Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Mr. Lobe posted:

What's the plan if your archer misses? Also, dragon fire can probably outright kill most level 2 characters. Don't get in probable line of fire.

pog boyfriend posted:

the struggle with this battle is sides aside and the arrow potentially missing aside (dragons are hard to hit!!)

Valid question/points, to which the answer is try again. We have a box full of the transporter pins, so there will be a many arrows prepared with them. Since the dragon is flying into town (or walks, doesn't really matter, though this would be notable for how weird it would be if it came in on foot) the plan is to have the archer at a high vantage point (I think we decided on a clocktower) and just let the arrows fly once in range. It also bears mention at this point that the DM had us roll up rather super-heroic characters. With racial bonuses as an elf, I'm at 20 DEX, so with the archery fighting style and the proficiency bonus I have a +9 to hit. Bounded accuracy be dammed, this is what the DM likes.

Down to the math of it, I'm only going to need a 10, which becomes a 9 once I get the bonus of a Bless spell. Assuming the dragon dashes every round (and why wouldn't it?) I'll get shots with disadvantage at 600', 440', 280' and then one round at regular range when it hits 120'. And if it is a weird dragon that decides to walk in, we'd get even more shots. I'd probably use Action Surge at the 120' range to get a second shot off. That is a minimum of five opportunities to land an arrow and on two of them I'd only need a nine or better. Others can try to shoot their bows/crossbows as well as it gets closer, but obviously they aren't built to be as ranged focused.

On the balance of probability, someone should be able to land a hit. But in the case of everyone failing to land an arrow, we have a couple of backup plans. One involves our halfling rogue popping out of a haystack and trying to pin one on the dragon like the sticky grenade in Saving Private Ryan. That shouldn't surprise the dragon as much as our characters think it will since dragons have blindsight, but they don't know that so... we as players are hoping it doesn't come to that. At the same time, the sorcerer will try to use mage hand to stick one on. This has ever more downsides than the rogue's plan, but it at least shows that everyone is willing to try.

Ultimately, we are just playing the numbers and hoping for the best. In the town, we have the benefit of being able to spread out in different directions and can achieve full cover inside the buildings. That should mitigate the breath weapon's effect since it won't be able to hit all of us at once. It would probably be ideal if the dragon did waste its breath weapon before getting teleported. It gets less good once the dragon is in melee range, yes. And certainly within the beholder's lair things probably won't go well for everyone. Someone is likely going to die, there is no doubt that an adult dragon can smoosh a level two anything with ease.

Someone brought up siege weapons in the lair, which would be ideal. The sad thing is we don't have that kind of time to prepare. A magic amulet we have that glows when in proximity to dragons (what a handy item in a campaign full of the drat things!) indicates we have mere minutes to get ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I could swear I read about gnomish clockwork armor in some 2ed book but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I've checked the Complete Fighter's handbook and the Gnome and Hallfling handbook. I have an idea for a gnome paladin and I would like to work some of that into it.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Antifreeze Head posted:

Valid question/points, to which the answer is try again.

okay drat sorry for not reading your mind and knowing all this information that you didnt bring up originally. we simply should have known what your dm was and how many pins/teleport arrows that dont require saves existed in the world, and we will do better going forward

all jokes aside though the plan seems very risky and predicated on the arrows not requiring saves and landing all the shots(the dragon has legendary resistance) but if your dm has no save teleport arrows and you have a near infinite amount of them you should be able to do that

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If it's anywhere it'll be the Krynn source book or boxset.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
please tell us more about your homebrew archer elf man and his master genius plan

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

This is like the exact opposite of the shooting a dragon bit in Discworld.

"It's a certainty, but it just might work."

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Lammasu posted:

I could swear I read about gnomish clockwork armor in some 2ed book but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I've checked the Complete Fighter's handbook and the Gnome and Hallfling handbook. I have an idea for a gnome paladin and I would like to work some of that into it.

I don't know where it originated, but it was definitely put into 3.5, although you'll need wayback machine to access the article now.

Mechanically, it could be neat to have a clockwork knight that "casts spells" by expending gadgets or power or ammo. Pneumatic cartridge-powered melee attacks are super rad.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I’ve now reached the point where all three of my original players when I got back into D&D have run or are running campaigns of my own and I couldn’t be prouder and more happy to be playing in their games, even if it does now mean I have 3 nights of D&D a week.

