Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wonder why the electrician didn't offer to replace the receptacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The hunt continues... I found a (barely) out-of-state Kia dealer that Emailed me a listing for the exact model/color of EV6 I want, with the price listed at MSRP. I called them, and the saleswoman said "Oh, we're doing a $5000 market adjustment, so just add that on."

Seems like them sending me an Email with the wrong price for a specific car -- with VIN listed and everything -- would be borderline illegal, but :capitalism: and now they're on my poo poo-list and I wouldn't give them money anyway.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, sustained loads can be a killer. That an outlet or wiring is rated for 15A, 25A or whatever doesn't actually mean that you can push the rated amps through them indefinitely afaict.

I just realized I have no idea if my house can even handle an EV charger.

My breaker box is 200A, but the current breakers add up to 205A. Obviously that's just total capacity (my heat and A/C aren't going to run at the same time, for example, and the dedicated 15A breaker for the single attic light bulb and exhaust fan aren't going to pull anywhere near that current). But now I'm wondering how much "safe" capacity I even have.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

WhiteHowler posted:

My breaker box is 200A, but the current breakers add up to 205A. Obviously that's just total capacity (my heat and A/C aren't going to run at the same time, for example, and the dedicated 15A breaker for the single attic light bulb and exhaust fan aren't going to pull anywhere near that current). But now I'm wondering how much "safe" capacity I even have.

I would not start worrying till the breakers add up to 350A. And that is assuming every appliance is electric.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

WhiteHowler posted:

The hunt continues... I found a (barely) out-of-state Kia dealer that Emailed me a listing for the exact model/color of EV6 I want, with the price listed at MSRP. I called them, and the saleswoman said "Oh, we're doing a $5000 market adjustment, so just add that on."

The exact same thing happened with me looking at a Niro EV last week.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Does anyone know what the deal is with the Mach-E extended range battery?

I'm 95% sure it used to be an option on the Select (non-GT) trims, but I can't find a reference to it on their site anymore, and the Vehicle Builder only shows it available for the GT. Supply chain issues, maybe?

I don't need the extra range for daily driving, but I occasionally do overnight trips to another city where I'd have some charge anxiety with the standard battery.

Indiana_Krom posted:

I would not start worrying till the breakers add up to 350A. And that is assuming every appliance is electric.
Thanks. Obviously I'll ask the electrician when it's time to get one installed, but Googling for a rule of thumb on breaker box capacity gave widely-varied results.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

Seems like them sending me an Email with the wrong price for a specific car -- with VIN listed and everything -- would be borderline illegal, but :capitalism: and now they're on my poo poo-list and I wouldn't give them money anyway.

Trying to get a firm price through the internet sales department at most dealers is going to be a nightmare. Submitting your information through the website just puts you through their internet department who's only job is to tell/email/text you whatever they think will get you to drive out in person. That's probably why you got the first email with the nice looking price - it was some dope that gets paid an extra $20 if they can get you to show up for an appointment, whether or not they have the car you want at the price you want.

The person who quoted you the $5k market adjustment is probably an actual salesperson. If you're actually ready to buy, the way to respond is to counter with a firm commitment at whatever your price is - "I'm ready to put down a deposit and come in tomorrow to take delivery if you can do MSRP + TTL as an out the door price." Even if they turn you down, you're in the back half of the month and there's a decent chance they call you back in a week meeting your price if the sales manager is close to some kind of volume goal. If the drive is a bit of a hike for you though, don't drive out to the dealer without some official paperwork showing the out the door price. Also make sure you have your own financing lined up - they'll probably want to know how you're paying (they get a small bonus if they sell you financing - more if they mark up your rate), so you need to know what sort of fair rate you'd qualify for from your own credit union/bank (they may say they'll do MSRP on the car, but then screw you on the interest rate - letting them know you've got your own financing at x% sets a cap on the damage they can do). God help you if you're planning to trade in with them too - get your carmax/carvana/vroom quote first and be prepared to plan to drive both cars home if necessary.

Re: Breaker box chat, our electrician indicated there's a fair amount of leeway in the amount of amperage coming into your house vs the total of each circuit, since it's not like you're going to be maxxing out every circuit in your house simultaneously. There are some formulas they use and some analysis of load types such that I wouldn't bother trying to eyeball it yourself. A bigger factor is likely to be whether you have an extra double pole slot in your breaker box, since the install can get much more expensive if they have to separate out into a sub-panel.

