Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MasterBuilder posted:

Well that's the most unsettling thing I think I'll hear today.

it's presumably why the time also always resets to day after you die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm not a coder so this is just tinfoil hat speculation but what if carian retaliation inherits how much damage it does from each spell it can deflect in some nonsense way so when they bumped up all those spell's damage numbers in the patch the carian retaliation received each buff in damage, individually

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

i'm not a coder so this is just tinfoil hat speculation but what if carian retaliation inherits how much damage it does from each spell it can deflect in some nonsense way so when they bumped up all those spell's damage numbers in the patch the carian retaliation received each buff in damage, individually

It could see it either being something like that or it not considering resistances at all or just having a misplaced zero on its damage

It also works on the wraith calling bell so I think I'll goof around with it lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the topic of Destined Death

I'm curious about who can and can't die. It seems like many Tarnished can actually die--there are plenty of Tarnished NPCs who die, and when you do quests like Volcano Manor, the narrative definitely treats the killing you do as actually killing your targets, not just sending them back to the last Grace they visited. The player, however, just keeps resurrecting, and there's definitely an epidemic of "unable to die" for a lot of enemy and NPC types around.

In general my guess is that you cannot die specifically if you have the blessing/guidance of Grace. There are lots of Tarnished who don't see Grace, or who did at one point and no longer do, and those seem to be perfectly capable of dying permanently. Meanwhile, all the non-Tarnished humans in the Lands Between presumably do have the blessing of Grace, or they'd be Tarnished, so they can't die either, even if they want to.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 21, 2022

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Republicans posted:

I think they only scream at a certain time of day, implying they resurrect and die on a daily basis.

As far as I can tell they only scream at night. Never seen one scream in the daytime!

we can probably intuit some lore reason for this, but from a game dev standpoint they probably just wanted to have some spooky things that happen during nighttime at the start of the game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

On the topic of Destined Death

I'm curious about who can and can't die. It seems like many Tarnished can actually die--there are plenty of Tarnished NPCs who die, and when you do quests like Volcano Manor, the narrative definitely treats the killing you do as actually killing your targets, not just sending them back to the last Grace they visited. The player, however, just keeps resurrecting, and there's definitely an epidemic of "unable to die" for a lot of enemy and NPC types around.

In general my guess is that you cannot die specifically if you have the blessing/guidance of Grace. There are lots of Tarnished who don't see Grace, or who did at one point and no longer do, and those seem to be perfectly capable of dying permanently. Meanwhile, all the non-Tarnished humans in the Lands Between presumably do have the blessing of Grace, or they'd be Tarnished, so they can't die either, even if they want to.

i think it's that the degree to which you resurrect is dependent on the amount of grace you have. if you have no grace at all, you straight-up die when killed. if you have an abundance of grace, like most of the demigods, you return more-or-less fully intact each time you die. things that have only a pittance of grace - the average hollow out in the world - resurrect but degenerate into a more and more pitiful state each time they die

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Playing through the early game on a new character and suddenly a ton of the imagery that went over my head is clicking, particularly the multiplayer stakes, the effigies, basically all the crucifixion symbolism based on Marika's punishment(?) of being stuck up on that whatever-it-was in the endgame, I assume it was a big rune or something

The thing she's crucified to is almost certainly the shattered remains of the Elden ring itself, first of all it looks just like a rune arc which is described as a shard of the Elden ring, the description also mentions the "lower arch" of the Elden ring as still existing. Not to mention she's in the location where you see Marika/radagon shattering the ring in the games announcement trailer. Yes I think she's being punished by the erdtree/Elden beast for shattering the ring.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another thing about the concept of Grace that has me curious (full game spoilers here):

This also makes me wonder about the true nature of Grace and who, or what, actually grants it. The player Tarnished never loses the guidance of Grace no matter what you do. Inherit the Frenzied Flame? You still have Grace. Burn the Erdtree? Still got Grace. To a degree that can be handwaved as a necessary game mechanic but these games, Elden Ring included, always contextualize the checkpoints and revival systems as part of the story, so that makes me wonder if there's a reason the player never loses the guidance of Grace even if they seem to go against what the Erdtree or Greater Will asks.

