Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Lack of NDS square taper crank arms that weren't meant for 68mm sized spindles?
Funny you mentioned that. It has two left cranks and two left pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Presumably a skip would be a broken tooth somewhere on the crown and/or bevel gears

Post pics, very curious to see what the inside of those things look like, and if there's any plastic parts in there

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Hadlock posted:

I know driveshaft bikes are frowned upon as they have ~85% power transfer vs ~96% efficiency of a chain

Why aren't driveshafts more popular for ebikes? Battery prices are low enough now to make up for the ~11% drivetrain efficiency loss, I would think. Seems like with a 3 speed internal hub, sealed driveshaft system and coaster brake you could get 5k-7000 miles between tune ups?

I would never want to ride an e-bike with only a coaster brake! Maybe drum brakes, but not the old pedal-backwards style!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Every so often I think I want a coaster brake bike

But I live in such a hilly area that I need the quick flick backwards into a power pedal position so alas I shall never have it

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Since I’ve been training for half the winter on my new SB20, I kind of want to get a power meter for my road bike(s). One of them is an Ultegra crankset, Stages has remanufactured left side R8000 meters in stock, but I seem to recall some discussion about Ultegra power meters being not so great. Or was that the meters from Shimano themselves?

My other bike is a FSA BB30 crank so that one is going to be a bit more expensive.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The left side tends to be better than the right side, but it's the design of the crank arms that's the main issue not the design of the power meter per se.

On shimano, the best and most accurate dual sided power meters are pedal based. I use Favero's offering(s), and aside from them being a bit spinny when clipping in they're light, accurate and easy to use. Pedal power meters are also trivially easy to switch between bikes, so the FSA crank set is not an issue there unless you're wedded to your current pedals.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I was originally going to go that route, but I ride both bikes fairly frequently so I’d want two sets of pedals. I keep one bike in the office and ride it every morning. The other bike is weekend riding or for rides on my day off / when I work from home. I’ve tried the “carry equipment back and forth” thing and always ended up just buying two of everything since I’d invariably end up getting home and realizing I left my lights at work for the weekend.

I ride SPD pedals, is Garmin pretty much the only game in town there?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You can also hack the Assiomas, but it's a hack rather than officially supported.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LordOfThePants posted:

I seem to recall some discussion about Ultegra power meters being not so great. Or was that the meters from Shimano themselves?
A power meter estimates force based on how much the crank arm flexes under where it's attached.
You can get an accurate estimate if the shape of the arm can be well approximated with a mathematical model. So the more beamlike it is, the better the approximation will work. Non-drive side cranks work pretty well here, so Stages has a relatively easy job of it.

When you're measuring strain on a driveside crankarm shaped like this:

The model simply can't give you an accurate number at all points around the pedal stroke -- the asymmetrical spider arms will stiffen and reduce flex in ways that vary from person to person depending on pedaling motion. So Shimano fudged the estimation function and just let it ride, leading to high single digit % errors.

LordOfThePants posted:

I ride SPD pedals, is Garmin pretty much the only game in town there?

There's SRM: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/03/srm-x-spd-power-meter-in-depth-review.html
And some less established brands.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 22, 2022

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
The SRAM rival power meter is pretty affordable if you're not looking for serious-business dual side power meters.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dog Case posted:

Lol at kids bikes being "understressed" like they're not gonna be repeatedly rammed into curbs trying to learn to bunny hop or jumped off of anything and everything
Yeah but they're getting rammed into curbs at 15kph instead of 40, with a 25kg rider instead of 75.
The things that get stressed are bar ends (get beefy or sacrificial ones), saddle wings, etc.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is there a cheaper or more realistic option to get a 165mm Rival 1x XPLR groupset than to buy a $2k State 4130 bike and take it off? Even grey market SRAM is either not available, especially the brifters, or marked up pretty substantially.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Samopsa posted:

I would say most dutch style city bikes fit "Toyota level reliability". 30+ year old bikes still running fine with minimal maintenance. Especially those with a fully enclosed chain protector, no gearing (or 3 internal gears), and back-pedaling brakes. The only thing that'll need fixing are tires wearing out or getting punctures.

For modern e-bikes a belt driven internally geared one should also last a long time without much maintenance at all. A yearly checkup should be plenty, just like with a Toyota I guess!
Omafiets'es would probably work yeah, but they're much lower relative performance than toyotas :D and most of them are in really dire condition.

I have a bike with a belt and an IGH and grenaded the IGH in under 6 months. If I'd spent rohloff money instead of shimano di2 money it probably would have been fine I guess :/ But that's more Land Cruiser than Toyota.

