Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

asur
Dec 28, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

The logic there is that seatbelts obviously protect you from flying out of your car when you crash it, but right wing freaks don’t believe in Lucretius or germ theory because they can’t physically see it and therefore they are impervious, ergo they cannot and will never contract and/or spread covid, therefore FACE DIAPERS

Much like covid denialism though, not wearing seatbelts is also a bit of a self correcting Darwinian problem.

You'd think that seatbelts would be obvious, but they were extremely political at the time. I think it's likely that the only reason the US has seatbelt laws in 49 states is because Elizabeth Dole came up with a brilliant compromise that was supposed to be a give away to the auto industry but actually got the US both seatbelt laws and airbag regulation. New Hampshire, the only state without a seatbelt law, is an interesting case study in showing that at least 25% of the population's compliance is due to seatbelt laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Funny transition but has anyone else found back seat seatbelt etiquette in Japan severely lacking? I only have my own experiences to go on but i CONSTANTLY see kids in the back seat without seatbelts on, hanging off the drivers headrest or bouncing around. My in laws laughed uncomfortably when I put on a seatbelt on in the backseat, and taxi drivers also used to scoff.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Absolutely. My wife will regularly start driving before I have my seatbelt on, and taxi drivers will just pull out into traffic the second the door is closed without even caring about seatbelts. I've heard a lot of people say that they thought seat belts weren't required in the back seat, and be surprised when they hear about someone getting ticketed when they didn't have them on.

Even more surprising to me, when my daughter was born she had to be transferred to a new hospital for some NICU treatment. That only took a few days, and when it was done my wife was still in the hospital, so I had to take my 4 day old daughter back to the hospital my wife gave birth at. We don't have a car so we didn't have a child seat, and when I asked how I was supposed to bring a newborn baby to a different hospital halfway across Tokyo, both my wife and the hospital suggested I just call a regular taxi and hold her in my arms for the ride.

My wife didn't understand why I was absolutely shocked that she would even suggest such a thing. I ended up paying several thousand yen to reserve a special taxi that had a car seat pre-installed, twice - once from the NICU hospital to the birth hospital, and then once from there to home a few days later.

My wife is now mostly on my side regarding seatbelts and child car seats, but it took a decent amount of arguing my point and explaining.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

backseat seatbelts were only required from 2008, and I think you might still only get fined for not using them on expressways. Could only get fined for not wearing your seatbelt in the front seats on normal roads from 1992, expressways from 1985, btw.

my wife and kids are great about seatbelts :smug:

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I thought the law was introduced only recently (ish), thanks for confirming. Back when I arrived in 2014 is when I would get people scoffing or laughing uncomfortably.
However in 2022 I still regularly see small children treating the back of a moving vehicle like a McDonalds PlayPlace.
Also my wife and I were ready with our car seat to drive our daughter home when she was about 6 days old, but we got the impression lots of people just called a taxi or whatever and held the newborn which horrifies me.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I've had people get offended when I put a seatbelt on in the back seat. Apparently, some people take that as meaning you're not confident in their driving abilities.
If I wasn't confident I wouldn't get in your drat car at all, lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

zmcnulty posted:

I've had people get offended when I put a seatbelt on in the back seat. Apparently, some people take that as meaning you're not confident in their driving abilities.

Yeah in Korea I've been yelled at by taxi drivers for this. Friends told me it's considered insulting.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I think it more has to do with weird machismo "hurr hurr ur a pussy dude" vibes than anything

marumaru
May 20, 2013

AHH F/UGH posted:

I think it more has to do with weird machismo "hurr hurr ur a pussy dude" vibes than anything

yeah i would not be surprised if a taxi driver here did that either

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The director of my kids' daycare was so fed up with people not using seatbelts on their kids that he had the police come out to ticket people during the morning drop off a few times. The funny thing was, each time this happened he sent an email out to all the parents the night before that the police were going to be there, and they still didn't buckle in their kids. I know at least one person got multiple tickets.

My MIL knows someone whose baby was killed when it flew out of their arms in an accident, but she still complained to me that my kids were going to be strangled by their car seats. :iiam:

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

zmcnulty posted:

Yeah! This is totally what I meant. I haven’t ridden in taxis for probably close to 5 years though.

