Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Infinitum posted:

Edit: It's together, but it was not a happy process. Going to guess we'll be seeing a bunch of complaints. I've got the Ghost Pirate Ship bonus tower as well, so might see how that goes.

Bonus - Love ripping the cardboard on my brand new boardgame because it wasn't punched out properly.

Ouch, this sounds awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Bonus - Love ripping the cardboard on my brand new boardgame because it wasn't punched out properly.

I hate having to punch stuff out for this exact reason

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Eyes Have It posted:

Dang, I had no idea it wasn't out yet. I remember people talking about playing it -- but it's not my thing so I didn't pay much attention and just sort of assumed it was out.

What's the hold up? Licensing of some kind? Management fail? Something weirder and/or stupider?

I'm going to assume that's directed at me?

Blood on the Clocktower (BotC) has suffered delays from three sources:
  1. Standard "new to mass production of board games" delays that everybody who with any Kickstarter experience saw coming a mile away, no hard feelings
  2. The team's desire to make a perfectly balanced game. They've definitely let the perfect be the enemy of the good here, and pissed off a lot of backers.
  3. The team's desire to make perfect physical components, involving a lot of back-and-forth with the team at Panda (?) in China. This has also pissed off a lot of backers.

However, it's been available for Print-n-Play basically since the Kickstarter and they keep updating the digital tools and the PnP materials. Backers have reasons to criticize them, but their communication has been very frequent for almost three years.

And having run the game using PnP materials, I can attest the important of #3; as the host you really, really want the physical components to be perfect and get out of your way.

The game is currently being manufactured, here's their most recent update:

quote:

Hello everyone,

I’m afraid we’ve had some exasperating news. The Chinese government has locked down the area in which Blood on the Clocktower was being assembled, literally two days before it was due to be completed (locked down on the 14th [ed: of March], was due to finish assembly on the 16th). I’ll reproduce the email below, in its entirety, as we received it:

Unfortunately our factory has been ordered to close by the local government, and we are set to re-open on March 21st. We are optimistic that our factory will reopen on March 21st; the reason for closing all non-essential businesses is due to the daily Covid cases rising to 86 in Shenzhen - Shenzhen has a population of 17.5 million people. I hope we can both agree that making sure the Panda staff working out of Shenzhen, and keeping the people of Shenzhen safe, is very important.

This does mean a delay, we were in the final 2 days of assembly before we had to close - I will assume the majority of goods are ready for shipping preparations - I won’t be able to confirm the actual delay until our team is back in the factory.

I think we can all agree that none of us would like to jeopardise the safety of Panda’s employees. Furthermore, even if we did, we have absolutely no say in the matter and no control over what regulations the Chinese government enforces.

On a positive note, it seems quite likely that the delay will only be a week. Assuming this is the case, it is likely to have a very minimal effect on the delivery timeline. We will update you all as soon as we know anything substantial.

They're currently still expecting it to hit the US distributors in June and then make its way from there. I'm patient and I expect I will be a satisfied customer when the game arrives.

My wife and I hosted a Blood on the Clocktower party for 11 people on February 29, 2020. It was our last social event before Covid sent us into hiding, the last time we saw our friends for over a year. That might inform why we still talk about the game, but the game loving owns. We played two games, and the people who played still text me (as recently as two weeks ago, looking at my phone) referencing the games we played. It was pretty magical.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Looking at the roles they’ve made for what is essentially a home brew Werewolf variant there’s no way in hell that game will ever be balanced lol. It’s just lolrandom to the max in a way that makes the later One Night Ultimate line look tight.

That’s not inherently bad but trying to balance something designed to be an unbalanced mess shows poor instincts and a lack of understanding of their own game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

Looking at the roles they’ve made for what is essentially a home brew Werewolf variant there’s no way in hell that game will ever be balanced lol. It’s just lolrandom to the max in a way that makes the later One Night Ultimate line look tight.

That’s not inherently bad but trying to balance something designed to be an unbalanced mess shows poor instincts and a lack of understanding of their own game.

Yeah, I think that viewpoint is wrong. A lot of people underestimate the importance the game places on the narrator being able to get involved. It's not a perfect logic puzzle the way Werewolf is, it's very much its own beast.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

I can understand why they're so focused on getting the components right, when SU&SD reviewed it the physical bits were something they absolutely gushed over and that sets a high standard.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm going to assume that's directed at me?

Thanks for taking the time to share those details, I'm not in the loop but still curious. And I'm also just in general interested in production, etc issues and like learning about how it goes for different projects.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well speaking from personal experience with a very simple production of a deck of cards I now have a lot more sympathy for complicated projects that include anything beyond that.

