Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GramCracker posted:

too much garlic….if that’s even a thing :ohdear:

It’s not a thing. You’re safe here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

HolHorsejob posted:

oh god, those machines might as well be purpose-made to send you to the ER for stitches.

Invest like $5 in some protective gloves and you have way better control of your ingredients than using the stupid little "holder" thingy that comes with most cheaper mandolins.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well, how crazy do you want to get with this?

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-pizza-lab-why-does-pepperoni-curl

I remember seeing some theory also about leanness affecting cupping, but I cannot recall which way it went.

Anyways, one reason to consider slicing your own if you cannot source slices locally is that you can make an online order. The good stuff does not need to be refrigerated and is amenable to shipping.

For the record, I have had to get non-cupping here since my wife prefers flat pepperoni. Such is life.

I imagine fat matters there, with rendering leading to shrinkage that'll cup combined with a casing.

So casing is super important I think is the story.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Local stores carry presliced Boars Head for the same $/oz as the stick, so consider this gnat strained :smug:

got some dough prepping for a test pizza tomorrow.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

blixa posted:

Invest like $5 in some protective gloves and you have way better control of your ingredients than using the stupid little "holder" thingy that comes with most cheaper mandolins.

I just don’t cut the end of things on the mandoline. I’ll throw away an inch of potato or whatever, it’s easy.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Chemmy posted:

I just don’t cut the end of things on the mandoline. I’ll throw away an inch of potato or whatever, it’s easy.

I've slipped and sliced parts of my thumb too many times on super sharp cheese graters that I just wear one every time now. Mandolin, depends on what I'm slicing tbh.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Anyone have an especially good white sauce? I'm making duck confit and I was thinking of setting aside some for a pizza. I do a thin-crust kinda deal, and was thinking something like a creamy garlic white sauce, mozzarella, a few duck morsels, some kind of fresh herb, and a light brushing of olive oil cut with duck fat.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

HolHorsejob posted:

Anyone have an especially good white sauce? I'm making duck confit and I was thinking of setting aside some for a pizza. I do a thin-crust kinda deal, and was thinking something like a creamy garlic white sauce, mozzarella, a few duck morsels, some kind of fresh herb, and a light brushing of olive oil cut with duck fat.

My wife has been loving with a goat cheese bechemel for a pizza she’s been developing, and it slaps real hard. Funky but smooth, parm and garlic along for the ride.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Chemmy posted:

My mandolin’s guard rides in grooves on the shoulder of the mandolin and you can get pretty much everything but the very last slice through it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

HolHorsejob posted:

I don't know about especially good, but a pretty standard approach is to lightly fry garlic in olive oil, add some white wine and simmer until the alcohol has boiled off, then stir inn crème fraiche and season with salt, pepper and herbs of your choice.

I like using ricotta and buffalo mozzarella on white pizza.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I thought white sauce was just alfredo sauce. Granted, there is still variation there. I use a bechemel base (flour + butter + milk) because I think it firms up and browns better when baking. I don't have precise directions.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Had a fun pizza night with friends over the weekend, and all the pizzas came out well. I'm slowly getting a technique that is more reliable and is giving me results I am happier with. But still need more practice!

Also made some more of the olive oil/salt/rosemary bread appetizers from the extra dough, they went over well too.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

bolind posted:

which type is good? They had "Pizzeria" and "Nuvola".

Both are commercial pizza flours, so high temp and high-to moderate hydration. Given what and how you're cooking they'll both be fine. The difference is mainly that Nuvola is caputo's attempt to give you the 'pure' neapolitan canotto style pizza easier. That means it should hold up better at very high heat and very high hydration which you need to puff up the crust a ridiculous amount. Like the name says it's like eating a cloud.

To be honest, if the nuvola is more expensive I'd go for the plain pizzeria - I don't have a problem making super light and puffy crusts with it as-is

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I made this "Armenian" pizza the other night and I can't say I loved it. The lamb sausage had tomato paste and aci biber salcasi which didn't do any favors for the texture or flavor of the lamb, and the cheese had a slight gamey-ness that I wasn't crazy about. All in all it just didn't come together. Maybe I'll try it again with some tweaks.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

time for some PEPPERONI OPINIONS from my wife and I. This is for NY style, cooked on steel in a 550F kitchen oven.