One is running a West Marches campaign and I am now gleefully playing a cheerful, friendly GOOlock who just wants to make the world a better place by summoning her patron so that he can enslave and/or devour us all. I’m hoping to find some magic poo poo that super fucks me up, like replacing my blood with quicksilver; additional eyes that weep black, astral ichor; a prehensile tail with a hand on the end, etc.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Reveilled posted:

I’ve now reached the point where all three of my original players when I got back into D&D have run or are running campaigns of my own and I couldn’t be prouder and more happy to be playing in their games, even if it does now mean I have 3 nights of D&D a week.

One is running a West Marches campaign and I am now gleefully playing a cheerful, friendly GOOlock who just wants to make the world a better place by summoning her patron so that he can enslave and/or devour us all. I’m hoping to find some magic poo poo that super fucks me up, like replacing my blood with quicksilver; additional eyes that weep black, astral ichor; a prehensile tail with a hand on the end, etc.

You should check out Metamorphica. Its the best D1000 mutation table I've found, highly recommended for loving you up:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/115703/The-Metamorphica-Classic-Edition

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Reveilled posted:

I'm playing an (undead?) parasite warlock at the moment and I've just magically replaced my entire face with a ham

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Reveilled posted:

I had to look up GOOlock. I never thought when I started playing in the 90s I would have to catch up on new DnD slang.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Great Old One Warlock, basically a cthulhu wizard

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Pact of the Chain warlock with Jubilex as a patron and Slimer as a familiar. Goolock all the way.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

imagine dungeons posted:

Pact of the Chain warlock with Jubilex as a patron and Slimer as a familiar. Goolock all the way.
During combat rounds play 'toxic love' from ferngully on repeat until everyone turns into tim curry.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

El Fideo posted:

This is like the exact opposite of the shooting a dragon bit in Discworld.

"It's a certainty, but it just might work."

Yes, it is a certainty to get the dragon to the beholder. We don't doubt that aspect as we have it covered by in-game plausibility that gets the DM past just having to wave his hands and make it happen. The uncertainty is who will win between the beholder in its lair (with whatever help a round or two that five level two characters can provide) and an adult red dragon. Moose King thinks the dragon wins, I don't, but does anyone else have a guess?

Reveilled posted:

I’m hoping to find some magic poo poo that super fucks me up, like replacing my blood with quicksilver; additional eyes that weep black, astral ichor; a prehensile tail with a hand on the end, etc.

If you're looking for inspiration, check the tables in Dungeon Crawl Classics. There are about a dozen pages things that can go wrong, plus specific mishaps that can happen for every spell.

Lammasu posted:

Arms and Equipment Guide? I can check my copy if you don't have access to one.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Antifreeze Head posted:

Anyone have some thoughts on how the outcomes of a battle between a Beholder and an Adult Red Dragon would play out?

Thoughts on who wins?

I'm glad the DM is gonna let you control the beholder because otherwise, this would be a snooze where you guys get to watch the DM roll dice and have a neat fight with himself.

As for who wins, my money is on the dragon because it's tougher and I think losing your beholder boss and getting either a new boss or a new enemy is the more interesting outcome.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Beholder disintegrates dragon in the first round for the most anticlimactic fight ever

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Beholder disintegrates dragon in the first round for the most anticlimactic fight ever

Legendary resistances would like a word. 3 of them, actually

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
https://www.polygon.com/22989321/dnd-journeys-through-the-radiant-citadel-release-date-price

New book of one-shots/small adventures, all written by POC!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Lobe posted:

Do beholders not still get 1d4 eye beams per turn?

Actually petrify would be funnier

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hopefully they don’t gently caress this up like they have the previous featured works by people of colour for 5e!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Looks like a direct response to the Panzer / Orion Black drama

Which is cool and good

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

Hopefully they don’t gently caress this up like they have the previous featured works by people of colour for 5e!

Wasn't there an adventure where the author had some frog or crab men with an interesting unique culture and politics, but the white editor changed them into a tribe of savages

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Wasn't there an adventure where the author had some frog or crab men with an interesting unique culture and politics, but the white editor changed them into a tribe of savages

Yeah, Graeme Barber's Book of Cylinders in Candlekeep Mysteries.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rutibex posted:

You should check out Metamorphica. Its the best D1000 mutation table I've found, highly recommended for loving you up:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/115703/The-Metamorphica-Classic-Edition

Antifreeze Head posted:

If you're looking for inspiration, check the tables in Dungeon Crawl Classics. There are about a dozen pages things that can go wrong, plus specific mishaps that can happen for every spell.

