Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

if you spin the camera into Gurranq's model you can see that he has the rune of destined death on his left hand. Additionally after giving him all the death root he talks about his punishment, likely referring to how a part of the rune was stolen from him before. I agree it's weird that he stays there though

Might be cut content/DLC hook.

Hard to say what’s what with this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Guess we'll just have to wait to see what vaati says :grin:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think it's pretty easy to say. this is a game that left out the ending of like six npc quests from the release version. it's an oversight

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Anyone know if there are any NG+ only weapons like the twin princes greatsword?

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

What are the screaming guys crucified all over the place about? I put almost no effort into understanding the plot so are they mentioned some where? Just for flavor?

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

repiv posted:

it's funny how everyone has collectively decided that the "ill-omened creature" message text specifically refers to basilisks

I had no idea they were in this game, saw a 'beware ill-omened creature' message in front of a blind corner and a bunch of bloodstains and knew, just knew

The worm enemies in the Altus forest are way worse though

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Khanstant posted:

aren't gargoyles bleed immune though?

Yes but the actual damage on the weapon art is ridiculous. I can’t believe how much it’s doing at like 36 dex and 20 arc

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

WoodrowSkillson posted:

as a resident LOTR nerd, remember that he started as a great king of men. If you want to play out his rise and then fall, start with something appropriate, and respec later or just build into it. Go with a STR or DEX warrior character, and then shift to a paladin type mid game.

From what I have read, I had thought he was a Numenorean who was powerful in sorcery. Hrmm. If he is a fighter, then go melee first, likely a Hero, and farm the soldiers at the Gatehouse for better armor, and buying a Bastard Sword asap. If caster, then start as Prophet and choose either str or dex I guess.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

You can also fight Mogh despite beating an earlier/different version, so I think it's just Margott doesn't have a reason to make an appearance and keep up the fake identity, but death is still fucky ducky for demigods.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Yates posted:

What are the screaming guys crucified all over the place about? I put almost no effort into understanding the plot so are they mentioned some where? Just for flavor?

Where are they screaming? There are a ton of crucified people but that seems to be a bit of a motif with how Marika is crucified with a portion of the Elden ring.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yates posted:

it's just a standard fromsoft "this land of zombie men sure is hosed up" flourish as far as i can tell

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
For starters, if you turn right out of the building at the start of the game and drop down the small cliff, there are a bunch of screaming crucified dudes.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I gave Ranni The curse thing from Nokron and I found her old body. I haven’t heard from her in a while and I’m currently at the Giant Mountains. Have I missed anything for her yet?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I gave Ranni The curse thing from Nokron and I found her old body. I haven’t heard from her in a while and I’m currently at the Giant Mountains. Have I missed anything for her yet?

Yeah, go check out the other towers in her area.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Missed no but you can finish the sidequest already if you’ve gotten that far. It’s very hard to find what to do next if you don’t look stuff up but you got pretty far along

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Playing through the early game on a new character and suddenly a ton of the imagery that went over my head is clicking, particularly the multiplayer stakes, the effigies, basically all the crucifixion symbolism based on Marika's punishment(?) of being stuck up on that whatever-it-was in the endgame, I assume it was a big rune or something

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I started the game with 2h greatswords, respecced around 60 or so to an int/moonveil build. Just cleared Rennalla on NG+ so it's time to spec faith and use my bitchin holy wolverine lightsaber claws!

Except this feels like it sucks, and like I'm doing no damage.
What should I be carting around for a talisman, what incantations should I be using, what's my move here? Wait until I get the second regular lightsaber and switch to swords off of claws?

e:
also I've been doing things in a weird order and quests are getting set off not the way I anticipated, and sometimes I'm hitting weird roadblocks.
Met Blaidd in the ruins, did his thing.
Met Blaidd at the festival, did the thing.
Went to meet Ranni, she told me to piss off.
Not sure what I need to do to get her to be cool with me

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sockser posted:

I started the game with 2h greatswords, respecced around 60 or so to an int/moonveil build. Just cleared Rennalla on NG+ so it's time to spec faith and use my bitchin holy wolverine lightsaber claws!

Except this feels like it sucks, and like I'm doing no damage.

split damage is still pretty punishing on non-unique weapons from my experience, and holy especially seems like it suffers from a surfeit of common enemy types that are resistant to it. there's also not a ton of weapons, especially light weapons, that get much faith scaling when infused

if you don't give a poo poo about healing in coop or using one of the 400 year windup incantations like placidux's, then go 25 faith for golden vow and dump the rest into softcapped strength with the clawmark seal. get a good scaling strength weapon and infuse sacred/flame art into it and you're good to go. all the bestial incantations are solid, but you can still use most normal incantations without issue

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love the elden lore added to the classic fake-eyes freaks!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yes but the actual damage on the weapon art is ridiculous. I can’t believe how much it’s doing at like 36 dex and 20 arc

thats rad, I beat the game with the buigged version so it's damage was poo poo, but the weapon art was choice for bleedable bosses because it applied blood faster than any other button presses in the same timeframe. Bloody slash is what I used on Gargoyles, pre-nerf it did a decent chunk of damage in exchange for small HP, but didnt apply much or any bleed.