6. Armour
Weak all around.

5. Hormel
Noticeably greasy and poor flavor.

4. Hormel Cup and Crisp
It cups, it crisps... it still has the grease and flavor problems of the regular version.

3. Bridgford
Excessively seasoned. Overpowering salt and spice. Good in small amounts.

2. Boar's Head
Decent but not as good as #1.

1. Great Value
Walmart wins for us, hands down. Best flavor and texture; the price and availability are just bonuses. It doesn't really cup but it does crisp.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

time for some PEPPERONI OPINIONS from my wife and I. This is for NY style, cooked on steel in a 550F kitchen oven.

6. Armour
Weak all around.

5. Hormel
Noticeably greasy and poor flavor.

4. Hormel Cup and Crisp
It cups, it crisps... it still has the grease and flavor problems of the regular version.

3. Bridgford
Excessively seasoned. Overpowering salt and spice. Good in small amounts.

2. Boar's Head
Decent but not as good as #1.

1. Great Value
Walmart wins for us, hands down. Best flavor and texture; the price and availability are just bonuses. It doesn't really cup but it does crisp.

We've been using a brand called https://liguriafoods.com/products/specialty-pepperoni/, they've got a lot of different cuts and styles pepperoni - we're on the curl and crisp right now, been liking it a lot.

Made a pepperoni and jalapeno NY style this morning. loving solid pie.

Also, Pizza Expo was fun but exhausting and tonight is the first night free and off, ate a poo poo load of Thai food and am enjoying some couch time.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Anyone care to share any success stories with sausage? My attempts have never managed to match even the chain sausage topping that's inexplicably not sold anywhere outside of restaurant supply.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Usually I like to do a tavern style so it is more rigid around the hole I cut in the middle.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Usually I like to do a tavern style so it is more rigid around the hole I cut in the middle.

Lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

When I do sausage I cook patties and cut them into large chunks, I feel like it works out a lot better than cooking it as loose ground meat

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Lmao

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

It is... that night again.

I am still at a loss for how to prevent my dough from sticking to the peel by the time I'm ready to throw it onto the stone. I give it a generous helping of semolina and I make sure it can slide around before I put on sauce & toppings. However, in the 30-45 seconds it takes for me to put on toppings, it invariably sticks enough that I end up shaking cheese/toppings off it as I try to shimmy it onto the stone.

What's a pizza chef to do?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

HolHorsejob posted:

It is... that night again.

I am still at a loss for how to prevent my dough from sticking to the peel by the time I'm ready to throw it onto the stone. I give it a generous helping of semolina and I make sure it can slide around before I put on sauce & toppings. However, in the 30-45 seconds it takes for me to put on toppings, it invariably sticks enough that I end up shaking cheese/toppings off it as I try to shimmy it onto the stone.

What's a pizza chef to do?

Could be a few things. If though dough is too sticky (and you don't want to reduce the dough's hydration) it might be overfermented. Do you often get holes/tears in the dough when you're shaping it?

Usually I'll put the entire doughball into a pile of flour before shaping, then move to a different surface for stretching. I don't put a huge amount of flour on the peel (just using regular bread flour though not semolina) but I give it a quick dusting/wiping with my hand so it's all over the peel.

It's less likely but your peel might be too warm (especially if it's a steel/aluminium). I usually keep it away from the oven so that it doesnt heat up too much, or use a wooden peel for the initial transfer. I usually give it a quick shake every between every topping I add

KRILLIN IN THE NAME fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 1, 2022

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah if you're not using a wooden peel for loading, try that. Also, if you're already sticking after adding your sauce and toppings, take breaks in the middle of topping to test to see if it's still sliding. E.g., add your sauce > pickup peel & slide > add cheese > pickup peel & slide > add toppings > pickup peel & slide (as a test rather than going straight to loading onto the stone). If at any point it's at all grabby when you shimmy the peel to slide it, stop and try to get some more flour under it until it's sliding again.

