Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The LG DualUp exists! Check out the video to see someone playing Doom in, um, baffling 16:18:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4S5ruT_xX4

The included arm looks really nice but probably rather expensive if it's not optional. I really hope the mount is VESA compliant since it looks very close but the reviewer didn't say.

60 hz is a bit of a bummer but I suppose that's fine for almost any kind of work (maybe not video editing?) and hopefully will keep it reasonably priced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Turned on its side, that thing fuckin rules. Extremely close to the 5:4 aspect ratio of 1280x1024 (which was the best), or the 4:3 of old CRTs. Suck it wideailures.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

d0grent posted:

1080p at 27" hasn't looked too bad to me :shrug:

But yeah I don't think having only one monitor at a bigger resolution would work.

Why would that matter much, you are probably showing different things on the monitors. I have been running multimonitor for couple decades and I have always had different models and resolution, usually three monitors. Even when I had three 24" 1920x1200 monitors at work I had setup one of them in portrait, so the resolutions didn't really match.

Biggest annoyance is when you are trying to move the mouse to another screen and it gets stuck behind a "corner". This can be mitigated by lining the monitors in either top or at the bottom, depending on which you are more likely to use while moving the mouse.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Saukkis posted:

Why would that matter much, you are probably showing different things on the monitors. I have been running multimonitor for couple decades and I have always had different models and resolution, usually three monitors. Even when I had three 24" 1920x1200 monitors at work I had setup one of them in portrait, so the resolutions didn't really match.

Biggest annoyance is when you are trying to move the mouse to another screen and it gets stuck behind a "corner". This can be mitigated by lining the monitors in either top or at the bottom, depending on which you are more likely to use while moving the mouse.

I remember windows having an issue with it the few times I tried. Admittedly that was a while ago and only once or twice so I'm happy to hear it's actually doable.

Maybe I'll go for a 27" 1440p monitor instead then!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Saukkis posted:

What is this Old World Blues-rear end desktop layout??

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

d0grent posted:

I remember windows having an issue with it the few times I tried. Admittedly that was a while ago and only once or twice so I'm happy to hear it's actually doable.

Maybe I'll go for a 27" 1440p monitor instead then!

You should try moving further away from your monitors and test how far away you can comfortably read and use them. This should give you an idea how high resolution you can use with 27".

I don't remember different resolutions ever causing problems. There can be minor issues for example if you have left/center/right arrangement and play a game on the center monitor at lower resolution. This may cause the windows on the right monitor move around. When I had three CRTs I had them logically arranged as J, so that Windows would think my center gaming monitor was at the bottom right.

Shumagorath posted:

What is this Old World Blues-rear end desktop layout??

Number 1 is 27" 1440p main/gaming/forums reading monitor, #4 is 1440p YouTube monitor, #2 is an old 1200p for Irssi and Discord, and #3 is a 4K television, not actually placed next to the monitors.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Saukkis posted:

I'm pretty sure you can customize LittleBigMouse to do what you want (I've only personally tried it with nearly identical-size 27" monitors, one at 4k and the other 1440p).

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>

Death On Toast posted:

If you're only looking at those two monitors, I would go with the HP, although I can't find what I would consider to be a reputable/comprehensive review of it. Pretty much every VA monitor that isn't from the Samsung Odyssey G7/G9 line suffers some amount of dark level smearing, which can look real bad in certain scenes. Also, at 32", I would start to get concerned with VA's worse viewing angles causing color shift around the edge of the screen, and would prefer a curved monitor.

According to this, the HP monitor uses an LG or BEC panel interchangeably. The only 32" 1440p144hz+ IPS monitors LG sells are the (closely related) 32GP850 and 32GP83B, which are both good monitors, so I would assume the panel is in that ballpark performance-wise, and given that they use the BEC panel interchangeably, I would also assume that indicates the two are pretty evenly matched (or maybe HP just accepts that "yeah, half of these monitors are gonna suck, who cares," which would be a lovely if somewhat amusing business practice, idk). I'm absolutely making some assumptions here, but recent trends in budget IPS gaming monitors have been positive, while I still hear a lot about budget VA being not worth it.