My original printer waited a month to tell me my order would actually be moved oversees which would also cost a lot more money and time for delivery. So I found a different domestic supplier and they quoted me 2 weeks, then a few days before that date they said oops we read the date wrong, it'll actually be 6 weeks.

Then Quartermaster Logistics (CSI's fulfillment business) takes at least a week to respond to emails and isn't very helpful in any step of the process. Maybe they can do international fulfillment, maybe they can't, but they sure as hell can't give me an answer. :v:

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

BotC also bascially decided to completely redesign all of the graphics from their prototype versions. I don't know all the reasons; I believe some were stated up front ("These are placeholders; we'll polish them up a bit"), some were because an artist flaked out on them at some point in the process requiring a restart, and some were just "Hey, we have all this money now, let's pay some real artists to make it pretty."

I'm torn between thinking it was a waste of a lot of time when the versions that existed before as prototypes were serviceable, but also really impressed with how everything finally looks. Like, I know there's more to it than just "Werewolf clone", but unless you're like a social deduction connoisseur, that's what it is, and so their differentiation is going to be the appearance, and my goodness is it gorgeous.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

CellBlock posted:

BotC also bascially decided to completely redesign all of the graphics from their prototype versions. I don't know all the reasons; I believe some were stated up front ("These are placeholders; we'll polish them up a bit"), some were because an artist flaked out on them at some point in the process requiring a restart, and some were just "Hey, we have all this money now, let's pay some real artists to make it pretty."

I'm torn between thinking it was a waste of a lot of time when the versions that existed before as prototypes were serviceable, but also really impressed with how everything finally looks. Like, I know there's more to it than just "Werewolf clone", but unless you're like a social deduction connoisseur, that's what it is, and so their differentiation is going to be the appearance, and my goodness is it gorgeous.

Yeah, I'm reasonably new to Kickstarter, but I treat every project as "someday". I'll back something cool if it's due in a month or in four years if I think it's worth being a backer for. So given how communicative they've been (though a lot of their communication in the first year was kind of... waffley?), I'm fine. I don't care. A gorgeous project in hand is a gorgeous project in hand.

But they have definitely chosen to be artists over business people. Their next Kickstarter is not an instaback from me, etc.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/922346066/margherita-pizza-games-collection/description

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/358905/margherita

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Each player may slap or not the box!

E: The game has literally two components (the box and the cards) which are apparently printed and ready to ship, and he didn't bother to take a picture of the cards?

EE: €9 with free shipping to anywhere in the world seems like it will cost significantly more than revenue.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 19, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Stickman posted:

Each player may slap or not the box!

Thread title

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

Thread title

Too bad "I have launched more than 15 KS campaigns. I have delivered/refunded all of them." is too long.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Too bad "I have launched more than 15 KS campaigns. I have delivered/refunded all of them." is too long.

why would we put kevin crawford's track record in the title of the thread

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

why would we put kevin crawford's track record in the title of the thread

for reference, crawford's last kickstarter was for a new printing of stars without number. it successfully funded on september 20th, 2021. the fulfillment estimate was september 2022. as a backer, i had the final print product in my hands on february 24th. man does not gently caress around.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I don't understand why this game is pizza themed. I think the little pizza box is cute, but aside from the word "Margherita" on everything, this is nothing. Just, "Flip a coin 40 times, and if you guess wrong, you instantly lose." Maybe if you threw the cards like pizza dough...?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It's a little bit more involved than that because you can see which side the card lands on but need to act quickly because only first player to slap the box gets the cards. It's basically condensed slap jack with an instant-out condition and you're beating up a cardboard box instead of the card itself.

Maybe the creator thinks that pizza dough gets flipped when it's tossed in the air?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It can be flipped.

If you're bad at it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Maybe they drunk ordered 100 small pizza boxes, and decided the best way to dispose of them was to kickstart a game.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I hate having to punch stuff out for this exact reason
I like to use a sharp thing to help prevent tearing by almost cutting them out

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

63 hour warning on Illterati - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gapclosergames/illiterati

Do you like tiny bribes?
https://twitter.com/25thCG/status/1505994129641201665

No idea on launch date as of yet.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Thank you for the reminder! Backed.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Tidal Blades Kickstarter is up. I haven't played it, but the world seems interesting, and I kind of am interested in the RPG despite it being Cypher System.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Tidal Blades Kickstarter is up. I haven't played it, but the world seems interesting, and I kind of am interested in the RPG despite it being Cypher System.