I also haven't use semolina, I usually just use AP or whatever flour I used for the dough (usually 00), but I doubt that's making much of a difference.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I use semolina on a steel peel, and I use flour during stretching to take care of the really sticky parts. Then I shake a bit as I load up the pizza, and use a spatula under stubborn places.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

it might be overfermented. Do you often get holes/tears in the dough when you're shaping it?
Not the OP, but I do sometimes struggle with dough getting holes in it when stretching out. Likely over fermented then, I take it? It’s definitely not like it’s too taut and tearing, just kinda not holding together once it gets a little on the thin side.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Just threw first pizza in. It's likely overfermented, it's at 10 days in the fridge I think. I gave the doughball a ton of semolina, and had problems with it tearing. It was a difficult-to-manage mess, but hopefully will come out tasty at least. Next one gets floured I guess.

Peel is aluminum, and is hard to keep from getting to countertop temperature. I have a wooden one I use mostly for serving (it gets hot after the first pizza).

e: second one is tasty, but keeping it from sticking required an enormous amount of semolina (a tbsp or two on a single doughball), and it ended up dustier than I would have liked

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 1, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got frustrated enough by pies that failed to launch that I got that pizza conveyer peel and haven’t looked back. No ruined pies since then.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Honestly I just started using parchment paper and have never looked back. There are so many other elements to improve on that I'll deal with launching once everything else is nailed down.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I've never seen a recipe that recommends up to 10 days in the fridge. That seems like a lot of fermenting.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

I added semolina, and also started doing the grab-and-drag method where I put all the toppings on while the dough is on the counter, then drag it to the peel. Then I do a rough re-shape and make sure everything can still "shake" on the peel as I take it to the oven. This has solved almost all of my launching problems.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Can we post pies we get from pizza places ITT? A local joint by me does a Thursday Special pie each week. This weeks was squid ink sourdough crust, house made mozz, smoked brisket, bacon, salsa verde, scallions, onions, fresno chiles, and some sort of light tangy bbq sauce on top. It was amazing.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ve got no problem launching pies. The problem is making a 15” pie and trying to launch it correctly on a 16” peel. Rarely do I get it right, but usually I’m only off by a half inch or so and I try and fix that later after it’s been cooking for a minute.

However last week I pushed too hard and I ended up having a calzone kinda thing for my second pie…still good, but defeating.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

GramCracker posted:

Can we post pies we get from pizza places ITT? A local joint by me does a Thursday Special pie each week. This weeks was squid ink sourdough crust, house made mozz, smoked brisket, bacon, salsa verde, scallions, onions, fresno chiles, and some sort of light tangy bbq sauce on top. It was amazing.

looks good as hell, they should use black garlic in it :D

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

nwin posted:

However last week I pushed too hard and I ended up having a calzone kinda thing for my second pie…still good, but defeating.

I've been much more consistent thinking about it more like bringing the tip of the peel to where on the stone I want the pizza to go, then pulling the peel out from under the pie (still requires a mini launch motion to get the pizza to start to slide), rather than trying to push the pie in. Easier said than done in a low clearance oven like an Ooni 12, but a very reliable approach for a home oven.

My most interesting launch in recent memory was putting a raw egg on as a topping, sending it a bit to hard on the launch, causing the egg to slide completely off the top of the pizza onto the Ooni 12's burner. Haven't tried an egg in the Ooni again since then, but I"m thinking it might be best to add it post launch when it's ready to start being turned.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Testing square pies, did a Sicilian meets a Detroit kinda thing. Next time gonna up the hydration on the dough.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

ogopogo posted:

Testing square pies, did a Sicilian meets a Detroit kinda thing. Next time gonna up the hydration on the dough.

Looks like poo poo

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

ogopogo posted:

g-g-g-goddaaaamn

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

No one will eat that. I could be convinced to dispose of it for you for free because I'm a nice and charitable person

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Went on a canotto binge. This is proof you can make insane canotto Pizzas using standard blue caputo pizzeria in case anyone cared. The cornicione on these is about 3' high.

Tuna caper and onion

Broccoli, Gorgonzola and Mozz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

StarkingBarfish posted:

Went on a canotto binge. This is proof you can make insane canotto Pizzas using standard blue caputo pizzeria in case anyone cared. The cornicione on these is about 3' high.

Tuna caper and onion

Broccoli, Gorgonzola and Mozz

Those look loving awesome and canotto is always fun to do. I always found it much more a function of how you proof and open your dough versus a specific flour to achieve the corniccione, very cool to see your results and definitely eyeballing that broccoli Gorgonzola bad boy.