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 21, 2022

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

NJ Deac posted:

Even if they turn you down, you're in the back half of the month and there's a decent chance they call you back in a week meeting your price if the sales manager is close to some kind of volume goal. If the drive is a bit of a hike for you though, don't drive out to the dealer without some official paperwork showing the out the door price.
This is basically what I did. "No thanks. If you change your mind, you have my number." But I'm annoyed at them for quoting me two different prices, even if that's "standard practice".

And yeah, I'm not driving anywhere until we've agreed on a drive-away price. It kills me that my local no-haggle dealer only sells Fords. I'd much rather get an EV6 or Ioniq 5, but after talking to nearly a dozen scummy Kia and Hyundai dealers this week, they might push me into a Mach-E, because I know the Ford dealer won't pull any shenanigans.

quote:

A bigger factor is likely to be whether you have an extra double pole slot in your breaker box, since the install can get much more expensive if they have to separate out into a sub-panel.
Hmm, I don't know how to determine this without pulling off the cover. The top eight slots (two in each column) are double breakers, with all single ones below them. I'll ask an electrician to look at it when it's time.

At worst, they'd have to replace/rewire a new breaker box, right? And probably get it re-inspected by the city.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

“Oh I’m SO SORRY, you know—that car just sold this morning. A lot of people were asking about that car—“

Its common for a chain of dealerships to have a "bait car" like this. They advertise it all over and then on the days its "on sale" they have some guy drive it (or haul it on a trailer) between the various dealerships all day long. So its never on any one lot for more than a few minutes and is always "not on the lot, maybe it sold". They have no intention of actually selling that car at its advertised price, they just want to get you on the lot so you will look at, and maybe buy, something else that isn't such a great deal.

I knew a guy who actually managed to track down the bait car once. The dealership was very upset that they had to actually sell it to him at the price they had advertised.

The whole EV vs ICE thing aside I think getting rid of dealerships is probably the best thing Tesla/Rivian have done for the automotive industry.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 21, 2022

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

Hmm, I don't know how to determine this without pulling off the cover. The top eight slots (two in each column) are double breakers, with all single ones below them. I'll ask an electrician to look at it when it's time.

At worst, they'd have to replace/rewire a new breaker box, right? And probably get it re-inspected by the city.

I'm fairly certain that as long as there are top/bottom adjacent empty slots (you should see whether there are blank metal punch outs as soon as you open the panel door), you are good to go. You would need a sub-panel if your panel was fully subscribed - with the sub-panel they would bundle up several circuits in your main panel, put them on a larger amperage breaker, and move the individual circuits to the sub-panel, freeing up room on your main panel for the EV circuit. Local code and inspection requirements are going to vary quite a bit based on where you live, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of permitting process necessary to install a sub-panel like that.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

WhiteHowler posted:

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Mach-E extended range battery?

I'm 95% sure it used to be an option on the Select (non-GT) trims, but I can't find a reference to it on their site anymore, and the Vehicle Builder only shows it available for the GT. Supply chain issues, maybe?

I don't need the extra range for daily driving, but I occasionally do overnight trips to another city where I'd have some charge anxiety with the standard battery.

Thanks. Obviously I'll ask the electrician when it's time to get one installed, but Googling for a rule of thumb on breaker box capacity gave widely-varied results.

Yeah, they took it away, also, also stopped selling the R1 and the Premium trim, rumor is anything Premium not currently in production will be delivered as a 2023.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

NJ Deac posted:

I'm fairly certain that as long as there are top/bottom adjacent empty slots (you should see whether there are blank metal punch outs as soon as you open the panel door), you are good to go. You would need a sub-panel if your panel was fully subscribed - with the sub-panel they would bundle up several circuits in your main panel, put them on a larger amperage breaker, and move the individual circuits to the sub-panel, freeing up room on your main panel for the EV circuit. Local code and inspection requirements are going to vary quite a bit based on where you live, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of permitting process necessary to install a sub-panel like that.
That's good to know. My current box has like a dozen slots left at the bottom, so we'll hopefully be fine there. The hard part might be actually finding an electrician who's familiar with charger installations -- EV adoption has been slow around here (a mid-sized southeastern metro area).

