Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

euphronius posted:

I will never learn to parry so that is two From games I can’t do

I've never parried in DS1-3, or Elden ring. Bloodborne and Sekiro are vastly different. The parry window is longer than the window to dodge iframes in other souls games. Its silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

enojy posted:

My punishment for planning on savescumming the endings: I panic-hard-closed the game during one of the biggest cutscenes of the game because I thought I had triggered an ending. Didn't work. Had to watch the cutscene on dinky smartphone. Thankfully, did not seem to be the ending, because I woke up in a new area. This is like the fifth time I thought I was about to finish the game, but was not.

Which cutscene, out of curiosity?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I could not parry in BB at all.

Maybe 10% success rate

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Harrow posted:

Easy bosses or gimmick bosses are fine. Like, Celestial Emissary isn't particularly challenging, but it isn't supposed to be. It's an encounter with a bunch of goofy alien dudes. If it was super hard and frustrating or something I'd get it, but it isn't. It's there for flavor, not to be some sort of polished-to-a-mirror-shine sublime combat experience. It's okay for bosses to sometimes just be A Weird Guy.

See I prefer to be challenging or frustrating rather than ultimately just a waste of time

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Harrow posted:

Which cutscene, out of curiosity?

Melina burning the Erdtree at the Giant's flame. All I know really about the savescum process is "you can make a save backup before choosing an ending" and I was like oh gently caress I just made a choice of some sort!! Even though I first chose no, and she was just like "alright then well come on back whenever I'll be here"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

See I prefer to be challenging or frustrating rather than ultimately just a waste of time

they were fun and interesting

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TastyAvocado posted:

I definitely think the erdtree/Elden beast is some sort or spacefaring colonizing species. The Elden beast is a spore or something, and it creates the erdtree which spreads on the planet. The Elden ring is some artifact it uses to control the population on the planet so that they worship it instead of fighting it. My thinking is because the Elden beast is so reminiscent of Astel, which is pretty explicitly an alien invader. Also the idea of a hive minded plant species controlling humanity in order to protect itself and let itself expand is a common theme in GRRMs early SciFi work. The idea that the erdtree is part of a galactic hive mind that communicates to other planets using the two fingers as antennas is a great one.

This is consistent with some of the other things in the game. The Scarlet Rot, for example, appears to be another form of outer god terraforming. There are lifeforms that seem to sprout from the Scarlet Rot or rely on it to survive, like the Kindred of Rot bug guys, all the interesting fungi and plants in Caelid, the rot blossoms, etc. It's a different type of life that's incompatible with the current life on the planet, so it's a horrible disease to them, but a necessary environmental feature for the rot-native life.

It's also consistent with one sort of meta-game thing: Miyazaki specifically said that he's a fan of GRRM's earlier sci-fi work and that's why he wanted to work with him.

CharlestheHammer posted:

What I'm contending is that flavor isn't a waste of time. If the Celestial Emissary encounter just didn't have a boss bar you wouldn't even have clocked it as a boss that was supposed to be super hard or anything. It would just be a weird and memorable room full of alien guys right before the real boss of the area.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

TastyAvocado posted:

I'm curious what playstyles you think are fun that the game punishes? I beat all the final bosses the same way I played most of the other from games, with a big sword (or two big swords in this case) and dodging, and they were all good fights imoexcept oefnir who basically just got stunlocked to death.

The last few bosses do kind of punish certain playstyles. Radagon catches spells and throws them back at you. Elden Beast runs away and shoots beams at you, making melee kind of tedious. Malenia's heal mechanic makes her unbelievably hard if you can't stunlock her, you cannot trade and some of her moves are too fast and deadly to reliably dodge. Hoarah Loux is pretty drat aggressive so I can see trying to use spells as tricky if you don't have something tank for you. I have no clue how you're supposed to beat Malikith without summoning, his poo poo was so insane I couldn't even make it 20 seconds into phase 2.

