Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
After something like 12 years of faithful service, my wired XBOX 360 controller for my PC decided that the left bumper should be really flaky.

What's the current good option for a controller for PC gaming? I might err on the side of readily available nearby rather than the most perfect option, because I'd really like to keep playing Elden Ring over the weekend. But playing with the shield only working 1/4 of the time sucks!

I do have a PS4 Pro, so I have a controller for that, just have never bothered to use them on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mlmp08 posted:

After something like 12 years of faithful service, my wired XBOX 360 controller for my PC decided that the left bumper should be really flaky.

What's the current good option for a controller for PC gaming? I might err on the side of readily available nearby rather than the most perfect option, because I'd really like to keep playing Elden Ring over the weekend. But playing with the shield only working 1/4 of the time sucks!

I do have a PS4 Pro, so I have a controller for that, just have never bothered to use them on PC.

You can use your ps4 pad using a usb cable, otherwise the golden standard is still using xbox pads, this time one/series units.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The newer Xbox controllers are still really good for PC gaming. Plus most newer PCs have bluetooth now, so you can likely get away without having to wire it if that's to your liking.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If it's already broken, take the controller apart. Some times it's something as simple as some crusties on the contact. Bit of isopropyl alcohol and a Q tip, wipe it off, good to go.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ds4 works fine via bluetooth for me with steam if i set it up via big picture mode. some games might need ds4windows to work fully.

xbone controllers work fine but you need the $20 wireless dongle too, some poo poo gets wonky if you just use bluetooth on some games.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

mlmp08 posted:

Get The Duke!

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Wired-Controller-Windows-Green-Limited/dp/B07GC2YSBG

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

:allbuttons:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I have one. They don't all come in that awful colour, and there are actual bumpers as well as the black/white buttons. It's the best controller ever.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I have one. They don't all come in that awful colour, and there are actual bumpers as well as the black/white buttons. It's the best controller ever.

Some real hot takes in the Gaming thread today.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hekk posted:

Some real hot takes in the Gaming thread today.

Sorry about your tiny, childlike hands :smug:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Thank you all for the recommendations. I probably won’t, but the duke is seriously tempting. I’m old enough to have played a bunch of OG XBOX, and I have large hands.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah. I get why not everyone likes it, but it seems like there was a small group of people that it was just spot on for.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Elden Ring Chat : I found a greatsword made from a whole bunch of smaller swords :black101:

Won't be able to use it for another 20 lvls or so though....

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Pro tip: if you have a Switch and MarioKart, get drunk, mute the game and put on the Mad Max Fury Road soundtrack while you play with friends. It’s next level fun.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I almost never have sound up on anything I'm playing. Just listening to some folk or podcast in the background. James Taylor is pretty satisfying while playing Warzone.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Hardspace dudes- once you get the Javelin heavy tanker, is there any other ship subclasses left?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

GD_American posted:

Hardspace dudes- once you get the Javelin heavy tanker, is there any other ship subclasses left?

You get stuff all the way up to where you're taking apart Gecko ghost ships.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
So new Valkyrie Profile game (Valkyrie Elysium) was announced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgUkqfCtU2s

Facial animations feel rough and ugh that Naruto run. Still looks like it could be fun. PS4/5 and Steam this year apparently.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I keep getting the itch to finish achievements in Frostpunk. The survivor ones are killing me right now. Also the oddball epxansion ones about building generators with various groups left over.

Frostpunk 2 needs to come out, or at least get a drat release date.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Absolutely. I don't think I've played another game with such a brutal "this world is hosed" vibe.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Absolutely. I don't think I've played another game with such a brutal "this world is hosed" vibe.

Buddy, I play the game of life every single day.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Frostpunk is dark, but not real life dark.

Gotta break away for a little sunshine from time to time. Or blizzards that hit -150°C.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Frostpunk is so good. Couldn't get into the ex-packs because the base game was so goddamn nail-biting tho :gonk:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The expansion is fun, different stories and all that. I really liked on the edge but I haven't played it in a while. Might give it a go tonight since I'm burned out on the arks at the moment.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Sooo. Anyone who's played Frostpunk with the expansions, did you get the Not Great, Not Terrible achievement yet, and if so, how?

I've been going back and forth for days, micromanaging people, loving up, reloading, and somehow now my workplaces are just reverting to safe (needs to stay unhealthy to dangerous) the moment the gas is no longer an issue. The Last Autumn is on my last nerve, and I still have to do Survivor after.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

oh hey i totally lied and bought elden ring and it loving rules sorry not sorry

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh hey i totally lied and bought elden ring and it loving rules sorry not sorry

It's really good man...
Like BOTW is really good, and DS 1-3 are really good, and this is just really all those things put together, except its way better than you would expect it to be.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The Souls games are my favorite games as far as quest design and world building and Elden Ring is as close to a perfect game as I’ve ever played based on what I enjoy.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s such a little thing, but whenever I walk up into the Great Deku Tree in BoTW and one of the Koroks screams JOY!! it makes me smile a little bit :unsmith:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Got that drat Frostpunk achievement finally, and another today.

Crusader Kings 3 is hitting xbox gamepass next week, so I'm trying to grind this poo poo out.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

elden ring is skyrim with dark souls combat

its the most newbie friendly while still remaining dark souls

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
My mage can now wield a great epee and shield, but also casts spells. This might be a game changer. I had previously been smashing fellow sorcerers over the head with a morning star.

Got the Banished Knight Halberd off of revenge mode Edgar and have enjoyed how good it is at poking grabby zombies, endlessly stunning them so they don’t attack.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 22, 2022

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I went into Elden Ring immediately after playing through Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne and Sekiro. Honestly I thought Elden Ring was pretty easy (Bloodborne was also easy) even though I had a blast the whole time. I'm on my second play through right now to platinum it on PS5.

