Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

SimonChris posted:

Yeah, procedural and declarative memories are stored separately. One of the most famous examples is the case of Clive Wearing, who suffered brain damage preventing him from remembering more than 30 seconds into the past. He still knows how to walk, talk, play music, etc., but constantly believes that he has recently awoken from coma. He has even been able to learn new skills through repetition, even though he does not remember learning them.

The "name a state" thing from Episode 1 was supposed to establish this, I think. Helly doesn't know what state she's from, but she knows what a state is and knows that Delaware is one of them.

Cojawfee posted:

All we know about Irving is that he has a bluray player and the other things from the wellness session.

Do we even know that? There's been nothing to establish that what's said in the wellness session is partially or even at all accurate.

At the very least Dylan seems to have a wildly different idea of who his outie is than who he actually is. Not sure if it's confirmed he's had a wellness session, or that exact wellness session before though.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Khanstant posted:

...surely you can see how the former would very much lead to information about the latter

But the characters are already investigating that, we don't need another side story that also does it, that's just wasted time.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

SimonChris posted:

One of the most famous examples is the case of Clive Wearing

Another famous example is Jonus Grumby who upon receiving a blow to the skull by a falling coconut believed his friends were all Japanese soldiers, but was otherwise unaffected.

Amnesia is a real danger and happens more often than you would think. Also quicksand.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

But the characters are already investigating that, we don't need another side story that also does it, that's just wasted time.

I think this is silly since it wouldn't be a side story it'll be part of the main story & mystery inherently, but anyway, we're arguing in circles. I'd wager :tenbux: I am closer to what they will have filmed than what you're hoping for.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Jerusalem posted:

In regards to Dylan stuff, it does seem that based on their reactions/fears, it seems like the code detector CAN be beaten with images/symbols after all, or at least they think it can given they took the pretty wild action of "activating" him outside of the building.

There probably isn’t a code detector. Unless I’m forgetting something, it came off more like Santa’s watching than anything real.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 21, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If there is a code detector, it apparently only picks up actual letters and not images.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah the stuff in the book implies pretty heavily that the code detectors are real and they can be fooled.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, I'm wary of relying on that ebook, but they released it as part of the marketing and there's a bunch of effort put into it, so there has to be some truth in the pages. I'm cautiously taking it as canon until the show directly contradicts it.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I've spent too much time thinking about how Devon and Rickon couldn't contact Mark when she went into labor during the workday. It doesn't make sense to me that there would be no way, like a special company phone number for family members, to contact Lumon in an emergency and have them bring the innie up early, and regardless of whether such a system exists or not, I feel like they would all be aware of whether Mark would be able to receive such a message or not.

Being completely cut off from emergency communication (such as "Your loved one was in a car accident and is on their deathbed at the hospital") all day every workday is not an insignificant burden (Dylan is okay being out of touch if something happened to his kid, for example?), and I don't think Lumen would impose that on people they're recruiting for severance unless it was totally necessary. I doubt this will be addressed, it just bothers the part of my brain obsessed with logistical detail.

Re: discussion of Helly's name, I'm almost certain that someone said Helena in one episode, maybe when Cobel was getting reamed by the Board.

Have we ever seen a picture of Gemma? If not, I feel like there must be a reason. Completely baseless theory: Gemma is Helly, and Mark was severed again so as to somehow think she's dead and not recognize her.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Propaniac posted:

I've spent too much time thinking about how Devon and Rickon couldn't contact Mark when she went into labor during the workday. It doesn't make sense to me that there would be no way, like a special company phone number for family members, to contact Lumon in an emergency and have them bring the innie up early, and regardless of whether such a system exists or not, I feel like they would all be aware of whether Mark would be able to receive such a message or not.
Possibly there is a way to reach severed workers for emergencies, but it's up to the company to determine what constitutes an emergency and if they don't think the situation warrants it they'll just tell you to wait till the end of the workday.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Propaniac posted:

Have we ever seen a picture of Gemma? If not, I feel like there must be a reason. Completely baseless theory: Gemma is Helly, and Mark was severed again so as to somehow think she's dead and not recognize her.

