Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Aww poo poo, here we gwent again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I don't know enough about game engines, is that an actual upgrade? I always see people complaining about microstutter and pop in in UE games, but maybe thats just a game development problem in general

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I don't know enough about game engines, is that an actual upgrade? I always see people complaining about microstutter and pop in in UE games, but maybe thats just a game development problem in general

UE5 definitely has some next-generation tools that could help the new Witcher game look more photorealistic, which REDengine doesn't have. Whether the positives outweigh he negatives I'm not sure, but I'm guessing they do based on the simple fact that they chose EU5 over their own engine.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm always surprised when I hear someone chose UE over Unity. Unity is just so much easier to work with. It's a lot easier to train new hires on either of the industry standard engines (sorry Godot) over some homebrew engine. A lot of developers have at least some experience with them already.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

LLSix posted:

I'm always surprised when I hear someone chose UE over Unity. Unity is just so much easier to work with. It's a lot easier to train new hires on either of the industry standard engines (sorry Godot) over some homebrew engine. A lot of developers have at least some experience with them already.

From what I understand it's mostly that UE is basically THE choice for high quality graphics and photorealism in games. If that's not what you need, Unity or some other engine is often the choice. That's probably a dumb oversimplification from a dumb person but take it as you will

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm guessing it'll star Ciri but the fact is, I haven't wanted another Witcher game since the 3rd ended. It was a perfect cap to the series (that got even further perfected with the DLC) and I'd rather they keep doing new stuff.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 21, 2022

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Mordja posted:

I'm guessing it'll star Ciri but the fact is, I haven't wanted another Witcher game since the 3rd ended. It was a perfect end to the series (that got further even further perfected with the DLC) and I'd rather they keep doing new stuff.

After Cyberpunk I'm leery as hell, but like you said, the game was great and made even better by the DLC. Maybe the next one will continue the trend.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

LLSix posted:

Can Unity scale up to the kind of dense open world environments seen in Cyberpunk and presumably TW4? That feels like the domain of Unreal Engine to me

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mordja posted:

I'm guessing it'll star Ciri but the fact is, I haven't wanted another Witcher game since the 3rd ended. It was a perfect cap to the series (that got further even further perfected with the DLC) and I'd rather they keep doing new stuff.

Witcher 4 with Geralt would just be a loving downer. That story is over and done with pretty much a perfect ending.

There's a lot of potential for a series set in the past, when Witchers were abundant and there was a lot more magic/monsters roaming in general.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Maybe set it in an area we haven't seen a lot of yet. A Viper school witcher in old nilfgaard or something

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Serephina posted:

Tunic is a Souls-like since it has five letters in it's name!!!

There other games, holy cow.

Your character is nimble, can take a lot of hits, and kill screenloads of enemies with consumables if you're willing to spend a dime. I'd call it's combat an exact rubber stamp of 2d Zelda except that it has a roll which you can't do until you've finished your attack animation. Pretty sure the 3d Zeldas had a roll too...

The Fez comparison is fair as the puzzles really do channel its 'unexplained but fair' vibe. Spoilers: game gets less cutesy later on.

I was also thinking about the world exploration with unlocking shortcuts, the bonfires, and the way there's no straight narrative. It felt very souls-y to me in those apects and seemed like a useful shorthand, especially since that was the question being asked.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

game engines are just a framework, there is nothing inheritely bad or wrong in using your own or a middleware. This is probably a business decision too as using Unreal comes with a lot of knowledge power, large developer community and many ressources. It also states directly that it extends beyond licensing the UE for TW4, so I guess overall this might be a good thing. Makes hiring and onboarding new devs easier too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Plus it's possible that REDengine has been rendered into spaghetti in the scramble to fix CP2077, and they've decided to cut their losses rather than go through the process of cleaning it up

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
For being on a v1.5 patch my CP2077 is still pretty visually buggy so I'd believe that.

About 70% of the time, at night, when I'd close the map, the entire sky would light up and slowly darken back down over the next 10-15 seconds, for example. Like what?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

repiv posted:

Can Unity scale up to the kind of dense open world environments seen in Cyberpunk and presumably TW4? That feels like the domain of Unreal Engine to me
There's a few odd Unity games with 1st or 3rd person lots of Graphics, ex. Escape from Tarkov, Ghost of a Tale. No technical reason it can't do something to CDPR's fidelity standards.

