Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There's gotta be a word or term for a movie idea that seems like it would be amazing, but the idea gets made, and it's terrible and a huge letdown.

Reign of Fire syndrome.

Who wants a movie about dragons versus tanks? Everyone? Yeah nah, get hosed. We're setting the movie 20 years after all the cool poo poo happens, there's only one tank, and it only shoots about twice in the entire film!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
One of the more frustrating things about Iron Fist was how they spend so much time just standing around talking about the time he punched out the still-beating heart of a dragon without ever actually showing it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Sum up a disappointing movie : Batman comes out of retirement to fight ninja clan terrorist leader hellbent on revenge and is left broken and exiled,will he escape and save his closest allies?

Reality : boring mumbley shite in a deserted boring city with a badguy and hero who both sound like scooby doo.

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009

Len posted:

I only half remember reading the books but I remember it as Elfangor just dropping in and saying 2 hours lol

I feel like the whole thought-speech thing covers that somewhat. He describes an amount of time, it's auto-translated because it's telepathic, and it just happens to line up with two hours on a human scale.

Also, Elfangor lived on Earth for decades so probably knew how best to quickly get the point across with human measurements if needed.

Really the more unlikely part is how precisely it lined up with Earth hours in the first place, but that's something you have to handwave on occasion.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There's gotta be a word or term for a movie idea that seems like it would be amazing, but the idea gets made, and it's terrible and a huge letdown.

The idea of a movie set in the pew pew future of the beginning of Terminator 2 is probably the biggest, most widely wished for example of this phenomenon.

It’s like getting Sucker Punched

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

oldpainless posted:

It’s like getting Sucker Punched

Sucker Punch is truly IIMM: The Movie. The movie goes out of its way to say "objectifying women is terrible" just before objectifying women. You can't play it both ways, Snyder!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I think the only time that really worked was FarScape.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The thing is about the terrible pewpew post-nuclear future of Terminator is that it was always presented like a nightmare to be avoided at all costs, of course it's gonna be a letdown unless you have an extra special vision for it.

'All the big cool poo poo already happened and this is the last gasp' is its own kind of disappointment possibly worse than 'We saved all of the cool poo poo people want to see for a sequel that'll never get made because the movie was boring as gently caress without it'.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cowslips Warren posted:

I want a prequel to Get Out. I want to see other people the family has hosed over and gotten away with.

That sounds amazing. I give it a go picture.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

El Fideo posted:

I think the only time that really worked was FarScape.

Farscape was just a whole bunch of stuff that shouldn't have worked jammed together which somehow added up to possibly the best sci-fi tv series yet made.

It's the anti-IIMM show.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing is about the terrible pewpew post-nuclear future of Terminator is that it was always presented like a nightmare to be avoided at all costs, of course it's gonna be a letdown unless you have an extra special vision for it.

'All the big cool poo poo already happened and this is the last gasp' is its own kind of disappointment possibly worse than 'We saved all of the cool poo poo people want to see for a sequel that'll never get made because the movie was boring as gently caress without it'.
Tell this to every boy who was between the ages of 6 and 19 in the early 90's, all of whom are still irrationally disappointed that that 3 minute sequence was never made into a full length movie.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Reign of Fire syndrome.

Who wants a movie about dragons versus tanks? Everyone? Yeah nah, get hosed. We're setting the movie 20 years after all the cool poo poo happens, there's only one tank, and it only shoots about twice in the entire film!

Yeah, the posters for that movie showed dragons fighting armies of Apache helicopters over London. There are no helicopters or airplanes in the movie at all.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

IshmaelZarkov posted:

My IIMM is when a trailer is so much better than a film that you feel like you've been lied to.

The Terminator Salvation trailer is clearly for one of the best damned action films ever made. Terminator Salvation was a textbook definition of wasted potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Czz-TcWCkA

Seriously, that trailer still gets me going.

I watched that trailer earlier tonight after listening to the NIN album the song is from (the Fragile)

Never saw the movie and I’ve never heard anything good about it but the trailer is great

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

SimonChris posted:

Yeah, the posters for that movie showed dragons fighting armies of Apache helicopters over London. There are no helicopters or airplanes in the movie at all.

There's one helicopter. That gets trashed pretty quickly I think. Also the good guys have this bizarre method of killing dragons which involves using a helicopter to hover very high up, then having dudes skydive out of it. They bait the dragon into chasing them in freefall and use a... Net gun I think? To Tangle it up so it dies in a fall.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Armacham posted:

Sounds like District 9
I mean, by way of X-Com. They are the rear end in a top hat locust aliens from ID1, not the Prawns.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The idea of a movie set in the pew pew future of the beginning of Terminator 2 is probably the biggest, most widely wished for example of this phenomenon.

