Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m not 100% against Grant, but this line from that article gave me a hearty lol:

quote:

A TV insider said the showrunner is keen for 61-year-old Hugh to ‘bring a fresh feel’ to the role of the Doctor.

Nothing says fresh like a 60 year old leading man :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I wouldn't be opposed to Hugh Grant doing Who, though I can't see him taking on the leading role now considering how demanding it is. Then again, I feel like every time we heard rumors on who the next Doctor would be so far out from the casting, they turned out wrong, so I'm not going to take it particularly seriously.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Obviously the next Doctor should be a CGI deepfake Tom Baker with a synthesized voice

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That said, filming does start quite soon (about a month away) so as we get closer, it’s more likely to be true.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hugh Grant is one of the only potential doctors I've heard of that I think I'd have a hard time even watching sight unseen. I know him mostly as every insufferable rich guy from a thousand romcoms. Looking at his filmography it's a list of things I wouldn't watch or that I did and hated. Cloud Atlas being the one exception of something I've always meant to watch but haven't. Hugh Grant Doctor seems like he'd inevitably be one of the "enchant a young earthling romantically and possibly break their lives" kinda Doctors. I will say that if Yaz sticks around for the transition, I think that'd be a more interesting companion-doctor-transition than Clara going from 11 to 12. If 1 was a bit miffed 12 was another old man, wonder was 13 going to have to say bout it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fast forward to 16:00 for the relevant bit (or don’t, it’s all great stuff)

https://youtu.be/tp_Fw5oDMao

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Khanstant posted:

Hugh Grant is one of the only potential doctors I've heard of that I think I'd have a hard time even watching sight unseen. I know him mostly as every insufferable rich guy from a thousand romcoms. Looking at his filmography it's a list of things I wouldn't watch or that I did and hated. Cloud Atlas being the one exception of something I've always meant to watch but haven't. Hugh Grant Doctor seems like he'd inevitably be one of the "enchant a young earthling romantically and possibly break their lives" kinda Doctors. I will say that if Yaz sticks around for the transition, I think that'd be a more interesting companion-doctor-transition than Clara going from 11 to 12. If 1 was a bit miffed 12 was another old man, wonder was 13 going to have to say bout it.

I see your point, and you’re not necessarily wrong. But Hugh Grant’s bread and butter, how he became famous, was by playing people too fumbling and awkward to do what you have in quotes, at least on purpose. So it’s not really a given how he’d play the Doctor.

Then again, I guess that’s how Matt Smith played the Doctor, and he still did that to Amy in their first season, until they went all in on her and Rory.

edit: Again, this is all assuming he’s the new Doctor. Which is a huge given at this point. It’s probably all a nonsense rumor (that I brought into the thread, sorry).

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 20, 2022

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Strong Convections posted:

Is there an obvious "this is the best one" of McGann?
One where he's not "weary" or "laconic" even if it's a deliberate choice?

The Chimes of Midnight, off the top of my head. McGann plays the Doctor as being excitable, worried, outraged and assertive. And the first Dark Eyes boxset gives him a chance to show off his range. Out of the all the Doctors, he probably does outrage the best.

Davison has grown on me in recent years, especially after listening to the audios.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Short Capaldi interview from Empire Mag

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Also: Hugh Grant worked with RTD on a Very British Scandal, it's possible he might want to work with him again.
(That being said, between the two, I would've bet on Ben Whishaw being a new Doctor instead!).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Out of the two, Ben Whishaw would be my preferred.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Doctor Who goof special was good hugh, I'll grant you that.

thrawn527 posted:

Then again, I guess that’s how Matt Smith played the Doctor, and he still did that to Amy in their first season, until they went all in on her and Rory.

That's an interesting take since Amy was the most overtly-horny for Doctor, basically asking him more than once to lay her out, and even when she married Rory and had the Doctor's Future Wife it never felt like she was any less down to clown. Matt Smith's Doctor felt almost asexual to me, which mafe River romance scenes a little unconvincing if not for the peculiarity of their dynamic which works in a less conventionally-romantic way,

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

The Doctor Who goof special was good hugh, I'll grant you that.

That's an interesting take since Amy was the most overtly-horny for Doctor, basically asking him more than once to lay her out, and even when she married Rory and had the Doctor's Future Wife it never felt like she was any less down to clown. Matt Smith's Doctor felt almost asexual to me, which mafe River romance scenes a little unconvincing if not for the peculiarity of their dynamic which works in a less conventionally-romantic way,

Yeah, if anything Eleven was practically having to beat Amy off him with a lovely stick, even in front of Rory she kept giving him the ol' bedroom eyes. Which made it all the funnier when that one doppelganger lady started flirting with Rory in front of her during that one episode and she got all pissed off and jealous. :laugh:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I’m not gonna get into it, but I severely misunderstood how OP meant “enchant”, in a way that’s entirely on me. That’s my mistake. So I’ll back away slowly now. Sorry.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Look, I shouldn't need to preface this with any condition, you should just watch Paddington 2, even if you already have, but if you dont like Hugh Grant you should watch Paddington 2 just to see how wrong you are

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Natural History Of Fear. It's McGann's favourite script.
Oh! I actually listened to that on CD last year, I forgot about it completely.
Yeah, from memory there was a bit of passion in McGann's performance. I guess I shouldn't write him off.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep an eye out for Scherzo, Dark Eyes, and Chimes of Midnight.