EvilJoven posted:

Also chain protector doesn't do really anything all to lengthen the life of a chain it just hides the fact that it's rusty as gently caress and needs lubing. It's the fact that it's a heavy as all gently caress single speed chain and there's no wear enduced drop in shifting performance that makes it last longer.
I agree with pretty much everything but full chain cases both prevent grease from getting on you (so you can grease away and the only downside is an efficiency loss you'll never notice instead of ruined pants every day) and weather/particles from washing/gumming away the grease (so you can lube them once in a blue moon and they're fine).
Modern, full featured dutch bikes with gears and front brakes and suspended saddles and poo poo break alllllll the time. The older ones are reliable because there's nothing to go wrong.

dema posted:

Sup dog.
YES

Hadlock posted:

I know driveshaft bikes are frowned upon as they have ~85% power transfer vs ~96% efficiency of a chain

Why aren't driveshafts more popular for ebikes? Battery prices are low enough now to make up for the ~11% drivetrain efficiency loss, I would think. Seems like with a 3 speed internal hub, sealed driveshaft system and coaster brake you could get 5k-7000 miles between tune ups?
drive shafts require and turbo-stiff housing to work, and that makes the bikes not only inefficient but also expensive and uncomfortable (I guess).

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 22, 2022

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Is there a cheaper or more realistic option to get a 165mm Rival 1x XPLR groupset than to buy a $2k State 4130 bike and take it off? Even grey market SRAM is either not available, especially the brifters, or marked up pretty substantially.

Having just done this, no, there is not. I ended up paying well over MSRP to get my shifters, because I am dumb and impatient.

Edit to clarify: I did the 'just buy the groupset' and should've bought the whole bike.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Head Bee Guy posted:

Looking for a new saddle to replace the one that came on my 2020 giant contend 3. Even with decent chamois/bike shorts my taint and sitbones take a beating after only about 20 miles.

For reference, I’ve a twig & berries and fairly narrow hips

I was thinking of picking up a Bontrager sports saddle with my REI coupon, but looking for other suggestions (as long as it’s under $80)

Fabric scoop radius all day long

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Can you find an even cheaper off brand / old model / tiny person sized TT bike to take the groupset off?

I only mention the latter because I’ve seen 105 and Ultegra groupset Cannondale TT bikes (old model, 40 something frame size ) for like £500-600. Not gonna work for a 1x groupset, but there could be some old stock in a shop somewhere in a weird size (or with a poo poo fork) that’s on sale.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I assumed LLH specifically wanted AXS XPLR.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Correct. My CX bike is getting long in the tooth (QR Disc, post mount) so a $2k state bike for the groupset and a $600 open mold frame seems pretty reasonable.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

If you are not super pressed for time, I was able to get 2 full rival groupsets, one in October after waiting 6 weeks, and another in early February having placed the order Xmas week.

Everything says sold out, but the backorders don't take all that long.

edit: I haven't put together the 2nd gruppo, maybe I should just sell it to thirsty ebay-ers.

osker fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 23, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

osker posted:

If you are not super pressed for time, I was able to get 2 full rival groupsets, one in October after waiting 6 weeks, and another in early February having placed the order Xmas week.

Everything says sold out, but the backorders don't take all that long.

edit: I haven't put together the 2nd gruppo, maybe I should just sell it to thirsty ebay-ers.

Where did you order the whole groupset from?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Where did you order the whole groupset from?

The first go-round I got it from Colorado Cyclist -- whatever estimates they give you are pulled from their rear end. poo poo eventually shows up.

The second go-round I got it from RJ Bradley (they are just a nice shop in MA that lets you order from their distributor) and Backcountry (I know we shouldn't order from them but they had some random bits I needed to round out the gruppo).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Phwoar I found a singular Force Xplr groupset somehow in stock at a bike shop for MSRP. We’ll see if it actually exists and ships.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I had good luck buying a most of force etap groupset from Colorado cyclist. "Had" to buy quarq red though to find 175 crank in stock

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

osker posted:

and Backcountry (I know we shouldn't order from them but they had some random bits I needed to round out the gruppo).

Is Backcountry on the bad list now? I thought they were reliable.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Is Backcountry on the bad list now? I thought they were reliable.