I feel like Jurassic World fits. Dinosaurs running amuck in a fully operational park crowded with tourists?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Tommy Lee's penis prosthetic in Pam and Tommy looks kinda weird. Not just when it's talking there's just something wrong with that man's dick.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I feel like Jurassic World fits. Dinosaurs running amuck in a fully operational park crowded with tourists?

I'll throw Batman V Superman on that pile.

Might actually make a decent thread: Great Trailer/poo poo Movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

If you watch the theatrical cut maybe.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The lamest part of the whole thing was how little the operational park mattered. They had the one big set piece with the pterosaurs and tourists, and the rest of the scenes were either in exhibits or after the evacuation. That was also really the only time anything other than the "villain" dinosaur really mattered, while in the first movie the entire point was about the system breaking down.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Push El Burrito posted:

Tommy Lee Jones' penis prosthetic in Pam and Tommy looks kinda weird. Not just when it's talking there's just something wrong with that man's dick.

This is how I read it and boy howdy does that raise some questions.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

The big ones for me are:

Brightburn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6eB0JT1DI4
What if superman, but evil? So much great potential there, the trailer deliberate evokes shots from Man of Steel, and generally promises an escalating nightmare as these parents realise what a monster they've raised. But instead we get a really bland horror that plays much of its gore for laughs, and it just doesn't work. One review said "Brightburn is a great idea for a movie. Sadly, that's all it is".

Franklyn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoJHbE6HMWE
The trailer promises all sorts of parallel-reality shenanigans, but instead we got a slow, unfocused tale about PTSD and trauma. And the best line of the trailer ("the girl I was supposed to save, is running out of time") which suggests oodles of time-fuckery, doesn't exist in the movie, and has actually been spliced together from two different lines.

Prometheus:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFfhttZYoEw
The film at least delivers on what the teaser promises - people running round a spaceship screaming - but god drat if this isn't one of my favourite trailers. It's like a 1 minute panic attack, and rattled my nerves more than most horror movies.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Prometheus:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFfhttZYoEw
The film at least delivers on what the teaser promises - people running round a spaceship screaming - but god drat if this isn't one of my favourite trailers. It's like a 1 minute panic attack, and rattled my nerves more than most horror movies.

An aggravatingly awful movie with a sequel that manages to be even worse? Sign me up!

I've given up hope on having a 'horror' movie that doesn't just progress by characters being idiots.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kind of liked Brightburn and Franklyn. They weren't as good as they could have been but I had fun with both (kind of liked that Brightburn had a complete reversal of the villain ending stinger - the schoolgirl who's hand he crushed during Gym class getting a robot hand and looking vengeful is a funny twist on things - Brightburn has gotten himself a superHERO to confront his villainy) and I liked that Franklyn's subplots all came together to visually resemble that one famous painting of the American diner with the people in it. I thought that that was a cute visual thing. My dad watched it with me as I'd picked it up for his birthday not knowing anything about it and he had fun playing "Find the Alan Moore ripoffs/homages", so he enjoyed it too despite it's flaws.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DarkDobe posted:

An aggravatingly awful movie with a sequel that manages to be even worse? Sign me up!

I've given up hope on having a 'horror' movie that doesn't just progress by characters being idiots.

My Prometheus IIMM is that I saw it after years of hearing the internet talk about how bad it was and it was just okay.

Not really good but also not as bad as it was built up to be

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

I started watching the Snyder Justice League and hoo boy, there are a lot of little things (and big things - was the original movie so terrible that this was a massive improvement?). I guess my irrational irritation is, in additional to how many dramatic slow motion turns there are, when Batman goes to try to recruit Aquaman at the beginning, they do that thing where the villagers say something and everyone laughs at Batman, who ostensibly doesn't know what they're saying. It's just an annoying trope, where the one guy doesn't speak the local language, so the tough guy who's doing the translating says something, then the head villager laughs and all the villagers around laugh too. Anyways, terrible movie.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I remember how impressive the Dead Island trailer was at the time - I hadn't seen a trailer like that for a videogame before. The game was a bit whatever but the trailer had a lot of art to it at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ialZcLaI17Y

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm watching more Highlander and boy howdy does MacLeod's supporting cast become a revolving door in season 2. I actually think it's kind of a good idea that helps emphasize the isolation of immortals and add a tragic air to his character outside of the flashbacks.

