Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

“If it sucks, hit da bricks”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

p much the best way to play tbh

its fantastic and im doing double daggers and fuckkn poo poo up and dying a billion times

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
A mage who now has a shield and a comically huge Epee for stunlocking enemies when I’m not just casting things to death. My premier summon bros are a couple skeletons who do poo poo damage but they revive themselves, so they keep bosses aggro’d for days, as long as the boss doesn’t use AOEs that stop their revival.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I've been doing twinblade mostly 2 handed, I ran flail for a while but it wasn't doing anything for me. I have the weird bleed arcane dagger in my left hand, 55 bleed seems pretty crazy and so far it has gotten me out of some rough spots.
I've been messing with incantations a little bit, the fire spells seem fun, but it doesn't look like there is a full pyro build.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I have the Cipher Pata on my Faith Build and it’s been so fun.

I die a shitload because I sell out for an extra hit all the time though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

I have the Cipher Pata on my Faith Build and it’s been so fun.

I die a shitload because I sell out for an extra hit all the time though.

That looks like a super fun weapon, but I'm a little ways, stats wise, from being able to use it.
I wish I could git gud so I could dual dagger, or barring that, find a second super cool one to use.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The super early game morning star is fun for bleed build and it’s fast. It just has the range of a rolled up newspaper.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
No honest man needs anything longer than the real estate section

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The only souls game I've really gotten into so far is the OG Dark Souls which I got shortly after it came out, I completed the game and I remember really liking it. Then I got Dark Souls II maybe six months ago on a Steam sale after having not touched the franchise for like 10 years and I just couldn't get into it at all, and I can't tell if it's just a weak entry in the series or if I just suck at these types of games now, which is certainly possible.

Going to reinstall it and give it another go I think.

e:

Tiny Timbs posted:

“If it sucks, hit da bricks”

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1506119546503155718

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 24, 2022

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ds2 is my fave ds, especially SOTFS.

ds3 is a good entry too and completely worth playing as well

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nuclear Tourist posted:

The only souls game I've really gotten into so far is the OG Dark Souls which I got shortly after it came out, I completed the game and I remember really liking it. Then I got Dark Souls II maybe six months ago on a Steam sale after having not touched the franchise for like 10 years and I just couldn't get into it at all, and I can't tell if it's just a weak entry in the series or if I just suck at these types of games now, which is certainly possible.

Going to reinstall it and give it another go I think.

e:

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1506119546503155718

Named in meme 5/5

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Named in meme 5/5

Buddy, you’re the star of Elden Ring.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1506148398386532352?s=20&t=onWj9LZSyjO69gcdhY54EQ

Looks like a great game :rolleyes:

I bought it based on the rave reviews ITT and elsewhere and am looking forward to dying repeatedly, this is my first Dark Souls game.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I wasted $30 on Sekiro and then played a handful of hours before deciding it wasn't the fun kind of challenge it was just frustration. Does Elden Ring avoid that?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I like Souls games and avoided Sekiro because I got the same impression from people who'd played it. I'd say Elden Ring avoids a lot of the "boss rush" feeling by constantly giving you options to go do something else and come back as an over-powered rear end in a top hat.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

bird food bathtub posted:

I wasted $30 on Sekiro and then played a handful of hours before deciding it wasn't the fun kind of challenge it was just frustration. Does Elden Ring avoid that?

Yeah same but Bloodborne.

Like I get it, I get why people enjoy it, and why it's considered such a great series. I just wish it would click for me.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I had the same response when I tried to play Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 when they came out and never finished them until years later.

I picked up Dark Souls 3 again this winter and then powered through DS3, Bloodborne and Sekiro before Elden Ring. Something clicked for me on my second attempt at DS3 and it made all the others much easier to figure out.

I'd rate the difficulty as Sekiro>Dark Souls 2>Dark Souls 3>Elden Ring>Bloodborne>Dark Souls 1. Only exception being Bloodborne's DLC boss Orphan of Kos being one of From Soft's hardest bosses.

Sekiro is legitimately a hard game but I also feel like it's really quick to go from dead to back to attempting the boss. Isshin, Sword Saint is also by far the most satisfying boss I've ever beaten in a video game.

The only thing I can think of that made me get good at figuring out these games was sipmple trial and error, they relentlessly punish you for making the same mistakes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s still a Souls game though so even though it’s the most accessible in the series if you can’t hang with the basic gameplay of Dark Souls then I don’t think you’re going to have a good time

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This one facilitates over leveling a bit more than previous ones (in a sense that you don’t need to grind the same trash mobs because they have the best souls per hour or whatever).