Maybe it's granted specifically by Marika? It seems her goal is just to be freed from service to the Greater Will and see the Elden Beast slain and she doesn't really give a poo poo how that happens or what happens after, so maybe she's fine with extending Grace to you so long as you're on that path. All ending paths result in the Elden Beast being slain, after all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Never was I happier about the existence of the bloodstain game mechanic than when I was visiting Heretical Rise

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So Elden Beast is dead. It was kinda easy, melted to Adula Moonblade like most large sized bosses.
Just no fun in any way, most running after it after teleports, running away from top down seeking attacks, running out of charging nebulas, jumping over rings. And I never figured out that dumb 10000 vertical long range slashes attack, I literally couldn't tell if jumping over them is impossible or if I just got the timing wrong. And I won the first attempt where the AI forgot that move, just like many bosses.
And Radagon was even more annoying. I suppose he is telling me that you shouldn't have fun, as all of his tells are hidden by the graphical after effects of any remotely fun spell or weapon art. Just play the most boring way and you win easy.

Anyway, the world exploration is top tier. But the bosses are mostly just either easy or boring to fight or both, even when they are graphically amazing. Overall my second most favourite from game, after sekiro.

Actually my most intense complaint is that they didn't inherit the posture bars from sekiro despite trying to push posture damage playstyles. Tho with how much the last few bosses punish all fun playstyles, maybe it was always meant as a trap.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Yates posted:

What are the screaming guys crucified all over the place about? I put almost no effort into understanding the plot so are they mentioned some where? Just for flavor?

if you know a better way to beautify a cliff overlook i'd like to hear it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do have to find it funny people are acting like them not liking a From Boss is new to ring.

I would say 80% of bloodborne bosses sucked outright.

When it hit it hit but there was a lot of garbage there

Just an absolutely insane take to me. The only Bloodborne bosses are thought were outright bad were Rom and Micolash. And Rom is more just tedious with the adds. The majority of Bloodborne's bosses were great

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I can't dislike Micolash

i appreciate gimmick bosses

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Andrast posted:

I can't dislike Micolash

i appreciate gimmick bosses

Micolash is good as a character but I hated the chasing him around nonsense

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

Actually my most intense complaint is that they didn't inherit the posture bars from sekiro despite trying to push posture damage playstyles. Tho with how much the last few bosses punish all fun playstyles, maybe it was always meant as a trap.

I'm curious what playstyles you think are fun that the game punishes? I beat all the final bosses the same way I played most of the other from games, with a big sword (or two big swords in this case) and dodging, and they were all good fights imoexcept oefnir who basically just got stunlocked to death.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Fallingstar Beast Jaw kind of slaps. It’s enormous, has good range, and the WA is actually awesome.

It’s really weird that it’s STR/DEX/INT though. Does the INT scaling just affect the WA, or does it up the damage in general as well? I bumped my INT up to like 22 for it.

I guess it seems strange because it doesn’t seem like a weapon for magic users, but I feel like I’ve seen other huge weapons with big INT requirements.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Harrow posted:

Another thing about the concept of Grace that has me curious (full game spoilers here):

This also makes me wonder about the true nature of Grace and who, or what, actually grants it. The player Tarnished never loses the guidance of Grace no matter what you do. Inherit the Frenzied Flame? You still have Grace. Burn the Erdtree? Still got Grace. To a degree that can be handwaved as a necessary game mechanic but these games, Elden Ring included, always contextualize the checkpoints and revival systems as part of the story, so that makes me wonder if there's a reason the player never loses the guidance of Grace even if they seem to go against what the Erdtree or Greater Will asks.

Maybe it's granted specifically by Marika? It seems her goal is just to be freed from service to the Greater Will and see the Elden Beast slain and she doesn't really give a poo poo how that happens or what happens after, so maybe she's fine with extending Grace to you so long as you're on that path. All ending paths result in the Elden Beast being slain, after all.

