Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chris Knight posted:

unless you're getting it worked on.

This person does not understand project bikes and the periods of storage that entails. You could cram a whole junkyard of bikes being worked on through that loophole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Mammas, don't let your babies grow up to buy motorcycles with neon wheels.

The upside of owning wheels that suck to clean is that it really lowers your standards and the definition of "clean" becomes much easier to achieve.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I got my streetfighter ceramic coated so it's curing now for another week or so before i start pulling it out frequently. Hope it helps with washing the brake dust off the rims. poo poo was overpriced

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

FBS posted:

Mammas, don't let your babies grow up to buy motorcycles with neon wheels.

The upside of owning wheels that suck to clean is that it really lowers your standards and the definition of "clean" becomes much easier to achieve.

This is why I am no fan of chrome, total pain in the rear end to keep shiny.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Steakandchips posted:

This is why I am no fan of chrome, total pain in the rear end to keep shiny.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/d/safford-custom-chrome-hayabusa/7458848640.html

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Does Phoenix even get any rain?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

If it doesn’t get rain, it probably gets dust and pollen.

It’s Barely rained this summer, and my bike is absolutely filthy. Covered in a fine yellowey brown dusting of hayfever.

FBS posted:

My DRZs spokes are black with brake dust. After the 3rd time trying to keep them clean I’ve just given up. Considering taking the wheels off and going to town with scotchbrite, but it’ll be back soon enough.

Doesn’t help 90% of my riding now is doing Gymkhana in a parking lot dragging the rear brake.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 18, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phoenix gets heavy monsoon-like thunderstorms for two weeks a year in August. Outside of that, no.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Real chrome can do one, it always ends up looking lovely because it gets sandblasted by dust and debris and then the metal underneath rots as water finds its way in through tiny holes in the plating. As a finish it exists entirely to keep bikes looking good in the showroom before they've ever actually seen a road.

Mirror polished stainless steel, now that's the good stuff. Even after 3 years of all weather riding it only takes a few wipes with a soapy rag to get my wheel rims sparkling again (not that I bother very often lol)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 19, 2022

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Looking for a sanity check here early in the process: I'm working on attaching a Shad mounting plate to the rear rack of the Triumph. The PO's rack is already flaking chrome, so I'm not worried about protecting it, but I am worried about the case not flying off at 80mph.

The plan: Since the rack is bar-type and those bars are too fat and far apart to use in any Shad-intended way, my first approach here is to sandwich the rack between the plastic Shad plate on top and a couple 1/8" aluminum plates below using 4 bolts. Those bolts would go through the side gaps in the rack illustrated with red dots below, and the aluminum plates will be sized large enough to cover those side gaps fully.

Given the bolt positions available, the top & bottom plates will have nothing preventing front-back and side-side movement of < 1/2" within the rack's side loops, except for the clamping pressure/friction on those bars. So I'm torn as to whether it would be better to add a spongy vinyl mat layer between the bars and the topcase mount to help keep it from moving fore and aft. I'm a little afraid that it will compress and degrade over the time, leading to loose bolts.

For the aluminum plates on the underside, would 1/8" "welding tickets" for welding practice be suited for this purpose (reasonably strong, and not brittle)? I'm picturing thick aluminum plates but maybe these are the metal equivalent of MDF made from recycled mountain dew cans?

Shad mounting Plate:

Rack, probably:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 20, 2022

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Adding a cushion is overthinking it, clamp pressure will hold everything still enough. Especially if you put a little bend in the strips to make it like this kind of kit, you can have them grab the cross piece of your rack to really lock everything down.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Remy Marathe posted:

Looking for a sanity check here early in the process: I'm working on attaching a Shad mounting plate to the rear rack of the Triumph. The PO's rack is already flaking chrome, so I'm not worried about protecting it, but I am worried about the case not flying off at 80mph.

The plan: Since the rack is bar-type and those bars are too fat and far apart to use in any Shad-intended way, my first approach here is to sandwich the rack between the plastic Shad plate on top and a couple 1/8" aluminum plates below using 4 bolts. Those bolts would go through the side gaps in the rack illustrated with red dots below, and the aluminum plates will be sized large enough to cover those side gaps fully.

Given the bolt positions available, the top & bottom plates will have nothing preventing front-back and side-side movement of < 1/2" within the rack's side loops, except for the clamping pressure/friction on those bars. So I'm torn as to whether it would be better to add a spongy vinyl mat layer between the bars and the topcase mount to help keep it from moving fore and aft. I'm a little afraid that it will compress and degrade over the time, leading to loose bolts.

For the aluminum plates on the underside, would 1/8" "welding tickets" for welding practice be suited for this purpose (reasonably strong, and not brittle)? I'm picturing thick aluminum plates but maybe these are the metal equivalent of MDF made from recycled mountain dew cans?