Other options in that size/spec range that are known to be good are the Gigabyte M32Q, the two LG monitors I mentioned, or the 32" Samsung Odyssey G7, but those all get progressively pricier. If you're buying from Amazon or someone else with a good returns policy, you can totally just buy one, and return it if you don't like it. Another option would be drop down to 27", where there's a bunch of good monitors (see my previous post for a few).

thanks a lot for the info! after further reading, i think i'll try to wait for a deal on the M32Q or LG 32GP850-B popping up at some point. they're a good bit more expensive than their 27" counterparts though. also decided VA panels are probably out, as the dark smearing/scrolling on them seems like a personal hell to me.

i might need to see them in person to better gauge if 32" is even worth it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
This is just me, but I've never understood why someone would prefer a size above 28" or so. I mean, can't you just move the monitor closer to your face?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

eXXon posted:

The LG DualUp exists! Check out the video to see someone playing Doom in, um, baffling 16:18:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4S5ruT_xX4

The included arm looks really nice but probably rather expensive if it's not optional. I really hope the mount is VESA compliant since it looks very close but the reviewer didn't say.

60 hz is a bit of a bummer but I suppose that's fine for almost any kind of work (maybe not video editing?) and hopefully will keep it reasonably priced.

really want one of these for like a kitchen pc

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

mediaphage posted:

really want one of these for like a kitchen pc

For shitposting.... for real I might buy 5 and stick them in storage to scalp the gently caress out of the 6 people who fasll in love with them in 10 years.

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009

nrook posted:

This is just me, but I've never understood why someone would prefer a size above 28" or so. I mean, can't you just move the monitor closer to your face?

I recently bought a 32" Odyssey G7, now I want a 38" or 40" monitor. And I sit like two feet from it. Just cover my entire field of vision with gaming goodness =D

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Second photo looks pretty uniform and yeah, that's about what you can expect from an LG IPS. Don't run it at 100 or 75 brightness or whatever it defaults to unless you actually need that much.
When you say that's about what I can expect from an LG IPS, does that mean LG's IPS are mediocre compared to other manufaturers, or do you mean something else?

An interesting side effect is that I'm now more bothered by the thicker bezel on my old Acer 27" 1440p 60Hz. $250 w/tax for another HP X27q is unnecessary but might be worth it.

Of course, if I'm open to the idea of buying 2 new monitors, I'm now wondering if I should go curved? I've long been annoyed by how the edges of 2x27" are farther away, and VA's better contrast would help when I use the computer in the dark at night. However, I've never used a curved monitor, only stood in front of them at the store.

Using Newegg as a reference, there seem to be a few 27" 1440p curved monitors under $250: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=27%22+1440p+curved+monitor&Order=1&N=4814

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 22, 2022

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
LG gaming IPS panels have higher light penetration and thus worse contrast than a lot of others. Uniformity wise, that's pretty normal for any monitor that doesn't have a large bezel and/or a lot of other effort invested into suppressing edge light bleed.

All VA monitors are only going to have good contrast if you're looking at them from the sweet spot, otherwise it's hot garbage as color and contrast become... not at all right. They will tend to have slightly better perceived uniformity, at least at the same price point. If you are going to do things like lean to the side in your chair, or lie on a couch, be aware of that. Also performance in darker transitions is very, very bad, unless you're talking about the Odyssey G7, G9, G9 Neo. Like "can barely keep up with 30 FPS" bad. You're probably better off trying something like an M27Q which has slightly better contrast than you are making the huge sacrifices for the very limited benefits of VA.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

When you say that's about what I can expect from an LG IPS, does that mean LG's IPS are mediocre compared to other manufaturers, or do you mean something else?

An interesting side effect is that I'm now more bothered by the thicker bezel on my old Acer 27" 1440p 60Hz. $250 w/tax for another HP X27q is unnecessary but might be worth it.

Of course, if I'm open to the idea of buying 2 new monitors, I'm now wondering if I should go curved? I've long been annoyed by how the edges of 2x27" are farther away, and VA's better contrast would help when I use the computer in the dark at night. However, I've never used a curved monitor, only stood in front of them at the store.

Using Newegg as a reference, there seem to be a few 27" 1440p curved monitors under $250: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=27%22+1440p+curved+monitor&Order=1&N=4814

As far as LG IPS go, they are just about as good as you can get in the consumer market. There is always something to complain about for every type of monitor.

For example here are some common complaints about the various panel types:
TN? Fast but lovely color and viewing angle.
IPS? Backlight bleed and low contrast.
VA? Bad response time which causing smearing. (This is likely what you'll see with those curved 27" QHD monitors and why they are so cheap)
OLED? Expensive, only a few options in the market, and can have burn-in.

Pick your poison. If you aren't a nitpick, get an IPS. You probably won't notice any problems. Something like 85% of retail monitor sales are IPS. Probably don't get a curved VA unless your eyes are terrible and you won't notice the black smearing. TN is actually most likely fine if it was made in the last 5 years.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TheDK posted:

Wow, I remember going from a nice Viewsonic 19" to a Planar 5:4 17" and being really disappointed with how literally lovely the Outlook icon turned. The dull gold became ugly brown. It almost wasn't worth the reclaimed desk space.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

What pricepoint should I not go under if I don't want a 4k monitor to be cutting major corners on quality in something other than the resolution?