LyonsLions posted:

The director of my kids' daycare was so fed up with people not using seatbelts on their kids that he had the police come out to ticket people during the morning drop off a few times. The funny thing was, each time this happened he sent an email out to all the parents the night before that the police were going to be there, and they still didn't buckle in their kids. I know at least one person got multiple tickets.

More of this please. I get so triggered when I see mini vans driving around my neighborhood with the kids just flying around the back.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I asked a cop about this once, when they were just walking around on neighborhood patrol. He said that seat belts and child seats are in the law, but they only actively issue tickets for violations that directly cause accidents, like speeding and talking on a phone while driving...

...those things are also generally unenforced.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah in Korea I've been yelled at by taxi drivers for this. Friends told me it's considered insulting.

in cities in china they scream at you to put them on, especially in the front seat, cuz if a picture from one of the 1000000 traffic cams gets one of someone not wearing one in your car you will get fined.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Brigadier Sensible

Brigadarling

How are your plans/schedule

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Grand Fromage posted:

My republican dad refused to wear a seatbelt his entire life because it was communism.

zmcnulty posted:

this is still par for the course in the asian states of the former soviet union

they have taken it a step further and actively /disable/ the seatbelts to demonstrate their driving prowess

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
What's the general plan for a US code monkey who wants to move to Japan and continue to do code monkey things? What should I cram on?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
just browse job openings at the bigger tech companies and apply for w/e you're qualified for. rakuten, line, paypay, mercari are a few you should check.

that said, i don't think they're issuing job visas yet so you'll need to give it some time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

just browse job openings at the bigger tech companies and apply for w/e you're qualified for. rakuten, line, paypay, mercari are a few you should check.

that said, i don't think they're issuing job visas yet so you'll need to give it some time.

New visa holders and students are getting in now, I think those overseas might have a chance now. I highly doubt we’re going back to 鎖国 unless the pandemic takes a truly terrible negative turn.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah, any hints of tourist visas opening back up anytime soon?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah, any hints of tourist visas opening back up anytime soon?

No.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
They're talking about getting the Go To Travel program up and running again in the future so at the very least it won't be until after that.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Stringent posted:

They started processing new job visas at the start of March. At least that's when my company started the process for me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

harperdc posted:

New visa holders and students are getting in now, I think those overseas might have a chance now. I highly doubt we’re going back to 鎖国 unless the pandemic takes a truly terrible negative turn.

Oh dang, nice.

Now to write a resume for the first time in 10+ years. :negative:

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but my partner is learning Japanese and wants to practice reading kanji, and he's recently started to get into cooking. Is there a Japanese equivalent of Jamie Oliver/ Delia Smith etc. who writes cookery books for learner cooks?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Cooking with dog? :rip:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

spiderbot posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but my partner is learning Japanese and wants to practice reading kanji, and he's recently started to get into cooking. Is there a Japanese equivalent of Jamie Oliver/ Delia Smith etc. who writes cookery books for learner cooks?
Not sure about famous chefs, but maybe he could try looking at recipes on the NHK website/Cookpad?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spiderbot posted:

Ask also in the Japanese language thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954871

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

spiderbot posted:

As someone else mentioned there's https://cookpad.com/jp and https://kurashiru.com. My italki tutor uses kurashiru because cookpad has some quality issues (lots of user submitted recipes).

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

spiderbot posted:

I would just look up any recipe and append 初心者向け and you'll find things aimed at beginners.
https://kinarino.jp/cat4-%E3%82%B0%...%82%B7%E3%83%94

Here is something I just found in a quick search that is some recommended recipes for beginner cooks. It has tons of cool and commonly used food words. I've learned a lot of food words from drama and variety tv shows.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I've got the idea in my head to go back to Japan next year perhaps when I can, since I know the borders are currently closed to tourism last I checked. I've been once before though it was 2006 on a college study trip for a month. I thought I'd maybe ask a few questions while I'm here since no doubt things have changed in the 16 years since I've been there last.

This trip would likely be 2 weeks in June or July since the friend who would be coming with me is a teacher and probably wouldn't be able to take off during the school year. I'd like to try to go to Tokyo since my previous trip involved more the Kansai/Western areas (Nagoya, Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima). If possible I'd also like to maybe hit Osaka for a day or two as well.

So I guess my questions really center around, how much do you think this might cost? I've been told in the 3-5k range though I wasn't sure if that included airfare. It did factor in things like the JR Pass, hotel stays and food.