Oefnir was a cool boss. I ran up and gave him the Hug of Frenzy while he was buffing. He died immediately. 10/10 would fight again.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 21, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

enojy posted:

Melina burning the Erdtree at the Giant's flame. All I know really about the savescum process is "you can make a save backup before choosing an ending" and I was like oh gently caress I just made a choice of some sort!! Even though I first chose no, and she was just like "alright then well come on back whenever I'll be here"

i don't know the specifics for elden ring but if it's anything like sekiro, you literally have to interact with a thing after beating the final boss to start the ending, and interacting with that thing lets you pick from the endings you qualify for OR back off if you did it by accident. you can straight up leave the boss arena and go do other poo poo before touching it. that'd be your time to savescum

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
So regarding the frenzied flame ending - I did not know Melina had anything to do with it when I got that ending. I found the three fingers after trying radagon a few times, so Melina had already barbecued herself to light up the erdtree. When I beat the Elden Beast, I became the lord, that almost matte painting depiction of the erdtree and surroundings being engulfed came up and then went to credits. No dialogue at all. I suppose that means there’s really two frenzied flame lord endings?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

enojy posted:

Oh yeah, that's not the end as you've just discovered. It isn't even really a point of no return, not yet at least.

Cowcaster posted:

i don't know the specifics for elden ring but if it's anything like sekiro, you literally have to interact with a thing after beating the final boss to start the ending, and interacting with that thing lets you pick from the endings you qualify for OR back off if you did it by accident. you can straight up leave the boss arena and go do other poo poo before touching it. that'd be your time to savescum

The only ending this doesn't apply for is Frenzied Flame, which requires you to set it up ahead of time and overrides the other ending options. So you can save-scum two of the three ending achievements the way you describe, but not the third.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CharlestheHammer posted:

So you liked the celestial emissary, witches of Henwich, AMA, the one reborn, Margo’s wetnurse, that one fight that was just three humans that turned into tentacle monsters, moons presence,Paarl etc.

You think all those were good?

easy and neat encounter before hard boss ebrietas
easy and kinda lame
AMA - Amgydala? Fun and good fight
Cool as gently caress intro, fun
easy, nothing wrong with it, player has eclipsed this boss at this point it feels good to sense progression
Shadows of Yarnham? That fight is great
Moon presence is cool
paarl is fun, cool design, lots of enjoyment breaking its legs

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Aipsh posted:

So regarding the frenzied flame ending - I did not know Melina had anything to do with it when I got that ending. I found the three fingers after trying radagon a few times, so Melina had already barbecued herself to light up the erdtree. When I beat the Elden Beast, I became the lord, that almost matte painting depiction of the erdtree and surroundings being engulfed came up and then went to credits. No dialogue at all. I suppose that means there’s really two frenzied flame lord endings?

No, there's just the one. If Melina is around when you go to visit the three fingers she'll talk to you at the grace before it and beg you not to, and the next grace you rest at afterwards she leaves and says she'll kill you if you ever become lord, but that's the last you ever see of her - as far as I'm aware there's never any followup

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If Celestial Emissary didn't have a boss HP bar it'd never come up as a "bad" encounter at all. It'd just be this weird room full of alien guys and then WHOA one of them got big, lmao that's wild

If anything giving it a boss HP bar is pretty funny, and that's worth it on its own.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

Usually, Int or Faith scaling applies specifically to the elemental damage on a weapon, while Str or Dex scaling applies to the physical damage. (Arcane can go either way--for example, it applies to the fire damage on Rivers of Blood, but the physical damage on an Occult-infused weapon).

So for the Fallingstar Beast Jaw, Int scales the magic damage, while Str and Dex scale the physical damage. There's a good amount of magic damage on it, but the Int scaling maxes out at D, so it seems like it's not really meant to be a focus beyond the required Int to wield it.

