Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Wonder if Clutch will get further touch ups. There's a couple of aesthetic bits that look kind of rough, like the flames blinking out of existence instantly. And 500 HP (where Singe has 444 and the Pile has 580) seems a bit much for a boss you can't constantly attack and need like at least 30 damage to deal with the skeletons. Not to mention his bone barrier at the end blocking damage. He seems a bit much for Chapter 2.

Some item weights got buffed up too, which is nice. Blank Card in the shop went from 0.2 to 0.5. And Bomber Boy from the Bomb Bum went from 0.2 to 1. I have no idea why the 2nd one was even that rare in the first place. :psyduck: I do like they're dialing back some of the item weight nerfs. Some of them were done just so you wouldn't see the same item every single run because of how many pools they were in (Plan C is in 5 pools and has a weight of 0.2 to counteract that) and some were done to encourage hunting down different pools, like secret room items, and some are just so powerful they have less weight to making finding them truly special. But some rare items are bizarrely rare for no reason, so getting rid of those cases is nice to see.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If I were remaking Isaac from scratch I wonder if I'd keep the "item pool" system at all. as you say, it's cool for incentivizing players to hunt down different sources of items, and theoretically it lets you make progression a little more consistent -- you're more likely to get a damage/tears up item from a boss drop that way, for example.

It's already used a little in Repentance, but in my head what I'd probably do instead is give each item internal tags like "DPS up" or "Angelic" or whatever, and use these to nudge the RNG. So maybe your treasure room and boss drop items are heavily weighted at the start towards giving you a DPS up item, but once you've received one the chance returns to normal. Maybe certain bosses/floors could also give extra weight to particular tags, to incentivize going to alt floors based on how your build is shaping up -- like, "I've got a lot of bomb synergy items already, so I should do the Quarry".

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think the item pool system in isaac is generally good with the exception of the secret pool - some of those items are just too rare. The bigger issue imo is that angel is too much better than devil (unless something changed recently).

Item rarities are ok but I think it should be a light touch and mostly done for items that make the game stale. I dont think the game should curate progression to a degree that you hit specific stat thresholds too consistently.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 22, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bumping up Blank Card drops is real good for Tainted Lost. I usually don't pop my holy card on the first floor until I see the shop in case there's a blank card in there, but it's so rare.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

They adjusted Devil Room pools a bit, though the changes aren't super huge.

I'm definitely fine with item rarities being bumped up. With more items being added, the chances of finding a specific item from a pool just keeps going down. So getting rid of nonsense cases of rarity is great.

Some of said items with lower rarities are also items that are powerful core mechanics of other characters, namely Tainted Ones, likely to keep them distinct and also because you'd essentially be having the power of 2 characters on anyone else with said items. Stuff that outright functions differently on other characters is an exception, like Sumptorium, where it summons clots instead, Anima Sola, namely cause you can't really benefit from it's non-Tainted Jacob effect on Tainted Jacob all that often, and Flip, which is basically just a super D6 on anyone that isn't Tainted Lazarus.

Some others are because the pool in question is thematic, but they didn't want certain items being given out all that easily from it. Like Battery Bum gives out electricity themed items, most of which are just item charge related. Aside from 120 Volt and Jacob's Ladder, which are attacking items, and have 0.1 weight instead.

Despite saying they added Guppy's Eye to Curse Room pools in the patch notes, they actually forgot to do it in-game. Whoops.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Some of the new champion alt looks for bosses are neat.

Big Monstro looks disappointed now, and Black Death has glowy eyes.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

No Wave posted:

I think the item pool system in isaac is generally good with the exception of the secret pool - some of those items are just too rare.

They need to somehow up the odds of finding a secret room item. Make one guaranteed to spawn each run (if you can find it) or something. Secret room exclusive items are loving ludicrous to find

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Color Printer posted:

They need to somehow up the odds of finding a secret room item. Make one guaranteed to spawn each run (if you can find it) or something. Secret room exclusive items are loving ludicrous to find

:hmmyes:

Good solution there for sure. The last items you'll wind up checking off your list for sure are the secret pool ones.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Pretty much the best way to find secret room items are to force spawn them in there with items like Mystery Gift or the reversed tarot cards that sacrifices your items/stats to spawn an item. Or make use of a mechanic that pulls from different item pools, like the Member Card item. But yeah finding them naturally is incredibly rare.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I don't think I "get" the new Lazarus gimmick, but it's pretty fun to use blank card+suicide king every floor for most of a run.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Nice video showing all the new champion-boss sprites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2SgYKVZPN4

Beyond the colours, most of them just have slight changes mostly to their eyes, but it's still some cool attention to detail. And the recolouring alone must have been a ton of work.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Time to take bets on whether the Switch patch will be out or I'll get my "Q2" Steam Deck first

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Kaboobi posted:

Time to take bets on whether the Switch patch will be out or I'll get my "Q2" Steam Deck first

Given we still don't have the last big patch where eg donation machines blow up with one bomb then I'm not optimistic.

