Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm currently doing that thing where I'm telling myself "Oh that looks cool I'll wait for that to show up before my next playthrough" :negative:

Edit: Speaking of not playing that often, are there any mods that allow you to craft the maypoles/whatever at any time? How much "comfort" am I missing out by missing the events

Edit2: Guess I could just switch on creative mode? Don't think I ever did during my 1st playthrough

pik_d fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

pik_d posted:

I'm currently doing that thing where I'm telling myself "Oh that looks cool I'll wait for that to show up before my next playthrough" :negative:

Edit: Speaking of not playing that often, are there any mods that allow you to craft the maypoles/whatever at any time? How much "comfort" am I missing out by missing the events

Edit2: Guess I could just switch on creative mode? Don't think I ever did during my 1st playthrough

Maypoles/Christmas trees have been buildable around spring/Christmas respectively.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Molybdenum posted:

Maypoles/Christmas trees have been buildable around spring/Christmas respectively.

Yes, but I play when I feel like playing so I was wondering if there was a mod that added them to the build list permanently. I wasn't playing this game over Christmas so I didn't get to build a tree, but it seems like it would be an easy thing to mod in given all the other poo poo people have modded.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I am pretty sure you can build them in devmode without mods.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So I got to the swamp which luckily is not too much of a trip from my main base. I managed to make myself full iron armor and a battle axe. It feels pretty drat awesome parrying an enemy with it and going into a combo as it will usually stagger them anyway. Is this combo viable moving forward? My friend said wolves will be the bane of my build due to how hard they hit, but I feel like I will cross that bridge when I get there.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Mesadoram posted:

I managed to make myself full iron armor and a battle axe. It feels pretty drat awesome parrying an enemy with it and going into a combo as it will usually stagger them anyway. Is this combo viable moving forward? My friend said wolves will be the bane of my build due to how hard they hit, but I feel like I will cross that bridge when I get there.

The fully upgraded iron armor will help a lot, and move to silver armor when you can. As far as battle axes go, I saw a video of some dude just annihilating a wolf raid with a crystal battle axe so it’s clearly viable.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mesadoram posted:

So I got to the swamp which luckily is not too much of a trip from my main base. I managed to make myself full iron armor and a battle axe. It feels pretty drat awesome parrying an enemy with it and going into a combo as it will usually stagger them anyway. Is this combo viable moving forward? My friend said wolves will be the bane of my build due to how hard they hit, but I feel like I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Several wolves at once will be a problem, but tbh that's the case no matter what weapon you're using. The main thing about them is they attack very abruptly, so parrying them can be tricky after getting accustomed to draugr and their obvious windups. On the upside, wolves stagger for a long time when you do parry them.

I used a battle axe the fair bit in my previous co-op group and didn't run into anything that made me feel like "drat I wish I brought something else". It was mainly just a matter of getting used to the timing and using some footwork. And don't forget the alt attack quick jab, it's super handy. I'm really glad Hearth and Home buffed battle axes to actually be a viable. They were really garbage before that, and that's just not acceptable in a Viking game.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Glad to hear that, thank you both!

Also, I am sure this has happened to you all, but I was building a new house when I looked in the distance and there was a person in a cloak with a walking cane staring at me. I tried to get close but he poof'd into smoke.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Odin likes to watch.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Kibayasu posted:

Odin likes to watch.

:chloe:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Likes to watch… you build nice houses and forts!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Kibayasu posted:

Likes to watch… you build nice houses and forts!

:yaycloud:

Battleaxe continues to be amazingly fun. Something about parrying trolls and 3 hitting them into another stun is so satisfying.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Thoughts on Buckler vs Banded Shield?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Buckler's probably a bit better for 1v1 fights if you're always totally on point with parry timing. Banded shield lets you be a bit sloppier, since it's better at static blocking in case you block too early.

In a situation where there's two or three enemies hitting you in sequence, banded shield is better for parrying the first hit and holding to block the following ones before you get your own swing in.

Most importantly, you can paint the banded shield in pretty colours.