Thanks both for the recommendations!

imagine dungeons posted:

My character is a librarian who had a mishap with a misfiled book that put her in contact with a banished, twisted primordial, which rewrote her terminal goals in life from "have a nice quiet life" to "return my patron to the world to permit his dominance over all things" without changing her friendly, cheerful personality. Since she was a victim of an accident and someone else's negligence, it was judged immoral to lock her up or execute her, unworkable to allow her to stay at the library, and unfair to just kick her out onto the street. So to minimise the pull that her patron has on her, she's been exiled to a newly discovered mostly uninhabited continent while the book that turned her has been buried deep within the most secure vault of the magical library she worked at, where it should have been all along. This was the fairest, most compassionate option they could think of. With an ocean of distance between her and the book, it should minimise how dangerous she is to herself and others.

Y'know, until she hits level 3, snaps her fingers and summons that book of shadows straight into her hands.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do beholders not still get 1d4 eye beams per turn?

Actually petrify would be funnier

they get a lot of eye beams per turn but the DCs are relatively low(16 last i checked) and due to the beams being random beholder fights are very rng. some of the beams are weak, some destroy. dragon vs beholder is a comically rng filled fight to the point where i have no idea how you determine who wins

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pog boyfriend posted:

they get a lot of eye beams per turn but the DCs are relatively low(16 last i checked) and due to the beams being random beholder fights are very rng. some of the beams are weak, some destroy. dragon vs beholder is a comically rng filled fight to the point where i have no idea how you determine who wins

Beholders have near genius level intelligence by default. They would not go on a frontal assult into a dragons den. They would disintegrate the stone above it and collapse the chamber or manipulate a group of hapless adventurers to attack it for them

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Beholders have near genius level intelligence by default. They would not go on a frontal assult into a dragons den. They would disintegrate the stone above it and collapse the chamber or manipulate a group of hapless adventurers to attack it for them

in the scenario presented the beholder is luring the dragon into its area where it will then fight the dragon in 1 on 1 contact. you are correct that a beholder when played appropriately wouldnt do this, but this beholder is.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Maybe this beholder is "good aligned" because it suffered some brain damage.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

Maybe this beholder is "good aligned" because it suffered some brain damage.

INT is usually a dump stat. Most adventures are good aligned. Therefore being good gives you brain damage.

It all checks out!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Pulling the old Reverse Sorbo.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Antifreeze Head posted:

Arms and Equipment Guide? I can check my copy if you don't have access to one.
Yes! It's the gnomish leather workman's armor. I owe you a life debt.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pog boyfriend posted:

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

According to the D&D Beyond blurb. This book will feature 11 completely new monsters. Brand new monsters have been pretty rare.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Mr. Lobe posted:

And it's just 10d8 damage on a failed save anyway.

Drewjitsu posted:

INT is usually a dump stat. Most adventures are good aligned. Therefore being good gives you brain damage.

It all checks out!

And all the best wizards from D&D fiction, the only dudes who need INT, are evil as gently caress.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Arivia posted:

Yeah, Graeme Barber's Book of Cylinders in Candlekeep Mysteries.

Barber definitely objected to the addition of the charged term "primitive" in the published version of his adventure, but he was also displeased by the removal of the older lore he attempted to reintroduce to the Forgotten Realms through his adventure (The ancient Days of Thunder era of Toril's history, the various reptilian Creator Races, and the multi-faceted World Serpent deity) because he is a passionate fan of settings with expansive lore. I'm curious to see his reaction to the new Radiant Citadel book, especially since he just recently released a review of the Mwangi Expanse sourcebook for Pathfinder 2E that praises it and the Golarion (aka Lost Omens) setting in general for the setting's expansive history and lore.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm a relative newcomer to DnD, with one of my best friends deciding at the start of the pandemic he wanted to DM and setting up a game for a bunch of old school friends which we've been playing online via roll20 for nearly 2 years now. He started with Phandelver and moved onto Storm King's Thunder with a healthy amount of homebrewed stuff mixed in and it's been great, especially as a way of keeping in touch when it was impossible physically.

Now I have a few friends locally who have expressed an interest in playing for the first time and I've volunteered my own services as DM. Knowing this, my DM friend who just visited me for my birthday got me the Essentials Kit and I'm excited to get going. My main concern is about the practicalities of running it in person.

Having used roll20 until now, as a player it's been an invaluable resource and very immersive to have line of sight, fog of war etc on the battlemaps, and also the character sheets to take care of a lot of the nitty gritty with stats and proficiencies etc. It made it more accessible and took away a lot of the initial confusion when I was starting out. However I'm sure having physical character sheets and having to keep track of that stuff yourself could probably help some players to better engage with their characters and learn the rules a little quicker. Here I think I'll leave it up to my players if they want to go physical or use an app or something (fight club 5 looks like the best one right?)