Shad mounting Plate:

Rack, probably:

If you're attaching to steel tubing I would just grab some u-bolts if you can make them line up and don't care about the finish on the rack, but I've had no issues with Givi universal plates bolted to flat racks. Use some loctite. Monitor it for excessive vibration, vibration very very bad. Anything spongy or rubbery in there will just trap and hold water.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yesterday I did a pad swap up front, and brought home the coolant hardlines that I've been slacking off on stripping and repainting, so now I don't have the excuse of having to schlep down to my folks' garage to finish that up.

Are the brass bushings in stock levers replaceable? I noticed when doing my clutch stuff rebuild last month that the one where it's pinned through has ovaled out. It might be new levers time anyway, my brake lever is a lot more bent than I remember. Guessing that happened when I dropped it in my yard in the fall.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

Yesterday I did a pad swap up front, and brought home the coolant hardlines that I've been slacking off on stripping and repainting, so now I don't have the excuse of having to schlep down to my folks' garage to finish that up.

Are the brass bushings in stock levers replaceable? I noticed when doing my clutch stuff rebuild last month that the one where it's pinned through has ovaled out. It might be new levers time anyway, my brake lever is a lot more bent than I remember. Guessing that happened when I dropped it in my yard in the fall.

It's new lever time!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I got my topcase mount installed with the last of the daylight today, this is huge convenience-wise for me because I have outdoor bike storage and my case serves as a mobile trunk for gear and the other things you don't leave outside overnight.  Having the same mount on both bikes means no shuffling around of "bike trunk stuff".

Warning: this post contains depictions of violence against vintage aesthetics, good taste, and maybe even motorcycle heritage itself.  

First what I did TO my Triumph last week: the P.O. spent over $600 on the OEM waxed brown leather saddlebags and mounts, and they were indeed very nice looking and well made.  Not very practical for me and I don't really have that nostalgia thing, but a gorgeous used bike bonus.  Anyway I grabbed the right bag to take a quick ride one evening before putting it away, took what turned out to be a longer ride and came back to realize it was not on my bike.  I didn't honestly even remember putting it on for sure; most likely I rode off all willy-nilly without buckling the pannier.  Hopefully it didn't cause any serious trouble for drivers, but I retraced the whole prior ride and there was no trace of it.  Lost the right-hand pannier, my cover, a $110 disc lock and an assortment of bungee cords.  The VanVan has had to spend the last several days on the patio while I waited for a replacement lock.

So yeah I'll use the left saddlebag when I need more storage, but I'll hate every additional strap-buckling motion, the panniers are loving dead to me now.

For the topcase mount, today I got those "welding tickets", which do appear to be just what I needed: strongish 1/8" aluminum plates cut in the sizes I was after.  I've only recently learned to drill aluminum properly, i.e. at low speed and pressing hard to be continually biting into fresh metal, and it made drilling these plates pretty straightforward.  3 bolt holes per plate plus a big hole for the top rack's posts which I had completely failed to account for in planning.
I took the advice on not padding it, glad I did as the result was extremely tight.  I'll check again after a few rides, but went hog wild: blue threadlock, vinyl locknuts and split washers.  Threadlocked the plate's center bolt really tight, then loosened, threadlocked and re-tightened the front and rear.  Shook a chicken.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

The end result is... not the prettiest, with the bolts fairly visible. Very practical, which is its own kind of beauty, and I believe it's a lot more solid than it looks below.

Also an orange cargo net because there is no god.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I decked my bike out in very utilitarian SW Motech bags, so I hear you. Practicality over aesthetics. (Mostly.)

That really sucks losing the pannier like that, though.

Bonus points for my large bag fitting on my scooter, too.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Remy Marathe posted:

Shook a chicken.

This is a Teutonic-level of over engineering that I appreciate. Now cut those bolts shorter for some kickass weight savings.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I'd actually like to cut those bolts just to tidy it up, and there's a bolt cutter around here somewhere. If I left these with 1/8" of bolt exposed, think I'd be risking deforming the stainless steel bolt's nut area ("nut zone")?

Geekboy posted:

SW Motech bags
With the hidden mount do these also discourage tailgaters?

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 22, 2022

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Remy Marathe posted:

I mean, hopefully. The bag on the top would sit flat if I wasn’t using the Tall Boy seat. At some point I may have a custom seat made because while this is a huge improvement on the stock seat, I don’t love it.

That’s only if I keep the bike long term, of course. We have great custom seat people near Portland, but none of them are cheap. I think the $500 or so they start at is totally reasonable, but if I decide I want a different bike next summer, I’m gonna be real annoyed at that money spent.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Remy Marathe posted:

I'd actually like to cut those bolts just to tidy it up, and there's a bolt cutter around here somewhere. If I left these with 1/8" of bolt exposed, think I'd be risking deforming the stainless steel bolt's nut area ("nut zone")?

