Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
In what possible way could natural gas be considered near renewable lol

E: renewable means we have enough of the resource to last essentially forever, like sunlight or wind or tides. Nuclear power is considered near-renewable because we have enough of it to last thousands and thousands of years easily.

Clean energy is different from renewable, it means that the energy source doesn't produce CO2 or other major pollutants. Nuclear energy is clean and near-renewable, natural gas is neither of those things, not even close.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mafic Rhyolite fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Didn't Germany classify natural gas as a renewable resource because they hate nuclear so much?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's cleaner then coal but that's mostly because Coal is just the absolute worst.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

ilmucche posted:

Didn't Germany classify natural gas as a renewable resource because they hate nuclear so much?

Yes, but Germany is a very stupid country run by evil worthless neoliberal ghouls, much like almost every other country.

Kurieg posted:

It's cleaner then coal but that's mostly because Coal is just the absolute worst.

Yeah I mean if you compare it to coal pretty much anything looks good, coal power is literally the worst possible way to generate electricity. We get more radiation released by coal plants every year than the entirety of the Chernobyl accident, not to mention the insane amount of atmospheric pollution that is obviously involved.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I guess natural gas is mostly methane, which I guess you can consider kind of renewable if you start doing things like letting pools of pig poo poo ferment, or start collecting cow farts, or can refine my posting.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

ilmucche posted:

Yup.

Several of our major political parties really hate wind and solar energy and keep passing legislations to make it near impossible to place wind turbines anywhere. The coal industry is still going strong, so when they decided that nuclear energy had to go immediately after Fukushima, something had to replace it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Cthulu Carl posted:

...letting pools of pig poo poo ferment, or start collecting cow farts, or can refine my posting.

I'm pretty sure that China was encouraging generation of biogas in rural areas by exactly this. A house would have a relatively small biogas processor thing that would process animal waste to produce enough gas for a couple of houses for heating and cooking.

The show I was watching made no comment about your posting, but I'll just assume it could work.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

I'm pretty sure that China was encouraging generation of biogas in rural areas by exactly this. A house would have a relatively small biogas processor thing that would process animal waste to produce enough gas for a couple of houses for heating and cooking.

The show I was watching made no comment about your posting, but I'll just assume it could work.

This is something that happens on farms in the US in some places and most landfills. One of them closest to me generates all of their own power plus supplemental with a gas turbine.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I’ve gone with kettle on the stove and electric kettle.

But then I discovered the instahot.

Pour yourself a cup of 90C water instantly, anytime. Best $400 I’ve ever spent.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

e: this derail is really burning me up, as if in a clean, beautiful flare of natural gas

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 21, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Agrikk posted:

I’ve gone with kettle on the stove and electric kettle.

But then I discovered the instahot.

Pour yourself a cup of 90C water instantly, anytime. Best $400 I’ve ever spent.

You've spent a lot more than $400 on it as you're constantly keeping a gallon or so of water at 90C for the convenience of not waiting a couple of minutes to get it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Serephina posted:

Partner says I don’t put out so he shouldn’t kiss me or hug me.

or throw lube my way.

Amazing, truly amazing. I hope this woman realizes she is on a level below a fleshlight because at least with a fleshlight he would have to apply the lube.

Edit:

r/relationships: when he wants sex he throws lube at me would be a good title.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 21, 2022

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Lol at you nerds with your kettles and microwaves and stoves. I just use my 2000+ euro espresso machine to heat my water. It's so easy and fast and convenient!

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Motronic posted:

You've spent a lot more than $400 on it as you're constantly keeping a gallon or so of water at 90C for the convenience of not waiting a couple of minutes to get it.

I think those things only use like half a kilowatt hour per day to keep the water warm, it's not really that expensive iirc.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I love the fact that in the richest most developed country in the world people are just boiling cups of water on the stove or in a microwave, and then arguing that it's both normal and somehow the superior method.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for yelling at my mom for wearing heels that make her way taller than me?

:jerkbag: Yeah, whatever you say. I also like how he doesn't know how old his mom is because he's just an overall terrible son.

r/relationships: I have eyes, so I know [my mom] is a good looking woman

There was a post in a previous thread where someone was expected to show up at weekly brunch at their grandparents', get served a tiny amount of food (since they were grandkids, they should eat kid size portions measured by the spoon, even if they were grown adults). One of the rules was that no one could be taller than Grandpa. No one! :argh:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This is what the Mr Fusion was originally designed for

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Motronic posted:

Yep!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

axolotl farmer posted:

One of the rules was that no one could be taller than Grandpa. No one! :argh:

Lol, I really want to see that one. Like, how does that play out in practice? Do the tall folks just have to crouch around?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

You spent how much on a water boiler?! :eyepop: just get an Asian one man...hot water in seconds and it doesn't even need keep it near boiling all day

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

There was a post in a previous thread where someone was expected to show up at weekly brunch at their grandparents', get served a tiny amount of food (since they were grandkids, they should eat kid size portions measured by the spoon, even if they were grown adults). One of the rules was that no one could be taller than Grandpa. No one! :argh:

My aunt insisted on feeding me the same amount of food as her kids when I had to stay with them for a weekend one summer, because giving me more would be unfair to her kids

I was 14. Her kids were 2 and 4. She literally made exactly enough food to give me a 4 year old portion with no leftovers, and then refused to let me use her kitchen or food to make something for myself.