Overall though, I feel like it's mostly a personal preference/mood thing. I'm using a banded shield now, but I've used bucklers a lot too. Both are fine.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Bucklers are better for offense. They don’t knock the enemy back so you can get a few good swings in after a parry without wasting time moving. Banded is better for defending against groups of enemies.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Nordick posted:

Several wolves at once will be a problem, but tbh that's the case no matter what weapon you're using. The main thing about them is they attack very abruptly, so parrying them can be tricky after getting accustomed to draugr and their obvious windups. On the upside, wolves stagger for a long time when you do parry them.

I used a battle axe the fair bit in my previous co-op group and didn't run into anything that made me feel like "drat I wish I brought something else". It was mainly just a matter of getting used to the timing and using some footwork. And don't forget the alt attack quick jab, it's super handy. I'm really glad Hearth and Home buffed battle axes to actually be a viable. They were really garbage before that, and that's just not acceptable in a Viking game.

The only issue I have with wolves is each mace hit knocks them back out of range of a followup, or onto a slope where the game will not let you hit them.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Here’s that guy I was talking about earlier taking out wolves with a battle axe

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/co...utm_name=iossmf

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah the battleaxes are pretty boss now and I'm super happy about it.

In general the weapon balance seems much better after H&H, which is very pleasing.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I am not sure if this has ever been shared here, but there is a mod that totally upgrades old worlds to new versions featuring all the new content.

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/1485

It is beyond amazing this exists. Me and my group put so much time and effort into our current world, just thousands of hours of complex legit builds throughout our seed. We were getting ready to clone everything over to an updated seed with the buildshare mod and then I stumbled on it, tested it out and it works.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

is there a mod that adds skills for using the cultivator and whatnot? just planted 500 carrots and i want that to fill a bar next time i do it .

Edit: Found one!

https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/tpill90/FarmingSkill/

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 21, 2022

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I have played 400+ hours of Valheim and had never experienced a crash until last night, when I had two. I'm running a dedicated server with a friend that I set up with, what I now know to be, fairly non-standard tools and configurations. Both times, it happened in a particular place in a swamp and wiped about an hour of work from the character (but not the world). Anyone else encounter this? Seems like a bad chunk or maybe object that loads when I get within a certain distance of it. I'll just avoid that area for now, but now I'm nervous about it happening anywhere new. My friend and I played at different times so he may have done something, but I can't think of what. Is anything documented or has it happened to anyone else?

edit: the server seemed to be unaffected by the crashes. It stayed up the whole time and was reachable immediately after I relaunched the game.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I honestly don't think I've ever had a crash running Valheim.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

We've been havign a bunch of wonkiness on out dedicated server, both massive lag in highly built areas where multiple people (perhaps specific people with high latency connections) are online in the same place, and some amount of loss of progress either in world or in character or both.

Resetting the server seems to have fixed it in the short term at least.

I also tend to get a big spike of lag when I first log in, sometimes to the point of crashing the game.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

you wanna be pretty conservative with your main base to minimize those kinds of issues. spreading things out a bjt and using portal hubs judiciously also helps.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I thought only terrain modification made a significant difference to performance. Do elaborate buildings do the same thing? I haven't seen any hit even when I've gone hog wild with base construction.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I havent determined how much each building part adds tbh. Light sources are huge performance hits though.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

I also tend to get a big spike of lag when I first log in, sometimes to the point of crashing the game.

Valheim has a super low bandwidth limit on the server. Loading into a heavily modified area with terrain and building work will 100% max it out for several seconds regardless of the connection quality, that could potentially result in a timeout and shutdown. In addition to that, the server doesn't do simulation, just hold the data and handles communication, meaning the first person in an area "owns" it and runs the sim locally, and syncs with all the other players. If this person has a bad connection or a bad computer, everyone in that area will lag.

Modding the bandwidth limit is trivial and makes an enormous difference as long as you have a decent server.

Mods exist to make the server own the simulation too, but I haven't tried them so I can't comment on their reliability. Something to look at if this has been an issue for you, though.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

BrianRx posted:

I have played 400+ hours of Valheim and had never experienced a crash until last night, when I had two. I'm running a dedicated server with a friend that I set up with, what I now know to be, fairly non-standard tools and configurations. Both times, it happened in a particular place in a swamp and wiped about an hour of work from the character (but not the world). Anyone else encounter this? Seems like a bad chunk or maybe object that loads when I get within a certain distance of it. I'll just avoid that area for now, but now I'm nervous about it happening anywhere new. My friend and I played at different times so he may have done something, but I can't think of what. Is anything documented or has it happened to anyone else?

edit: the server seemed to be unaffected by the crashes. It stayed up the whole time and was reachable immediately after I relaunched the game.

