Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

The Vinja Ninja posted:

I really enjoyed it last summer when I went to the mountains of where I was born, And its hundreds of miles away from any major city, and there was this horizon of beautiful yellow smog.

Beautiful, when I was younger I could see clarity on the horizon, now its tinged in a yellow smog layer of diffusion.

Hiked a peak near Mt. Rainier I visited as a kid and the amount of new single-family housing you can see from the peak is insane, it is right next to federal/state protected land at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1505901719904919564

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

as is typical in my lecture on chapter 9, "the atmospheres of the terrestrial planets", I went full doom-brain in the last five minutes.

I have never seen a group of high schoolers get that quiet. I was honestly kinda impressed.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

mdemone posted:

as is typical in my lecture on chapter 9, "the atmospheres of the terrestrial planets", I went full doom-brain in the last five minutes.

I have never seen a group of high schoolers get that quiet. I was honestly kinda impressed.

This is kind of rubbing salt in the wound man

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

T-Paine posted:

This is kind of rubbing salt in the wound man

they need the reality check for the most part. only a few of them have a loose and tangential understanding of it, but if i got through to even one kid then I'll take that as a win.

but yeah I knew it was gonna hit hard, that's why I started with pathos and worked my way back to ethos.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

mdemone posted:

they need the reality check for the most part. only a few of them have a loose and tangential understanding of it, but if i got through to even one kid then I'll take that as a win.

but yeah I knew it was gonna hit hard, that's why I started with pathos and worked my way back to ethos.

I was kind of joking but yeah the sooner they learn how dire their future is going to be the better they'll be able to (deep) adapt to it

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!
Nonesense! To the contrary and furthermore the invisible hand of the free market will certainly catch the moon prior to impact, the laws of gravitation do not apply here just keep calm and go shopping.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

all the greatest hits are coming together for one HUGE blow-out

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mdemone posted:

accepting how things are takes time, you've gotta work through all the stages of grief

you did a good deed. better to work through that stuff now, while there's still time, before they're trapped in their car in the middle of a wildfire or food riot and they've got minutes to come to terms with mortality

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

the no normal

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

liberalism is once again totally unable to reign in its contempt of the people who actually work to keep the system running. then again, the notion that you must be a fool, a sucker, and a mark to engage in wage labor is not incorrect.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/ClimateBen/status/1506006216140599304

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
time for those eggheads to get a real job

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Homeless Friend posted:

time for those eggheads to get a real job

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

pissinthewind posted:

something seems to be happening pretty regularly ever 50 million years or so! some kind of cycle of life, too much life? oops dead

one of those is an asteroid, and the last one is us. it's not really a cycle.

also some of the options on the table in the human extinction event include thermodynamic equilibrium and biosphere collapse and stuff. so like, the asteroid extinction is the only real comparison point with the human extinction.

that was a single impact event. we are a trillion little impacts every second.

what I'm saying is that it is possible that poo poo was all warmups baby, and we are the finale.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Tired: climate change doesn't affect the economy because economists have determined economic activity only takes place inside
Wired:
https://twitter.com/Tulsabill55/status/1454501976004337667

bahahahahahhahahah this your brain on liberalism

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

emTme3 posted:

bahahahahahhahahah this your brain on liberalism

and the terrible thing is why should he believe otherwise? not just saying but believing total garbage like that has undoubtedly bought him at least favor, place, an contentment, if not success and satisfaction.

we, as a society and a species, has spent not just decades but centuries encouraging, reinforcing, and enshrining exactly the type of thinking and points of view that will leave us the most vulnerable to trials that lay before us.

then again, the people most responsible will be dead by the time the check comes due so once again, why act otherwise?

bedpan has issued a correction as of 22:24 on Mar 21, 2022

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
the laws of physics only apply to physical things! not magical things like economies.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

emTme3 posted:

what I'm saying is that it is possible that poo poo was all warmups baby, and we are the finale.

allow me to assure you that you would be vindicated by future historians, were there to be any, which there will not.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Fly Molo posted:

all the greatest hits are coming together for one HUGE blow-out

this is the ultimate case of people learning the value of "unskilled" labor

that's right homeowners, get in your trail-rated suvs and pick-ups and go out there and fight your own fires

anyone can do it you just need a pulaski and a Hydration Flasktm

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
My kids are 12, 14 & 16. I had them before really thinking about how bad things are going to get. Sometimes I wonder why we're still going through the motions of getting them to apply themselves at school and think about their future as if it's going to be anything like the past "normal".

