Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Nobody plays tribal decks anymore, there's too much Plague Engineer!

the only downside of the lurrus ban is that plague engineer is now modern legal again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

flatluigi posted:

shutting down mtgo is maybe the top thing after removing the reserve list that would get people so upset at wotc that they genuinely would never touch the game again

the people who have money to throw around have several thousands of dollars or more invested in mtg and would have that investment nearly zeroed out overnight if that happened

Most people I know who play are anti reserve list

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ilmucche posted:

Most people I know who play are anti reserve list

the reserve list sucks and it's terrible for the state of gameplay that there's a low, finite amount of extremely important game pieces out there. i would also like it to go away

that still doesn't stop there being a chunk of people who think it's extremely important those cards keep their value and are ready to sue wotc if they ever move in that direction + it'd generally destabilize that whole card economy even if/when wotc wins the suit

things can both be a good idea and a loaded gun at the same time

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

There are like half a dozen people who want the reserved list, but they have a lot of money

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Killing the reserved list will inevitably happen and herald the end of MTG.
Even though they'll only break the reserved list glass when MTG is about to die anyways.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Killing the reserved list will inevitably happen and herald the end of MTG.
Even though they'll only break the reserved list glass when MTG is about to die anyways.

I immediately thought of how a star burns through its hydrogen and helium then starts burning through heavier elements right before it goes kaboom.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
oh noes my Magic: The Gathering investment portfolio I'M RUINED I WILL SUE YOU FOR THIS

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Reserved list masters paper run when

Like what would people even complain about if it was a supplementary set? It'd sell an obscene amount if it wasn't a short print run

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Reynold posted:

oh noes my Magic: The Gathering investment portfolio I'M RUINED I WILL SUE YOU FOR THIS

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNGAL BLOOM! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

Nobody plays tribal decks anymore, there's too much Plague Engineer!

Fury is the real thing keeping decks like Elves in check I think.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Also, if nobody plays tribal because plague engineer, then you just have to wait until people stop playing plague engineer because nobody plays tribal! Then you can tribal all over FNM until people sigh and put their plague engineers back in the sideboard. It helps to have a second deck though.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
one of the things that most annoys me about the reserved list is that its not just "no reprints of this card ever" but they dont allow for functional reprints of cards that would be perfectly good to include in standard.

Like Desertion https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=416864

or Thunder Spirit https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=159318

like ok you dont want to reprint underground sea but how about giving me my dumb mirage rares

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A Moose posted:

Also, if nobody plays tribal because plague engineer, then you just have to wait until people stop playing plague engineer because nobody plays tribal! Then you can tribal all over FNM until people sigh and put their plague engineers back in the sideboard. It helps to have a second deck though.

Ah, the dredge cycle.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Nastier Nate posted:

one of the things that most annoys me about the reserved list is that its not just "no reprints of this card ever" but they dont allow for functional reprints of cards that would be perfectly good to include in standard.

Like Desertion https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=416864

or Thunder Spirit https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=159318

like ok you dont want to reprint underground sea but how about giving me my dumb mirage rares

At least they're experimenting with ways around that, like Echo of Eons in Modern Horizons.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

If you think WW1 first strike 2/2 flier is relevant in today's limited environment, wizards is doing you a favour by not reprinting it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hey, thunder sprit is probably a solid c level common in a modern core set

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

kalel posted:

hey, thunder sprit is probably a solid c level common in a modern core set

Vanilla Wind Drake has been less and less relevant every set that goes by, making one harder to cast for first strike puts it at like D+

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

A Moose posted:

Also, if nobody plays tribal because plague engineer, then you just have to wait until people stop playing plague engineer because nobody plays tribal!

People will never stop to play tribal, even with plague engineer around. It's like Jund or UW control, there will always be people trying to play these strategies, even when they are terrible decks.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 21, 2022

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lone Goat posted:

If you think WW1 first strike 2/2 flier is relevant in today's limited environment, wizards is doing you a favour by not reprinting it.

First strike is pretty big game though, especially on defence. Like Wind Drake (and it's counterpart Phantom Monster) are both pretty medium, but it doesn't take a whole lot to make them good. Think Pegasus Courser in M19

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Fury is the real thing keeping decks like Elves in check I think.

Nah. A good tribal deck should have An Out to a wrath (which is fury's ceiling). But also Elves just doesn't have an answer to Engineer or Fury, or anything really. I'd say of the five tribal decks in Modern it's the bottom.
It's not as versitile as Zombies, it can't grind like Goblins, It can't control like Humans, and it can't tempo like Fish. Also, all of those easily beat a Fury.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I mean, did Aerial Responder see any play outside maybe Limited?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Nastier Nate posted:

Good news about Desertion!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I mean, did Aerial Responder see any play outside maybe Limited?

It has like five printing though so even if it's not a constructed bomb WOTC likes the design space.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Nah. A good tribal deck should have An Out to a wrath (which is fury's ceiling). But also Elves just doesn't have an answer to Engineer or Fury, or anything really. I'd say of the five tribal decks in Modern it's the bottom.
It's not as versitile as Zombies, it can't grind like Goblins, It can't control like Humans, and it can't tempo like Fish. Also, all of those easily beat a Fury.

You're right, print glimpse of nature into modern WotC you cowards!!

Elves is definitely the worst of them, but it's also hilariously fun to play so I'll never fully get rid of it. Though, I'm also not buying caverns either

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

jfc just had a Limited game where my opponent had FIVE Intercessor's Arrests

Nobody's beating that poo poo

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

First strike is pretty big game though, especially on defence. Like Wind Drake (and it's counterpart Phantom Monster) are both pretty medium, but it doesn't take a whole lot to make them good. Think Pegasus Courser in M19

It's the WW1 casting cost that kills it because that is a premium casting cost for a card that sucks rear end. If you're putting this card in your deck it's forces you to heavily slant your mana base towards plains to be able to cast it at a relevant time. Look at the mana costs in the last few sets and tell me how often you see double of the same colour on a common, it's less frequent than you think.

