Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Luneshot posted:

Did the line discharge by arcing to the rock when it was still in the air (and then into the ground), because the rock gave it a conductive “halfway point” that it normally wouldn’t have?

There is a copper wire tied around the rock and grounded to the Earth. The rock is a heavy weight to get the copper to the line, when then faults down the thin wire and evaporates it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

insta posted:

There is a copper wire tied around the rock and grounded to the Earth. The rock is a heavy weight to get the copper to the line, when then faults down the thin wire and evaporates it.

You can do something very similar with an Estes model rocket and a big spool of super fine magnet wire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34NpyA2OuaE

Stormy days can become a lot more exciting, and you can have fun making bespoke pieces of Fulgurite.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

You can do something very similar with an Estes model rocket and a big spool of super fine magnet wire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34NpyA2OuaE

Stormy days can become a lot more exciting, and you can have fun making bespoke pieces of Fulgurite.

This is so much cooler than some nerd tying a key to a kite

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Britian used this method to sabotage continental Europe's power grid during WW2: Operation Outward.

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 21, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

drat that's awesome, I'm glad I didn't know about that idea as a kid or I would've moved on from making simple dangerously exploding model rockets.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/AcXqJ97.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Slip'n'Slayed

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

insta posted:

Oh, I didn’t realize the rock had a trailing wire- I thought it was just a rock covered in copper foil or something, and the potential difference between the lines and the ground was so high that just throwing a well-placed conductor was enough to trigger arcing mid-air. A grounded wire makes far more sense for inducing the reaction we see in the video.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Hygiene posted:

drat that's awesome, I'm glad I didn't know about that idea as a kid or I would've moved on from making simple dangerously exploding model rockets.

Michael Crichton wrote a book about how climate change was made up and had evil ecoterrorists using them to make fake weather.

I'm just going to assume he started making hats as a hobby at some point after his career took off.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/GBv3F7G.mp4

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Michael Crichton wrote a book about how climate change was made up and had evil ecoterrorists using them to make fake weather.

I'm just going to assume he started making hats as a hobby at some point after his career took off.

Wanna read "Jurassic Park but with OSHA"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
uuuh

https://twitter.com/willripleyCNN/status/1506060975568523272?s=20&t=qGo-a5NzibhLj_EH1Rigwg

it was diving like that for two minutes

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Log082 posted:

Wanna read "Jurassic Park but with OSHA"

It's a standing desk, I know this.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I don't think planes is supposed to be erect like that....

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The crash site looks like a pile of dirt, the thing basically just planted itself

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Azhais posted:

The crash site looks like a pile of dirt, the thing basically just planted itself

"augered in"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They're was actually two bad accidents yesterday, a ferry in Bangladesh got plowed under by a container ship and 50 some died, along with the 130 something in the plane. I thought about linking em but the ferry video is pretty bad since there was another boat pacing it the whole time

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

can a mechanical failure cause that? i don't know anything but it looks like a pilot suicide

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is the most Australian video I have ever seen.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

With a big enough rocket you don't even need the wire; Apollo 12 got hit by lightning during launch because it was laying down a conductive trail of rocket exhaust straight back to the launch tower.

hemale in pain posted:

can a mechanical failure cause that? i don't know anything but it looks like a pilot suicide

Mechanical failure to the degree of "tail just fell off" definitely can.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Platystemon posted:

This is the most Australian video I have ever seen.

It's true, the only reason you can tell it's not Canada is how wet it is.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Mechanical failure to the degree of "tail just fell off" definitely can.