From a DM perspective, having digital battlemaps just seems better for a number of reasons, chief among them being time, effort, and waste - I already have an inkarnate subscription with my friend, and obviously there's scads of maps etc already available online. I know I could make something that looks a whole lot better a lot quicker digitally than if I were to go the old school route of making physical maps, and then I can better spend my time on planning scenarios and writing NPCs etc.

tl;dr: What's the best way of doing digital maps with a physical group? I'm planning on hosting the sessions at my place, with a big TV in decent viewing range of my table. It's hooked up to a PC but if possible I'd rather use my iPad mirrored to the screen so I can still sit at the table with my group instead of going over to the PC desk. I've found an app called Encounter+, does anyone have any experience with it? It looks like it's pretty much exactly what I want and it has a free trial I can do to get the hang of it, I just wanted to check if anyone has any better suggestions before I do.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Antifreeze Head posted:

Anyone have some thoughts on how the outcomes of a battle between a Beholder and an Adult Red Dragon would play out?

Side A: Beholder in Lair, level 2 Fighter (ranged, a.k.a. me), level 2 Cleric (Life domain), level 2 Rogue (halfling), level 2 Warlock (eldritch blast specialist in the making), level 2 Sorcerer (has magic missile).

Side B: Adult Red Dragon.

Thoughts on who wins?

There's actually a website that attempts to be a D&D combat simulator I've been making a lot of use of lately called dndcombat.com. I like to have at least a ball park estimate of how a fight will go and if it will be a challenge. Plus it's good for simulating NPC battles like, for example, a battle between a goristro and 50 skeletons would play out (I'm thinking of letting the players in my campaign find a goristro in an Iron Flask that they could unleash on a skeleton army).

Here's what I got when I put in something akin to your hypothetical scenario: https://www.dndcombat.com/dndcombat/Welcome.do?fight=XMTRI

party won 56% of the time
average casualties when the party wins:
5 die 12% of the time
4 die 20% of the time
3 die 4% of the time
2 die 24% of the time
1 die 16% of the time
nobody dies 24% of the time

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 23, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Our DM pulled the most magnificent DM move; bamboozling us players against all expectation.

So we have our first round of the tournament where a player participates; we have a new player, who I'll call Sam. Who joined us recently; they had participating in our "one shot" not!Strahd's campaign but indicated they might be interested in the main campaign; and lo and behold after a few weeks
if I remember correctly Sam appears, introduces their character and we get right well along. They're fun to watch doing their RP because the person is EXTREMELY Bostonite and they lay it on thick.

We've played for I think like 2 months? As we enter the new arc for the campaign; there's a train ride and Agathe Cristie murder mystery; and then the preliminaries for the tournament, a PUBG elimination round, all of this takes about a month; and all of our sessions are like 8 hours. So its a long time comparatively speaking to get to know the new player and their character.

During this time for the build up for the tournament, there's a big bad scary character who is introduced; basically a BBEG, and during the preliminaries clearly are overpowering their opponents, they're very scary.

When the proper 1v1's start and we see the proper tournament schedule and who is going to be battling who for the first round oh no! The new player whose barely played DnD and isn't really used to their character is up first against the BBEG! Oh no! :gonk:

So we the party, get together, we buy items, we bonk heads and consider strategies; we buy very nasty poisons, and we get NPCs to cast buffs on them; everything to even the odds and get them a chance at winning. Normally we probably wouldn't do this for regular players for NPC matches but there's a staggering one sidedness here that we're trying to rectify.

They're giving it good, they manage to mostly succeed at keeping their distance at first but make a misstep where in going around their opponent (Who I'll refer to as Magog) accidentally close the distance that lets Magog just walk up to them and start punching!

This blows through at least two death saves, they pull out the death sword I gave them (it's a one time use, I was saving it for a boss fight but this seemed like a good time to use it) and manage to strike surely and true! But it is not enough, and Magog kills them :(

But then, in a shocking moment which I found to be VERY STRANGE at the time; the DM asks them "How do you want to do this?" giving them the chance to say how the NPC kills them? That's very weird; and then Sam RP's as Magog, indicating how Magog kills Sam's character in a very permanent way.

Then in this moment of confusion the DM reveals that Sam was meant to be playing Magog all along!!! They were never meant from the very beginning to play as Sam! But they were meant to be our antagonist this story arc instead!!! :aaa:

Incredible! Our minds were collectively blown! The shocking twist! And hilarious we almost ruined it in that our help came very close to letting "Sam" beat Magog! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Does anyone do voices for their characters? When I first played I tried and the Dm was like, "Knock it off. You sound like one of those guys that kills their family because their character died". It was the 90s.