Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

In the 12 months since I moved in, my new house appreciated more than the entire value of my old house, which itself doubled in value since I first bought it. Things are crazy.

I know people gett annoyed with housing chat but I bought a very modest house in 2016 for 130k. it was appraised last year for 180k. 220k this year. that's 30% for what I paid in 1 year lol

I don't say that to brag or anything it's just goddamned asinine how much housing is appreciating. I don't see how this isn't a bubble. I haven't made 90k in improvements to the house. I mean yeah I've taken care of it and fixed some stuff but lol home values are completely untethered to anything. and it's not like I could sell it and use the money to buy something better because every other house on the market is overpriced too so the only thing exploding home prices do for me is make me pay more in taxes on it. which would be great if it meant they paid teachers more and poo poo but IDK where the hell the money goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol your family doctor isn't pulling down $300k, that bitch better be riding the bus like a responsible poor

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wouldn't buying in bulk be exactly what you should do? Your money becomes worth less over time, and buying in bulk is generally cheaper in the first place.

Obviously there is the question of whether you actually have the money to do so, but if you do, this seems straight up bad advice. At least the rest is just them being assholes.

Because it's rude to take the subway home with 19 cubic feet of paper towels and canned lentils, of course

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
canned lentils?

bro

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

spacemang_spliff posted:

I know people gett annoyed with housing chat but I bought a very modest house in 2016 for 130k. it was appraised last year for 180k. 220k this year. that's 30% for what I paid in 1 year lol

I don't say that to brag or anything it's just goddamned asinine how much housing is appreciating. I don't see how this isn't a bubble. I haven't made 90k in improvements to the house. I mean yeah I've taken care of it and fixed some stuff but lol home values are completely untethered to anything. and it's not like I could sell it and use the money to buy something better because every other house on the market is overpriced too so the only thing exploding home prices do for me is make me pay more in taxes on it. which would be great if it meant they paid teachers more and poo poo but IDK where the hell the money goes

we bought right before the pandemic shut everything down and now zillow says it's increased by over $350k since then, lol california

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

spacemang_spliff posted:

canned lentils?

bro

smdh

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

good thing last year's lentil crop didn't bomb big time

oh

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
if i buy the bagged stuff im missing out on the Lentil Juice and thats like 200 calories down the drain per trip

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wouldn't buying in bulk be exactly what you should do? Your money becomes worth less over time, and buying in bulk is generally cheaper in the first place.

Obviously there is the question of whether you actually have the money to do so, but if you do, this seems straight up bad advice. At least the rest is just them being assholes.

Yes. A constant problem I ran into working a near-minimum-wage job was that as much as I might want to buy the better product that would last longer, or bulk of items so that I got a cheaper cost per unit, I never had the money to do that so I was constantly replacing lovely shoes or buying another pack of toilet paper or whatever. I think catch-22 goes into this but inflation obviously makes that significantly worse.

300K puts you close to the 99th percentile of income; they're literally telling 99 out of every 100 americans to gently caress off to the bus and give up meat and most of those people don't even have the bus option realistically.

e: and the "nobody said this would be fun" line should be what's written on their graves after we guillotine them; condescending assholes.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Never seen canned lentils in my life

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we bought right before the pandemic shut everything down and now zillow says it's increased by over $350k since then, lol california

lmao goddamn

my old rear end neighbor passed away a month or so ago, his kids are cleaning out his house, which I assume they plan to sell. I wonder who will buy it. This is definitely a working class kind of neighborhood, most of the houses are 2-3 bedroom 1-2 bath ranches built in the 50s. It'd be nice to see a family buy it but I gotta think most people are priced out, so I assume it will be a rental company.

I'm willing to bet in 10 years I'll be one of the few people still owning on my block.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

behind the post:

I had originally written canned tomatoes then remembered at the last second that the tweet mentioned lentils so i changed it without thinking about the context or consequence to try to capture a better posting demographic

also im stupid

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

projecthalaxy posted:

behind the post:

I had originally written canned tomatoes then remembered at the last second that the tweet mentioned lentils so i changed it without thinking about the context or consequence to try to capture a better posting demographic

also im stupid

not being able to identify a vegetable sounds like signature goon so I think you're ok.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

christmas boots posted:

not being able to identify a vegetable sounds like signature goon so I think you're ok.

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

spacemang_spliff posted:

lmao goddamn

my old rear end neighbor passed away a month or so ago, his kids are cleaning out his house, which I assume they plan to sell. I wonder who will buy it. This is definitely a working class kind of neighborhood, most of the houses are 2-3 bedroom 1-2 bath ranches built in the 50s. It'd be nice to see a family buy it but I gotta think most people are priced out, so I assume it will be a rental company.

