Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

we decided to move on from the fake stats and into the very real science of measuring "agility" on a scale of one to seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Budiansky also was the dude responsible for the stats on the back of G1 Transformers boxes, wasn’t he?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

Budiansky also was the dude responsible for the stats on the back of G1 Transformers boxes, wasn’t he?

He was. He mentions that in the article.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

glitchwraith posted:

He was. He mentions that in the article.

Thanks, I hadn’t read the article yet. Should have done that first.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

Thanks, I hadn’t read the article yet. Should have done that first.

No worries. I mentioned it only because that's the only reason I knew you where correct.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Is the Phoenix still Thor's mother or did everyone immediately ignore that?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Splint Chesthair posted:

He helped create a very large percentage of the G1 roster and wrote the comics for it's first couple years too, he's always been a little bemused at the ongoing popularity of Transformers and how it's fandom views him cause for him it was just a job

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Adnor posted:

Is the Phoenix still Thor's mother or did everyone immediately ignore that?

It's a Thing in Avengers as of last week.

E: I'm not sure anyone other than Aaron cares about it though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

rantmo posted:

E: I'm not sure anyone other than Aaron cares about it though.

Yeah, Cates just referenced him being Gaea's son recently with his rarely used Earth powers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was his role during empyre, which was 2020. the phoenix stuff came out of nowhere and will be either ignored or retconned as soon as anyone other than aaron decides to do anything with thor's mom again.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's kinda silly how hard Aaron is trying to force the concept in his book, like he absolutely knows just how unwanted and ultimately forgettable it is and so just tries all the harder to constantly ram it in no prep no lube no foreplay. The latest issue literally has a subplot where Thor is gonna, like, die unless he just accepts the super real no-take-backs turbo-truth that the Phoenix is his mother, which he just keeps stubbornly fighting against until he finally caves in and lets the Phoenix power into his heart or something.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
If a mod wants me to delete this I will, but in case anyone hasn’t seen it here’s Al Ewing’s current thread on Twitter where he talks about gender, identity and more. Worth a read: https://twitter.com/al_ewing/status/1506291584584794124?s=21

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nilbop posted:

If a mod wants me to delete this I will, but in case anyone hasn’t seen it here’s Al Ewing’s current thread on Twitter where he talks about gender, identity and more. Worth a read: https://twitter.com/al_ewing/status/1506291584584794124?s=21

What a goddamned legend. As if I wasn't already a fan of the man.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Interesting that he's another awesome comic writer who grew up in the UK during that period. Ellis wrote a bit in Planetary about it and I think Morrison has probably talked about it as well.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Harold Fjord posted:

Interesting that he's another awesome comic writer who grew up in the UK during that period. Ellis wrote a bit in Planetary about it and I think Morrison has probably talked about it as well.
It was a pretty big deal and on the books for nearly two decades! Section/Clause 28 was introduced in 1986, enacted in 1988, and in effect until 2000/2003 depending on where you lived. Alan Moore protested it/did a benefit comic to raise money to fight it, and effectively if you're a person in the UK over 40 you "grew up in the UK during that period".

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

A number of my older relatives grew up under Section 28 and I can confirm it was a dreadful time to be LGBTQ+. It was deeply isolating and led to a lot of arrested development for kids, teens, and even adults who weren't sure who they were because they had no LGBTQ+ representation in their lives. :(

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

glitchwraith posted:

The quotes a bit misleading out of context. It's referring to the win/loss percentage that was put on the cards before they began putting the power rankings, which where done mainly to appease the baseball card company helping produce the cards. When they switched to power rankings, they put in more work, starting with the guidebooks Gruenwald had written, and talking to the comic editors for newer characters.

To this day I occasionally scoff at Cap doing something and think "peak human my rear end" because of those.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

To this day I occasionally scoff at Cap doing something and think "peak human my rear end" because of those.

Didn't he get a significant strength boost sometime after the Ultimate line and the MCU films? I know both of those adaptations featured him doing blatantly super human feats of strength, so it wouldn't surprise me if that then got depicted in the 616 canon. To my knowledge the classic comics didn't have him doing anything too crazy, outside of impossible shield throws.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

There was a brief period in the 70s when Cap was superhumanly strong. I think it was an unintended reaction to some antidote he needed to take.

