Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

ex post facho posted:

gee maybe the Democrats, who control the House, Senate, and White House, should do something about this

oops, all landlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ex post facho posted:

gee maybe the Democrats, who control the House, Senate, and White House, should do something about this

like throw themselves from the top of the Washington monument? why would you suggest that

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
quick lets blame foreigners

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

yeah but that's in canadian dollars

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

ex post facho posted:

:rubby:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1506...ingawful.com%2F

YOU CONTROL CONGRESS AND THE WHITE HOUSE YOU loving ASSHOLES

lmao yeah

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Palladium posted:

quick lets blame foreigners

Too boring, let’s invent a fun problem to be sad at instead

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i am sad that the democrats are going to get vaporized in 2022

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i am sad that the democrats are going to get vaporized in 2022

That’s a real problem and not a fake one so you should be relieved instead

Dems are too busy feeling sad about immaterial poo poo okay, stop wasting their time

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My plan is to buy a house when home prices dive steeply in 2026

I might be waiting a little while longer

Also just try to imagine the 2026 midterms

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

honestly ngl I was kinda hoping that the ongoing mass death and global economic implosion might help house prices so I don't have to live with my parents until they die and then be homeless because all their assets will be drained away by medical bills but lol. lmao.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

the answer to "who can afford a house these days?!?" is institutional investors and they have unlimited money

rent till you die if you didn't get in while the getting was good, and maybe still even if you did

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

hailthefish posted:

honestly ngl I was kinda hoping that the ongoing mass death and global economic implosion might help house prices so I don't have to live with my parents until they die and then be homeless because all their assets will be drained away by medical bills but lol. lmao.

that would be the case if the only people who could buy houses were people planning on living in them. in the future all houses are gonna be owned by HouseCo and you will pay them some insane amount of money in rent for the pleasure of living there. they’ll also be able to stipulate a ton of insane invasive things about your life. this is freedom.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Stereotype posted:

that would be the case if the only people who could buy houses were people planning on living in them. in the future all houses are gonna be owned by HouseCo and you will pay them some insane amount of money in rent for the pleasure of living there. they’ll also be able to stipulate a ton of insane invasive things about your life. this is freedom.

That's not the way to think about it. You vertically integrate housing into your corporate monolith and have it work like healthcare. If you leave you are homeless until you find a new job. Merely exorbitant rent seeking isn't going to crush any chance of workplace organisation. The end goal of of western capitalism is a form of slavery that doesn't contravene the 14th amendment.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stereotype posted:

agressively pretending that covid isn't real honestly seems like the only broadly popular thing they've done lol

It's one thing to always have been on the side of popular opinion but I think most people feel that taking one stance then having popular opinion force you into going along with it is more pathetic and shameful than not coming around. You'll always look like Ted Cruz phonebanking for Trump in the famous picture when you cave.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stereotype posted:

See the thing is tho that HouseCo donates a shitload to both political parties and you, some idiot citizen, does not so it turns out democracy is working as intended.

Also all the people who own houses already are making out like bandits so good luck trying to mobilize voters with the pitch of "What if you didn't get an extra hundred thousand dollars in home equity every year? What if instead of virtually unlimited equity to borrow against, that money just disappeared?"

This is a problem that won't get solved.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't know though, I mean not to rain on the parade or anything but one of my daughters just bought a house with her boyfriend, and two others bought a house together in December. They're all quite young - 23, 20, and 18 - and not exactly wealthy either. One is in fast food, one is at an assisted living facility, and the other bounces from job to job every 3 months. So it can be done, at least in some market areas.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Wheeee posted:

the answer to "who can afford a house these days?!?" is institutional investors and they have unlimited money

rent till you die if you didn't get in while the getting was good, and maybe still even if you did

I can afford a house :smaug:

have you considered learning to code??

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

camoseven posted:

I can afford a house :smaug:

have you considered learning to code??

I did!