I'm glad you brought up Pegasus Courser because it's the nearest comparison and it's very medium. Ask yourself when the last time you were excited to play it, and if then how you'd feel if it was harder to cast for a second toughness. For a real comparison look at Ardenvale Tactician and laugh at how bad Thunder Spirit is. Now that I'm thinking about it I'm lowering the grade from D+ to D.

I dunno if the reserve list prevents them from making 2/2 first strike flier for WW (two mana) but that would be a printable uncommon ad no more egregious than some of the wild stuff we see these days.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Pegasus Courser was good though? In M19 at least, where white was very aggressive and so welcomed the ability to make other stuff flying (especially Star Crowned Stag)

Obviously it depends on context, like the Wind Drake + Frost Lynx in Strixhaven (forgot the name) which everyone assumed would be amazing. I could definitely imagine a set where 1WW for a 2/2 first flyer is fine to good, especially since it's not too bad late since it tangles well and is very very good to put auras and counters on if those are good in the set. OTOH if being base white is bad, white is not particularly aggressive, there are lots of removal spells that hit 2 toughness creatures or flying 3+ toughness creatures abound it might not be great.

Comparing to Ardenvale Tactician is a bit disingenuous I think since that's one of the best white limited commons ever so, yeah it's going to be worse by comparison. But there's a lot of room for maneuver between "first pickable common" and "D" imo. Having said that, I would imagine that it would be overdrafted and so not something you'd play as much as the community at large - people *love* their Wind Drake's and Phantom Monsters because a ton of people still follow BREAD religiously when drafting.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If a storm spirit got functionally reprinted with a creature type that was very relevant in a particular draft format it would probably be decent as a 20-23rd spot in your deck.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Elvis_Maximus posted:

You're right, print glimpse of nature into modern WotC you cowards!!

The monkey's paw already curled on this one.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

The monkey's paw already curled on this one.

Oh dang, I forgot that it actually WAS a modern legal card

Well in that case unban it :colbert:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Oh dang, I forgot that it actually WAS a modern legal card

Well in that case unban it :colbert:

It's not banned, it isn't modern legal because it was only reprinted in supplemental sets since 6th edition, which was pre modern.

EDIT: Whoops i somehow got the wires crossed on two different convos and thought this was about Desertion

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 21, 2022

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Ehh, it's 3 mana sorcery removal. Very aggressive or very grindy decks can beat that. Depends on how the game plays out but drawing five Arrests can easily be too clunky.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

Pegasus Courser was good though? In M19 at least, where white was very aggressive and so welcomed the ability to make other stuff flying (especially Star Crowned Stag)

Obviously it depends on context, like the Wind Drake + Frost Lynx in Strixhaven (forgot the name) which everyone assumed would be amazing. I could definitely imagine a set where 1WW for a 2/2 first flyer is fine to good, especially since it's not too bad late since it tangles well and is very very good to put auras and counters on if those are good in the set. OTOH if being base white is bad, white is not particularly aggressive, there are lots of removal spells that hit 2 toughness creatures or flying 3+ toughness creatures abound it might not be great.

Comparing to Ardenvale Tactician is a bit disingenuous I think since that's one of the best white limited commons ever so, yeah it's going to be worse by comparison. But there's a lot of room for maneuver between "first pickable common" and "D" imo. Having said that, I would imagine that it would be overdrafted and so not something you'd play as much as the community at large - people *love* their Wind Drake's and Phantom Monsters because a ton of people still follow BREAD religiously when drafting.
Not gonna lie I thought you meant Pegasus Charger, the 2/1 first strike flier, the card you actually said is a little better but not a lot.

The bread eaters are the ones that most need thunder spirit to not exist so that they don't ruin their decks by playing it!

Look at a single deck you've played in the past three years and tell me if there's a single one that wants this slop.

The Shortest Path posted:

If a storm spirit got functionally reprinted with a creature type that was very relevant in a particular draft format it would probably be decent as a 20-23rd spot in your deck.

Filler I don't give a poo poo about is the definition of a D. Draft these days is filled with playables and if I'm putting so called "20-23rd" cards in my deck, that means my deck is bad.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The Shortest Path posted:

It's not banned, it isn't modern legal because it was only reprinted in supplemental sets since 6th edition, which was pre modern.

Glimpse of Nature was in Champions of Kamigawa and is in fact, Banned in Modern

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Froghammer posted:

instant speed enchantment removal on arrest is a savage beating if you have it

Lone Goat posted:

i will draft thunder spirits all day everyday in most drafts

ok maybe not all day but i'd be very happy to pick it up like 5th or 6th pick in a booster

The Nastier Nate fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 21, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cactrot posted:

Glimpse of Nature was in Champions of Kamigawa and is in fact, Banned in Modern

Yeah I mixed up two posts and thought they were talking about Desertion lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Glimpse apparently was on the initial ban list I guess

In legacy I don't think it's played anywhere other than elves right? The deck is obviously a lot stronger when all your elves draw you cards, but without GSZ and gaia's cradle I wonder if it's actually too good for modern anymore. You never hear about elves destroying no ban list events

Especially considering how much more powerful the format is, in addition to plague engineer and such being effective at keeping it in check

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I think glimpse is a perfectly safe unban in modern however I would also unban hypergenesis so I can't be trusted with these decisions.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

A Moose posted:

Great news, no one plays plague engineer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Great news, no one plays plague engineer!

Prior to the Larrus ban sure but I can definitely see it getting sideboarded again now.