To this day she still can't understand why nobody in the family likes her.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
These slapfights about how to make water hot are a microcosm of every stupid food derail on these here forums.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

These slapfights about how to make water hot are a microcosm of every stupid food derail on these here forums.

Especially when everyone knows exactly what velocity it takes to boil water in one slap

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

But what about making water cold? What does everyone in the thread use for that?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pour it on an antigriddle

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

But what about making water cold? What does everyone in the thread use for that?

I use ice cubes, which I make more efficiently by starting with water heated in my electric kettle

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Captain Hygiene posted:

I use ice cubes, which I make more efficiently by starting with water heated in my electric kettle

Everyone knows boiling water freezes faster. That's just basic science

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Xun posted:

You spent how much on a water boiler?! :eyepop: just get an Asian one man...hot water in seconds and it doesn't even need keep it near boiling all day

Wellll…

It was $200 and it has an on-demand heating element, so no it doesn’t keep water boiling. It was $400 all-in for the additional electrical circuit and the plumbing work.

I wasn’t going to get into a pissing contest with the internet over something that brings me joy.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Wellll…

It was $200 and it has an on-demand heating element, so no it doesn’t keep water boiling. It was $400 all-in for the additional electrical circuit and the plumbing work.

I wasn’t going to get into a pissing contest with the internet over something that brings me joy.

Not in this thread, anyway. Piss talk belongs in the Trumplol thread.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wait wait wait

There’s a way to enjoy things that isn’t getting into pissing contests over them?? :prepop:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sometimes people post things they've found online and mutually discuss them, which seems nice, but I don't know if that's really a fit for the thread

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for ditching my wife at the mall because she was taking too long?

quote:

I'm a 34-year-old man, and my wife is 29. We have been married for five years.

Since we started dating, she has always taken her sweet time doing everything. Getting dressed, doing her makeup, eating, whatever it is, she takes forever. I'm generally a patient person, but I get extremely anxious when I'm late for something with a scheduled starting time. Alone, I have never been late for anything. With her in tow, I'm late for everything.

The most frustrating thing about this is that she seemingly has no ability to comprehend that she's making people wait. If I even suggest that she move a little faster, she gets really defensive. A few years ago one of her best friends dumped her because she was tired of her chronic lateness.

Last night, we went out to see a movie. Getting to the mall before the movie started was a battle itself, but miraculously with the prospect of doing some shopping before it, she was able to gather her necessary belongings and get there with time to spare. She started shopping while I more or less followed her, until it was about time to get to the theater. When I told her this, she was talking to a sales clerk about the clothes that she wanted to buy, and she told me to "hang on" for a second.

As usual, "hang on" meant "I have absolutely no concern about your needs because I'm doing my own thing right now and anything other than what I want to do is out of the question." I waited around for a couple more minutes until she started taking jeans off the shelves to try on new combinations. The previews had already started. I told her again, and she said we can just skip the previews.

At this point I just walked away, which she naturally didn't notice, turned off my phone, and enjoyed the movie myself. As a side note, I missed the first few minutes of it waiting for her, standing in line, and making my way to the theater. On my way out of the theater I saw her on a bench in the lobby beside herself because I ditched her. I honestly didn't feel bad at all and told her that I'd do it again. This made her more upset, and finally we had an awkward quiet drive home. Apparently she was actually looking forward to the movie too.

Was I the rear end in a top hat in this situation? I felt it was supposed to be tough love, but she seems really hurt.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
People who can’t be on time are the worst and you should eliminate them from your lives.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I put my mug of water in the microwave, then add milk, then put a tea bag in it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

Chronically late people will just happily steamroll over you forever if you never call them out on it with any consequences, I would've said something a bit more direct and left my phone on silent just in case, but otherwise nothing has a chance of changing if you don't just start doing something concrete like that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Uncle Enzo posted:

Everyone knows boiling water freezes faster. That's just basic science
I assume you were joking but this is actually loving fascinating to me and I will take any opportunity to derail over it!

This may actually exist and is called the Mpemba effect after a literal thirteen-year-old who asked a professor about it and got made fun of until the professor tested it and was like, I'll be damned, it did work that way (for him (at the time)).

And it's an absolute bear to replicate because there are eleven jillion stupid variables to control for and like ten different theoretical explanations for it but I just think it's neat :shobon:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Arcturas posted:

I put my mug of water in the microwave, then add milk, then put a tea bag in it.

Then you turn on the microwave?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Kuros posted:

Then you turn on the microwave?

No, they just don't have a lot of counterspace (because of all the single-use appliances), so they have to use the microwave to mix things.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

post ur kettle controls

Batterypowered7 posted:

cooling paddle, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

Do it again and again until she learns to be considerate to others instead of a selfish freak.