Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/openly/status/1505843084365553666?s=21

This is a really interesting thread and a good read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Eason the Fifth posted:

For sure. There's a fat line between allegory and influence. The Dead Marshes, for example:

the gray havens was florida right

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yeah gently caress em, unless they have a specialty skill (Search and Rescue, Fire Fighter, EMT / Paramedic / 68 W or 18D), or are a combat veteran, make em do manual labor or drive trucks.

It's funny hearing about dudes showing up to play soldier and then getting all mad about spending days sitting around doing nothing and getting reamed by beauracracy though. That's the real experience motherfucker!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

On the other hand I'm also sick of modern fiction where "maybe the demons/vampires/cosmic horrors just love romcoms and want to get along at heart"

At least for the most part newer irredeemable evil is getting described as inhuman rather than just ugly humanoid. Nobody cares if a slime tentacle monster or a giant evil planet that can only be defeated by love is absolute evil.

But I can change him

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It's funny hearing about dudes showing up to play soldier and then getting all mad about spending days sitting around doing nothing and getting reamed by beauracracy though. That's the real experience motherfucker!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTkgi7scKo

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

So Jessica Biel or Shakira?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1505924150589747201?t=KF_SNzJzXXQ60-b-Or0xkw&s=19

Losing datalink and having your UAV crash on another country, ha, can't imagine that ever happening to us [looks away in the middle distance]

Why dont the Polish do sick drone hacks like Iran?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ya, Ukrainian comrades, how about our version of MyPay? Not good, right?

-An SOF Ukrainian

Meanwhile, another :stare: article about foreign volunteers, specifically some American Boogaloo Boys (remember them?) . Choice quote here:

quote:

Hoeft’s message and his decision to bow out of the fight early appeared to create a rift between him and Dunn, the former leader of a boogaloo faction in Ohio called the Last Sons of Liberty. A former Marine who says his military career was shortened by a heart condition, Dunn told ProPublica last year that he was “willing to die in the streets” fighting the U.S. government. (Hoeft claims he ditched the Last Sons when the group “got all crazy.”) On his TikTok account, which has now been banned, Dunn pushed back on Hoeft’s claims, while other Georgian National Legion volunteers denied Hoeft’s allegations that they were threatened if they did not leave the unit.

Dunn said that after a supply run to Poland, he decided to join up with a new unit in Ukraine, and he remains “willing to give you my all.” But Hoeft disputed this account: He alleged in a since-deleted Instagram Story that Dunn was kicked out of the Georgian National Legion for his involvement with extremist groups in the U.S. and is now serving with a far-right contingent of the Ukrainian guard whose flag has been championed by white supremacists across the world.

Neither Hoeft nor Dunn responded to requests for comment. The U.S. State Department advises that American citizens should not travel to Ukraine.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Just a head's up, if, in the future, you see me talking about City 17, that's just Odesa. I won't be able to help myself.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

I guess it probably shouldn't be a surprise that far-right extremist groups are full of stupid, emotional drama.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.thedailybeast.com/russian-state-tv-just-declared-war-on-arnold-schwarzenegger

Arnie struck a bunch of nerves.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Some incredible quotes in that article:

quote:

Schwarzenegger, who killed three million Russians in his films,

quote:

Russia's special military operation does not aim to destroy the Ukrainian people. It is aimed at the neo-Nazi Skynet

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Arnowned

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1506008584005595136?s=20&t=HP0RIhNMyy2eOyHc1iSjXA

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

EasilyConfused posted:

After everything we've seen over the past three weeks or so, the Russians losing it over Arnie is somehow still surprising.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Is that a loving onion field lol

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Soul Dentist posted:

Is that a loving onion field lol

Looks like a Russian supply depot to me.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arnie continues to own.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

EasilyConfused posted:

quote:

“Arnie, you are a predator and an enemy.”
no Arnie, you be Predator

did arnold ever actually fight russians in any of his movies? I dare say by playing them in Red Heat he gave life to a net gain of movie russians

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

no Arnie, you be Predator

did arnold ever actually fight russians in any of his movies? I dare say by playing them in Red Heat he gave life to a net gain of movie russians

Predator actually.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Arnie hasn't killed but maybe 400 people in movies. 30 million russians is such a goddamn stretch that it's only possible if you merge the infinite ammo perk scenes in Commando with the opening to Enemy at the Gates, and looped it to run for months.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

NightGyr posted:

Wounded doesn't mean combat ineffective. Could be minor and back in the fight.

Just to note that in a perverse way, having such a lopsided dead:wounded ratio (1:1.6, vs something 1:>10 for US in Iraq & Afganistan) implies that the people in the wounded column are in better shape. If you have working battlefield trauma system, you'd have a lot more wounded for every dead guy. Since they don't, their most severely wounded people are all going to die.

(The numbers are probably bullshit actually, because why would some random Russian journalist know something the MoD hasn't officially released. Probably either a hack or the journalist pulled something out of his rear end as a protest.)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Unless they thought the Terminator personally launched the nukes, in which case 30mil is way low

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
In the Last Action Hero there's proof that there is alternate universes. In this lecture series Wendy's drive through line I will attempt to explain how the physical nature of Arnold "killing Russians" can be defined on a logarithmic curve based on the Fermi paradox and furthermore a Diet Coke thank you that's all

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Xposting from Idiots on Social Media.

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1505928987230490624

:ssh:That's a Polish uniform. You can tell by the Polish flag on it. Closeup image, at least until tweet gets deleted:

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 22, 2022

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1506023330566090759

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watch all the way to the end.

https://youtu.be/7tdCxAGaRPs

:rip: Mobile War Crime/40K knockoff

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Watch all the way to the end.

https://youtu.be/7tdCxAGaRPs

:rip: Mobile War Crime/40K knockoff

I think that’s an Azov Battalion video 😑

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Eh…We take the good with the bed. I figure anything with a black eagle is probably them.

But we can’t just not all enjoy that secondary explosion!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Eh…We take the good with the bed. I figure anything with a black eagle is probably them.

But we can’t just not all enjoy that secondary explosion!

Yeah I’m happy to see Russian poo poo getting blowed up left and right and I’ll be happy in a year or so when we get open-source footage of mysterious air strikes on Azov units/facilities. Because gently caress Russia first, gently caress Azov next.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Yeah I’m happy to see Russian poo poo getting blowed up left and right and I’ll be happy in a year or so when we get open-source footage of mysterious air strikes on Azov units/facilities. Because gently caress Russia first, gently caress Azov next.

theyre already western media darlings

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Arnie hasn't killed but maybe 400 people in movies. 30 million russians is such a goddamn stretch that it's only possible if you merge the infinite ammo perk scenes in Commando with the opening to Enemy at the Gates, and looped it to run for months.

Killing more Russians than typhoid fever. Impressive.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Predator actually.
There was only one Soviet dude in Predator, from what I remember. And I don't think it was confirmed whether he got killed or not.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jimmy Smuts posted:

There was only one Soviet dude in Predator, from what I remember. And I don't think it was confirmed whether he got killed or not.

Sven Ole with the grenade launcher .

3:52

https://youtu.be/n67mI2obO-8

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i guess arnie breaks even on russians

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1506005464852664320?t=B3Xqauy4YYdoMNOCaETbLw&s=19

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1506078026567663620?t=DcoHveqPNsJT9d5aXvjEhQ&s=19

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 22, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

that just the ukrainian defense forces logo?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

that just the ukrainian defense forces logo?

No, it's definitely an Azov logo. (it isn't the image in your post)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

A.o.D. posted:

No, it's definitely an Azov logo. (it isn't the image in your post)

ah k

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 22, 2022