We have not plotted much out yet other than potential wanting to visit nerdy stores so...I guess I'll take any info you got and are willing to give, thanks!

...also if this is the wrong thread uhh..my bad.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Don't bother with a JR pass if you're staying within the greater Tokyo area. You most likely won't save money, and it's much slower to pass the ticket gates than with a regular Suica card.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah. Take the time to do the math I suppose but there are very few situations where the JR Pass is worth the money. I've only had it make sense once, it was a regional one instead of the full pass, and even then it only saved me like literally $20 so I probably shouldn't have bothered.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I've never even heard of the Suica before. That looks helpful if we're mainly staying in the Tokyo area for sure. Like I said, kinda wanna hit up Osaka for a day or two too though but probably could just get normal tickets for that then.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Round trip from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka is 27,740 and 7 day adult rail pass is 33,610.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Wouldn't recommend Osaka as a day trip from Tokyo. It's like a 6 hour round trip by Shinkansen so most of your day would be on a train instead of doing stuff. Even if you're willing to do that, ~$300 per person in train tickets to just do a couple of things in Osaka doesn't seem worth it.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
On a slightly relevant topic to that, as an outsider not having been there and getting somewhat useful but incomplete info from youtube and google

Suica cards - they're for JR East only right? Like, I'm intending to spend 7-10 days in tokyo doing things (mostly around asakusa/shibuya/akihabara) and I'm unsure if just dumping like, a good few thousand yen onto a suica would cover everything. What I mean is, I don't want to be going from A to B to C only to find out that B to C requires pasmo or something.

Also I found an old (3 years+) video recommending Odigo but that just goes to a DNS error page now. Is there a decent travel/itinerary/similar thing-guide that would suffice, beyond literally just eyeballing googlemaps for place to place stuff?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Iymarra posted:

Suica cards - they're for JR East only right? Like, I'm intending to spend 7-10 days in tokyo doing things (mostly around asakusa/shibuya/akihabara) and I'm unsure if just dumping like, a good few thousand yen onto a suica would cover everything. What I mean is, I don't want to be going from A to B to C only to find out that B to C requires pasmo or something.

There are like 20 different cards that you can only buy in certain areas, but as far as I know they all work everywhere in the country now. You may or may not be able to put more money on them if you're not in the home region, I'm not sure if they've standardized that or not yet.

It's easily explained by my all time favorite picture on Wikipedia:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 25, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
SUICA cards are kind of like debit cards. You can buy them from many train ticket kiosks. It's recommended to get one when you land at the airport and load it with $50 or so. It makes taking trains much easier because you don't have to try to figure out how much to put on a ticket every time. You just use it at the gate as you walk in and it debits your balance. You can also use them in many businesses, which can be handy. Don't want to deal with counting change at Lawson for your onigiri? Just use the SUICA.

As for JR Pass. If you are going from Tokyo > Osaka it can be worth it. If you are riding JR trains around the cities you can use it for those, as well. They add up fast. It's not uncommon to go for 4 or more train rides in a day.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Zettace posted:

Wouldn't recommend Osaka as a day trip from Tokyo. It's like a 6 hour round trip by Shinkansen so most of your day would be on a train instead of doing stuff. Even if you're willing to do that, ~$300 per person in train tickets to just do a couple of things in Osaka doesn't seem worth it.

That adds up, so def would wanna make it a multi day thing if we wanna do that. I'm sure there's plenty of things in Osaka area to check out haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

SUICA cards are kind of like debit cards. You can buy them from many train ticket kiosks. It's recommended to get one when you land at the airport and load it with $50 or so. It makes taking trains much easier because you don't have to try to figure out how much to put on a ticket every time. You just use it at the gate as you walk in and it debits your balance. You can also use them in many businesses, which can be handy. Don't want to deal with counting change at Lawson for your onigiri? Just use the SUICA.

As for JR Pass. If you are going from Tokyo > Osaka it can be worth it. If you are riding JR trains around the cities you can use it for those, as well. They add up fast. It's not uncommon to go for 4 or more train rides in a day.

Cool, but do SUICA cards work on every line inside the station? Like, if I'm going from a station at senso-ji temple to say, the closest station near electric town at akihabara and it goes through x line with two changes, does SUICA cover that or is it likely that I'd need to grab a single ticket for one part of that, or use a different card?