a good movie. now watch 'the third man'

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

turning off the Attica documentary before all the Attica stuff happens is an incredible bit, but especially coming from the guy who insists he's still working on his Best of 2016 list because he's just too thorough about watching everything

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Srice posted:

I dunno what the full context is but the person who linked it to me knew more than me about YMS and pretty much said that he usually hates old movies and is ignorant about them (old as defined as being made before like, 1970 iirc?)

Yea definitely has the vibe of being asked a question in class and trying to come up with an answer on the spot

Honestly, if this is gatekeeping, then so be it, but anyone that calls themselves reviewers or critics should have not just an understanding of basic film language but also, at the very least, a broad strokes understanding of the history of the type of cinema that they focus on. Like, yes, it's understandable if some Yank isn't as well versed on 1980s Chinese arthouse cinema like Chen Kaige or Italian new wave like Antonioni's oeuvre as they would be on Hollywood cinema, but gently caress me, at least have an understanding of the history and various movements that inform the poo poo that we see now, for gently caress's sake.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
those who can, do, those who can't, critique

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

fun hater posted:

And Touch of Evil. I know Citizen Kane is the official answer to "best Welles," but I've always enjoyed Touch of Evil more.

Also watch Citizen Kane, because that movie is fun as dicks.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Trial doesn't get near enough love. It's not perfect but it is wholly unique, and you can feel Welles personal anguish leaking through the entire movie. It's so beautifully shot.

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
I wish someone would do YouTube vids that lift the f for fake editing style

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

fun hater posted:

I'll give it a shot when I have some time.

Farg posted:

those who can, do, those who can't, critique

Honestly wasn't surprised that the arrogant man George Bernard Shaw said "those who can't do, teach" was a holocaust denier.

edogawa rando posted:

And Touch of Evil. I know Citizen Kane is the official answer to "best Welles," but I've always enjoyed Touch of Evil more.

Also watch Citizen Kane, because that movie is fun as dicks.

/quote]

[quote="Famethrowa" post="522271363"]
The Trial doesn't get near enough love. It's not perfect but it is wholly unique, and you can feel Welles personal anguish leaking through the entire movie. It's so beautifully shot.

They all sound like stuff I can get into. I'll give them all good faith. Also I'll try watching the King of Comedy.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Not finishing a movie is fine but the bigger controversy is the fact that the YMS guy still gives them ratings in his videos and IMDB pages which is by default unfair to do if you've only seen part of the movie. Him doubling down and going "debate me bro!!" to people on twitter who called him out on it just made it worse. Not to mention you could maybe get away with it at film festivals due to the stricter timeframe (even though most professional film critics do it just fine) but not finishing Oscar nominated movies makes you come off as lazy and unprofessional.

also im pretty sure he's never seen a movie made before 1993

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

And that's why I refuse to say whether or not I believe Arrival is a good movie or not. I've enjoyed most of Villeneuve's other output, but I just couldn't engage with that film and constantly found myself distracted and struggling to pay attention to the point where, in three attempts, I just couldn't finish it.

Is it a good movie? Probably? Plenty of people seem to enjoy it, but I wouldn't know.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ryaomon posted:

Not finishing a movie is fine but the bigger controversy is the fact that the YMS guy still gives them ratings in his videos and IMDB pages which is by default unfair to do if you've only seen part of the movie. Him doubling down and going "debate me bro!!" to people on twitter who called him out on it just made it worse. Not to mention you could maybe get away with it at film festivals due to the stricter timeframe (even though most professional film critics do it just fine) but not finishing Oscar nominated movies makes you come off as lazy and unprofessional.

i think the movies can handle a bad imdb rating by some rando

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
'some rando' doesn't get 6 figure views on their youtube videos about what is ostensibly their career

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Ryaomon posted:

'some rando' doesn't get 6 figure views on their youtube videos about what is ostensibly their career

how will imdb recover fromt his one

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ryaomon posted:

or can they..?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ryaomon posted:

Are you more talking about low budget indie films? I do not recall any indie films where Your Movie Sucks has caused damage to people's jobs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

fun hater posted:

how will imdb recover fromt his one

They’ll recover. IMDb will recover.

But I still think they’re complete poo poo and worthless.