Since they fixed Rivers of Blood seems like it's just the superior mainhand katana period, since it's WA does damage + insane bleed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Yates posted:

those are loose Jesuses

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3zpD26Ci5k

their effects system must be a real ball of spaghetti under the hood, jesus

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What do you guys make of the Windmill Village? Some sort of celebration went awry with crimson rot influence? Or are the godskins frenzied flame affiliates? Iirc its the latter but dont recall for sure

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Vermain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3zpD26Ci5k

their effects system must be a real ball of spaghetti under the hood, jesus

i'm more curious about whether this was caused by the patch or whether the weapon art was always this brokenly overpowered and no one got around to playing with it until just now because there were so many other overpowered toys getting all the attention

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Dandywalken posted:

What do you guys make of the Windmill Village? Some sort of celebration went awry with crimson rot influence? Or are the godskins frenzied flame affiliates? Iirc its the latter but dont recall for sure

i think the godskins are their own thing, pre-dating marika, under the gloam-eyed queen who was the regent before marika. i can't remember where i read it but i'm fairly certain the godskins's black flame is somehow aligned with destined death, maybe its previous incarnation or something like that. which would make sense since it does extra damage against demigods.

e: from the godskin apostle set: 'The apostles, once said to serve Destined Death, are wielders of the god-slaying black flame. But after their defeat by Maliketh, the Black Blade, the source of their power was sealed away.' they served destined death, suggesting some kind of pre-marika order where destined death wasn't sealed away?

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 21, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

it's probably just a place that used to have ceremonial harvest rituals that eventually turned into human sacrifice due to everyone's degeneration from the lack of grace

Cowcaster posted:

i'm more curious about whether this was caused by the patch or whether the weapon art was always this brokenly overpowered and no one got around to playing with it until just now because there were so many other overpowered toys getting all the attention

i'm guessing that the cuckoo glintstone + carian retaliation always had some kind of hosed up interaction - probably retaliation only looks for effects not spawned by the player, and the glintstone's balls don't have the player designated as the spawner - but it's hard to tell, especially since the patch hosed up some stuff like the beast sanctum death plane and endure too

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 21, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do have to find it funny people are acting like them not liking a From Boss is new to ring.

I would say 80% of bloodborne bosses sucked outright.

When it hit it hit but there was a lot of garbage there

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Holy gently caress this loving dual whip fucker

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I will never learn to parry so that is two From games I can’t do

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

my first thought was some sort of plague, with the flowers on all the doors, pockets full of posies ring around kinda poo poo. then because flowers + europe makes me think of Midsommar type cults. AFAIK it's only the grannies who get to spend their purgatory dancing and going wild, maybe they burnt up all the men and young in their madness. IIRC there's a finger reader or someone somewhere who talks about you going to the festival or someshit, but i might've confused it with radahn's festival... or there are two places talking about each.

im not sure i tried connecting the godskin there specifically to them, i thought it was more of a funny thing: windmill area, wobbly boss that has a "windmill" spin attack. i thin kone connection could just be seems like they might have had some extra skin around the join whenever the grannies caught dancing fever or whatever.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The Dark Project posted:

From what I have read, I had thought he was a Numenorean who was powerful in sorcery. Hrmm. If he is a fighter, then go melee first, likely a Hero, and farm the soldiers at the Gatehouse for better armor, and buying a Bastard Sword asap. If caster, then start as Prophet and choose either str or dex I guess.

We don't know exactly. he could be Numenorean, but its implied that he likely is not because we would know about a numenorean king that was corrupted. The only potential one is Ar-Pharazon, but he decidedly eats poo poo during the akallabeth. So more likely it is a king from a group similar to Rohan, Ruhn, or Harad.

Numenoreans that were corrupted is a specific group called the Black Numenoreans, and the mouth of Sauron is likely a member of that group.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

euphronius posted:

I will never learn to parry so that is two From games I can’t do

bloodborne parries are shoot the enemy in the face just before they attack. sekiro parry is like a 100% block button that also punishes the enemy if you time it right. both are way better and easier than the dark souls-style implementation which i also cannot stand.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Vermain posted:

i'm guessing that the cuckoo glintstone + carian retaliation always had some kind of hosed up interaction - probably retaliation only looks for effects not spawned by the player, and the glintstone's balls don't have the player designated as the spawner - but it's hard to tell, especially since the patch hosed up some stuff like the beast sanctum death plane and endure too
someone was playing around with it upthread though and was putting out the same damage numbers just using it "as intended". the only part of it that might be "a bug" is the daggers not animating properly in a multiplayer setting.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Where is the loving hit box on these putrid tree spirits? Terrible enemy

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

MasterBuilder posted:

Where are they screaming? There are a ton of crucified people but that seems to be a bit of a motif with how Marika is crucified with a portion of the Elden ring.

I think they only scream at a certain time of day, implying they resurrect and die on a daily basis.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Foul Fowl posted:

bloodborne parries are shoot the enemy in the face just before they attack. sekiro parry is like a 100% block button that also punishes the enemy if you time it right. both are way better and easier than the dark souls-style implementation which i also cannot stand.

You can perry from full block in ER

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Republicans posted:

I think they only scream at a certain time of day, implying they resurrect and die on a daily basis.

Well that's the most unsettling thing I think I'll hear today.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Cowcaster posted:

Patch. I was deflecting spells before, and it usually did about 4-500 with all 3 blades (+0 shield tho). It was okay, but there were too many conditions on punishing the caster with it for it to truly be high tier.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sekiro's "deflect" is a metal gear rising revengeance "parry", not a soul's game "parry", because sekiro is not a souls game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Patch. I was deflecting spells before, and it usually did about 4-500 with all 3 blades (+0 shield tho). It was okay, but there were too many conditions on punishing the caster with it for it to truly be high tier.

weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

Apparently the weapon art scales on shield damage so I think the answer is "always", but probably like the Flame/Deathblight thing it's not supposed to consider things you do or that aren't really coming at you (you can do it on npc spells as an invader too), and it probably isn't supposed to be doing that much damage