So INT doesn’t affect the Weapon Art damage? Does anything affect that, or is it just standard based on the weapon upgrade level?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pretty sure I softlocked Nepheli's quest.
I killed the Omenkiller without her, she's not at Roundtable and Odin Daddy won't take Selvus' potion from me.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

No, there's just the one. If Melina is around when you go to visit the three fingers she'll talk to you at the grace before it and beg you not to, and the next grace you rest at afterwards she leaves and says she'll kill you if you ever become lord, but that's the last you ever see of her - as far as I'm aware there's never any followup

She will show up in an extension of the normal Frenzy ending, on her way to kill you

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So INT doesn’t affect the Weapon Art damage? Does anything affect that, or is it just standard based on the weapon upgrade level?

That I unfortunately can't answer, since nothing in the game really specifies what scales each individual weapon art and I've never used that specific weapon. My guess is it's a combination of weapon upgrade level and stat scaling, and I'm not sure what damage type the weapon art does.

One example I can use is Moonveil. Moonveil has B/B scaling with Dex/Int, with Dex scaling the physical damage and Int scaling the magic damage. If you have a 50/50 Dex/Int build, you'll do more damage with Moonveil's basic attacks than an 18 Dex/80 Int build (I tested this myself), but because the weapon art is pure magic damage, the Int-heavy build makes the weapon art hit harder. This suggests that Transient Moonlight's scaling isn't the same as Moonveil's, despite it being Moonveil's weapon art, which makes me think that weapon art scaling and weapon scaling aren't necessarily always linked.

You can test this yourself without respeccing if you have any of the "Heirloom" talismans that increase your stats. The Stargazer Heirloom gives you +5 Int, so you could put that on, use the weapon art, then take it off and use the weapon art again and see what the damage difference is. You could do the same with a Str or Dex talisman (Starscourge for Str, Prosthesis-Wearer for Dex) to see how those affect the weapon art damage. Scarseal/Soreseal talismans also work for this (Radagon's for physical stats, Marika's for magical).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 21, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

I killed the Omenkiller without her, she's not at Roundtable and Odin Daddy won't take Selvus' potion from me.
she's under the bridge on the hill leading up to the village waiting for you to progress her dialogue and she'll hop from there straight to the roundtable at which point you can move forward with the other quest, i did the exact same thing

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

She doesn't go to her previous spot in the roundtable - check down the stairs by the imp gates.

This threw me off as well, Summoning her for the boss shouldn't be needed.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

She will show up in an extension of the normal Frenzy ending, on her way to kill you

Oh, my bad. I guess I was thinking of how she never shows up the other way around, if you burn the tree on your own and then use the needle to get a normal ending?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The final boss isn't any more frustrating for melee than Midir was. Felt pretty similar tbh, I'm positive that if we cracked open the AI we'd find it has a bit of Midir at the core, at least for arena movement. Of course, I also remember people complaining about Midir a lot, so that probably doesn't help. I loved the Midir fight, and didn't mind the Elden Beast's movement (the only move that pissed me off was that stupid neverending homing stars attack), because they move like how I'd expect really big beasts to react to some tiny thing punching at their ankles: attack their feet then get up and fly away. Makes more sense than sitting around and every now and then slowly swiping at where I was 5 seconds ago (hello almost every other non-boss bar dragon)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh yeah, nepheli. Before the patch she was talking about how the ash smelled like the storm. Then after the patch she was gone and her axes were there, like she got killed or something? Does Mr. Edgelord kill her when he invades roundtable if you don't meet certain conditions? wth was that about I was hoping to see the rest of her quest :mad:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think most of the bosses are pretty good in ER most complaints are just recency bias, but I can understand why EB is not good not for challenge but more tedium

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The final boss isn't any more frustrating for melee than Midir was. Felt pretty similar tbh, I'm positive that if we cracked open the AI we'd find it has a bit of Midir at the core, at least for arena movement. Of course, I also remember people complaining about Midir a lot, so that probably doesn't help. I loved the Midir fight, and didn't mind the Elden Beast's movement (the only move that pissed me off was that stupid neverending homing stars attack), because they move like how I'd expect really big beasts to react to some tiny thing punching at their ankles: attack their feet then get up and fly away. Makes more sense than sitting around and every now and then slowly swiping at where I was 5 seconds ago (hello almost every other non-boss bar dragon)

Midir is a pretty poo poo boss tbh

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

The final boss isn't any more frustrating for melee than Midir was.