My city requires an inspector to come out if anyone modifies the breaker box in any way. But they've always done it for free, so :shrug:

Three Olives posted:

Yeah, they took it away, also, also stopped selling the R1 and the Premium trim, rumor is anything Premium not currently in production will be delivered as a 2023.
That makes sense. I'm not in a big hurry, and having a 250+ mile full-charge range is my minimum.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

That's good to know. My current box has like a dozen slots left at the bottom, so we'll hopefully be fine there. The hard part might be actually finding an electrician who's familiar with charger installations -- EV adoption has been slow around here (a mid-sized southeastern metro area).

Unless you’re having a 48-amp unit hardwired, you don’t want anyone to install an outlet for your EV charger anyway (even moderately scrupulous electricians, at least around here, often overcharge because there’s an assumption that you can afford a fancy car and have cash to burn). You want a 40-amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50 outlet for some unspecified equipment you’re installing (or maybe for your camper, if it’s an outside installation).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I told my electrician that my dildo uses a 14-50 he just smiled knowingly and gave me a thumbs up.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

bird with big dick posted:

I told my electrician that my dildo uses a 14-50 he just smiled knowingly and gave me a thumbs up.

I thought you sold the Mach-e?

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Antillie posted:

Its common for a chain of dealerships to have a "bait car" like this. They advertise it all over and then on the days its "on sale" they have some guy drive it (or haul it on a trailer) between the various dealerships all day long. So its never on any one lot for more than a few minutes and is always "not on the lot, maybe it sold". They have no intention of actually selling that car at its advertised price, they just want to get you on the lot so you will look at, and maybe buy, something else that isn't such a great deal.

I knew a guy who actually managed to track down the bait car once. The dealership was very upset that they had to actually sell it to him at the price they had advertised.

This can't be real right? Like, how is this legal and not false advertising or bait and switch or something?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

bad_fmr posted:

This can't be real right? Like, how is this legal and not false advertising or bait and switch or something?

In America everything is legal if it helps make wealthy people wealthier.

Bait and switch laws have enough caveats that it’s extremely easy not to run afoul of them. And even if it was a slam drat case how many people want to spend the time and money suing over it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

(Since I’m currently looking at chargers)

There’s a few I’ve seen that have adjustable currents that go all way down to just 6A which I read is the bare minimum for charging. This will probably keep the breaker from tripping (if it’s 15A) and assuming your commute is short migjt even suffice for overnight charging but I sure as hell wouldn’t rely entirely on it, sounds like you’d get like 3-4 miles an hour.

Also my payment from carvana came in this morning. Bless ‘em for making car selling idiot proof.

Here’s a video I saw this morning that shows the level 1 charger with adjustable current.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsxJ7xw358g

Keep in mind as well, the EV6 you have can also adjust the charge current in the charge settings in the car, if you're worried about the circuitry where you're plugged in. There are 3 settings, a max speed, a medium which i think caps out at 1.2kw charging, and then a reduced charging speed which i think is something like, 0.8kw charging.

If you go to the charging menu where you can set the max charge %, it should be listed there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

Keep in mind as well, the EV6 you have can also adjust the charge current in the charge settings in the car, if you're worried about the circuitry where you're plugged in. There are 3 settings, a max speed, a medium which i think caps out at 1.2kw charging, and then a reduced charging speed which i think is something like, 0.8kw charging.

If you go to the charging menu where you can set the max charge %, it should be listed there.

Oh word? I'll be checking this out for sure.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'm still considering a Mach-E instead of a Bolt, they can be had for around the same price with the tax credit.

Just dunno if I wanna limp my Leaf through a 100 mi/day commute until August.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Gonna be another scorcher summer I bet.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

*cries in thermally unmanaged battery*

I'm definitely not driving the non-airconditioned Ranger or the motorcycle through Tacoma traffic in whatever the gently caress happened last year (I was overseas for that).

I can make it to work without charging if I take the ferry 1 way, but that gets real expensive real quick.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I drove my aircooled battery 💩
edit: no fast charging though. Even slow charging only at night for that week

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Charles posted:

Gonna be another scorcher summer I bet.

You better call Sears.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/4rqZZgVxnCk

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

There are guides you can follow for figuring out your actual load, since like you've pointed out you are usually you are not actually drawing the full amperage from all of your breakers simultaneously. An electrician can also do that for you.

Also, keep in mind that voltage is the other significant factor here

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/03/21/ford-adds-apple-maps-ev-routing-support-to-mustang-mach-e-models?utm_medium=rss

Wow, Ford's managing to pass critical info through CarPlay so we can navigate with that. I thought it would take years for this to happen.

