Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
My power is out, so my wifi is down. No warning, just turned off at the main.

I'm chilling till a later meeting but I'm downgraded from presenter to fly-on-the-wall. A fly punching tons of cones, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Get the title on your resume as an internal lateral promotion. gently caress HR.

Nonexistent leverage to make it happen and already been denied. "Just put it on the resume" falls apart as soon as anyone asks.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

SkyeAuroline posted:

Nonexistent leverage to make it happen and already been denied. "Just put it on the resume" falls apart as soon as anyone asks.

Most companies are only going to confirm that you worked there and the dates. They usually won't confirm title or duties.

You have nothing to lose, you can even put in your cover letter that you were given the position without a commensurate raise or change of title as your reason for leaving.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yeah I dont think a single one of my jobs bothered calling any of my previous employers like ever.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

The financial beatings will continue until morale improves.

Unrelated: team lead position (that would have been very nice on a resume, as someone actively looking to leave and receiving next to zero acknowledgment and definitely 0 offers) was eliminated and 100% of its duties shifted to me, with none of the authority to actually make poo poo happen but retaining the responsibility for it going wrong. Great. I loving hate management.
Wish any of these applications would come back with a living wage. Only ones that reply to me want to pay low enough I can't swing rent, let alone anything else.

Write "Acting Team Lead" on your resume, and when asked about it say that your company refuses to make the promotion permanent and that's why you're leaving.

If you're doing the duties, you're "Acting" in the position, and even if there wasn't a grain of truth to it, lie your loving arse off and get out, it's not like companies ever behave honestly during hiring so why should you? I've been bouncing around jobs for 25 years and most of the time, no one verifies, no one cares, and the next place is equally stupid and lovely but pays a few cents more so go get some.

ed: lol, three people with the same advice.

seriously, job titles are not some international standard, they are literally invented from nothing by some dipshit who is considerably dumber than anyone on this forum. If you're doing the duties of a Team Lead, you are a Team Lead. Invent your own title then go live it.

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 21, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The job where I was the entire IT department for a smallish company had its pluses and minuses, but a fun little plus was having the owner's official permission to use any job title I wanted, as long as it was technology-flavored.

Most of the time I was just the humble Network Administrator, but our Dell and CDW reps knew me as the Technology Procurement Director. At a trade show I carried two little stacks of business cards, one saying I was VP of Technology and the other proclaiming me Senior Network Engineer, for if I was talking to management types or techies. And if I got a call from a salesman I wanted to get rid of, well gosh, I'm just a Level 1 Tech Support Representative, but I'll be sure to send your message along to the IT Director (which was, for the moment, the title I delegated to the trash can).

Amazingly, after the company went under, I still had the owner's permission to remain titlefluid when listing that job on my resume -- if contacted, he'd happily confirm that I was anything up to the CIO. I never actually used that power, though. For the positions I was applying for, plain old Network Administrator was my best bet anyway.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Thats pretty awesome actually.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

punching tons of cones

s...smoking weed?

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
I really wish we could change our interview process to get away from stupid filler questions like "Tell us about a time you were able to support your team by contributing as a team member who is a member of a team", and just ask people to write 1-2 paragraphs documenting a short conversation between them and another person. Our entry level positions require a four year degree but it still feels like half of our new hires are only semi-literate.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This isn't Dumb poo poo my work does but rather a dumb poo poo at my work.

We were opening an office so folk from other offices went along for a management meeting /office opening. There was a party afterwards and later we went to a pub, good times all round. I ended up taking to a guy who paid for himself to be at these meetings as 'he wanted to be in the room' so he already marked himself out as an idiot. But then he described his bosses boss (she's the head of her division, everyone knows who she is) as "the hot Asian lady". I just packed him off home in a taxi because jesus I hope he was just drunk.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

ClothHat posted:

I really wish we could change our interview process to get away from stupid filler questions like "Tell us about a time you were able to support your team by contributing as a team member who is a member of a team", and just ask people to write 1-2 paragraphs documenting a short conversation between them and another person. Our entry level positions require a four year degree but it still feels like half of our new hires are only semi-literate.

Is it IT? 'cause STEMlords are notoriously bad at writing things above a third grade level.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Aramoro posted:

paid for himself to be at these meetings

Naaaaaaaaaaaah

I refuse to believe this

I know you might think this is what he said, but you must have misheard

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i hope it's like "i used some of my personal training budget for this" or something

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

SkyeAuroline posted:

The financial beatings will continue until morale improves.

Unrelated: team lead position (that would have been very nice on a resume, as someone actively looking to leave and receiving next to zero acknowledgment and definitely 0 offers) was eliminated and 100% of its duties shifted to me, with none of the authority to actually make poo poo happen but retaining the responsibility for it going wrong. Great. I loving hate management.
Wish any of these applications would come back with a living wage. Only ones that reply to me want to pay low enough I can't swing rent, let alone anything else.