There's no more normal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they'll be fine. theyve got you to eat

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

this is the ultimate case of people learning the value of "unskilled" labor

that's right homeowners, get in your trail-rated suvs and pick-ups and go out there and fight your own fires

anyone can do it you just need a pulaski and a Hydration Flasktm

Just be careful not to set the woods on fire while welding up your firefighting skid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fxWLL8CRFc

starkebn posted:

My kids are 12, 14 & 16. I had them before really thinking about how bad things are going to get. Sometimes I wonder why we're still going through the motions of getting them to apply themselves at school and think about their future as if it's going to be anything like the past "normal".

There's no more normal.

Well, the neoliberals were on course to roundly gently caress us over one way or another. I'm surprised their normal lasted as long as it did.

Glad I'm old, makes suicide by DIY wildfire fighting a bit more palatable.

It was foretold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaV7Gwo26UE

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

err posted:

anarcho primitivists are right

they're not, but they are entertaining

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
if I were dealing with an increasingly depleted, polluted, and uninhabitable world, I would simply use the power of human innovation and infinite substitution to handwave all of the "physical reality """problems"""" away

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

they're not, but they are entertaining

I'm sure this guy won't fly off the handle if we tug on this loose thread

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

err posted:

anarcho primitivists are right

it would be impossible to fully put the toothpaste back in the tube and revert to hunter-gatherers, even if that is obviously the least detrimental to the environment. but in either case degrowth needs to be emphasized.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Mar 22, 2022

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

T-Paine posted:

I was kind of joking but yeah the sooner they learn how dire their future is going to be the better they'll be able to (deep) adapt to it

There was a time when my last little bit of hope was that enough kids would crack ping and start completely freaking out on their parents over how badly their lives are going to be ruined.

Then I saw Dianne Feinstein basically tell a group of kids to gently caress off and die and that killed that bit of optimism real quick.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I still vividly remember the first time I really understood that almost everyone is bullshitting their way through everything all the time. I was well into my 30s. I have to remind myself very often too.

I think most people don’t ever even have that epiphany. There simply never will be critical mass. The younger generation will never save you. They’re all too busy slotting into place when their elders die. it’s all very tidy.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Lordshmee posted:

it’s all very tidy.

[Biosphere Collapse] Its all very tidy.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's too scary to realize that we are all alone and no one is in control.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Everyone's born alone and we all die alone. GLHF

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i meant the collective we. we absolutely aren't born alone and we often don't die alone, not in the sense that we really are surrounded by other people for our entire lives. sentient animals just like ourselves. very few if anyone spends their entire life truly alone

when i say we are all alone i mean that we are it. there isn't some alien spaceship or government illuminati or religious creation figure looking out over us. it's just us.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Oh I wasn't projecting that statement on you I meant it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the most depressing part about Dont Look Up is that the goofy "rich people rocket to another planet" is the most implausible part of the entire movie

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Lordshmee posted:

I still vividly remember the first time I really understood that almost everyone is bullshitting their way through everything all the time.

it's just the flipside of impostor syndrome

and it's scary as hell

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Staggering under the weight of the copium

https://twitter.com/climatecomic/status/1506023952501522434

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Hubbert posted:

if I were dealing with an increasingly depleted, polluted, and uninhabitable world, I would simply use the power of human innovation and infinite substitution to handwave all of the "physical reality """problems"""" away

friend, what if i were to tell you that such a thing is possible -- a world of infinite possibility, where you have no legs, and everyone looks like a Dreamworks character, and you can anonymously creep on children, all for an unspecified fee at some unspecified future time!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gravid Topiary posted:

friend, what if i were to tell you that such a thing is possible -- a world of infinite possibility, where you have no legs, and everyone looks like a Dreamworks character, and you can anonymously creep on children, all for an unspecified fee at some unspecified future time!

second life came out 19 years ago

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Complications posted:

second life came out 19 years ago

yes but the shambling horrors covered in bifurcated cocks and non-euclidian titties had legs or at least could have legs if you wanted them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/mwatkinstrib/status/1506074913077145601?s=21