This theory makes outie Helly like double stone-cold, that's a severe divorce, but that would be a good mindfuck haha

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Propaniac posted:

Being completely cut off from emergency communication (such as "Your loved one was in a car accident and is on their deathbed at the hospital") all day every workday is not an insignificant burden (Dylan is okay being out of touch if something happened to his kid, for example?), and I don't think Lumen would impose that on people they're recruiting for severance unless it was totally necessary. I doubt this will be addressed, it just bothers the part of my brain obsessed with logistical detail.

An employees sister going into labor probably doesn't count as an emergency.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think Cobell would just let everything go to voicemail purely to spite Mark.

She's going to have a meltdown when she realises that Rickon's book has inspired an uprising, and that it's all her fault. Just putting the two of them together in a small space is gonna lead to some amazing fireworks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Propaniac posted:

I think he would have just forgotten she existed not just what she looks like.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think Cobell would just let everything go to voicemail purely to spite Mark.

She's going to have a meltdown when she realises that Rickon's book has inspired an uprising, and that it's all her fault. Just putting the two of them together in a small space is gonna lead to some amazing fireworks.

Arguably not Cobell's fault as much as Milicik, since he's the one who was told to get rid of the book and left it in the conference room. Since he and Cobell aren't severed they both rolled their eyes at it and probably didn't even think about how revolutionary even the most basic and badly written self help book would be to someone who's never read a book before.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Isn't it on her for taking it downstairs and then not bringing it back? She's kinda a terrible spy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I really don't get how Lumon successfully runs this place. Presumably severing has been going on for a while, did they not consider what would happen in a scenario where the workers united? They seemingly have no security whatsoever or even any staff beyond Cobel, Milchick, the therapist, and the other guy. They didn't have any protocols in place to prevent suicide. What would happen if Mark decided that he didn't want to go into the loving break room? Does the chip have like a snooze button that just allows them to incapacitate everyone immediately if something really bad happens? Erase their memories? I feel like they should have a whole team of handlers ready to deal with any outie issues like Petey or whatever the gently caress they're doing with the baby, but is this tiny middle-aged lady doing infiltration work really the thing that is going to keep the company safe?

It really makes the whole thing feel like the Stanford prison experiment, where everything is just held together purely by belief and there's no actual power being wielded by anyone.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I mean it's impossible to say what's going well or badly when there is no idea what the goal is of anything that is happening.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

I really don't get how Lumon successfully runs this place. Presumably severing has been going on for a while, did they not consider what would happen in a scenario where the workers united? They seemingly have no security whatsoever or even any staff beyond Cobel, Milchick, the therapist, and the other guy. They didn't have any protocols in place to prevent suicide. What would happen if Mark decided that he didn't want to go into the loving break room? Does the chip have like a snooze button that just allows them to incapacitate everyone immediately if something really bad happens? Erase their memories? I feel like they should have a whole team of handlers ready to deal with any outie issues like Petey or whatever the gently caress they're doing with the baby, but is this tiny middle-aged lady doing infiltration work really the thing that is going to keep the company safe?

It really makes the whole thing feel like the Stanford prison experiment, where everything is just held together purely by belief and there's no actual power being wielded by anyone.

I feel like with a company like Lumon built on devotion to the founder with a lot of history behind it people just end up believing that none of these would ever be issues, and it's something you see all the time in real world tech companies. Well no our big revolutionary company project doesn't need these things thought about because no-one ever thinks about them happening. You saw it in Walt Disney's projects like Epcot where he never originally thought about what happens to residents of the city when they retired.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Hakkesshu posted:

The cards Devon was looking at were instructional security takedown cards, and that department said they had been making "aggressive" stuff recently. I suppose you could assume hatchets are for fires, but I'm gonna take the word of the people that were making the stuff when they themselves thought it was aggressive.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

XboxPants posted:

The cards Devon was looking at were instructional security takedown cards, and that department said they had been making "aggressive" stuff recently. I suppose you could assume hatchets are for fires, but I'm gonna take the word of the people that were making the stuff when they themselves thought it was aggressive.