Like I’ll struggle with a boss that I can’t even get down to 75% and then I’ll go level or find better gear for a few hours (or maybe even days — there is so much to do in this game) and then I’ll whoop the bosses rear end like it was a trash mob.

This definitely isn’t the case for every boss. Mostly world bosses. But it’s really satisfying.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

hit da bricks is legit the actual best way to play and learn this game

i cant keep saying it over and over again but its 100% true and if youre frustrated just gently caress off and do whatever and come back later

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
And sometimes hitting the bricks isn’t a massive change in level. I’ve come back like 1 level higher, but while loving around I beat a boss with similar mechanics, so their attacks seem more obvious and predictable by comparison.

Leonine is a really good early boss gut check. If you can deal with all his sweeping rapid attacks early, you can probably deal with a lot of early area bosses in 1-2 tries.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I used Godrick Soldier ashes on Leonine Misbegotten and we basically trapped him against a wall and stunlocked him to pieces

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My sister, the smarter non nerd half of the family, randomly called me and asked why she couldn't play Skyrim on her 7 year old basic laptop. The answer was it had a 256GB drive, but also that it was the purpose selected chrome + word usecase laptop. One of her friends had gotten her to buy it on recommendation and she is the type to be exacting once any decision is made. As she cannot play skyrim her fallback was to try to plug her N64 into her modern 4k TV, so cue me trying to explain RCA jacks and adapters, and it not working in the end since there is no one local to help. All in all a frustrating mess.

But I'm going to buy her a switch for her birthday next month. Get something for whatever time wasting need she has and something with mario for when she has friends over.

Not yet even owning a switch myself despite thinking about it for forever, critique me on the gift basket:

OLED switch, Breath of the Wild, Animal Crossing, Nintendo online sub for the N64 games, and an extra joycon pair

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

id reccomend a pro controller vs another joycon pair.

1 pair of joycons is enough for 90% of switch games to be played 2 player (that have multi). Pro Controller is the way to play though when in docked mode, especially for BOTW

also skyrim is on switch. and runs well.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Hot take: joycons suck. Even when playing in handheld mode. The right thumb stick is a bit awkward for me and becomes uncomfortable pretty quickly.

Pro controller is so much better.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Perfect i'll swap out animal crossing for Skyrim and the joycon for a pro

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

joycons are totally fine for what they are, but yeah extended play is rough on em. I have a grip I use that helps a ton though

https://www.satisfye.com/

only other thing youd want is a micro sd card to add to storage, BOTW takes up a ton of the internal space by itself.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Spider-man on PS4 was one of my favorites so got Miles Morales on sale. At first seemed like a DLC they were trying to pass off as a full game but after a while it started to click and became more likable, especially some of the new game modes and feels like they paid more attention to indoor fight mechanics. Still never gets old wrecking goons on a rooftop then afterwards looking around and seeing some of them stuck to skyscraper windows across the street.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Spider-man on PS4 was one of my favorites so got Miles Morales on sale. At first seemed like a DLC they were trying to pass off as a full game but after a while it started to click and became more likable, especially some of the new game modes and feels like they paid more attention to indoor fight mechanics. Still never gets old wrecking goons on a rooftop then afterwards looking around and seeing some of them stuck to skyscraper windows across the street.

I just finished Miles Morales last weekend and I really really enjoyed my time with it. Which surprised me because a lot of people were pissed that it was basically an expansion pack but I enjoyed it a ton and it didn't over stay it's welcome.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

I just finished Miles Morales last weekend and I really really enjoyed my time with it. Which surprised me because a lot of people were pissed that it was basically an expansion pack but I enjoyed it a ton and it didn't over stay it's welcome.

For sure especially after I started using the venom attacks and exploring the side missions. The original is a contender for best ever superhero game but was frustrating how the DLC was so lackluster, going from the main game with spectacular battles against the sinister six and Mr Negative being an interesting villain to battling the generic mafia and running errands for Black Cat.

It was a little silly at the start of Miles Morales how it gets handwaved how Roxxon is an energy company with good PR but patrols the streets with armored cars and rocket launchers without that making sense other than giving you someone to fight, but it got a bit better as the Underground has a more coherent backstory. Also really liked going around trying to locate unique sounds for Miles' uncle, interesting use of the city space that wasn't the same old missions.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah, oddly enough, the collectables in Miles Morales and Spider-Man weren't a total chore and I really enjoyed going back to get all of them. The audio samples was surprisingly fun even though my initial knee jerk reaction to that and any collectable type quest is "ugh, how long is this going to take?".

Really hoping we get a solid Spider-Man 2 game at some point cause I heartedly agree, the original was probably the best super hero game I've ever played.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My problem with collectathon checklist games is that they’re all the same. They just have a new coat of paint. Assassin’s Creed is Horizon is Far Cry.

