Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Russia Without Putin is a great, focusing on the structural rather than personal forces at play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I just finished The Dawn of Everything: A New History of Humanity, and loved it. It took me a long time to finish because of all of the footnotes/names/etc to parse through, but what an interesting take on a grand history of civilization.

gwaarrk
Jun 17, 2008
Anyone got a recommendations for some books about some of the messed up stuff popes have done? Like the one who was dug up and out of trial?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

Basically ignoring the fact that most of India was ruled by invading dynasties and the East India Company was just another in a long line.
Also the fact that a lot of modern historians tend to long back on pre European colonial society with kids gloves, not seeing any of their faults.

Interesting perspective but I thought that the author made an ok attempt at explaining how much of a disaster late mughal governance was and why groups like the Jain bankers would switch sides to them (they actually paid things on time and knew how to work with money) but I guess you could say that the author might have glossed over details.
Is there a book that you would suggest as a companion piece to get a different perspective?

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

has anyone here read Age of Ambition: Chasing Fortune, Truth, and Faith in the New China (2015) and is it good? I'm looking for a book on 21st century China that isn't academic but also not dumb and overly westernized, if possible

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know what "overly westernized" means but I liked it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Is there a decent book on the Great Game, that 19th century geopolitical conflict between empires? Seems like it might be too broad as a topic for one book, but I figured I’d ask.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I read Tournament of Shadows by Meyer and Brysac over a decade ago. It seems like it's at least in part based on Hokirk's The Great Game though.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Minenfeld! posted:

I read Tournament of Shadows by Meyer and Brysac over a decade ago. It seems like it's at least in part based on Hokirk's The Great Game though.

I read the Hokirk book and it did a well-enough job of covering The Great Game in particular.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

I haven’t read it yet myself, but Dean’s Mapping the Great Game has soldi reviews, with a particular focus on Anglo-Indian cartographer-spies along the Himalayan frontier.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Thanks all. I’ll give them a shot.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Anfauglir posted:

I too would be interested in anything on post USSR Russia and the rise of Putin. Realized that I know basically nothing about it, what I remember learning at school basically ended with "and then the USSR fell and Russia became a democracy and everything was good forever." I'll check out The Man Without a Face but if there's any other good books on it I'd love a few suggestions.

Nothing is True and Everything is Possible is a pretty good gonzo look at Russia's elite during the oil boom.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Biffmotron posted:

I haven’t read it yet myself, but Dean’s Mapping the Great Game has soldi reviews, with a particular focus on Anglo-Indian cartographer-spies along the Himalayan frontier.

I should probably pick that up considering I make maps for a living.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dane Kennedy's The Last Blank Spaces is a good book on British efforts to map the interiors of Africa and Australia in the 19th century and how the initial attempts based on the premise that they could be mapped essentially following the naval model of charting the Pacific failed, and it involved local people and their knowledge a lot more than the British let on, but also that indigenous people could also subvert British expeditions for their own ends. It's a book I read years ago but still think back on.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

LionYeti posted:

Nothing is True and Everything is Possible is a pretty good gonzo look at Russia's elite during the oil boom.

I can second this, it's a good book for getting a look at how bonkers Russia got when all the money flooded in.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Dane Kennedy's The Last Blank Spaces is a good book on British efforts to map the interiors of Africa and Australia in the 19th century and how the initial attempts based on the premise that they could be mapped essentially following the naval model of charting the Pacific failed, and it involved local people and their knowledge a lot more than the British let on, but also that indigenous people could also subvert British expeditions for their own ends. It's a book I read years ago but still think back on.

Oh man that sounds awesome.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Biffmotron posted:

Chairman Capone posted:

Dane Kennedy's The Last Blank Spaces is a good book on British efforts to map the interiors of Africa and Australia in the 19th century

Thanks for these recs, I bought both of them.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I remember reading somewhere that the Russian government didn't want peasants to brew alcohol because it reduced food production. Is there anything that mentions this?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FPyat posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the Russian government didn't want peasants to brew alcohol because it reduced food production. Is there anything that mentions this?

It does come up from time to time but you'll probably have to get more specific about a time period if you want a book that discusses it. Basically multiple times throughout history when grain prices got too low, peasants would stop selling grain and start using it to make alcohol instead because it was more valuable and could be stored longer. It was a way to defer selling grain until higher prices by using it to make a higher-value product, or to get shitfaced, depending on the quality of the alcohol. The state, which often had a need for grain (to feed armies and cities, to sell abroad, etc.), did try to crack down on this in different ways at different times. I'm not sure if she discusses this specific thing in the book, but the closest book that comes to mind that's likely to talk about it is Patricia Herlihy's The Alcoholic Empire: Vodka and Politics in Late Imperial Russia, which is obviously about the late imperial period. Some books on NEP and collectivization in the 20s and 30s probably discuss it as well, but I couldn't say which ones with confidence.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Lawman 0 posted:

Interesting perspective but I thought that the author made an ok attempt at explaining how much of a disaster late mughal governance was and why groups like the Jain bankers would switch sides to them (they actually paid things on time and knew how to work with money) but I guess you could say that the author might have glossed over details.
Is there a book that you would suggest as a companion piece to get a different perspective?