To be fair it was super annoying to run to midir/Elden beast swing once and have it piss off to the other side of the arena. Change my mind, you should have been able to use torrent for Elden beast.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

oh yeah, nepheli. Before the patch she was talking about how the ash smelled like the storm. Then after the patch she was gone and her axes were there, like she got killed or something? Does Mr. Edgelord kill her when he invades roundtable if you don't meet certain conditions? wth was that about I was hoping to see the rest of her quest :mad:

Check the boss room at Stormviel. She's supposed to be tied to Kenneth's quest. Edgelord attacks you after you get the half of the Haligtree medallion from the village, so the timing doesn't really work out for him killing Nepheli?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Midir's the best souls dragon boss since Kalameet imo but I understand the frustration

MasterBuilder posted:

To be fair it was super annoying to run to midir/Elden beast swing once and have it piss off to the other side of the arena. Change my mind, you should have been able to use torrent for Elden beast.
100% agreed on Torrent. Kinda weird to not have him for that tbh

Oxyclean posted:

Check the boss room at Stormviel. She's supposed to be tied to Kenneth's quest. Edgelord attacks you after you get the half of the Haligtree medallion from the village, so the timing doesn't really work out for him killing Nepheli?
Thank you! I'll give that a try tonight

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Elden Beast was fine except for the one sparkling fairy light homing attack, the only ways to get round it seem to be stuff like shield strafing which I don't have a shield really. Sprinting across the map to slash at it as melee was as annoying as any dragon but not functionally any worse save for the un-dodgeable thing (and maybe i just never learned it, i didnt reach Elden Beats that many times before killing it). He does it more often than a Dragon, but that kind of just makes it a chiller, slower fight since you spend so much time/stamina just running and jumping.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

MasterBuilder posted:

i was stunned that you could not. it seemed like it would be perfectly appropriate

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

kalameet was so good. never ended up fighting midir, got bored and moved on to other things besides ds3 after the sister friede fight which was extremely good

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Midir's the best souls dragon boss since Kalameet imo but I understand the frustration

i cannot for the life of me remember how dragons used to fight in past games despite having killed them before. First dragon I saw in Elden Ring, I was terrified of it, just charged right at it and under its feet to run away down the bridge. Second time I saw it, I got knocked off horse and figured I'd fight and it wasn't nearly as hard as I had hoped, and then sadly every dragon after that was basically the same thing, only Borealis being a good dragon fight.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You 100% should have been able to use Torrent. I loved fighting dragons on horseback with a halbert and setting up what is in effect a dragon fight with no horse is such a missed opportunity

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Andrast posted:

I can't dislike Micolash

i appreciate gimmick bosses

I got owned by his late stage nuke too many times to appreciate the goofiness

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Along with all the other Dark Souls and Bloodborne combined, Elden Ring also feels a lot like Dominions to me lol

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fighting things on torrent is very repetitive and boring imho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Any time I'm given the opportunity to fight a boss on horseback I assume it's a trap and I'm usually right

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
+1 to add torrent, horseback combat was one of the best things added to the game and I can't think of any game where it's more fun to fight on horseback. using a bow sucked on horseback but thats because the game only adds bows because it would be awkward to let enemies have em and you cant, it clearly does not want anyone to ever use a bow for any length of time. however, if they had added decent horseback-bow they could've added target shooting puzzles or enemies.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Anyone know if we can drop Rune Arcs for other players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

central dogma posted:

Anyone know if we can drop Rune Arcs for other players?

You cannot