However this does mean Echo Chamber is still ridiculously OP. I got a Tainted Lost run with echo chamber. First pill? Vurp. Ended up with a great collection of cards and even soul of azazel all on there which because of vurp kept throwing a pill up each time I used it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Psychedelicatessen posted:

I don't think I "get" the new Lazarus gimmick, but it's pretty fun to use blank card+suicide king every floor for most of a run.

He's basically someone who has an extra life as a central mechanic instead of it being tacked on. Do with the life what you see fit.

I also appreciate that the Birthright effect was changed to be something that wasn't literally just a reskinned Red Stew.

Carpator Diei posted:

Nice video showing all the new champion-boss sprites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2SgYKVZPN4

Beyond the colours, most of them just have slight changes mostly to their eyes, but it's still some cool attention to detail. And the recolouring alone must have been a ton of work.

Okay wow they look so much better. The original champion sprites just had a blatant color gradient slapped onto them and they looked kind of ugly as a result. These look like proper palette swaps.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 22, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I find the ??? buffs to be actually somewhat significant: the flies give a lot of extra damage on earlygame since it's filled with poop, makes the Poop a Guppy's Head with less flies but with a chance of drops (and with Hallowed Poop you have free DPS boosting poops) and the Devil Room changes makes them more attractive, doubly so with ???'s Birthright that doubles HP ups.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Here's a thing I'm not sure was mentioned:

If you're lazarus and take red heart damage, losing your devil deal chance, but then come back to life using his new mechanic, your devil deal goes back to 100% (or whatever). I haven't thoroughly tested it but I'm bad at the game and got hit and then killed myself (in game), and it jumped back up.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I was kinda hoping for some updates to the more annoying tainted characters (increase the spawn rate of holy card for T. Lost gawd).

The champion bosses are really cool though, that's a great addition.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

PantsBandit posted:

I was kinda hoping for some updates to the more annoying tainted characters (increase the spawn rate of holy card for T. Lost gawd).

The champion bosses are really cool though, that's a great addition.

To be fair, making Blank Card significantly less rare was probably an even better buff

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Holy poo poo, new Lazarus is an amazing character now. I'm so glad they were actually able to make his extra life a relevant mechanic instead of tacked on for the theme.

Also Jesus Christ, this also ended up being a huge buff to Lazarus's Rags. Turns out when it turns you into Lazarus Risen after being resurrected, it gives you all of his mechanics. Such as going back to normal Lazarus when going to a new floor. Meaning that the rags also give you the regenerating extra life aspect! :catstare:

Judas's Shadow is still probably a better offensive extra life item due to the way higher damage multiplier, but the rags' 40% more damage is still hefty and they essentially come with a ton of defensive potential with all the extra lives in your run you just got.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

The Fattest PI posted:

Here's a thing I'm not sure was mentioned:

If you're lazarus and take red heart damage, losing your devil deal chance, but then come back to life using his new mechanic, your devil deal goes back to 100% (or whatever). I haven't thoroughly tested it but I'm bad at the game and got hit and then killed myself (in game), and it jumped back up.

Turns out this was a bug because a small patch just went out a couple of hours ago that fixes this as well as a bunch of minor things.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Navaash posted:

Turns out this was a bug because a small patch just went out a couple of hours ago that fixes this as well as a bunch of minor things.

gently caress edmund

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jylhh8x3-Qs

buffed item alert. lil dumpy is super good now

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just cleared my Tainted Lost post-it and I'm feeling fat, and sassy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I wish they'd patch Tainted Eden. You can straight-up lose 7 hearts in one hit. Just went into the Mother fight with 5 health and died after 2 hits. I had 12 health going into Corpse 2 and I think got hit only twice in there.

Edit: I think the fix is keeping track of soul hearts past 12. The main mechanism of the game blasting Tainted Eden's health to poo poo, as far as I can tell, is you'll have full health with like 4 red hearts and 8 soul hearts, then get hit and it'll give you like 6 HP up items in your new roll, deleting 6 soul hearts completely, and then the next hit takes all those HP up items away and you've lost like 8 health in 2 hits.

I believe they have programmed in soul heart tracking like this for other interactions. It used to be innate to the original Isaac even; I remember when you could stack invisible soul hearts to inifinity.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 29, 2022

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Finally got a patch for Switch. Not sure what version it is up to but the Holy mantle mark is on the health bar now.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sad Panda posted:

Finally got a patch for Switch. Not sure what version it is up to but the Holy mantle mark is on the health bar now.

Oh yeah looks like consoles got patched on the 25th to add everything from the previous PC update(with missing birthrights added, Tainted Laz changes, ect.). Not sure how I missed that

Note that there’s a few crashes right now(5th sacrifice room payout(the one that sends you to Angel room) and Confessional payout) but there’s a quick patch to fix those coming soon

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 31, 2022

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I wish they'd patch Tainted Eden. You can straight-up lose 7 hearts in one hit. Just went into the Mother fight with 5 health and died after 2 hits. I had 12 health going into Corpse 2 and I think got hit only twice in there.