Yeah if you're leading the team youre a team lead. Resumes are just lies your own truth you tell people.

Look at it this way; if having 'team lead' doubles your hit rate with job apps but 50% of the hits actually check up on that you're still doing way better than not lying telling the truth.

E: lol beaten a half dozen times, the tribe has spoken.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 22, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I had a similar experience. I once accepted to replace someone as regional director. They refused to put regional director as my title, or pay me more, even though I was doing that role. I did all the work of a regional director for the number of months it took to get a new job that would compensate me appropriately and my new employers only comment on it was "they really tried to gently caress you, huh?"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Barudak posted:

I had a similar experience. I once accepted to replace someone as regional director. They refused to put regional director as my title, or pay me more, even though I was doing that role. I did all the work of a regional director for the number of months it took to get a new job that would compensate me appropriately and my new employers only comment on it was "they really tried to gently caress you, huh?"

Finish the story. How did the new employer try to gently caress you?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

Finish the story. How did the new employer try to gently caress you?

loving is still TBD other than making me continue to work.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Barudak posted:

Those bastards.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

gently caress a job, IMHO.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Dumb poo poo I did at work: I tripped on a chord stepping over a pipe behind the keg washer and overcorrected slamming my other foot down and basically axe kicked a corner of the keg washer with my thigh.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Barudak posted:

Goddamn monsters

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Dongsturm posted:

Invent your own title then go live it.

When I got my last promotion my boss texted me while I was high as tits on my day off and asked me what I wanted for a title so I am "Minister of the Rooftop"

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scientastic posted:

Naaaaaaaaaaaah

I refuse to believe this

I know you might think this is what he said, but you must have misheard

Oh no I know his trip wasn't paid for by the company. He wasn't authorised to use company uber, paid for his own hotel and travel. Just a tremendous dipshit all round. Over the 2 days there were maybe 4 sessions he could drop into and everything else was individual meetings to discuss OKRs etc so I don't knowwhat he did for 2 days.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

pile of brown posted:

When I got my last promotion my boss texted me while I was high as tits on my day off and asked me what I wanted for a title so I am "Minister of the Rooftop"

Have you been living it?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

This reminds me of a story from the /r/relationships thread.

quote:

I started working at my job eight months ago, not long after I completed college (thanks in part to your write-ups about cover letters, resumes, interview questions and job searching). A few months ago in the elevator, my manager’s manager and someone from upper management in another department were talking about an upcoming conference. The idea of the conference sounded interesting and at our next departmental meeting I asked my manager’s manager about being able to attend the conference. She said the company couldn’t send me to this conference.

I really wanted to go. This was for several reasons: (1) what I heard about the conference in the elevator sounded interesting, (2) I was trying to show initiative, and (3) It would be good for my career to attend something like that. I was bummed out about the company not being able to send me.

But a week later I was asked to assist someone from a different department. He had a broken foot and needed help carrying paperwork and laptops up to one of the meeting rooms on another floor. He told me he was swamped with trying to get everything ready for the meeting on top of signing up people for the conference and making all the arrangements. I offered to do all the conference so he could get the meeting set up.

I signed myself up for the conference along with everyone else. But I only signed up as an attendee from my company. I paid for the conference fee, the airline tickets, and the hotel room out of my own pocket. I didn’t charge anything to the company for myself, even though all of the other attendees had everything paid for using a company credit card. I also booked vacation time so I could go.

I was excited to go to the conference. But when my manager’s manager saw me there the first day, she was upset at seeing me there, even after I explained I had paid the sign-up fee and everything else out of my own pocket and had used my own vacation time. I admit now that I made a mistake because I didn’t know the conference was for directors and executive management in my industry, not for entry-level people with less than a year like me. My manager’s manager had to get special permission from the company to go because she isn’t a director yet but is next in line for a promotion when someone retires. After the conference organizers found out from my company that I am not in upper management, they asked me to leave and said my fee would be refunded.

I already paid for the hotel room and return flight, so I ended up staying there even though I couldn’t go to the conference. My first day back at work was my last one ever because I got fired. My manager’s manager was furious and so were her bosses. I know I messed up, but when I asked about going to the conference she didn’t say I couldn’t go; she only said the company couldn’t send me. I also had no idea it was a conference for upper management only. If I had known, I obviously would not have signed up, but she didn’t tell me and it wasn’t clear at registration.

I know I made a mistake and it was a huge embarrassment for the company when word of what I did got around the conference, but I never had any write-ups or trouble and I was a model employee. I don’t think it was a fireable offense and I was shocked they fired me. Did I mess up that badly or were they wrong? I want to know if there is anything I can do to fix this.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Neito posted:

Incredible. Quit the industry and move to another country level of shameful fuckup.

They were upset they were there because the conference was probably a 'how to gently caress your employees as hard as possible and embezzle the pension fund' networking event.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Barudak posted:

The incel new employee vs the chad lifer

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Dongsturm posted:

Have you been living it?