They’ll recover from this comment they’ll never see too

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lotta so-called Pathalogic/Fallout: New Vegas/System Shock/Deus Ex/The Last of Us, etc fans in here trying to codify some hypocritical rules in stone here.

I bet none of you have played the entirety of a single video game, you're all losing content blinking as you're playing them!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I died instantly in Fruit Ninja while not blinking. Fruit Ninja blinkless %

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

walked out of Alien because the alien hadnt shown up yet. 0/10

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

BoTLles spirit never left i see.

Conversation gets 2/4 stars the only viable and righteous rating system for intellectual giants who huff Nos and are penpals with Polansky.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Who do you think destiny will debate on whether some dumbass youtuber should review films before finishing them

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Please be a threeway of Dug, Brad and YMS with density moderating. I think the universe would cringe hard enough to kick off vacuum decay.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Ryaomon posted:

horrofied to discover that this convo has secretly been about review scores the whole time.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
On one hand, yeah "This piece of media was so bad I couldn't finish it" is a valid review, but on the other, it doesn't really say much beyond "this person thought this".

Also, it makes actually talking about the movie/whatever sound ridiculous, and the longer the reviewer talks about the thing they didn't finish, the worse it gets.

I think around the 30-minute-mark you reach the threshold where you transform into a clown, and your review of something you didn't finish turns into a farce

For comedic value, go for it! But don't expect your little joke review to be taken seriously after that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Soooo apparently watching that Legacy of Kain video pushed youtube's algorithm over the line into being convinced I love being fed people talking for hours about dorky video games because it told me to watch this video breaking down Kingdom Hearts 3 in depth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xXvR27HVug

And honestly, yeah, it's pretty good and I feel very seen by the computer.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

admittedly, it is pretty funny that the guy whose brand is watching everything and going into exhaustive detail is going like "i don't get it why are people getting mad at me for not being able to sit through a few oscar-nominated movies they sucked anyway back to watching all 396 million kimba the white lion spinoffs"

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Who do you think destiny will debate on whether some dumbass youtuber should review films before finishing them

Considering he wants to only moderate, I imagine he'll just sit back and watch YMS and someone like Moviebob have a weird shouting match while he just plays League.

Honestly, unless your review of a film is "Jesus christ this is a pile of garbage" you should probably watch a movie until the ending.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Libluini posted:

On one hand, yeah "This piece of media was so bad I couldn't finish it" is a valid review, but on the other, it doesn't really say much beyond "this person thought this".

thats literally what a review is

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

yeah, reviews are just people's thoughts. they're really only useful if someone does a lot of them because then once you know a person's tastes because then you can theoretically compare their tastes to your own and make a better judgement call.

in practice, going through a bunch of someone else's thoughts to get a feel for whether you'll like something else is about as much work as just going through a bunch of stuff on your own so it's better to just go into whatever seems interesting to you blind and treat reviews as the light first derivative entertainment that they are, because the odds of running into a reviewer whose tastes are actually aligned with your own are pretty low.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I dunno, maybe I’m too old, but this just strikes me the same as the AVGN complainer stuff. Do people not know that it’s okay to just…stop watching a personality if you are not enjoying them anymore? There is no requirement to “hold someone accountable” or harass them on Twitter or make a subreddit where you obsessively micro-analyze everything they do.

“We must hold fast the journalistic and academic integrity of … *checks notes*… the YouTube channel Your Movie Sucks.”

No, you really don’t! Just, fuckin’, walk away and never think about them again. I do it all the time because who could possibly give a poo poo and we’re living in a time with infinite content, so why get hung up on someone I don’t like, even if I liked them in the past.

I’m not even going into the validity of people’s complaints, just stop watching if you don’t like it. Who cares?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

I dunno, maybe I’m too old, but this just strikes me the same as the AVGN complainer stuff. Do people not know that it’s okay to just…stop watching a personality if you are not enjoying them anymore?

no, you have to watch the whole thing or you cant say you dont like it. you need to compare it to the whole of their careers

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Do people in this thread like anything other than being endlessly miserable?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i only trust reviews of films that score them based on their Fun Factor

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Roth posted:

Do people in this thread like anything other than being endlessly miserable?

I like movies :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Famethrowa posted:

I like movies :)

Prove it. Call movies cinema.