I'm willing to bet in 10 years I'll be one of the few people still owning on my block.

the retired lady we bought from told us that we weren't the highest bid, apparently we came in 3rd but our cringy letter of Our New Family pushed us to the top over all the institutional investors for her

this is our first house and it's kinda wild how this neighborhood's turnover is going, we've already had three new families move in on our little street alone since we did, and one of our immediate neighbors just had their kids spend the last three weekends cleaning out what appears to be all of their stuff so it looks like #4 is on the way, all the old folks appear to have decided it's time to be gettin the hell outta here

all the other streets around here seem to have the same story, but with way more redfin purchases. i saw a three bedroom a block over go for about $420/sqft last summer - we paid closer to $250/sqft, poo poo is bananas and i don't see how it's sustainable. we already wouldn't have been able to afford this place if we'd waited even 4 months

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
canned chicken nuggets

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the retired lady we bought from told us that we weren't the highest bid, apparently we came in 3rd but our cringy letter of Our New Family pushed us to the top over all the institutional investors for her
institutional investors read this, start setting up shell families to buy homes cheaper

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

A Buttery Pastry posted:

institutional investors read this, start setting up shell families to buy homes cheaper

iirc those letters (and pictures ofc) are required for all home purchases in oregon, i'd imagine they've already pioneered this one weird trick

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

iirc those letters (and pictures ofc) are required for all home purchases in oregon, i'd imagine they've already pioneered this one weird trick
corporate familyhood

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

wasn't there a period of times where real estate types would hire "model families" to occupy a home during the sale process?

it wouldn't surprise me one tiny bit to see them requesting application letters from families to live in their properties which they then turn around and use to circumvent poo poo like oregon's rules

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

My [SPOUSE] and [NUMBER_BETWEEN_1_3] children [NAMES 1-3] are excited to move into our first [INVESTMENT PORTFOLIO]

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is our first house and it's kinda wild how this neighborhood's turnover is going, we've already had three new families move in on our little street alone since we did, and one of our immediate neighbors just had their kids spend the last three weekends cleaning out what appears to be all of their stuff so it looks like #4 is on the way, all the old folks appear to have decided it's time to be gettin the hell outta here

all the other streets around here seem to have the same story, but with way more redfin purchases. i saw a three bedroom a block over go for about $420/sqft last summer - we paid closer to $250/sqft, poo poo is bananas and i don't see how it's sustainable. we already wouldn't have been able to afford this place if we'd waited even 4 months

How is it not sustainable? The banks have unlimited money.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Lib and let die posted:

wasn't there a period of times where real estate types would hire "model families" to occupy a home during the sale process?

it wouldn't surprise me one tiny bit to see them requesting application letters from families to live in their properties which they then turn around and use to circumvent poo poo like oregon's rules

There's a movement to ban those letters precisely because they can let people engage in plausibly deniable racism

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

The Americans, except instead of Soviet agents it's BlackRock employees.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

fast cars loose anus posted:

There's a movement to ban those letters precisely because they can let people engage in plausibly deniable racism

hmm considering the history of Oregon I assume that's the whole point

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nothus posted:

How is it not sustainable? The banks have unlimited money.

we had to get a special "jumbo loan" for our mortgage because it was for so much lol

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't know or care how much my house is "worth" since we refinanced to get a 2% interest rate. My entire loan balance is smaller than most of the gains you guys have been taking about in here though lol, your mortgage payments must be more than I make in a month.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

canned lentils?

bro

Well how else am I supposed to get my microplastics and phthalates on this stupid whole foods diet?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/sta...ingawful.com%2F

:thunk:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
:rubby:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1506...ingawful.com%2F

YOU CONTROL CONGRESS AND THE WHITE HOUSE YOU loving ASSHOLES

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Lmfao have a million Americans died of COVID yet? China is still way under 10,000, right?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Lmfao have a million Americans died of COVID yet? China is still way under 10,000, right?

i dunno we stopped counting

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
like literally. we aren't counting anymore. we stopped before we officially hit a million because man that's a big number that would definitely grab some headlines. literally zero places in america are counting anymore

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Ahahahahahaha that rules

The democrats have earned their destruction so hard I can barely believe it

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the settler state, faced with no remaining frontiers, cannibalizes itself from the bottom up. death to america

Inshallah

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Ahahahahahaha that rules

The democrats have earned their destruction so hard I can barely believe it

agressively pretending that covid isn't real honestly seems like the only broadly popular thing they've done lol

Griz
May 21, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol your family doctor isn't pulling down $300k, that bitch better be riding the bus like a responsible poor

turns out doctors can't buy houses either because they can't compete with corporations
https://twitter.com/DrDrAbhiKole/status/1505890528428240903

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
To buy a house I needed a free VA loan, cash out retirement savings, an inheritance, a sizeable amount of savings, and we still needed a gift from the inlaws. We were out bid over 9 times before finally we got one

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Griz posted:

turns out doctors can't buy houses either because they can't compete with corporations
https://twitter.com/DrDrAbhiKole/status/1505890528428240903

gee maybe the Democrats, who control the House, Senate, and White House, should do something about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ex post facho posted:

gee maybe the Democrats, who control the House, Senate, and White House, should do something about this

but the country is actually run by the parliamentarian