It’s also maybe something granted specifically by the Greater Will. Which I take to be far off planet and require thousands of years of light speed travel to get information/influence back and forth (based on how the two fingers “consult” the greater will by pointing straight up like an antenna and the fingermaiden says it will take several millennia). The elden beast is the GW’s vassal and so has some authority to make decisions on its behalf but there are some things it’s not authorized/able to do?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

The Fallingstar Beast Jaw kind of slaps. It’s enormous, has good range, and the WA is actually awesome.

It’s really weird that it’s STR/DEX/INT though. Does the INT scaling just affect the WA, or does it up the damage in general as well? I bumped my INT up to like 22 for it.

I guess it seems strange because it doesn’t seem like a weapon for magic users, but I feel like I’ve seen other huge weapons with big INT requirements.

Usually, Int or Faith scaling applies specifically to the elemental damage on a weapon, while Str or Dex scaling applies to the physical damage. (Arcane can go either way--for example, it applies to the fire damage on Rivers of Blood, but the physical damage on an Occult-infused weapon).

So for the Fallingstar Beast Jaw, Int scales the magic damage, while Str and Dex scale the physical damage. There's a good amount of magic damage on it, but the Int scaling maxes out at D, so it seems like it's not really meant to be a focus beyond the required Int to wield it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

It gets better! If you don't like standing in the pool of rot, the arena is surrounded by ledges you can fall off and/or get knocked off to your death!

The fight can thankfully be cheesed if you run out of patience, like I did.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Macaluso posted:

Just an absolutely insane take to me. The only Bloodborne bosses are thought were outright bad were Rom and Micolash. And Rom is more just tedious with the adds. The majority of Bloodborne's bosses were great

So you liked the celestial emissary, witches of Henwich, AMA, the one reborn, Margo’s wetnurse, that one fight that was just three humans that turned into tentacle monsters, moons presence,Paarl etc.

You think all those were good?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eggnogium posted:

It’s also maybe something granted specifically by the Greater Will. Which I take to be far off planet and require thousands of years of light speed travel to get information/influence back and forth (based on how the two fingers “consult” the greater will by pointing straight up like an antenna and the fingermaiden says it will take several millennia). The elden beast is the GW’s vassal and so has some authority to make decisions on its behalf but there are some things it’s not authorized/able to do?

That could be, yeah. I did enjoy the antenna-like stance the Two Fingers take when they're trying to commune with the Greater Will. I'd assumed that the Greater Will might have just straight-up abandoned the world at this point, but the idea that it's just really far away and communication takes thousands of years as a result makes sense, too.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I encountered someone who sold ashes of war, one of them you could buy was parry. I need it for a shield. Anyone remember what merchant that is?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Harrow posted:

Isn't Marika responsible for taking away the grace from the tarnished in the first place? If she was able to revoke it and banish them all that time ago, then it seems reasonable that she was able to extend/restore it? Maybe Marika's will is the greater will? Edit: no wait probably not

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

So you liked the celestial emissary, witches of Henwich, AMA, the one reborn, Margo’s wetnurse, that one fight that was just three humans that turned into tentacle monsters, moons presence,Paarl etc.

yes those were all good

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Harrow posted:

That could be, yeah. I did enjoy the antenna-like stance the Two Fingers take when they're trying to commune with the Greater Will. I'd assumed that the Greater Will might have just straight-up abandoned the world at this point, but the idea that it's just really far away and communication takes thousands of years as a result makes sense, too.

It's also very possible that

The Elden Ring being hosed up is making it even harder than normal to communicate its will. Like, normally it could communicate faster if the Ring was intact thus the entire point of throwing it here via meteor

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can perry from full block in ER

No way. I gotta try it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

yes those were all good

The Celestial Emissary was the best fight because the true fight is to see how few hits you can kill it in

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

So you liked the celestial emissary, witches of Henwich, AMA, the one reborn, Margo’s wetnurse, that one fight that was just three humans that turned into tenfold monsters, moons presence,Paarl etc.