Basically anything about Nader Shah invasion deals with it plus anything about Aurangzeb attempt to force convert the Hindus of India.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

Basically anything about Nader Shah invasion deals with it plus anything about Aurangzeb attempt to force convert the Hindus of India.

I would absolutely love a book about Nader Shah and the history of Iran during that period do you have suggestions?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I'm interested in the cattle herding cultures of South Sudan like the Dinka and Nuer, does anyone know of any books? I guess it could fall more under anthropology than history but asking anyway. Histories that deal with the region or surrounding ones would also be cool.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Grevling posted:

I'm interested in the cattle herding cultures of South Sudan like the Dinka and Nuer, does anyone know of any books? I guess it could fall more under anthropology than history but asking anyway. Histories that deal with the region or surrounding ones would also be cool.

I don't know specific titles but the Nuer had a lot written about them from a cultural anthropology perspective.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

I don't know specific titles but the Nuer had a lot written about them from a cultural anthropology perspective.

Yeah I should probably just look for those I guess.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I am currently reading A World Undone by G. J. Meyer about WW1.

I am looking for a couple of book recommendations:

* About the mutiny in the French army in 1917. He mentions that the French archives would be opened in 2017 (after he wrote the book). Are there any books in English about the mutiny that use the archives?

* About general Ottoman Empire/Turkey stuff ca. 1914-1924. Any good books about that?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Per posted:

* About the mutiny in the French army in 1917. He mentions that the French archives would be opened in 2017 (after he wrote the book). Are there any books in English about the mutiny that use the archives?

Short answer: No. If those archival records were indeed even opened it will take many years to compile enough good research through it to publish an entire book on it. Especially in English. And Covid put a hard stop into most archival research for like a year so that doesn’t help.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any recommendations for general overviews that aren't too academic of

- the Crimean War
- the Russian occupation of Afghaistan in the 80s?

I just read Dalrymple's Return of A King and I want to know more about what happened next between England and Russia and more about ill conceived invasions of Afghanistan

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The Bear Went Over the Mountain and Zinky Boys are two books you frequently hear about, regarding the Soviet-Afghanistan war.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
What are the best books that haven't been translated into English? I wonder what I'm missing out on. There's an 800-page biography of Willy Brandt by Peter Merseberger that I'd read if I knew German.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hannibal Rex posted:

The Bear Went Over the Mountain and Zinky Boys are two books you frequently hear about, regarding the Soviet-Afghanistan war.

Thank you, added to my list.
They both seem a bit like oral histories though, I don't know much about the period so I was hoping for a general overview to get an idea of the political landscape and a narrative of the whole conflict. If there isn't such a book that isn't really biased I'll check those 2 out first

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

EoinCannon posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for general overviews that aren't too academic of

- the Crimean War
- the Russian occupation of Afghaistan in the 80s?

I just read Dalrymple's Return of A King and I want to know more about what happened next between England and Russia and more about ill conceived invasions of Afghanistan

I recently read and enjoyed Crimea by Orlando Figes, so I'd recommend that on the subject of the Crimean War.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Shivers posted:

I recently read and enjoyed Crimea by Orlando Figes, so I'd recommend that on the subject of the Crimean War.

Can also recommend.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Did Figes ever recover from exploding his divorce out in public and the review sockpuppet thing? I liked People's Tragedy and it'd be nice to be able to recommend it to folks again.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Did Figes ever recover from exploding his divorce out in public and the review sockpuppet thing? I liked People's Tragedy and it'd be nice to be able to recommend it to folks again.

Short answer, no. But People’s Tragedy is still an amazingly readable history of the Russian revolutions. Crimea is pretty solid, even though some sources are dubious. The Whisperers contains outright fabrications, so you should probably avoid that one. He was also right about Putin, so there’s that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

His professional reputation hasn’t but if you keep what happened in mind he still writes good books. Like, if you’re working on your Master’s Thesis you probably can’t use him as a source. But you just want to read and learn history? Yeah he puts out good stuff.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 5, 2022

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

What happened???

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

What happened???

He posted Amazon reviews trashing books written by his academic rivals and saying everyone should read books written by Orlando Figes instead, and when caught (very easily, turns out his Amazon username was something about as subtle as "OrlandoF") he claimed his wife did it before coming clean that actually he wrote them.

Later he was accused of some kind of academic misconduct (at best being sloppy with his citations, at worst fabricating sources) for a different book.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That owns tbh.

Todd Howard used to go on Usenet groups and tell people they should be playing Elder Scrolls over whatever game they were discussing. It's a pro move that winners make.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

quote:

And lastly there’s Orlando Figes, described by the Guardian as a prominent British historian at the University of London. Figes used the sockpuppets “orlando-birkbeck “ and “historian” to trash some of his rivals on Amazon. (Who knew academics were so viciously competitive?) And he wasn’t beyond posting a review that put in a good word or two for his own work, such as “a fascinating book…leaves the reader awed, humbled, and yet uplifted.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for the Figes recommendation, thread. I'm enjoying it so far

After this and the Russian Afghan war I can tell I'm going to want to learn about the Balkans