But this 'comical' French neighbor character is so much worse than every other sidekick so far. I didn't think I would miss Ritchie's 90's 'tude so much, but jesus, this new guy is poison on screen.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

MNIMWA posted:

I started watching the Snyder Justice League and hoo boy, there are a lot of little things (and big things - was the original movie so terrible that this was a massive improvement?). I guess my irrational irritation is, in additional to how many dramatic slow motion turns there are, when Batman goes to try to recruit Aquaman at the beginning, they do that thing where the villagers say something and everyone laughs at Batman, who ostensibly doesn't know what they're saying. It's just an annoying trope, where the one guy doesn't speak the local language, so the tough guy who's doing the translating says something, then the head villager laughs and all the villagers around laugh too. Anyways, terrible movie.

Also Aquaman's attempt at Icelandic is so mangled that it's basically nonsensical gibberish.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Crowetron posted:

I'm watching more Highlander and boy howdy does MacLeod's supporting cast become a revolving door in season 2. I actually think it's kind of a good idea that helps emphasize the isolation of immortals and add a tragic air to his character outside of the flashbacks.

But this 'comical' French neighbor character is so much worse than every other sidekick so far. I didn't think I would miss Ritchie's 90's 'tude so much, but jesus, this new guy is poison on screen.

My problem with Highlander: The Series was I was constantly hoping that it didn't awaken anything in me. My Quickening, as it were. :sweatdrop:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

My problem with Highlander: The Series was I was constantly hoping that it didn't awaken anything in me. My Quickening, as it were. :sweatdrop:

It's a lot of good looking people wearing leather in Paris and swinging swords around. Unavoidable, imo.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

HopperUK posted:

I remember how impressive the Dead Island trailer was at the time - I hadn't seen a trailer like that for a videogame before. The game was a bit whatever but the trailer had a lot of art to it at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ialZcLaI17Y

Going from that emotional trailer to "Who Do You Voodoo, Bitch?" was quite a trip.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Watching The Nun and there's a character whose nickname is "Frenchie" because he is French Canadian. The actor is Belgian, however, and his French-Canadian accent is not even close! it doesn't even resemble a France-French accent, and at times he sounds almost australian. As a guy who works in Gatineau, I was disappointed that he didn't sound like a Quebecker

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

MNIMWA posted:

Watching The Nun and there's a character whose nickname is "Frenchie" because he is French Canadian. The actor is Belgian, however, and his French-Canadian accent is not even close! it doesn't even resemble a France-French accent, and at times he sounds almost australian. As a guy who works in Gatineau, I was disappointed that he didn't sound like a Quebecker

There was Dallas, from Phoenix; Cleveland - he was from Detroit; and Tex... well, I don't remember where Tex come from.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Only three IIMM on Train To Busan.

1. Seems to vary how fast you turn when bitten; the cheerleader turned within a minute max, the main dad got like 2-3 minutes of talking to his daughter before staggering away for another 2 minute flashback and then falling from the train before turning. Dear God I was so sick of the daughter crying and screaming, it seemed to last way too long. Now if he had turned and killed both daughter and the pregnant woman, I would have forgiven this IIMM for the realism of people loving around when they know they have seconds before they go nuts.

2. Why does no one shut the loving train doors once the first zombie gets up! Don't just run, close a loving door!

3. We never see the deer again. gently caress, I want to see zombie deer!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's probably been said, but The Guest is a good "what if super hero but evil" movie (Capt America in this case) and if you haven't seen it I'd recommend it as a Brightburn palate cleanser. great acting, tightly paced plot, and thr soundtrack rules.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Sally posted:

it's probably been said, but The Guest is a good "what if super hero but evil" movie (Capt America in this case) and if you haven't seen it I'd recommend it as a Brightburn palate cleanser. great acting, tightly paced plot, and thr soundtrack rules.

I liked this movie a lot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MNIMWA posted:

Even the people who have a frothing hateboner for Snyder all had to admit that it was a massive improvement over the theatrical cut, which wasn't helped by the replacement director having been revealed as a philandering sexual harasser, racist and abuser, and also happened to have cut all the nonwhite people from the movie as much as he possibly could.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I respect the Snyder cut of Justice League as it's the artist's unfiltered, complete vision. This means I there's no other excuse for why's it's bad and I can hate it with impunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I can't hate it...

Because there's no way I'm sitting through a four hour cut of a superhero movie unless the original vision for Superman is miraculously restored.