It's Apple Maps only right now, but hopefully other map apps will follow suite.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

quote:

the EV routing feature is available on 2022 Mustang Mach-E models and on some 2021 models with specific SYNC software versions.

Lmao Jesus Christ how has ford STILL not managed to OTA update earlier 2021 builds loving infotainment software? How are they ever going to OTA anything important if they can’t even get the infotainment right?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lmao Jesus Christ how has ford STILL not managed to OTA update earlier 2021 builds loving infotainment software? How are they ever going to OTA anything important if they can’t even get the infotainment right?

lmao...let me tell you a story about a system called FordSYNC....

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

bad_fmr posted:

Its legal because they have to sell it to you at the advertised price if you do in fact manage to find the car. There is nothing that says they can't have some guy drive it off to the next dealership the moment someone asks about it before telling that person "sorry its not here". So finding the car means literally finding it in the back of the lot somewhere and standing in front of it to keep them from moving it while your friend/spouse/whoever goes inside and starts the process of buying it.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

This makes absolutely no sense and I really hope I will never have to buy a car in the US :psyduck:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bad_fmr posted:

This makes absolutely no sense and I really hope I will never have to buy a car in the US :psyduck:

But you're missing out on so much value!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was having a look at pricing of the Korean EVs vs the Mach-E and it really seems like they are pricing the ioniq 5 and ev6 really aggressively and it would be a good 10-15k CAD less after taxes, fees for the top trim (preferred AWD long range with the Ultimate package) over a Mach-E premium AWD.

This price difference just doesn't make sense to me! It really helps that Hyundai prices it to take advantage of the subsidy (Ie the base model is 54.9k just under the 55k then add on a 5k ultimate package). That chops 8k off the price in combined Federal and Provincial subsidies.

Kind of sucks because I would like to consider the mach-e but I really can't with that kind of price difference for a generally similar specced car.

Are the prices more in line in other places?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Antillie posted:

finding the car means literally finding it in the back of the lot somewhere and standing in front of it to keep them from moving it while your friend/spouse/whoever goes inside and starts the process of buying it.

What’s to stop the dealer from just lying and saying “as shucks, someone JUST signed the paperwork on that car, they’re coming to pick it up tomorrow”

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Antillie posted:

Its legal because they have to sell it to you at the advertised price if you do in fact manage to find the car. There is nothing that says they can't have some guy drive it off to the next dealership the moment someone asks about it before telling that person "sorry its not here". So finding the car means literally finding it in the back of the lot somewhere and standing in front of it to keep them from moving it while your friend/spouse/whoever goes inside and starts the process of buying it.

It’s this but real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbC0-tuYE2o

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bad_fmr posted:

I shitcanned a dealership last week because I called up and set up a late afternoon appointment to come look at a truck and buy it if it was as represented. I work nights, so sleep mornings.

They called, texted, emailed, then called again around 9am to try and get me to come in then because the 'market adjustment was going up at noon'.

I told them to gently caress off and that I wouldn't do business with them.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

So I take delivery of my new model 3 long range on the 28th at 4pm. I am kind of excited.

I have to say that the new owner orientation session was a bit of a joke for someone who has watched literally over a hundred hours of model 3 tutorials on youtube. "Your new tesla doesn't require gas." Hmm, you don't say. They did at least cover the fact that the car has a battery and needs to be charged up regularly for for those who really didn't know what what they were buying.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Yeah outside of the side of my car falling off because it ran into a sign the software is my biggest gripe about the MME. If it wouldn’t be financially stupid to do so I’d really think about selling it for a Tesla or something :/

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Gonna really put the range estimate on my EV6 to the test. We're going to do a road trip to SE New Mexico next week, which has exactly one DCFC in a very inconvenient spot.

Will report back how many RV parks I get stuck at.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Citizen Z posted:

Gonna really put the range estimate on my EV6 to the test. We're going to do a road trip to SE New Mexico next week, which has exactly one DCFC in a very inconvenient spot.

Will report back how many RV parks I get stuck at.

I’m half jokingly planning a 1200 mile (each way) trip this holiday to visit my girlfriend’s parents with her rather than have her drive her 4Runner and spend god knows how much in gas. ABRP says (today) it’d take just over 19 hours with with 2 hours of charging across 6 stops. Assuming those charging stations are legit, that doesn’t sound bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

EV buying update: I might just get the Bolt and a Mach E.