RE: Hugh Grant rumours - he's a sort of typecast actor, and I'd think it likely he'd end up playing Hugh Grant (rather than the Doctor). I suppose you could make the same argument for Peter Capaldi as "angry scottish man", but he was quite a bit less well known.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah, if anything Eleven was practically having to beat Amy off him with a lovely stick, even in front of Rory she kept giving him the ol' bedroom eyes. Which made it all the funnier when that one doppelganger lady started flirting with Rory in front of her during that one episode and she got all pissed off and jealous. :laugh:

Rory deserved better.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

Rory deserved better.

Absolutely, I think Karen Gillan is a lovely person, probably, but I absolutely detest the character of Amy Pond. She was one long, drawn-out example of "she's great because we keep telling you she's great".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1505922189694021635?t=jblmgGK_VIcGiq1wU2OLAQ&s=19

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
https://twitter.com/HackedOffHugh/status/1506042737962934282?t=IwzpIEa--FB95r2KcqTZ3w&s=19

No surprises here, just tabloids being tabloids. Would have been interesting to see him do it in his 60s, though. Ah well.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hugh Grant confirmed as the next incarnation of The Master.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

Hugh Grant confirmed as the next incarnation of The Master.

The role of “Anthony” will be played by Huge Rant.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You know who I haven't seen in anything in a while and who could be the next Doctor: Lucy Liu

However, could an American Doctor ever happen or did we burn that bridge in the revolutionary war?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Khanstant posted:

You know who I haven't seen in anything in a while and who could be the next Doctor: Lucy Liu

However, could an American Doctor ever happen or did we burn that bridge in the revolutionary war?

I personally wouldnt want to see an american doctor tbh, in the same way I wouldnt want to see an american showrunner. We let them have a Master, that will have to do.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There better be a second female Doctor, since they could so easily imply that Jodie was unpopular for her gender rather than pinning the blame on the dogshit showrunner.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd enjoy a non-UK Doctor but I would be very troubled by an American showrunner. Already kind of worried about the future of Who and BBC productions with ominous clouds of privatization looming. I'd pay someone's TV Licence if that helped keep it the way it was, wish PBS was making killer shows on the regs and representing underserved audiences with significant funding by the people.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
There hasn't been an anti-privatisation government in this country since before I was born, and I'm nearly 40. Since 1994 we've only had 4 years of anti-privatisation opposition, too. It's going to happen whoever is in charge next time out.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Crosspeice posted:

There better be a second female Doctor, since they could so easily imply that Jodie was unpopular for her gender rather than pinning the blame on the dogshit showrunner.

Yeah, if it was me the doctor AFTER this next one can be whoever (I'm still pulling for Paterson Joeseph myself) but if this one is another white guy then the worst kind of people will take it as "vindication" of their awful views.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Khanstant posted:

An IRISH Doctor will never happen, let alone an American Doctor.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Edward Mass posted:

An IRISH Doctor will never happen, let alone an American Doctor.

So much for Pierce Brosnan

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Honestly surprised Rusty didn't cast a fellow Welshman during his run, I think the world's finally ready for a Doctor that says "boyo"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I would take an American as the Doctor if they’re in the Jeff Goldblum vein. My rider would be that Marc Evan Jackson plays the Master.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The_Doctor posted:

I would take an American as the Doctor if they’re in the Jeff Goldblum vein. My rider would be that Marc Evan Jackson plays the Master.

We don't live in a timeline good enough for something like this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He'd be so good in that role, haha. Would also be a Master who could say the evilest things... but I still wanna like him for some reason.

In any case, if American ever takes either role, I want them to have a heavy accent. Obviously *everyone* has an accent, but I want a heavy religional one, not the generic TV Internet Common most of us have picked up.

p.s. maybe if they made an Irish Doctor decades ago they could've snagged the rest of Ireland into their little UK club

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

He'd be so good in that role, haha. Would also be a Master who could say the evilest things... but I still wanna like him for some reason.

In any case, if American ever takes either role, I want them to have a heavy accent. Obviously *everyone* has an accent, but I want a heavy religional one, not the generic TV Internet Common most of us have picked up.

p.s. maybe if they made an Irish Doctor decades ago they could've snagged the rest of Ireland into their little UK club

Given how wonderfully Brexit is going I'd say the Irish dodged a massive bullet there

Also at one point I'd say "why put an American in what is possibly the quintessential British TV role" but nowadays? Eh, it's NuWho so put whoever in there :shrug:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Khanstant posted:

As an American I'm not sure I could take a Minnesotan or Southern Californian Doctor

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/andreworton/status/1506351903814434817?s=21

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I really love that control room, wish we got to see more of it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
we are overdue for an understated control room, nice wooden paneling, stately decor. i liked Jodie's World of Warcraft Spaceship look but now I yearn for dead trees strewn across the architecture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
There's something quintessentially English about the doctor and yes its how he believes he benevolently travels around to countries where the locals are delightfully infererior to him, solving their problems, while occasionally causing an oopsie genocide.

The doctor should be played by a frenchman next