I think someone already mentioned a problem with the stabilizer in the tail like Flight 261

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

immediate mention of beoing stock shares

what model plane was it? did they pay for their MAX upgrade thingy

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

KoRMaK posted:

immediate mention of beoing stock shares

what model plane was it? did they pay for their MAX upgrade thingy

737-800, it doesn't have MCAS like the MAX version that had two crashes.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

interesting

is 800 more than MAX

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

looks to me like this hippo is accustomed to being hit...may have been born in captivity. i simultaneously love and hate zoos.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I think someone already mentioned a problem with the stabilizer in the tail like Flight 261

From Bloomberg:

quote:

Instead of gradually dropping by a few thousand feet per minute -- which produces a barely detectable sensation for passengers -- it began falling at more than 30,000 feet (9,144 meters) per minute within seconds, according to tracking data logged by Flightradar24.

Overall, it plunged almost 26,000 feet (7,924.8 meters) in the span of roughly 1 minute, 35 seconds, the data track showed.

The plane’s dive appeared to have halted for about 10 seconds and it climbed briefly, adding an unusual twist to the scenario. But the Flightradar24 track, which is based on radio transmissions from the plane, then showed it resuming a steep plunge.

Given that strange period where it stopped diving, gained altitude and then dove again - could that figure with a mechanical issue or rule out that possibility?

more:

quote:

It’s possible to come up with many scenarios for some type of malfunction, pilot miscues or some combination that led to the plunge, Berman said.

But none of them seem very likely. He echoed what Cox and Guzzetti said: The 737-800, like other jetliners, is designed so that it won’t normally dive at steep angles.

That means it would likely take an extreme effort by a pilot or a highly unusual malfunction, he said.

Many things can cause at least the start of a dive -- from a pilot suffering a heart attack and slumping onto the control column to a failure of the motor used to help raise and lower the nose. But they would tend to be more short-lived or there are easy ways for pilots to counteract such failures, he said.

“You need something to hold the nose down,” Berman said.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

jesus christ that must have felt terrible not just falling but being accelerated towards the ground

pilot suicide?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
With Flight 261 the mechanical failure was not total until the pilots really fought with it at the end. Before that they were basically flying a roller coaster but when the stabilizer completely failed after they raised it to the max it broke loose and they went inverted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2A_fsx7prY

Don't watch this unless you want youtub to just bombard you with plane crash videos.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mozi posted:

Given that strange period where it stopped diving, gained altitude and then dove again - could that figure with a mechanical issue or rule out that possibility?

I'd be cautious about using those flight tracking websites to make any kind of analysis like that without some other corroboration. They don't really have the detailed granularity and accuracy to identify very rapid changes, and I've seen some very extravagant claims made in previous incidents based on what turned out to be a small data glitch. It's possible that the plane briefly leveled off, but it also could be something like a single transponder hit not being time coded correctly, or something on the aircraft not reporting correctly while operating wildly outside of its designed tolerances.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Four words explain this incident.

No Fault Workmans Comp

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

KoRMaK posted:

interesting

is 800 more than MAX

that would explain the crashing

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://twitter.com/brianemfinger/status/1506105724929286152

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*recording myself actively driving into a tornado* Man that guy just driving out of a tornado is bonkers!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think Brian Emfinger is a storm chaser.

I mean, not that he’s not bonkers, but it explains why he’s there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think Brian Emfinger is a storm chaser.

I mean, not that he’s not bonkers, but it explains why he’s there.

Basic storm chasing knowledge says that if your dashcam shows rotating debris crossing the road in front of you, you would be an idiot to keep rolling towards it. Basically, you hosed up if you're that close, and that video is a weird combination of capturing a crazy moment while also revealing that you were in a terrible position.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Chevy--Like a Rock

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

From my experiences in mosh pits, this kind of behavior nets you a couple of cracked ribs. Gonna be some weeks of very painful breathing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

StoryTime posted:

From my experiences in mosh pits, this kind of behavior nets you a couple of cracked ribs. Gonna be some weeks of very painful breathing.

The last time I had cracked ribs it was from the side airbags deploying in a car crash. It sucked - I do not recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

KoRMaK posted:

jesus christ that must have felt terrible not just falling but being accelerated towards the ground

pilot suicide?

There’s no way anyone in that plane was still conscious by the time it hit the ground right?