Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ariong posted:

Does seppo mean american? I’ve never heard that before. Where does it come from?

It's rhyming slang. Yank - septic tank - septics - seppo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also the point of rhyming slang is to annoy people so it is working as intended.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Ariong posted:

Does seppo mean american? I’ve never heard that before. Where does it come from?

It's one of those rhyming slang things that criminals use. Septic tank=Yank.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Wow, it’s like being insulted by a character from a nursery rhyme.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
as an american living in london, calling us seppos is a bit rich when you see how much raw sewage ends up in the Thames

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

gleebster posted:

It's one of those rhyming slang things that criminals use. Septic tank=Yank.

I would have said something about not all cockney speakers being criminals, but yeah, no, they probably are.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

If you live in america I can't see why you would need one unless you are leaving permamently. It's a big country, you can pick whatever geography you like without crossing the border.

A lot more people likely travel for cultural rather than geographic reasons. The weather and landscape of San Diego and Nice are reasonably similar, but that's about where the comparison ends.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
passports also cost money that (for all the reasons stated before) can be hard to justify spending

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

moonmazed posted:

this is the most annoying poo poo on earth

Yeah they're annoying but I think the ruskies are winning that title atm

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I heard yank=septic tank came from WW2 when the Sherman tank came out. Not sure if it refers to the contents or the tank itself.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

moonmazed posted:

this is the most annoying poo poo on earth

Agreed. But we just have to deal with the seppos until their civil war kicks off.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Its called rhyming slang and yet sleppos doesnt actually rhyme, the british remain the type of people id expect to not have murdered thier monarchs by 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

mandatory lesbian posted:

Its called rhyming slang and yet sleppos doesnt actually rhyme, the british remain the type of people id expect to not have murdered thier monarchs by 2022

I am 70% certain Tank rhymes with Yank.

Also it's mostly Australians who use the term because if there's one thing we love it's short nicknames, generally being offensive, bigotry and being too drunk to sound clever or count. It's called cultcha.

E: VV Reddo gets it

Outrail has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Mar 20, 2022

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
you can easily tell it's australian because the last syllable has been replaced with an 'o'

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there are so many better kinds of strange national slang than cockney rhyming slang anyway.

my favorite is french verlan, where you take the syllables of the word and reverse their order.

so for instance herbe (grass), weed, becomes her be ("ehr beuh") -> be her, or phonetically in french beuhère, the verlan slang for weed. this can then be shortened to simply beu.

verlan is verlan for "l'envers," which means "in reverse"

disque (record): skeud
métro (subway, metro): tromé
femme (woman): meuf

multisyllable words might have different verlan versions. cigarette could be garetsi or retsiga.

you can do it multiple times, too. say you start with arabe, arab, and verlan that into beur. you could use that term directly, or verlan it again into rebeu. the latter is common slang for a convenience store clerk, because the french are big ol racists.

much more fun than cockney nursery rhyme stuff!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sagebrush posted:

there are so many better kinds of strange national slang than cockney rhyming slang anyway.

my favorite is french verlan, where you take the syllables of the word and reverse their order.

so for instance herbe (grass), weed, becomes her be ("ehr beuh") -> be her, or phonetically in french beuhère, the verlan slang for weed. this can then be shortened to simply beu.

verlan is verlan for "l'envers," which means "in reverse"

disque (record): skeud
métro (subway, metro): tromé
femme (woman): meuf

multisyllable words might have different verlan versions. cigarette could be garetsi or retsiga.

you can do it multiple times, too. say you start with arabe, arab, and verlan that into beur. you could use that term directly, or verlan it again into rebeu. the latter is common slang for a convenience store clerk, because the french are big ol racists.

much more fun than cockney nursery rhyme stuff!

Sounds like seppo poo poo to me.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I always assumed it meant separatist and thought that was an odd insult but then I learned it was septic tank and now it's a bummer of a thing to be called

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

That's the biggest stretch I've seen since goatse.cx

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mobby_6kl posted:

That's the biggest stretch I've seen since goatse.cx

Turn on your monitor.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Outrail posted:

I am 70% certain Tank rhymes with Yank.

Also it's mostly Australians who use the term because if there's one thing we love it's short nicknames, generally being offensive, bigotry and being too drunk to sound clever or count. It's called cultcha.

E: VV Reddo gets it

Does pommie work the same way? Pommies - pompous shits - Brits?

E: Oh, according to Wiktionary it is rhyming slang - pommies - pomegranates - immigrants.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Isn't it from "Property Of his Majesty" sewn into armed forces battledress?

I'm not sure "pomegranate" really rhymes with "immigrant".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everything rhymes if you pronounce it wrong enough.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

tight aspirations posted:

Isn't it from "Property Of his Majesty" sewn into armed forces battledress?

this sounds like one of those "fornication under consent of the king" type urban legends

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Platystemon posted:

Absolutely. Just like the most important thing when writing rhyming verse is making sure it rhymes, with no thought for meter or scansion

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

moonmazed posted:

this sounds like one of those "fornication under consent of the king" type urban legends

Yeah, seems you're right, it was debunked by Snopes.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Platystemon posted:

Australian culture broken down to its barest essentials

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Platystemon posted:

lmao

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

Absolutely. Just like the most important thing when writing rhyming verse is making sure it rhymes, with no thought for meter or scansion

Roses are red
But sugar is sweeter
The internet throws up its hands in apathy when confronted by the idea of meter

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Iamb amused by that post

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Phy posted:

Roses are red
But sugar is sweeter
The internet throws up its hands in apathy when confronted by the idea of meter

:negative:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

moonmazed posted:

Basically every single historical etymology that's supposedly based on an acronym is a lie. Acronyms only really came into common use after WW2

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sagebrush posted:

Basically every single historical etymology that's supposedly based on an acronym is a lie. Acronyms only really came into common use after WW2

Okay

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

i don't think i've heard anybody suggest an acronym-based folk etymology, maybe ever

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mescal posted:

i don't think i've heard anybody suggest an acronym-based folk etymology, maybe ever

Had one forwarded to me just the other day, saying that "military brat" came about because 200 years ago in the British Empire, soldiers' children were classed as British Regiment Auxiliary Travelers, and furthermore :words:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mescal posted:

Fornication Under Consent of the King

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Port Out Starboard Home, Ship High In Transit, To Insure Promptness, Westernized Oriental Gentleman, there are a ton and they're all wrong.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What about WithOut Papers? Or Fresh Off the Boat?

I am not entirely confident that some racial slur is not an acronym (even if I can't pinpoint which one)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Fresh Off the Boat?

It's that one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What about WithOut Papers? Or Fresh Off the Boat?

I am not entirely confident that some racial slur is not an acronym (even if I can't pinpoint which one)

"wop" comes from "guappo," Italian slang that corresponds roughly to modern usage of "pimp" or "player." A swaggering confident guy.

I've never heard of anyone calling someone a "fob," personally. I've seen the term FOB used, sure, but the way it's used makes clear that it's an acronym.

It's certainly possible that new slang terms are based on acronyms, because acronyms are popular today. It's the stuff that Phanatic mentioned, where old and well-established words like "tip" or "gently caress" are supposed to be an acronym for something, that is made up bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Yeah, anything from before the 1900s is almost certainly not from an acronym. I believe "Fob" is relatively recent, like well after the mid-1900s.