I'd suggest a cutoff wheel, not a bolt cutter, and if those bolts are stainless I hope the nuts are nylocks or you're gonna have a bad time if you ever try to take that plate off

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
Traded in my old bike and got a shiny new drz400s. As I said a while ago in the bike recommendation thread, I wasn’t riding my cb500x any more, as my ST1300 was a better tourer and commuter with the gear I had to carry. It’s fantastic for the little bit I got to ride today, and as soon as the weather’s a bit warmer I plan to go out and break it in.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

I'd suggest a cutoff wheel, not a bolt cutter, and if those bolts are stainless I hope the nuts are nylocks or you're gonna have a bad time if you ever try to take that plate off

I think I'm in luck, the silver bolts got matching stainless nylon locknuts. Stainless bolt on regular stainless nut=bad?

And I guess a cutoff wheel goes onto the tool wishlist, maybe time to finally look into what dremmels can do.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I fitted the engine back into the frame on my DRZ but the oil hose to the lower sump has a stripped bolt hole so I just ordered some helicoils. I'm scared to drill into the block since I gather you need to drill DEEPER to give the helicoil tang space to break off, but I don't want to break through the block so I'm going to do a test drill on my old busted engine first.

I also started looking into the wiring loom I dismantled when the bike was being torn apart and.. man, I'm not looking forward to running all those cables again.

Which I guess I should have phrased as "man I have no idea where ANY of these cables go" but I'm too embarrassed to admit it out loud. Oops. I'll get them routed somehow. No guarantees they'll be CORRECTLY routed, only that they'll get to their destination one way or another.

Snapshot posted:

Traded in my old bike and got a shiny new drz400s. As I said a while ago in the bike recommendation thread, I wasn’t riding my cb500x any more, as my ST1300 was a better tourer and commuter with the gear I had to carry. It’s fantastic for the little bit I got to ride today, and as soon as the weather’s a bit warmer I plan to go out and break it in.

It's so shiny and new :swoon:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 22, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It is shiny and new and you need to rectify that immediately :colbert:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

I love that colorway.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Verman posted:

I love that colorway.

If the yellow were a little orangier it would be "road"

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It is shiny and new and you need to rectify that immediately :colbert:

I hear you, but it’s going to piss freezing rain tomorrow.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Snapshot posted:

This needs dirt on RIGHT NOW.

Congrats!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Snapshot posted:

gently caress yeah

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Remy Marathe posted:

I think I'm in luck, the silver bolts got matching stainless nylon locknuts. Stainless bolt on regular stainless nut=bad?

And I guess a cutoff wheel goes onto the tool wishlist, maybe time to finally look into what dremmels can do.

Stainless fasteners gall like a motherfucker if you don't put anti-seize or some form of grease on them. With nylocks there's no metal-on-metal thread contact, so you should be OK

Snapshot posted:

That's a nice biek, go get it dirty

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Stainless fasteners gall like a motherfucker if you don't put anti-seize or some form of grease on them. With nylocks there's no metal-on-metal thread contact, so you should be OK

idk about thread galling one way or the other, but nyloc nuts absolutely have metal-on-metal thread contact. the locking part is a thin nylon ring that the threads of the bolt bite into, but the clamping force comes from regular metal threads.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Hose the bolts with Honda polish and deal with it in a few years, got it!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remy Marathe posted:

Hose the bolts with Honda polish and let the NO deal with it in a few years, got it!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Remy Marathe posted:

Do it! Even the cheap generic ones are ridiculously useful, the one I have is identical to the Silverline branded one and has been chugging along for a few years now.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

idk about thread galling one way or the other, but nyloc nuts absolutely have metal-on-metal thread contact. the locking part is a thin nylon ring that the threads of the bolt bite into, but the clamping force comes from regular metal threads.

this is what I get for tiredposting

anyway, put antiseize or grease on stainless fasteners if you ever plan on unfastening them

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Snapshot posted:

I hear you, but it’s going to piss freezing rain tomorrow.

It's a DRZ.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

this is what I get for tiredposting

anyway, put antiseize or grease on stainless fasteners if you ever plan on unfastening them

OK so seriouspost- Greasing the threads will work against my threadlocking & anti-vibration-loosening measures right? Would I have been better off using cheaper zinc fasteners for this application?

I went with the stainless steel because "marine/outdoor applications" sounded like a good way to avoid corrosion and removal issues, but from what you describe and the swiss cheese phillips heads on top it sounds like I might actually be cruising for a bruising when I want my plate off it.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I was about to say any fasteners that get replaced on my pedal bikes always get replaced with stainless and I've never had anything get stuck but then i realized i always grease them :shrug:

They also get to live in the house which means i have to keep them clean enough that i don't get murdered for bringing them in the house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Remy Marathe posted:

OK so seriouspost- Greasing the threads will work against my threadlocking & anti-vibration-loosening measures right? Would I have been better off using cheaper zinc fasteners for this application?

No, it won't - hell the threadlocker may help prevent galling itself for all I know. Galling happens when you strip the oxide layer off the top of the metal and apply heat - guess what you're doing when you overtighten a nut? Just put a thin film of some lubricant on the bolt and don't torque the everloving poo poo out of the nut when you're tightening it up.