I love the art style, i'll have to watch the videos tomorrow but this is looking promising

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Yazeba's Bed and Breakfast, from the people behind Wanderhome, is up on Indiegogo (they're avoiding Kickstarter because, Kickstarter.) Cozy magical slice of life stuff.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/yazeba-s-bed-breakfast#/

It looks very ambitious and they seem to really have their poo poo together. There's a free playkit to check out on itch: https://possumcreekgames.itch.io/yazeba-ashcan

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kickstarter CEO has resigned
https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/22/22991562/kickstarter-ceo-aziz-hasan-resigns

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

quote:

Hasan’s announcement comes a few months after the company announced it would develop a decentralized version of Kickstarter and move on to the blockchain. Backlash soon followed, forcing the company to issue a follow-up statement saying it would slow down the rollout to “listen to [the] feedback” and address concerns from creators and backers.

Kickstarter and company leadership also faced criticism in 2019 — just months after Hasan was named CEO — for its refusal to voluntarily recognize Kickstarter United, its employee union.

lol bye

https://twitter.com/comicsbeat/status/1494778682338160645

the new guy sucks too

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I see they've downgraded from doing it to thinking about doing it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

He's only the interim CEO while they find someone new for the big job. (Although I guess it might end up being him? I'm not sure how these things normally play out.)

You're right about him sucking, though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

This is a great interview and shows they’ve got absolutely no idea about any of it outside of buzzwords.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bunch of poo poo dropped today as well

Imma link em, you'll look at em. end of transaction

Games
Tidal Blades 2: Rise of the Unfolders - RPG + Minis + Boardgame all in one.
Casting Shadows - Cute forest animal battler by creators of Unstable Unicorns + Here To Slay
Jurassic World: The Legacy of Isla Nublar - A legacy game around Jurrassic Park! (That's good!) By a big publisher that shouldn't be in this space because it'll just be released at retail (That's bad!)
Mercurial - Dost thou like fantasy card games with cool art and dice?!
Terraforming Mars Ares Expedition Expansions - Everybody loves Terraforming mars! Particularly the individually shrink wrapped metal cubes!
Island Alone - Roll and Write about being stuck on an island.
Dragon Quest: A Fantasy Dice Game - A roll and write dice game with Dragons and Dungeons! By Queen Games!
Kingdoms Rise & Fall - Dorian - Didn't time their launch right, cause this looks like a cut down Tidal Blades.
Okko Chronicles: Cycle of Earth - Oh look a bunch of samurai minis you'll never paint

Bling
Sharp Edge Resin VHS Dice - It's dice, but they come in a VHS sleeve. It's dumb but it sorta kinda rules.
Wyrmwood RPG Tracking System - Cheapish modular trackers for D&D
Levitating Dice - Gonna put a biiiiig caveat emptor on this one. Might be a weeeee bit over engineered.
Milos Amazing Dice - The dice actually talk!

Yes friends, act now! Destroy Unicron! Kill the Grand Poobah! Eliminate even the toughest stains!
:siren: 40 hours left - Illiterati - It's tiles in a bag, you know you want to. Down for $1 for PM access.
:siren: 53 hours left - Old School Essentials Fantasy RPG Box Sets - Classic RPG given the TLC treatment. Check if you like D&D 1E
:siren: 6 days left - Hamlet: The Village Building Game - Worker placement tile laying game. I'm backing.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Bling
Sharp Edge Resin VHS Dice - It's dice, but they come in a VHS sleeve. It's dumb but it sorta kinda rules.
Levitating Dice - Gonna put a biiiiig caveat emptor on this one. Might be a weeeee bit over engineered.

shit_id_back_if_it_wasnt_for_shipping.txt

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
There's also https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gbg/fire-for-light

Fire for Light. Which I think also kinda suffers from being in a similar genre to Tidal Blades 2 but being way more expensive for less.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ll keep an eye on Jurassic World for what KS exclusives they announce, because the only thing so far is a box sleeve.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

It's crazy how there are often several $100k+ campaigns going on at once

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

CODChimera posted:

It's crazy how there are often several $100k+ campaigns going on at once
I've backed tons of big KS board games and I think the prices and shipping/COVID uncertainty is finally making me back away.
They're now too rich for my blood.

I might only consider whatever the next Awaken Realms/Red Raven/Expansions to existing games I own/etc... projects are.

CHOAM
Mar 13, 2022

Shipping prices nowadays has definitely put a cap on physical games I back nowadays. If it isn't shipping in country I'll only back at most one game, otherwise it's all digital.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
The VHS dice are $70 per set??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The Jurassic park game looks like a reskinned Robinson Crusoe, which was really difficult and had tons of randomness