Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

I've played a bucketload of MOO over the years and have finally moved on to MOO 2. Why does it take so, so long to build anything? I'm talking 30-80+ turns for the cheapest available item. It feels weird to build a colony ship for an in-system colony that will take 90 turns so I can begin to start my empire. And this doesn't feel like just a problem for the beginning turns either, it's like all production times are inflated x8. I've tried fiddling with the citizen icons on the colony screen. Is this just the game? Has MOO ruined me with its snappy gameplay?

I think I usually paid to expedite the first couple production buildings of new colonies, unless I'm misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lampsacus posted:

I've played a bucketload of MOO over the years and have finally moved on to MOO 2. Why does it take so, so long to build anything? I'm talking 30-80+ turns for the cheapest available item. It feels weird to build a colony ship for an in-system colony that will take 90 turns so I can begin to start my empire. And this doesn't feel like just a problem for the beginning turns either, it's like all production times are inflated x8. I've tried fiddling with the citizen icons on the colony screen. Is this just the game? Has MOO ruined me with its snappy gameplay?

Your very first colony ship will take the longest to build of any normal item you build in the game, but you will also get a few techs, including industiral techs if you want them that will speed it along. This type of pacing is by design. It allows races that aren't industrious to use their various advantages to some effect. Also a few races start with a poor home world which will cause things to be very slow, make sure you aren't one of those when you first start.

Don't worry once you start unlocking automated factories and get some population points, nothing will take that long again. Also you should almost certainly start building a colony base (allows you to colonize planet in your solar system) first not a colony ship.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think I usually paid to expedite the first couple production buildings of new colonies, unless I'm misremembering.

Yes, you should always rush-buy an automated factory on every new colony.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Sankis posted:

I also found Sol but its in a nebula and I'm on default colonization settings so no matter how hard I try I can't colonize it :(

I have this exact problem. Most, but not all, planets in nebula seem to be uncolonizable, and I have ion protectors on all my vessels now so I don't think it's that. Terra is like 90% quality give it to me ughhh

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Pretty sure the original homeworlds are always in a nebula as part of the game's storyline. Basically gating them behind research or finding the ancient ruins that will move the story along and unlock something I suspect. Haven't gotten that far in yet.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

MrTargetPractice posted:

There are actually different types of nebula. The 'view nebula' button thing in the bottom right corner has a tool tip that tells you what the different colors are.

Thanks, I overlooked that.
Here's what it looks like:

Now to find out if ion defenses are universal against storms or specific against ion storms and different storms need different mitigations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Thank you for advice all, I may have been inflating the slowness of moo2 a little but it sounds like I'm doing doing anything too poo poo. It's just funny being at the start of a fresh 4x and figuring out the tempo etc. One day I'll be a cynical moo2 min maxer but today is not that day!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Migration pacts mean that aliens start settling in your planets and ruin them because they all settle in planets they can't actually habitate and I have no idea how to disable it.

My homeworld managed to get a space station built in an ion storm and I'm not sure how. It only took 50 tries.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

Migration pacts mean that aliens start settling in your planets and ruin them because they all settle in planets they can't actually habitate and I have no idea how to disable it.

My homeworld managed to get a space station built in an ion storm and I'm not sure how. It only took 50 tries.

I think you can probably change the population control on colony to control it? The auto management for colony population may not be working as in every colony the AI seems to just let people come and go freely and it took me multiple attempts across multiple games to finally find the button to set population policy. (button left panel, right side of the population number there's a white icon of a person's silhouette to have to click on)

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Caconym posted:

Thanks, I overlooked that.
Here's what it looks like:

Now to find out if ion defenses are universal against storms or specific against ion storms and different storms need different mitigations.

Sheesh, it's listed in galactopedia.

All nebulae, including grey:
- Inhibits hyperdrive speed
- Inhibits scanner range
No mitigation possible.

Orange (Galactic Storm):
- 7 standard damage, mitigate with reactive armor

Purple (Ion storm):
- 4 ion damage, mitigate with ion defense
- 1/sec extra energy drain, mitigate with more energy collectors/reactors - higher fuel use.

Green (gravitic storm):
- 8 ion damage, mitigate with ion defense
- 5 standard damage, mitigate with reactive armor
- 50% speed (sublight I assume?)

