Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Remy Marathe posted:

I'm psyched- tomorrow I'm going to test ride and maybe buy this '20 Bonnie T120. It's listed on cycletrader at $10k, which seems like a fair price if it's really clean. The guy bought an extended warranty he says can be transferred for $75, but I don't think I'll bite on that.
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2020-Triumph-BONNEVILLE+T120-5019704290

From the things I've read and watched it sounds like it could be really fun for most of the weekend jaunts I have in mind, minus the narrower roads and switchbacks, and have that little extra...grunt? I think I'm after.

Sweet jesus that screen.

Looks like a pretty nice bike somewhere behind that main sail!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That luggage is classy AF.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Oh I'm gonna make it ugly, 'cause those bags will get in the way of the missus and that rack has to be traded for one that works with my top case.

e; Not sure about a windshield I can't see over though.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 12, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Sweet jesus that screen.

Looks like a pretty nice bike somewhere behind that main sail!

Now... what if you had little screens behind that, that you could slide out like studdingsails when you're running before the wind for extra speedfuel economy

I'm sure I could sell it to some wack rear end fogey with more money than sense

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Phy posted:

Now... what if you had little screens behind that, that you could slide out like studdingsails when you're running before the wind for extra speedfuel economy

They exist and are truly hideous.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Remy Marathe posted:

I'm psyched- tomorrow I'm going to test ride and maybe buy this '20 Bonnie T120. It's listed on cycletrader at $10k, which seems like a fair price if it's really clean. The guy bought an extended warranty he says can be transferred for $75, but I don't think I'll bite on that.
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2020-Triumph-BONNEVILLE+T120-5019704290

From the things I've read and watched it sounds like it could be really fun for most of the weekend jaunts I have in mind, minus the narrower roads and switchbacks, and have that little extra...grunt? I think I'm after.

Buy it and get the $75 extended warranty, it'll pay for itself.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

They exist and are truly hideous.

:mad:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Buy it and get the $75 extended warranty, it'll pay for itself.

For real or sarcasm? I've always taken dealer extended warranties for hard-to-use ways to bet against the likelihood that your new vehicle acts new. This is some "RPM Plus" Platinum business I haven't had a chance to read yet, but it covers it through 2025. If they give people grief over DIY oil changes or are a pain for small mechanic shops to use, I might have a hard time if I need to make a claim.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 12, 2022

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

OmniumOccidental posted:

Idk man, your experience differs from mine in every way.

Good luck.

Hopefully your next bike isn't hosed around by a PO.

lol except it's not? did you miss the part where i put 45 thousand miles on my first tuono? I dont know what your point is in all this, I am not new to rotax aprilia ownership

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Remy Marathe posted:

For real or sarcasm? I've always taken dealer extended warranties for hard-to-use ways to bet against the likelihood that your new vehicle acts new. This is some "RPM Plus" Platinum business I haven't had a chance to read yet, but it covers it through 2025. If they give people grief over DIY oil changes or are a pain for small mechanic shops to use, I might have a hard time if I need to make a claim.

For real, I'd say $75 for a $10k bike is a good deal in case something goes wrong, and it's a Triumph, so it's not bulletproof.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Extended warranties are kind of worthless because they will do their best to weasel their way out of it and do the barest minimum job if they're forced to honor it. But $75 is really not a lot of money compared to ten grand so even if you never use it it's not a big deal. Considering $75 is less than the cheapest non-consumable part for that bike.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Yeah I decided it'd be a dumb thing to cheap out on, though it looks like the paperwork will be a bit of hassle.

And I bought it! I love it. I'm sure I'll effortpost about it in the bike rec thread but not tonight.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I sold a bike and transferred over the extended warranty and service contract, and paperwork was indeed a huge pain, but most of it was on the seller's (me) side. I had to send over copies of all the original paperwork, a transfer request form with all the buyer's info, and a payment form for the fee it cost to transfer ($90 in that case, although it was the service plan too). It took like 3 months for the warranty company to finalize the transfer also, they don't seem to move quickly on these things, so possibly be prepared for that unless you or the seller get a more responsive company or have better luck calling and yelling at someone to push it through.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Remy Marathe posted:

Yeah I decided it'd be a dumb thing to cheap out on, though it looks like the paperwork will be a bit of hassle.

And I bought it! I love it. I'm sure I'll effortpost about it in the bike rec thread but not tonight.