The last Spider-Man game I played had excellent terrain traversal but that wasn’t enough to hold my attention once I got done scaling all of the buildings and jumping off of them.

The reason Elden Ring still has my attention is because I have no loving clue what I’m looking for half the time and I’m thoroughly engaged in the world, not engaged in the endorphin rush of basically scratching something off of a list.

The open world format is just very stale to me.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, oddly enough, the collectables in Miles Morales and Spider-Man weren't a total chore and I really enjoyed going back to get all of them. The audio samples was surprisingly fun even though my initial knee jerk reaction to that and any collectable type quest is "ugh, how long is this going to take?".

Really hoping we get a solid Spider-Man 2 game at some point cause I heartedly agree, the original was probably the best super hero game I've ever played.

Yeah the Arkham games had that problem. Didn't mind finding riddler trophies in Asylum as the map wasn't too big and exploration was fun. City became a bit of a chore but there was that glitch (didn't seem intentional) where anything collected with Catwoman counted towards Batman's total so he didn't have to 100% the map to get the achievement. I finished the main story in Knight and saw the map had suffered a smallpox outbreak of riddler trophies and just watched the achievement video on YouTube.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah I played and beat Arkham Knight for the first time earlier this year, and while I loved every second of it, I had zero desire to get the riddler stuff done for the "true" ending. So yeah, went to YouTube for the "true" ending as well.

Spider-Man balanced that kind of stuff perfectly.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

We definitely are with the same design company and it looks great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIQ3xNqkVC4. I might have to try to get a PS5 for that.

They're also making a Wolverine game set in the same universe which should be awesome, hope they go for the M rating like X-Men Origins: Wolverine which had fun brutal combat.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

So after years of false starts and just not "getting it", I finally managed to make Bloodborne click for myself last night. I get it now.

My friend wouldn't shutup about Elden Ring and I decided that I was only gonna buy it if I could make Bloodborne click for me, and it finally did. :feelsgood:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

We definitely are with the same design company and it looks great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIQ3xNqkVC4. I might have to try to get a PS5 for that.

They're also making a Wolverine game set in the same universe which should be awesome, hope they go for the M rating like X-Men Origins: Wolverine which had fun brutal combat.

drat, I didn't even realize that was announced. Then again I was in the middle of the Scottish highlands when that announcement came out so that would explain it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

So after years of false starts and just not "getting it", I finally managed to make Bloodborne click for myself last night. I get it now.

My friend wouldn't shutup about Elden Ring and I decided that I was only gonna buy it if I could make Bloodborne click for me, and it finally did. :feelsgood:

drat, I didn't even realize that was announced. Then again I was in the middle of the Scottish highlands when that announcement came out so that would explain it.

Oh yeah I need to give Bloodborne a try. I've never tried a Souls game but keep hearing good things. And goons were right about RE2 on PS4 being a blockbuster.

Giving up on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Not a disaster but so dang boring. I play for two hours and barely get through one side mission. Why do I have this giant arsenal without no one to fight?

That's neat you were in Scotland, I went on a Rick Steves tour there a few years ago and had a great time. Especially seeing a sheep dog herding demonstration those were impressive and I got to hold a puppy afterwards. Was also good to get reminders that American museums are at their best maybe AA baseball compared to the UK's all star line up. The museum at the Battle of Culloden was fascinating, I went in knowing next to nothing about what happened and they had an innovative set up where you walked down hallways showing the leadup to the battle and one side explained what the rebels were doing while the other explained the actions of the English, so you could get a better picture of motivations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I only want to know if a collectible goal is usable or valuable without spoiling the whole loving goal.

I think there's games that tell you if turning things collectibles gives more story options or gear; get frustrated when there's gear in single player because I want shiny, fringe for hours,, and it's mid level garbage.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Both Bloodborne and Sekiro are 2 of the best games of the last 10 years, highly recommend everyone gives them a chance. Bloodborne is pretty easy once you have a good grasp on how these games work, I bet anyone that picked up Elden Ring will have an easy time with Bloodborne.

Sekiro has the most mechanically polished and difficult boss fights of any game I've ever played but deaths aren't that punishing and the game gives you plenty of tools to counter them. It also adds some really good verticality to the maps with the addition of the grappling hook to swing around.

Probably going to go back to Sekiro once I 100% Elden Ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I got a 3060 for next to nothing and so far have played Forza Horizon 5, which has to be one of the prettiest games I've seen, TW3 which no longer lags when I'm looking over the whole battle, and Control. Control looks even spookier than it did before, as well as being gorgeous.

5/5 would 3060 again