Yes. Okay I guess celestial emissaries and the witches weren't as good but The Shadows of Yarnham are awesome and so is Margos Wetnurse.

I mean I think it helps that the combat in Bloodborne is so fast and aggressive so most fights are still fun even if the bosses aren't all amazing: also Paarl is particularly funny, he just falls over dead

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still can't get over how despite the Grace and gold and this and that at the end of the day it's some outsider fingering the lands between

They even communicate through fingerprints on stone, lmao, what the gently caress

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

try finger
but hole

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Macaluso posted:

Yes. Okay I guess celestial emissaries and the witches weren't as good but The Shadows of Yarnham are awesome and so is Margos Wetnurse.

I mean I think it helps that the combat in Bloodborne is so fast and aggressive so most fights are still fun even if the bosses aren't all amazing: also Paarl is particularly funny, he just falls over dead

Well then we are gonna have to agree to disagree be causing going back to replay bloodborne I was disappointed in bloodborne bosses not being as good as I remembered

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Jeremor posted:

As someone who has played but never beaten a DS game before, I made a vagabond guy thinking I'll be pure melee and probably balance str and dex pretty evenly. Reading stuff has made me second guess that idea, though. It seems like it won't really keep up as the game goes on and doesn't have any tricks to it without some magic.

Now I'm tempted to make a full str meaty boy, or a str/faith paladin... any tips? Am I just wrong that a balanced vagabond guy will be kind of underpowered?

My tip is to not read this thread or much at all. Theres no point in speculating over anything if you have not beaten the game. Just enjoy it and have fun

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nothing wrong with Celestial emissary or Witches of Hemwick

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Eggnogium posted:

I definitely think the erdtree/Elden beast is some sort or spacefaring colonizing species. The Elden beast is a spore or something, and it creates the erdtree which spreads on the planet. The Elden ring is some artifact it uses to control the population on the planet so that they worship it instead of fighting it. My thinking is because the Elden beast is so reminiscent of Astel, which is pretty explicitly an alien invader. Also the idea of a hive minded plant species controlling humanity in order to protect itself and let itself expand is a common theme in GRRMs early SciFi work. The idea that the erdtree is part of a galactic hive mind that communicates to other planets using the two fingers as antennas is a great one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Easy bosses or gimmick bosses are fine. Like, Celestial Emissary isn't particularly challenging, but it isn't supposed to be. It's an encounter with a bunch of goofy alien dudes. If it was super hard and frustrating or something I'd get it, but it isn't. It's there for flavor, not to be some sort of polished-to-a-mirror-shine sublime combat experience. It's okay for bosses to sometimes just be A Weird Guy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

I think it's granted by whatever Elder God the GW is, but it doesn't have the influence or strength left to just strip it away once granted. If Greater Will was so strong, it could fix this poo poo up but it seems desperate, constrained by the broken state of things, far more limited ability to exercise it's will directly with those who might otherwise do it in a self-maintaining fashion have all gone nutso.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

codo27 posted:

I encountered someone who sold ashes of war, one of them you could buy was parry. I need it for a shield. Anyone remember what merchant that is?

warmaster's shack in stormhill, from bernhal. it's east of the gate grace if you dont have the shack grace

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My punishment for planning on savescumming the endings: I panic-hard-closed the game during one of the biggest cutscenes of the game because I thought I had triggered an ending. Didn't work. Had to watch the cutscene on dinky smartphone. Thankfully, did not seem to be the ending, because I woke up in a new area. This is like the fifth time I thought I was about to finish the game, but was not.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Easy bosses or gimmick bosses are fine. Like, Celestial Emissary isn't particularly challenging, but it isn't supposed to be. It's an encounter with a bunch of goofy alien dudes. If it was super hard and frustrating or something I'd get it, but it isn't. It's there for flavor, not to be some sort of polished-to-a-mirror-shine sublime combat experience. It's okay for bosses to sometimes just be A Weird Guy.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

codo27 posted:

Warmaster Shack in Limgrave has most of the basic ashes.