Sekiro is both a lot harder and has bosses that are more satisfying to beat. Not making a Sekiro 2 would be a shame, best combat system for a video game that's ever been made.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Elden Ring ist my first Fromsoftware/Dark Souls title ever, and I fully expected it to be a miserable early-experience as a first-timer, but I think having seen a million DS clips and memes over the years prepared me more than I had anticipated.
I fully rejoice in getting my face murdered in the most colorful and surprising events by fresh horrors out of nowhere repeatedly. I actually chuckle like a child when I see something weird in the distance and noping right the gently caress out instead of IMMEDIATELY exploring what it is, because I automatically assume it's a be-tentacled brain-monster zombiecrab with a festering-diarrhea-AOE and I will die to it because a giant crab will tag in from behind me and I have no chance of living.

Regarding the good aspect:
- the game is visually stunning to an extent where I barely have words for it, just really impressive to behold
- the combat/swordplay feels really well-done and much cleaner than what I had expected from the wonky dodge-rolling and clipping-fiestas I saw from clips of previous DS titles. No idea if that actually felt as wonky for the folks playing those titles, but ER just looks well-done in comparison to me
- the scale of monsters is amazing, and I love that despite some of the looks, there actually seems to be a decent balance to them difficulty-wise as I've now managed to beat some things that I definitely assumed I had no killing by figuring out their mechanics and perfecting movement/dodging/attacking tailored to them

Regarding the not-so-good experience:
- I don't really know "what to do", and while I fully anticipated that "the game doesn't tell you anything", and that "ER doesn't do quests like other games", I didn't expect to feel this "not-driven" to do anything other than exploring and unlocking lost grace points to fast travel. I kinda opted to not immediately follow the main story-line because of a troll and a bunch of other dudesters in a gatehouse passage, and instead chose to spelunk around/level up/find equipment, and while I ran into two different NPCs that had "side-quests" for me (I think? one guy on a broken structure that wanted me to liberate a castle, and one telling me something about her dad being in Castle Morne?)
- the equipment is the second issue...I barely have any idea what any of the stats do (outside of the basics, like figuring out that if something gives you good pierce resistance and bad slashing resistance, you don't want to get sworded and fare better against a spear dude), and thus don't really have too much of a clue which of my gear/tools/weapons is actually better than something I previously had
- related to the previous point, the same thing applies to all the other stats the game shows me, but doesn't really explain to me. I don't mind having to learn something on my own, or a game "not explaining mechanics", but when there are clearly a million stats shown, maybe give some hints or more tool-tips/loading-screen-tips regarding those, idk?
- the reward-system feels kinda unbalanced. Not the skill-based feeling of reward when you down your first troll, because that feels rewarding as hell, but seeing it drop 1000 runes, I mean. A friend of mine pointed me to an area I could access through a portal behind a church of Marika where you'd have some decent leveling opportunities, and there are little dudes with sickles that you can merc for the same 1000 runes with MUCH less hassle than fighting a big-rear end troll
- the lore feels kinda...unaccessible compared to how intriguing it seems, though I assume I don't know poo poo about the lore yet because I've evaded the main quest-line so far

All in all, amazing game, and extremely well-done, but with some really off-turning features/balances for me as a new player, that are - bizzarely-enough - entirely different from what I was told to expect as a new player from ER.
I'm at level 25 after farming and spelunking around a bunch, dying a whole bunch of times while laughing like a maniacal idiot, and laughing some more while dying doing incredibly dumb poo poo. I'm gonna try googling a couple of guides to see if I can't understand how to set up my equipment/sell of unneeded stuff, and then progress down the main quest-line a little more.

Also, Steam Link owns. I initially had really choppy performance playing this with a controller from my bed on a 55" 4k screen, but figured out the TV wasn't on the 5Ghz channel of the router, so now I think I'm just gonna lay some cable over (for the course of playing ER) and just do the full BotW experience of playing several hours in the evening before hitting the hay.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

- the reward-system feels kinda unbalanced. Not the skill-based feeling of reward when you down your first troll, because that feels rewarding as hell, but seeing it drop 1000 runes, I mean. A friend of mine pointed me to an area I could access through a portal behind a church of Marika where you'd have some decent leveling opportunities, and there are little dudes with sickles that you can merc for the same 1000 runes with MUCH less hassle than fighting a big-rear end troll

to be fair that zone is WAY later in the game's usual progression, you've basically used an in-game sequence break to go like 60 hours ahead

like if you goof up even a little bit those little dudes will smack you for almost all your health

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elden Ring is great. I think the deeper into it you go the less amusing it is to get stomped by things but the open world is perfectly designed to let you just go somewhere else if you’re getting frustrated.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Patware posted:

to be fair that zone is WAY later in the game's usual progression, you've basically used an in-game sequence break to go like 60 hours ahead

like if you goof up even a little bit those little dudes will smack you for almost all your health

that being said i spent a shitload of time farming those dude and whenever i need runes for upgrading or gear poo poo i run there

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Patware posted:

Oh, believe me, I've noticed

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The best part about the game, and the biggest improvement on the souls formula, is the open world. You don’t have to beat your head against a wall a million times. You can go do something else for tens of hours. Usually during that time I’ll find some new gear. Or get some levels. Or find another boss that I CAN beat.

Also if you don’t know where to go, just explore places you’ve never been. You’ll stumble on to something. And that’s the best part!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah, being able to walk away from anythjng in the open world makes it a billion times more accessible