Yellow (radiation zone)
- 15/sec extra energy drain, mitigate with more energy collectors/reactors - higher fuel use.
- 30 sensor strength of some kind?
- 6/sec shield discharge, mitigate with higher shield recharge

So if I understand this correctly a single ion sheath armor with 8 ion defense and 5 reactive armor rating should completely mitigate green and purple? I think?
Also, small freighters, with a single defensive bay, cannot have shields if you want them to get to planets in green/purple, and if you need them to go trough orange as well they need a general slot for an ion defense in order to use the defensive slot for an armor component with a 7+ reactive rating?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so in DU2, i have some teekans near me that are dying to join me beacuse im awesome aquatic people. but if i send colonists there theyre gonna be super unhappy because its a desert planet. is there a way to have the teekans join me without dumping a bunch of my fish people on their planet?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

queeb posted:

so in DU2, i have some teekans near me that are dying to join me beacuse im awesome aquatic people. but if i send colonists there theyre gonna be super unhappy because its a desert planet. is there a way to have the teekans join me without dumping a bunch of my fish people on their planet?

If you already have other race that's more compatible you can send them instead, otherwise you can migrate the colonists out over time.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 24, 2022

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Lampsacus posted:

It feels weird to build a colony ship for an in-system colony that will take 90 turns so I can begin to start my empire.

You want Colony Bases to grab other planets within your starting system, not Colony Ships.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bliss Authority posted:

You want Colony Bases to grab other planets within your starting system, not Colony Ships.

I haven't seen that research option so far, and I fear by the time I can build them, I'll have already colonized all the other planets in my starting system.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Libluini posted:

I haven't seen that research option so far, and I fear by the time I can build them, I'll have already colonized all the other planets in my starting system.

You start with that option. Even on pre-warp. There is no research required to do it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You start with that option. Even on pre-warp. There is no research required to do it.

None of my station options are a "colony" base and there is no such compartment to make one myself, as far as I can tell. :shrug:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

They're talking about MOO2

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Oops, kind of missed that there was an entire MO-discussion mixed in with the DW2-discussion, my bad

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

Oops, kind of missed that there was an entire MO-discussion mixed in with the DW2-discussion, my bad
Real rude of them to be doing that in the DW2 thread IMO

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

poo poo i felt like iw as doing good in DW2, then my fuckin neighbor which i thought was smaller wardecced me, and moved in and took over one of my colonies like instantly, and my fleets seem to be doing a whole lot of nothing. time to restart and actually plan my fleets out better and maybe actually build troops on my planets.

a few questions:

what determines who controls a sector of space/borders?

I had a pirate base in my area, it was 600 strength. i sent a fleet in of frigates that were like 1800 strength, they arrived, were basically all instantly disabled and destroyed, they didnt even put a dent into the 600 strength station. seemed really weird, anyone know what that would be?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

queeb posted:

I had a pirate base in my area, it was 600 strength. i sent a fleet in of frigates that were like 1800 strength, they arrived, were basically all instantly disabled and destroyed, they didnt even put a dent into the 600 strength station. seemed really weird, anyone know what that would be?

When I ran into something similar, it was due to their fighters and bombers killing me since I had no point defense. Added some of that and the station died quickly with no losses on my end.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

chglcu posted:

When I ran into something similar, it was due to their fighters and bombers killing me since I had no point defense. Added some of that and the station died quickly with no losses on my end.

oh hey that could have been it. i guess i should design my own ships as well just for fun, see how that turns out.

really liking the game honestly, its fun having all this background stuff with civilian ships going on.

edit: oh:

that makes sense!

i was getting annoyed to hell as well in that game, i had a system with an abandoned fleet in it and i was getting spammed with like 20 notifications about finishing building them. it seems like they build slow as hell, i dedicated 2 construction vessels to completing them and like 30 mins later on x4 speed they were still both working on the first ship i assigned them to.

queeb fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 21, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

queeb posted:

what determines who controls a sector of space/borders?

I can't say for sure what determines the winner in a competitive system, but as I understand it:

Colonies radiate a zone of control, but it won't actually "claim" a system unless you also have at least a station there. Put another way, you have to have built at least one station in a system AND it has to be within the "control range" of an actual settled world.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

queeb posted:

i was getting annoyed to hell as well in that game, i had a system with an abandoned fleet in it and i was getting spammed with like 20 notifications about finishing building them. it seems like they build slow as hell, i dedicated 2 construction vessels to completing them and like 30 mins later on x4 speed they were still both working on the first ship i assigned them to.
You should only get one alert per ship (and an alert when it finishes, and alerts if repairs give you techs), but you will get it per ship. So if you find 20 wrecked ships in a pile you will be told about every. single. one.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Splicer posted:

Libluini posted:

None of my station options are a "colony" base and there is no such compartment to make one myself, as far as I can tell. :shrug:

Whoops my bad, yea.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

oh also i tried to play the star trek stellaris mod but for some reason stellaris runs like total rear end on my relatively beefy pc. like, every day that ticks by is a huge stutter/freeze, basically unplayable which is a bummer, it looked cool!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Stellaris just runs like poo poo* in general, and the Star Trek mod is well above the vanilla baseline in terms of stuff going on.