What are the implications of that though? Just seems like more psychological deterrent stuff like the weird painting they planted. Surely they don't want their workers actually fighting each other with hatchets. I mean maybe they fuckin do.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Hakkesshu posted:

What are the implications of that though? Just seems like more psychological deterrent stuff like the weird painting they planted. Surely they don't want their workers actually fighting each other with hatchets. I mean maybe they fuckin do.

I assume they have a security department of possibly severed workers on hand to deal with another violent uprising.

edit: Actually they probably are severed. If they were trained security guys, they wouldn't need the cards. Only severed workers would need Babby's First Chokehold instructional cards.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 22, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

This might be the point, maybe the severed floors in each Lumon office are like the bunkers in Fallout. Each one is set up differently as a social experiment and the one we're seeing is what happens when active conflict is a potential outcome of inter-departmental rivalry.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s going to end up being God and angels and goons will have a BSG redux moment

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Edit: nm, I don't like arguing on the internet

Propaniac fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 22, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

euphronius posted:

It’s going to end up being God and angels and goons will have a BSG redux moment

If it does go that dumb it'd be in season 2, reviewers saw the entire first series and pretty much all of them say the ending is good but doesn't answer everything.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I mean this really could be an Arsenal Gear type thing where the point is really just observing these employees and ironing out their idiosyncrasies in order to tweak and tune a consumer version of severing.

The only thing that gives me pause here is that The Board seems invested in MDR making their quota, and also that short story seems to link completing files with real world accidents.

That reminds me of a Stephen King novella about a kid with mild psychic powers who's recruited by a mysterious organization to draw shapes on a computer, which they e-mail to people and causes them to commit suicide: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything%27s_Eventual_(novella)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh man, thank you. I've retold that story to a few people in the past couple years trying to jog their memory of it, but I didn't know the name or author, and I was convinced it was a short story we read in grade school like in a lit textbook. I probably just read it in class on my own lol. Feels good to have a title and confirmation it's real, I probably could've looked it up at any point from a loose description but never made it to that step, and now I feel sudden relief from a pressure I forgot I had.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Thanks to whoever mentioned Counterpart. The (early small spoiler) pandemic plotline seems now very prescient.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Cult of Kier stuff kinda reminds me of this scene in Network:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V9XeyBd_IuA

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Propaniac posted:

Mark and Helly had an outie encounter when he nearly ran her over at the end of Episode 1.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
holy motherfucking poo poo that dance party scene

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The speech Burt’s outie gives is loving hilarious. This show just gets better and better

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Propaniac posted:

LOL so close!!!!!

gently caress that was a good episode

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the start of the episode is already so exciting

edit: chekov's vomit

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

LOL so close!!!!!

lmao right? God drat that last scene, what the gently caress

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Withnail posted:

I'm guessing the 'music/dance experience' is going to be awkward af

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The whiplash in this episode is incredibly powerful

I thought the penultimate scene was going to be the last and then they WHIPLASHED ME AGAIN

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

Escobarbarian posted:

LOL so close!!!!!

Ugh, I probably won't be able to watch the new ep until at least Saturday so I don't know yet how close I apparently was with my deliberately-nonsense Gemma-is-Helly theory. Sounds like I was right to think it was notable we'd never seen a picture of Gemma? I'm going to guess they were twin sisters (and I won't be opening the thread again until I've watched it myself).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
unsurprisingly the most 70s looking person on the show has some dance moves
HOLY poo poo OMG

so huffy over one bite

Haha drat "I liked all these things about her... equally"

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 25, 2022