Nice, congratulations! Post some more pics!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You're lugging around your living room on two wheels, the pane of glass on your front door's (i.e. the windscreens), the least of your aesthetic problems!

(nice 'wing, I'm sure I'll eventually get one when I'm older!*)

*however, not in brown

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

You're lugging around your living room on two wheels, the pane of glass on your front door's (i.e. the windscreens), the least of your aesthetic problems!

(nice 'wing, I'm sure I'll eventually get one when I'm older!*)

*however, not in brown

Lol you think that now

But a few years from now you'll realise brown and beige and tan need much less cleaning to look presentable, which is good cause your back hurts and the wife wants you to go to the shops

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Lol you think that now

But a few years from now you'll realise brown and beige and tan need much less cleaning to look presentable, which is good cause your back hurts and the wife wants you to go to the shops

I actually really like that 70s carpet brown that Oldwings come in, but *only* on Oldwings, it just suits them.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Lol you think that now

These are excellent points.

I mean, I like blacked out bikes right now (i.e. little chrome) since chrome is annoying to keep shiny, I can see myself thinking brown is easier to clean... drat it Slavvy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I actually really like that 70s carpet brown that Oldwings come in, but *only* on Oldwings, it just suits them.

I dunno, CB750 with a Windjammer looks pretty good in the same colors.

God what has become of me

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Poo brown is for old touring bikes, and old station wagons - not coincidentally, another popular dad vehicle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The correct chromatic nomenclature is “baby diarrhea” brown :colbert:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

PO turned out to be a nice retired guy with a handful of bikes, the T120 was just too tall for him; he must've had a 28" inseam or less as it fits me great at 29". He'd bought some shorter rear shocks with the intention of modifying it to suit him, but then thought better of it and decided to sell it. He'd already raised the bars a bit for a more upright position (I like it but don't have a comparison), He gave me the shocks, as well as an OEM Triumph windscreen in a box. He preferred the taller aftermarket windscreen you see installed and seemed almost confused that I might want a shorter screen. One of these weekends I'll test them back to back to decide which to keep, I can actually see over this one fine but it gets a little wiggly in the wind at highway speeds.

Below is getting the windscreen home from my buddy's house (we trucked it back from L.A.).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Empty post

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Gorgeous. Good work.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I saw this on Facebook and sent it to my brother that bought that snowmobile someone had grafted a 4 wheeler Frame under. Don't think he'll bite but this is the perfect investment to talk someone else into buying....

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

my turn in the barrel posted:

I saw this on Facebook and sent it to my brother that bought that snowmobile someone had grafted a 4 wheeler Frame under. Don't think he'll bite but this is the perfect investment to talk someone else into buying....

Lol I jokingly proposed exactly this with an RSV4 or similar as the back end as the perfect track car a few years ago.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is that a ZR750, or whatever Kawasaki’s Bandit clone is?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

my turn in the barrel posted:

The worst part of this is that is clearly a Suzuki.

He also doesn't know that these are already a thing, they are called drift trikes, you usually make them out of a 150cc scooter though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ok so it IS a Bandit?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I believe that is a gs500.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Something about the cut off bike in the back with this big tank pressed against the seat. All I can see is a bull pushing it headlong into a brick wall. Life imitates art, I guess.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I see one of those rocket sleds that they used to give test pilots concussions with in the 50s

I think Slavvy's right about the donor bike though, square tube frame, finned cylinders, the side covers look about the same. So not so much a rocket sled as the same thing but fitted with a really big rubber balloon where you let it go and it goes thbbbthtbbthtbthtbthbnthtthththtbbbbb.

Phy fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 15, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

This is what I would call wildly optimistic.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/d/san-rafael-72-triumph-bonnevile-5000-obo/7460758612.html

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

I always wonder how many ads are just, "look honey I put it up for sale like you asked, what more do you want me to do?"

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Oh, dear.

Somebody talk me out of buying this, hole in the fairing and all

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The swingarm being painted is a red flag visible from orbit

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

No it's more of a highlighter yellow

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

The swingarm being painted is a red flag visible from orbit

red flag that the PO has excellent taste. :yeshaha:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

maybe I should hold out for a Super Hawk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I love the F3 but they have a long ownership history at this point. That's closer to a $1500 bike and still somewhat risky at that price.

Um did someone paint the tire treads in teal?