I need more of my friends to move out of IL so I can convince my wife to move to like, southern wisconson.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Winifred Madgers posted:

I don't know though, I mean not to rain on the parade or anything but one of my daughters just bought a house with her boyfriend, and two others bought a house together in December. They're all quite young - 23, 20, and 18 - and not exactly wealthy either. One is in fast food, one is at an assisted living facility, and the other bounces from job to job every 3 months. So it can be done, at least in some market areas.

in places no right-thinking human wants to live, sure

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

ex post facho posted:

Go against their chief donors? This would be like them ending the Obama program of funding Nazis in The Ukraine.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

they always say this. once a program gets made that itll probably stick around. unless it directly benefits a corporation that hasnt been tru in 40 years. we have removed the benefit from almost everything in this country

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Builder or investor alert! Either hold it now and build your dream home later. Price is for Land value only. Sold as is where is. Measurement is from BC Assessment. Interior has to be verified by buyers or Buyer's realtor if important. Please DO NOT ENTER THE PROPERTY WITHOUT PERMISSION. NO FOR SALE SIGN!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

translation : it's a dilapidated crack den

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Winifred Madgers posted:

thank you for the anecdote

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Winifred Madgers posted:

What city is this in?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
congratulations on your daughter's boyfriend's burgeoning methamphetamine distribution business

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

indigi posted:

in places no right-thinking human wants to live, sure

yea nobody cares that houses are affordable in like fuckin winnipeg or buttfuck, arkansas

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

christmas boots posted:

What city is this in?

No city you would have ever heard of lol, small towns in rural Michigan. I succumbed briefly to bragging about my kids, we can resume the thread now.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ex post facho posted:

congratulations on your daughter's boyfriend's burgeoning methamphetamine distribution business

A golden opportunity-- be sure to donate to a politician, that way they can use their influence to consider you rich enough to run interference on your behalf.

Hell, above a certain annual gross the rules literally don't apply to you anymore.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
when you owe the bank 200,000 dollars that's your problem, when you owe the bank 2 million that's the banks problem etc etc

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

ex post facho posted:

when you owe the bank 200,000 dollars that's your problem, when you owe the bank 2 million that's the banks problem etc etc

This is inaccurate by several additional orders of magnitude. Owing the bank 2 million is still very very firmly your problem.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

iirc those letters (and pictures ofc) are required for all home purchases in oregon, i'd imagine they've already pioneered this one weird trick

eh sort of the opposite - Oregon banned them in 2021, but that was just overturned this month by a federal judge (on behalf of a real estate group because it turns out that they do indeed want to use them to their own advantage)

they've never been required though, I certainly don't recall ever writing one when we bought our home, we just were able to make the first offer by having our realtor get us in before the open house + realized they were selling under a bit of duress/time crunch due to a divorce so proactively offered a month or so of free rent to make it less stressful (which we, I think correctly, thought would be overvalued in cash terms)

e: regardless, real estate is nuts around here

our house (which we bought in a deliberately unhip area and were only just able to afford at the time) has apparently appreciated >60% in a little over 4 years

LGD has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Mar 22, 2022

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

jemand posted:

This is inaccurate by several additional orders of magnitude. Owing the bank 2 million is still very very firmly your problem.

it's never gonna be the bank's problem; the government or fed will graciously make it their problem instead

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

are there any rules about them letters? like can you put “I will give dome monthly until 2035” in there

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
2008 proved that banks don’t have problems, ever

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Kallindril/status/1506319511670120451?t=NSGurse7VaNF7Ynn7-XHGA&s=19

this party cannot die fast enough to satisfy me

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I'll be honest I'm going to doubt the 20yos earning minimum wage bought a house anyone would actually be happy to live in

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I'll be honest I'm going to doubt the 20yos earning minimum wage bought a house anyone would actually be happy to live in

as a former 20 year old, to them the idea of standards is preposterous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah i lived like an animal.