I'm seeing a decent amount of 4k monitors for the same price as the same size 1440p monitors, so I'm assuming something else like the panel quality is taking a hit in that case right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

K8.0 posted:

LG gaming IPS panels have higher light penetration and thus worse contrast than a lot of others. Uniformity wise, that's pretty normal for any monitor that doesn't have a large bezel and/or a lot of other effort invested into suppressing edge light bleed.

All VA monitors are only going to have good contrast if you're looking at them from the sweet spot, otherwise it's hot garbage as color and contrast become... not at all right. They will tend to have slightly better perceived uniformity, at least at the same price point. If you are going to do things like lean to the side in your chair, or lie on a couch, be aware of that. Also performance in darker transitions is very, very bad, unless you're talking about the Odyssey G7, G9, G9 Neo. Like "can barely keep up with 30 FPS" bad. You're probably better off trying something like an M27Q which has slightly better contrast than you are making the huge sacrifices for the very limited benefits of VA.

TheDK posted:

As far as LG IPS go, they are just about as good as you can get in the consumer market. There is always something to complain about for every type of monitor.

VA? Bad response time which causing smearing. (This is likely what you'll see with those curved 27" QHD monitors and why they are so cheap)

Pick your poison. If you aren't a nitpick, get an IPS. You probably won't notice any problems. Something like 85% of retail monitor sales are IPS. Probably don't get a curved VA unless your eyes are terrible and you won't notice the black smearing. TN is actually most likely fine if it was made in the last 5 years.
So it sounds like curved VA isn't really what I'm looking for. To be clear, I'm okay with the contrast and backlight bleed on the LG and IPS. The viewing angle thing is a bit annoying, but I've dealt with it for the past 10 years and I suppose it's unavoidable with two 27" monitors.

Looks like I just need to convince myself it's worth $250 to get a matching X27q for narrower bezel and color matching. Maybe I can resell my Acer for $100 on FB Marketplace but I'm not optimistic. :shrug:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 22, 2022

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

So it sounds like curved VA isn't really what I'm looking for. To be clear, I'm okay with the contrast and backlight bleed on the LG and IPS. The viewing angle thing is a bit annoying, but I've dealt with it for the past 10 years and I suppose it's unavoidable with two 27" monitors.

Looks like I just need to convince myself it's worth $250 to get a matching X27q for narrower bezel and color matching. Maybe I can resell my Acer for $100 on FB Marketplace but I'm not optimistic. :shrug:

If you turn the monitors towards you the viewing angles shouldn't be much of an issue. My side monitor is a decade old TN and it works fine.

You also mentioned thick bezels and one way to mitigate that is to put the monitor with thicker bezel slightly behind the other. My top monitor is behind the main and I have about 1 millimeter of the bezel visible.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Saukkis posted:

If you turn the monitors towards you the viewing angles shouldn't be much of an issue. My side monitor is a decade old TN and it works fine.

You also mentioned thick bezels and one way to mitigate that is to put the monitor with thicker bezel slightly behind the other. My top monitor is behind the main and I have about 1 millimeter of the bezel visible.
I do both those things. Having the monitors angled toward me definitely helps but the edges are far away. But that’s what happens with 54” of monitor I suppose.

As for overlapping the bezels, that what I did with the old 27” 1440p ones I’m replacing but for some reason it really bothers me now that I’ve replaced one of them. I ordered a second matching one this morning, we’ll see if I still do that when it shows up. :shrug:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 22, 2022

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Hell yeah, I'm so excited, going from a 24 inch 1440p TN to this. I've never used an ultrawide, never used an OLED outside of my phone, and never experienced HDR, so I'm pumped.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Hope you like it! I'd at least want to try it out but it's still not sold here in Europe :negative:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
You get it two days after you ordered it? Must be nice.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Rusty posted:

You get it two days after you ordered it? Must be nice.

The next day actually, UPS just told me it's being delivered tomorrow :dance:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I ordered mine the day they were put up and I still have a month to go, maybe they can ship me one from where you live.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Rusty posted:

I ordered mine the day they were put up and I still have a month to go, maybe they can ship me one from where you live.