(*Claims are the latest patch has fixed this better than all the other times they've supposedly fixed it, but I've not tried it yet myself).

I kind of feel like the sluggish performance of Stellaris is the actual root cause of a lot of people's dissatisfaction with the game. Or at least, I'm pretty confident it's at the root of most of mine. Like, sure, the game is very flat and empty, but would that grate so much if it ran x2~x3 as fast? If playing it didn't feel like crawling through mud?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

supposedly stellaris chugs for a lot of people cause it's doing some bullshit continual census of all the pops in the galaxy, there's mods that simplify that radically that may or may not work with the Star Trek TC IDK

also (if you're not having system problems) you can run the game at 3x speed and even getting 100 popups a minute does not in fact add up to any of them giving you any kind of interesting decisions to make

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

supposedly stellaris chugs for a lot of people cause it's doing some bullshit continual census of all the pops in the galaxy, there's mods that simplify that radically that may or may not work with the Star Trek TC IDK

also (if you're not having system problems) you can run the game at 3x speed and even getting 100 popups a minute does not in fact add up to any of them giving you any kind of interesting decisions to make

Your information is very outdated.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just started a game of DW2 as the fish people. They start with a ruined spaceport around their home planet, and I started repairing it but for some reason it got stuck at 100% and has been sitting there "under construction" for years without making any progress. Any idea what this means?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Clarste posted:

Just started a game of DW2 as the fish people. They start with a ruined spaceport around their home planet, and I started repairing it but for some reason it got stuck at 100% and has been sitting there "under construction" for years without making any progress. Any idea what this means?

You repair it in an event, if you didn't send a scout towards it then that should fire it.

Azhais posted:

The progress bars seem to have no bearing on reality. Repairing is like that, new construction is like that, I just ignore it and hope it'll be fixed eventually.

Oh that's right, the percentage meter is only for hull status, hover over the hexagonal status area to see the repair states of the components, that might also be the problem.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 21, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The progress bars seem to have no bearing on reality. Repairing is like that, new construction is like that, I just ignore it and hope it'll be fixed eventually.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Idk how it works in 2, but in distant worlds you repair the advanced ships for the tech bonus more than the ship itself

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Edit: Forgot to ask my question. In DW2, how do you get research out of ruined/captured ships/bases? I've got a whole graveyard of capital ships. The first few are handy as flagships, but I'd really rather get better tech out of the others.

I also captured a pirate starbase instead of destroying it. If I could scrap it for some of their advanced tech, that'd be aces.

Clarste posted:

Your problem is probably that it's event driven.

Azhais posted:

In DW2, the progress bar reaches 100% after completing the ship frame. After that you still need to install all the individual components, including armor and shields. So it sits at 100% for a long time.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 21, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
^^ then it's not at 100% is it? :colbert:

Agean90 posted:

Idk how it works in 2, but in distant worlds you repair the advanced ships for the tech bonus more than the ship itself

That still happens. Just all construction and repairs hit 100% quickly, then sit there for easily twice as long as the percentages were going up before finishing

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
DW2 is interesting but feels unpolished.
On the events, I had the ancient slave colony nearby and colonized it. It is apparently an event planet for humans? Because they managed to take it from me, in the middle of my empire, instantly and without any notification.
The constant, unprovoked crashes arent great either.
Still really enjoying it for the core gameplay, but if they fix some of this stuff the game could be really solid.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My crashes settled down after I did a full driver update. Someone recommended video but I was on the latest already so I just did a full sweep and did everything from mouse firmware to chipset drivers and something seemed to solve it

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

LLSix posted:

In DW2, the progress bar reaches 100% after completing the ship frame. After that you still need to install all the individual components, including armor and shields. So it sits at 100% for a long time.
You're looking at the hull integrity bar then. If you select the construction ship, the bottom-left panel should be showing its stats and stuff and there should be a tiny little icon representing whatever it is you're repairing being in the construction queue. Hover your mouse over that to get the actual progress.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Clarste posted:

Doesn't sound like this is your problem but prior to today's patch it was possible for your empire to start in an ion storm and nothing would ever complete construction/repair. You can tell by turning on the nebula overlay for the map and zooming out.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Azhais posted:

My crashes settled down after I did a full driver update. Someone recommended video but I was on the latest already so I just did a full sweep and did everything from mouse firmware to chipset drivers and something seemed to solve it
Yeah, I was having a lot of crashes and updating my graphics drivers sorted it for me.

e: checking event viewer and googling the file windows blames for it is usually an easy check

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Clarste posted:

There's a very visible 100% which I think is like health, but if you select the construction ship doing the repair or will have a % complete of repair job which takes much longer to complete.