I'm the only person who works on the rooftop, so yeah, I guess

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Neito posted:

Lol my MegaCorp leadership is indifferent to a lot but threatening their status and embarrassing your manager by showing up to something like that would be noticed.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DreadUnknown posted:

Yeah I dont think a single one of my jobs bothered calling any of my previous employers like ever.

yeah as someone who is like two or three interviews deep with several companies right now despite all of my work experience literally being under a different name entirely i don't think most prospective employers are deep-diving hard enough to care at all about job titles rather than responsibilities and experience

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is it IT? 'cause STEMlords are notoriously bad at writing things above a third grade level.

No I'm in social services, I suspect it's an issue in just about every industry though.

Edit: Was just now auditing my staff's case notes and had to make a note to myself to remind this person not to use emoticons in their documentation. I feel very old.

ClothHat fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 22, 2022

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Rockman Reserve posted:

yeah as someone who is like two or three interviews deep with several companies right now despite all of my work experience literally being under a different name entirely i don't think most prospective employers are deep-diving hard enough to care at all about job titles rather than responsibilities and experience

My current job is with the same company, same division and the only contact between my new boss and my old one was New calling Old to tell him i had a new job. No one checks references even if it would take ten seconds.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Neito posted:

This is amazing. How can someone stomach posting this?

quote:

(3) It would be good for my career to attend something like that.

Narrator: It wasn’t

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

This is amazing. How can someone stomach posting this?

Narrator: It wasn’t

Because people are really dumb, in my story he paid for his own trip and described his bosses boss as a 'hot Asian lady' to her peers (she was also there but didn't hear) and thought he was furthering his career.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
I feel an odd burst of sympathy for this one. Companies drone on about showing initiative and taking on extra responsibilities. Watching the new hires learn that their real role in corporate life is to keep their seat warm is always slightly painful.

I've never goofed quite that hard, but I have joined a few Zoom meetings I wasn't invited to because Google shows me all my team mate's meetings and if I'm not paying attention to the colour codes, I think they're all my meetings.

Going to the wrong conference isn't really a huge mistake, it's only a thing because we know how petty and vindictive upset management is. I'd post it here, but framed as another "my company sucks" story.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

You’re supposed to be dumb and chase the carrot on a stick, but not SO dumb that you decide to use social engineering to book yourself as a company representative and then fly yourself out to the conference, not thinking that the people that told you not to go are going to see you there? Now you’re on record as willing to lie and cheat your way around the company, AND you’re unhinged.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm involved with a huge corporate office but sort of on the margins. It's pretty cushy because I have brewing experience in a country where that's pretty rare outside of people working in one of the big four mega breweries and this place is a restaurant management company with a ton of restaurants and bars in Osaka, but no real connections in the craft beer world. I managed to get this gig through an introduction from our equipment supplier, who I'm friendly with, when things started taking a bad turn at my previous gig and my boss was going mask off malignant narcissist.

It's been a real learning curve. Admittedly, I still have a fair amount of baggage from that place and another, so I have lashed out and gotten really worked up over things I perceived as unfixable issues, but this place pays me better than most and does listen, but Christ almighty the pace is glacial! One of the higher-ups has gotten more involved recently, in a positive way, so I've gone to him with questions a few times. I didn't think I was going over anyone's head, because I was just looking for some general feedback, but I've been told I need to go through other people below him, or vet questions with them before asking him. Same when I've asked questions in the group chat because the even bigger boss is on that. Also getting approval for some equipment that's maybe a bit more than we need now, but will be necessary for when production ramps up, only to later be told I need to list a bunch of reasons it's needed and then getting help from a middle manager who's slightly unsure of what they mean by certain questions. It's a really confusing structure for me to navigate. They usually do listen to me in the end but the whole process is just so loving confusing and frustrating for me even without the language barrier.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 23, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Dongsturm posted:

I feel an odd burst of sympathy for this one. Companies drone on about showing initiative and taking on extra responsibilities. Watching the new hires learn that their real role in corporate life is to keep their seat warm is always slightly painful.

I hear this one all the time. "Yeah we want initiative and passion", but leave no real room for actual initiative. Is it because it sounds good to be a company which values Thing?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

keithy george posted:

You’re supposed to be dumb and chase the carrot on a stick, but not SO dumb that you decide to use social engineering to book yourself as a company representative and then fly yourself out to the conference, not thinking that the people that told you not to go are going to see you there? Now you’re on record as willing to lie and cheat your way around the company, AND you’re unhinged.

Let's be fair, that sounds like executive material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

champagne posting posted:

I hear this one all the time. "Yeah we want initiative and passion", but leave no real room for actual initiative. Is it because it sounds good to be a company which values Thing?

they want initiative (to do more work) and passion (to stay late and do more work) (so they get more work done without paying people more)