I ordered about a minute after they went live in the UK this morning, apparently they sold out the initial stock in less than an hour.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

TheDK posted:

The only good monitor technologies either doesn't exist yet (microLED) or existed only in labs but were abandoned before they even had a shot (SED/FED). Pick which one whos' shortcomings are least annoying to you.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What was wrong with SED/FED? I'm guessing the other one is a matter of time, but I don't want to hit 50k hours on these backlights to find out how long.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

What was wrong with SED/FED? I'm guessing the other one is a matter of time, but I don't want to hit 50k hours on these backlights to find out how long.
IIRC it was just a matter of the manufacturing being way too difficult and OLED was right there being far easier to produce

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>
just came out of my rabbit hole of learning how all monitors with "similar specs" are not created equal, and being kind of upset by the fact that practically all displays are allowed to advertise "1ms". while this is technically in the op, it didn't seem important when i was looking into a new monitor. idk why. it's so easy to get caught up by "they're the same specs, but this one's cheaper" and not realize why there's a $100 difference. because the spec sheet on the store page doesn't tell you.

anyways i said gently caress a 32" and decided on this (MSI MAG274QRF-QD).

Twisc fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 23, 2022

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

TheDK posted:

FWIW not all curved VA panels are the same. On my original Monoprice 34" ultrawide, I hardly noticed smearing, but after that failed and I got an Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx to replace it, it's definitely terrible on that screen.

Either way I ended up getting that monitor for free thanks to an Amazon fuckup so I won't complain too much :v:

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Are there any good 34 inch Ultra Wide monitors with high dpi coming out anytime soon? The LG5k2k monitor seems to be finnicky with Macs

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
should've waited for that alienware q-oled. gently caress

ah the hell with it (buys it anyways)

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
I know curved displays are kind of frowned upon in here, but we have a couple at work and I really enjoy using them. I’d like to get a widescreen one, (maybe 34”?)for home use in my 12700k/rtx 3070 rig. If by some chance there’s considerably more value in getting a similarly wide screen without the curve, I can probably live without it.

I’ve got $400 to spend, though less would be better. I plan to mostly record music, edit video and some gaming so some kind of adaptive sync feature would be nice. Other than that I’m not too picky. Just want to get the most for my money.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 23, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Curved computer displays are fine, you just have to accept that backlight bleed is generally worse on curved panels.

IMO for anything beyond a certain width a curve of some level is mandatory. 34" ultrawides are at that line for me, I wouldn't have one without, the edges start to get bad viewing angles on a flat ultrawide.

Curved TVs are the thing that's pretty much universally hated, because the idea of focusing the display on a single sweet spot at the cost of the rest of the room is absurd with a normal size TV, and since you're usually seated a lot further away the benefit isn't even there until you get up to the "wall to wall projection" level.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does DisplayPort/Windows 10 have known issues connecting to a monitor when a PC is waking from sleep? I have my X27q connected to my work laptop dock via HDMI and my PC's 970 via DisplayPort. My routine at the end of the day for the past 3 days has been to put the work laptop to sleep then wake my PC from sleep. The X27q has auto-detect but in 2 of the 3 days, my PC won't detect the monitor even if I manually change the input. The 1 day it worked, it auto-detected and connected, which is my desired outcome.

All these posts about the Alienware QD-OLED have me intrigued. :negative:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 24, 2022

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

wolrah posted:

Curved computer displays are fine, you just have to accept that backlight bleed is generally worse on curved panels.

IMO for anything beyond a certain width a curve of some level is mandatory. 34" ultrawides are at that line for me, I wouldn't have one without, the edges start to get bad viewing angles on a flat ultrawide.

Copy that. Decided to go with the Gigabyte G34WQC. Thanks.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Josh Lyman posted:

Does DisplayPort/Windows 10 have known issues connecting to a monitor when a PC is waking from sleep? I have my X27q connected to my work laptop dock via HDMI and my PC's 970 via DisplayPort. My routine at the end of the day for the past 3 days has been to put the work laptop to sleep then wake my PC from sleep. The X27q has auto-detect but in 2 of the 3 days, my PC won't detect the monitor even if I manually change the input. The 1 day it worked, it auto-detected and connected, which is my desired outcome.

Yes, there are a whole bunch of monitors that handle the DisplayPort presence signal incorrectly and effectively tell the PC they've been unplugged, especially when either turned off or put in to deep sleep.

Look for power saving related options in your monitor's menus. If you're lucky there's something you can tweak to make it do the right thing.

I don't believe any monitor vendors have ever officially confirmed why this stupid behavior exists, but since it's so commonly associated with power saving settings my hypothesis is the reason is a lazy implementation of the DisplayPort Aux channel combined with compliance with EU regulations about idle power draw. The Aux channel is required to be up any time presence is asserted, so if it's been lazily implemented on the monitor's main controller it may not be able to be kept up while in a sufficiently low power mode. When forced with a choice between annoying the regulators, annoying the users, and spending a few more cents per unit to do it right they chose to annoy the users.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
ew