Edit: I think the fix is keeping track of soul hearts past 12. The main mechanism of the game blasting Tainted Eden's health to poo poo, as far as I can tell, is you'll have full health with like 4 red hearts and 8 soul hearts, then get hit and it'll give you like 6 HP up items in your new roll, deleting 6 soul hearts completely, and then the next hit takes all those HP up items away and you've lost like 8 health in 2 hits.

I believe they have programmed in soul heart tracking like this for other interactions. It used to be innate to the original Isaac even; I remember when you could stack invisible soul hearts to inifinity.

My approach to tainted eden is just treat any direct health up item like it doesn't exist. Eternal hearts, soul hearts and black hearts are key bc they are protected from being removed. That also means you can be a little more liberal with devil deals than you might think, because there's a good chance the game will remove those health items from you anyway.

Speaking of Tainted Eden, just got trolled the first time from the fool card in depths 2 transforming.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 1, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think maybe tainted eden should just not have his health rerolled because that's silly

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm in the last 10% of achievements now, it's been a long journey but the end is in sight.

The only characters I have left to do much of are T. Cain (every time I try I get annoyed and give up), T. ??? (maybe simple enough? Idk I just haven't given it much of a chance) and T. Jacob (this one requires too much constant attention and brain-power to be that fun imo).

Should maybe have tried to mix my medicine in with the sugar, because I am not eager to do those runs.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I'm in the last 10% of achievements now, it's been a long journey but the end is in sight.

The only characters I have left to do much of are T. Cain (every time I try I get annoyed and give up), T. ??? (maybe simple enough? Idk I just haven't given it much of a chance) and T. Jacob (this one requires too much constant attention and brain-power to be that fun imo).

Should maybe have tried to mix my medicine in with the sugar, because I am not eager to do those runs.

Look up the recipe for Mama Mega on platinumgod when doing tCain and he becomes a very chill character once you can ignore the hush/boss rush timegates. T??? is also pretty fun once you figure out how the different poops work and interact with each other (the flame poop can ignite gas clouds).

TJacob is all about learning when and how Esau's rush attack triggers and how to manipulate him with Anima Sola. You can also steal devil deals with tJacobs lost form, but it's risky if you're not going to the next floor asap.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
havent played this since jan 8th. new laz is chill. i got to 40 damage with him.
i like how his revival gimmick never lets you be topped out with health, and makes you consider when to pick up soul hearts. if you only see one, are you willing to ensure your devil chance or are you waiting until after reviving?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
i've played this dumb game like 2k hours and i still can't unlock t jacob even on normal mode goddamn i hate playing as them

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Now beat all Jacob & Esau. It's on normal rather than hard but that's a lot better than I thought I'd do. That's every non-tainted checkmark done.

Got all of Tainted Eve/Lazarus/Eden/Blue Baby/Jacob to do. I only had Delirium left on Tainted Forgotten so figured I'd try that. An OK build but smelted expansion pack meant I unwittingly teleported into the Delirium fight without my book of revelations that I'd have been able to charge with 4.5V. However I'd probably have failed anyway. That fight is horrible. So much running after and picking up the body to throw it again. Feels like it might be the most tedious fight in the game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've unlocked all the Tainted characters but for the life of me I cannot seem to unlock Birthright and I have no idea why because it shouldn't be as hard as unlocking Tainted Jake was lmao

e: maybe it's because I really want it?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Getting through runs in a timely manner as J+E is pretty tough in my experience because planning out your build based on what you get and working out which character should get which item takes time.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ariong posted:

Getting through runs in a timely manner as J+E is pretty tough in my experience because planning out your build based on what you get and working out which character should get which item takes time.

True. I normally just pause the game when I see an item so I can think for a second.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
So frustrating when a run goes wrong for no fault of your own. Had a Tainted Isaac mother run that I forgot to get the second half of the knife and so locked myself out. My fault. Just had another run, had magic mushroom and sacred heart so was clearly going to win. Was in Gehenna 2 using red key and ended up in an I am Error room. No way to get out so can't get to corpse.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sad Panda posted:

So frustrating when a run goes wrong for no fault of your own. Had a Tainted Isaac mother run that I forgot to get the second half of the knife and so locked myself out. My fault. Just had another run, had magic mushroom and sacred heart so was clearly going to win. Was in Gehenna 2 using red key and ended up in an I am Error room. No way to get out so can't get to corpse.

A universal Isaac experience: Having a great run ruined by like a telepills sending you to I Am Error, or a crawlspace that leads there instead of the cool shop thing.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

cannot ffffffffuckin believe that i have a super decked out Keeper run with wooden nickel, car battery, 9 volt, charged penny, habit, and a bunch of damage and the main thing carrying me through the run falls flat during the beast fight because of loving gravity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Oh hey I finally got a chaos card to drop before the mines and had Gideon as the boss so if finally got to visit Gideon's grave! Very neat!

Additionally I learned that Gideon's Grave still crashes the game on the way back up the home path on the latest switch patch lol. Not really a problem as you spawn in the same room tho.