The only time I ever crashed was on my fourth world when entering one crypt in the swamp and going to the first room on the left would crash me 100% of the time instantly

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BrianRx posted:

I had a very similar thing happen shortly after the game's launch when I started a co-op game with my cousin. It wasn't a dedicated server, I was just hosting, but it kinda seemed like something about the world file got corrupted somehow, and the game would crash every time either of us approached a specific area. It was very early on, so we just started a new world and it has never happened since.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Nordick posted:

I had a very similar thing happen shortly after the game's launch when I started a co-op game with my cousin. It wasn't a dedicated server, I was just hosting, but it kinda seemed like something about the world file got corrupted somehow, and the game would crash every time either of us approached a specific area. It was very early on, so we just started a new world and it has never happened since.

That's probably what's going to have to happen here. If I leave my swamp base and travel in any direction, it will CTD within two or three minutes. The swamp itself is the largest I have ever found and is about the same size as a medium-sized continent. Even sailing around it and trying to land in a different spot far away from where I first had the issue resulted in a crash. Kinda weird, for me it's 100% reproducible, but my buddy gets it about half the time when he's on by himself and 100% of the time when I'm also logged in. It's funny that stacking 70 or so mods on the game had no effect on stability or performance, but I'm running vanilla right now.

The vast majority of the fun I have in this game is building functional bases, so wiping wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Taffer posted:

Valheim has a super low bandwidth limit on the server. Loading into a heavily modified area with terrain and building work will 100% max it out for several seconds regardless of the connection quality, that could potentially result in a timeout and shutdown. In addition to that, the server doesn't do simulation, just hold the data and handles communication, meaning the first person in an area "owns" it and runs the sim locally, and syncs with all the other players. If this person has a bad connection or a bad computer, everyone in that area will lag.
Sounds like this is the issue we were having.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Taffer posted:

This always baffled me. Ended up making one guy sit out of every single boss fight because if he showed up it'd lag to poo poo but without him being there it was buttery smooth. Even if he showed up last. Tested it over a week too.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i played with friends and we basically had a little asterix style villlage and it ran okay, a bit laggy in the village itself

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Newest blog out, with some clearer images of the (new weapon) cross bow, and some Mistlands concept art

Blog: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3126067963236733079

Weapon:

Mistlands:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Oh man spiders, that's so original. Never seen giant spiders in a video game before. Other than every video game ever I mean.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Eric the Mauve posted:

Oh man spiders, that's so original. Never seen giant spiders in a video game before. Other than every video game ever I mean.

well what would you rather see?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I love the fuling design. You leave the mountains and venture out onto the plains for the first time, you've just struggled in the dingy swamp and dealing with the cold in the mountains. The environment of the plains feels more like meadows than any other biome and it's really quite beautiful. You see a small goblin, the starter enemy in many other similar games. Pulling out your shield for an easy fight you're blindsided by a deathsquito before you can engage, and your corpse run is the most difficult you've ever had because you're constantly getting one shot by this loving army of tiny green men, leaving a veritable graveyard of tombstones scattered across the plains. And once you do get oriented, they remain seriously deadly, able to swat you like a fly if you are unprepared or poorly equipped.

Basically, if this lot can do goblins in a way that absolutely delights me, I'm confident they can do spiders well enough. Also, the webs have been all over the mistlands biome for basically ever now, so it shouldn't be too surprising.

Pretty excited for the crossbow and the bone bow too. Post hearth and home I'm way less of a bow main than before, relying on my knife quite a lot actually, but Valheim bows will always hold a place in my heart.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I have this feeling I will be probably exploring Mistlands without my arachnophobic coplayer

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ive been really enjoying the crystal axe, its the ideak mountain weapon, but im thinking it wont cut it in plains. I might try the atgeir?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I found slowing effect of frostner to be quite helpful when dealing with plains yodas