People got angry at them when they were suing other businesses using the word "backcountry" in their name, but it seems they realized they hosed up with that and have been legit making amends, so I don't know if there's a ton of reason to hold it against them anymore. Here's the story: https://coloradosun.com/2020/11/23/backcountry-com-delivering-on-reparations-year-after-trademark-bullying/

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 23, 2022

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
If you’re going to boycott a national outdoor retailer, REI would be a great choice.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I had a Retül bike fit today. There were a bunch of changes, the biggest of which was probably going from my standard Giant 440mm handlebars to a PRO PLT Compact Ergo 400mm. Went for my usual 23 mile training ride straight after and beat my old PR by nearly 3 minutes which is obviously all down to the new fit and has absolutely nothing to do with anything else. Feels good! I can list the rest of the changes if anyone's interested, but I'm mostly posting to say that my initial and perhaps premature impression is that the whole experience was worthwhile, even as someone who (falsely?) thought my position was decent enough beforehand - I was actually doubting whether I should have the fit at all. The new handlebars feel so much better though, I never expected the difference to be this noticeable :D

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Lex Neville posted:

I had a Retül bike fit today. There were a bunch of changes, the biggest of which was probably going from my standard Giant 440mm handlebars to a PRO PLT Compact Ergo 400mm. Went for my usual 23 mile training ride straight after and beat my old PR by nearly 3 minutes which is obviously all down to the new fit and has absolutely nothing to do with anything else. Feels good! I can list the rest of the changes if anyone's interested, but I'm mostly posting to say that my initial and perhaps premature impression is that the whole experience was worthwhile, even as someone who (falsely?) thought my position was decent enough beforehand - I was actually doubting whether I should have the fit at all. The new handlebars feel so much better though, I never expected the difference to be this noticeable :D

Did they increase your reach along with the narrower bars?

Going narrower is absolutely the easiest change anyone can make to go faster on a bike - cool that you saw changes so immediately!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lex Neville posted:

the biggest of which was probably going from my standard Giant 440mm handlebars to a PRO PLT Compact Ergo 400mm.

:hahayes:

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

bicievino posted:

Did they increase your reach along with the narrower bars?

Going narrower is absolutely the easiest change anyone can make to go faster on a bike - cool that you saw changes so immediately!

Yeah! Basically, my entire position is much more aggressive, because planking daily works who knew

I used paint to make an image of all the changes because I have nothing better to do and/or am high on endorphins. Old values on top, new ones below. NB: the old saddle angle was inaccurate; my seat came loose out riding last Saturday so I quickly tightened it and afterwards guesstimated its old position, which could very well have been -7, -8 or -10°, definitely not more level than -6° though. Each of these values had an optimal range for my measurements, but I will receive those by email at a later date. Also note that the grip width says something slightly different on the sheet I received, so that value might be off. On mine it basically says handlebar width, but the 432 mm is what the fit tool read rather than the 440 mm my old handlebars actually are / were supposed to be.

e: Interestingly, I've been riding for 3 years and never had any knee issues until a few weeks ago. Just the one knee, and very minor at that. I started messing around with my seat height for the first time ever and ended up moving it up by about 7 mm, which I thought was a lot. Then today, it went up another 8 mm, whoops..

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 23, 2022

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hell yeah zoom zoom

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Getting some new stuff together, ready for it to stop raining

Jackson Polack
Feb 13, 2018
Sorry to cross post but wanted to sound out whether this used Scott Solace 20 with rim brakes is good value for 1500 aud? The big bike stores are otherwise out of 11-speed bikes my size with drop handle bars. Use case is primarily on a direct drive trainer but would be nice to know Im spending my money in the right direction. First road bike ever!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1950626015128426/

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Dog Case posted:

Getting some new stuff together, ready for it to stop raining

What are those sunglasses? They would match my new shoes pretty well.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

jamal posted:

What are those sunglasses? They would match my new shoes pretty well.

Cheap junk https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08X344R4Z?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

They say polarized but it's only the plain gray lens. Also lots of reviews that say the frame is easy to break when changing lenses. I only really wanted the blue shiny lens anyway so :shrug: They might be an Oakley knockoff since they came in an Oakley style case

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Lex Neville posted:

e: Interestingly, I've been riding for 3 years and never had any knee issues until a few weeks ago. Just the one knee, and very minor at that. I started messing around with my seat height for the first time ever and ended up moving it up by about 7 mm, which I thought was a lot. Then today, it went up another 8 mm, whoops..

Make sure to ease into it.

My knees and power output like a higher saddle but then my lower back starts to bug me.

Oh well, this is all temporary.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How is grip angle measured? Is the line the flat part of the hoods?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I'm not 100% what you mean by flat, but I believe it's the angle between the incline or slope of the hoods and levelness. I think that's what you're saying, so yes

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lex Neville posted:

I'm not 100% what you mean by flat, but I believe it's the angle between the incline or slope of the hoods and levelness. I think that's what you're saying, so yes

Got it. And yeah, the "flat" i mentioned is the dashed line in the graphic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

31° hood angle seems like a lot.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 24, 2022