While the OP correctly points out there's lots of people who can use Unity between indie dev and modding, a lots of Graphics game doesn't need a lot of people. They need a few experienced people working in tools that are either instantly useful or at least familiar to them. While Unity has been desperately trying to get their graphics pipeline better, its not winning popularity rewards with the few people working toward lots of Graphics.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

repiv posted:

Plus it's possible that REDengine has been rendered into spaghetti in the scramble to fix CP2077, and they've decided to cut their losses rather than go through the process of cleaning it up

One of my favorite comments came from a unknown CDPR dev asking about Cp2077 and said "why the gently caress are we trying to do what Rockstar does when we have 500 people and they have 5000?"

Also, the car driving is and always has been screaming hot trash in the game, so it's not like they can use it to make another open world driving/FPS unless it's more Deus Ex level hubs. Which would actually be a massive improvement as getting the double-jump legs pretty much turned it into a different and vastly superior game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I don’t want another game about Geralt - his story wrapped up perfectly - but I’m kind of skeptical of how a non-Geralt Witcher game would go over, unless it’s Ciri, and I don’t really want that that either. But I’m still looking forward to whatever it is because I love that world.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I’d be fine with direct book adaptations, if they go back to Geralt. Maybe a Witcher 1 remake. Otherwise, I wouldn’t mind Witcher’s Dogma.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
No one freaking out that the use of UE must mean epic exclusivity?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No, because I don't care they don't have a shopping cart, or reviews, or forums.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Waste of Breath posted:

Enough people did on Twitter that they denied it. Tons of games use UE so idk why people are suddenly worried about this one. Plus unless they’re just going to close down GOG I can’t imagine them making their own game exclusive to another platform.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Waste of Breath posted:

:confused:
Because it doesn't?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They denied it will be exclusive to a single store but the wording didn't rule out it only being on GOG and EGS

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Witcher 4 confirmed for Vita exclusive

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

DO4M graphics lead programmer "feels" a mistake here but idk, not really convincing.

https://twitter.com/axelgneiting/status/1505949085961900035?s=20&t=3TeN6x0aNDSO1i5AixKwCw

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i will be ciri and i will go buck wild on every farm boy himbo i meet

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

X-Morph: Defense + European Assault, Survival of the Fittest, and Last Bastion DLC

IDVNL-6RQAK-BRXCI

Broken Age

FP8MI-AIYAB-QMGBF

This War of Mine, Yoku's Island Express, and Endless Space 2 remain for any poster who has not yet PMed me already.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 21, 2022

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Inspector Gesicht posted:

X-Morph: Defense + European Assault, Survival of the Fittest, and Last Bastion DLC

IDVNL-6RQAK-BRXCI

Nabbed this one, cheers!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Protocol7 posted:

For being on a v1.5 patch my CP2077 is still pretty visually buggy so I'd believe that.

About 70% of the time, at night, when I'd close the map, the entire sky would light up and slowly darken back down over the next 10-15 seconds, for example. Like what?

The sky over the port was the color of s monitor, attached to a dying graphics card

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Waste of Breath posted:

Since when?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Them using Unreal engine doesn't imply anything but them emphasizing their strategic partnership with Epic may do

https://thewitcher.com/en/news/42167/a-new-saga-begins

We'll see, in 8 years when TW4 actually comes out

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they already confirmed on twitter that they wouldn't be locked to a single storefront

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah, but as I said a few posts up they didn't rule out it only being on GOG and EGS

Like how Ubisoft games are only on Uplay and EGS now

I don't care that much about whether games are on Steam, just saying it might not be on Steam for those who do

Play
Apr 25, 2006

GOG is way better than Steam anyways. That also means it will be DRM-free.

Plus it's not a launcher you have to start, you just start it directly from your desktop or the game folder making it superior to a steam game.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

haldolium posted:

DO4M graphics lead programmer "feels" a mistake here but idk, not really convincing.

https://twitter.com/axelgneiting/status/1505949085961900035?s=20&t=3TeN6x0aNDSO1i5AixKwCw

What is do4m?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Play posted:

GOG is way better than Steam anyways. That also means it will be DRM-free.

Plus it's not a launcher you have to start, you just start it directly from your desktop or the game folder making it superior to a steam game.

You have to use GOG Galaxy for multiplayer games.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

pentyne posted:

Witcher 4 with Geralt would just be a loving downer. That story is over and done with pretty much a perfect ending.

There's a lot of potential for a series set in the past, when Witchers were abundant and there was a lot more magic/monsters roaming in general.

A Witcher game set set back when Witchers were just being made by sorcerers to fight the heavily monster dense wildness is my guess too.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Hasn’t Epic said they’re transitioning more towards their publishing business anyway? Out of (mostly older ports of) Square games I feel like it’s been awhile since they did exclusivity on anything big. And never anything nearly as big as a Witcher game would be.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Wiltsghost posted:

What is do4m?
DOAM, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

It's short for Dough Form, a first person breadmaking game.