Ultimate Cap famously was able to jump out of an airplane without needing a parachute, which is something I can’t say I’ve ever seen 616 Cap do.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I want to say 616 Cap has jumped out of lower flying planes and broken his fall by landing on his shield but I couldn't cite a specific instance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
616 Cap did that in the post 9/11 series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

616 Cap did that in the post 9/11 series.

That's the one where he revealed his identity, right? A surprisingly thoughtful series when it would have been very easy to just turn 616 Cap into Ultimate Cap given the general national sentiment at the time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

glitchwraith posted:

Didn't he get a significant strength boost sometime after the Ultimate line and the MCU films? I know both of those adaptations featured him doing blatantly super human feats of strength, so it wouldn't surprise me if that then got depicted in the 616 canon. To my knowledge the classic comics didn't have him doing anything too crazy, outside of impossible shield throws.

Honestly 'peak human performance' has always been super variable in what it means, going from essentially being able to do gold medal level athletics all at once to 'eh, superhuman I guess.' Cap's big thing was always (at least I was under the impression it was) that the serum means he doesn't have a build up of lactic acid in his muscles so he doesn't get tired. Somebody with a basic knowledge of biology could tell me why this is wrong but eh, it works for comics.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Splint Chesthair posted:

Ultimate Cap famously was able to jump out of an airplane without needing a parachute, which is something I can’t say I’ve ever seen 616 Cap do.

He does that into water in Winter Soldier which I feel should still count

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

rantmo posted:

I want to say 616 Cap has jumped out of lower flying planes and broken his fall by landing on his shield but I couldn't cite a specific instance.

I can help you out. Just read an issue the other day:

Captain America #343 (Jul. 88) when he was The Captain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Since the Ridley series post 9/11 they've been putting a lot more emphasis on the Super aspect of Super Soldier. Peak human wasn't enough, he's now more in line with the MCU version.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

(From Secret Wars #4)

Has Hickman just always been obsessed about capes?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Hasn't most of the Mister Sinister Loves Capes stuff been from either Kieron Gillen's revamp of the character (which admittedly Hickman has said he loved and worked into his X-Men pitch) or from Zeb Wells in Hellions?

Which is to say, perhaps everyone is obsessed with capes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's a shame we'll never get to hear Jon Hamm expound on his desire to take someone's cape

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

Hasn't most of the Mister Sinister Loves Capes stuff been from either Kieron Gillen's revamp of the character (which admittedly Hickman has said he loved and worked into his X-Men pitch) or from Zeb Wells in Hellions?

Which is to say, perhaps everyone is obsessed with capes.

That and almost every single artist's depiction of him. Like, even if he doesn't enunciate it, tell me this is a picture of a man that doesn't have strong opinions on capes

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

That and almost every single artist's depiction of him. Like, even if he doesn't enunciate it, tell me this is a picture of a man that doesn't have strong opinions on capes

He loves capes, he loves fringes, he loves fringe capes.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Skwirl posted:

There’s no way this isn’t from the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Update ‘89.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I didn't really check out Giellen's revamp of Sinister's backstory, is the Sinister who is sitting on the Krakoan council the same version of Essex that ran the Marauders and stalked Cyclops for most of his life?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I didn't really check out Giellen's revamp of Sinister's backstory, is the Sinister who is sitting on the Krakoan council the same version of Essex that ran the Marauders and stalked Cyclops for most of his life?

Technically yes, just his characterization has changed a bunch. Still obsessed with mutant genetics though.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

GPTribefan posted:

There’s no way this isn’t from the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Update ‘89.

Pretty sure it is. In fact, I think that's the very first image of Sinister I'd ever seen

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I am vaguely irritated that Marvel Unlimited does not, in fact, have the Official Handbook or the '89 update.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dawgstar posted:

I am vaguely irritated that Marvel Unlimited does not, in fact, have the Official Handbook or the '89 update.

To be frank the fact that they don't have literally every comic they've ever published that wouldn't have rights issues up on there is an absolute joke considering the service has been around for about a decade now

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

This man clearly hates capes. I know this because he put his own cape through a paper shredder to make a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

GPTribefan posted:

It is, but oddly its a cleaned up crop of him from the cover of issue #5 rather than an image from his actual profile.

It's a really great cover with a motley crew of characters I like. You've got Sinister, Nanny, Orphan Maker, Meggan and Aunt May all hanging out together, and then you also have Harry Osborn, Sabretooth, and short-lived Steve Gerber character Poison. The issue also has one of the handful of clear shots of Walter Simonson's original Orphan Maker design where he has the proportions of a toddler and looks really freaky and unusual. I always thought it was a shame that his design quickly got flattened into a fairly generic cyborg guy.