Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volte posted:

Now that takes me back to 2005

can we install enlightenment?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Wait can you not just connect the Steam Deck to a PC to access it's SD card like a phone?

Welcome to Linux, console and PC players. Don't worry it won't even take you a whole afternoon to learn how to import SSH keys and set up an SFTP server.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

You can open a browser and just use a free cloud drive right?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Heran Bago posted:

Wait can you not just connect the Steam Deck to a PC to access it's SD card like a phone?

Welcome to Linux, console and PC players. Don't worry it won't even take you a whole afternoon to learn how to import SSH keys and set up an SFTP server.

Linux can read most other OS' filesystems, Windows can't :shrug:

You can try something like https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ to see if it works.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I plan on doing something like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt-Y5DYy9mU

Since the SD card will just be holding games I can re-download, I'm not too worried about potential file system corruption in Windows.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Gonna need to see some benchmarks across micro SD card file systems and card class. I think I've read that it doesn't make full use of upper class 10 SD card speeds, so it's possible SD card file system won't even have a measurable impact.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Many games are already compressed, but some aren't and should therefore benefit from being stored on a file system with transparent compression that isn't NTFS (because NTFS compression sucks). I'm actually surprised that Valve uses the ext family instead.

Btrfs is notoriously unreliable and I would never use it on a removable drive, but since it's just games who cares.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

Btrfs is notoriously unreliable and I would never use it on a removable drive, but since it's just games who cares.

Also, saves are immediately uploaded to the cloud after exiting the game, so losing them shouldn't ever really be a problem unless you had some sort of bad crash that prevents that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

lordfrikk posted:

Linux can read most other OS' filesystems, Windows can't :shrug:

You can try something like https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ to see if it works.

Be real careful with those. Most data on Steam Deck is derived so I guess it's not a big deal if you corrupt your card, but those kinds of apps can wreck your poo poo even just reading. The ones that let you write from Windows are basically a game of push your luck.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
^^^ Good point!

Antigravitas posted:

This opinion seems to have a weird momentum in the community. Are you talking about your personal experiences? I've been using Btrfs on my NAS (RAID 1) and all my devices (laptops, PCs) without issues for years now.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Yes, I'm a storage admin. I have first-hand experience in catastrophic failures in a variety of scenarios (exclusively test machines, thankfully), plus I'm aware of several extremely bad foot guns scattered around its tooling, including ones where mirrors will quietly lose data in non-obvious ways.

The only valid use case is the Facebook one: A single disk. I use it with transparent compression enabled to store my X4 game saves because it cuts my save times in half, and that's the maximum I'm willing to go with it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my friend who knows what he's doing just gave me instructions for how to host a sshd server or whatever on the Deck and hook into it on my PC over wifi and it's extremely simple to send files over. I can try to put those instructions together this evening when I'm at my computer if that would be helpful

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It's funny to me that the same people who claim that setting up SFTP on a Linux machine "will take a whole afternoon" have no issues using some rando third-party Windows tools to scribble all over their SD cards instead.

Put your SD card in the Deck and leave it in. Don't take it out unless you're putting in a larger card.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's funny to me that the same people who claim that setting up SFTP on a Linux machine "will take a whole afternoon" have no issues using some rando third-party Windows tools to scribble all over their SD cards instead.

Put your SD card in the Deck and leave it in. Don't take it out unless you're putting in a larger card.

like literally you just have to know how to find your IP address and type some stuff into Konsole. it's nbd, if you're the type of nerd who'd buy a Linux Game Boy I'd have assumed you'd be the type of nerd who enjoyed fidgeting with your devices

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

If your other PC is also Linux you could just install KDE Connect on both devices and pair them: https://userbase.kde.org/KDEConnect

It's what I use with my phone and Laptop because it also shares clipboard and other stuff.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

grieving for Gandalf posted:

my friend who knows what he's doing just gave me instructions for how to host a sshd server or whatever on the Deck and hook into it on my PC over wifi and it's extremely simple to send files over. I can try to put those instructions together this evening when I'm at my computer if that would be helpful

Yes please

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think it was the Phaux who mentioned using warpinator to transfer files between various computers and the steam deck. Does anyone have experience with warpinator?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It certainly seems a bit obscure.

Syncthing should work as well.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Setting up SFTP from scratch is not trivial if you're just used to moving data to a SD card on a PSP, Nintendo Switch, or smartphone. It's reasonable to expect smartphone-like behaviour when you connect to a PC with a USB cable.

Not a problem personally because it's fun to tinker but it's a big ask for a caveman with some romsets. I like ExcessBLarg!'s solution of just never interacting with it.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Does Steam OS have a battery life advantage over Windows 10 on this thing?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Heran Bago posted:

Setting up SFTP from scratch is not trivial if you're just used to moving data to a SD card on a PSP, Nintendo Switch, or smartphone.
Who said "from scratch"? Apparently the Deck already has OpenSSH installed. Unfortunately I can't verify that as I'm not going to be able to get one for months, but if Reddit is to be believed, the process consists of:
  • Setting a password ("passwd")
  • Starting the SSH server ("sudo systemctl start sshd")

Heran Bago posted:

It's reasonable to expect smartphone-like behaviour when you connect to a PC with a USB cable.
When was the last time you connected a PC to another PC with a USB cable?

Beyond that, USB with actual-mobile devices isn't as straightforward as folks make it out to be. The PSP is a very old device and supports USB Mass Storage, which is fine. The Switch doesn't support USB connectivity with a PC at all. Smartphones are either (i) iPhone so use iTunes, (ii) Android so maybe you can use MTP, or maybe you can use adb, or maybe it just doesn't work either.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Marx Headroom posted:

Max TDP is the same either way, but Windows doesn't have any of the on-the-fly TDP adjustment or frame cap features SteamOS has.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Dramicus posted:

I think it was the Phaux who mentioned using warpinator to transfer files between various computers and the steam deck. Does anyone have experience with warpinator?

I couldn't get warpinator to work when I spent 5 minutes trying it, but that may have been an issue with my network.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Who said "from scratch"? Apparently the Deck already has OpenSSH installed. Unfortunately I can't verify that as I'm not going to be able to get one for months, but if Reddit is to be believed, the process consists of:

When was the last time you connected a PC to another PC with a USB cable?

Beyond that, USB with actual-mobile devices isn't as straightforward as folks make it out to be. The PSP is a very old device and supports USB Mass Storage, which is fine. The Switch doesn't support USB connectivity with a PC at all. Smartphones are either (i) iPhone so use iTunes, (ii) Android so maybe you can use MTP, or maybe you can use adb, or maybe it just doesn't work either.

A layperson is gonna understand little of that and not know what to do next. Syncthing is a better suggestion for non-Linux-regulars.

Good point that the Deck is a true PC and therefore can't do USB connectivity like Android Linux smartphones do. The Switch uses FAT32 or exFAT for the cards so USB connectivity isn't needed to ferry data. That's a good option for Deck if SD card file system doesn't hit load times too hard.

VVV Honest answer, people are imagining and suggesting roundabout solutions because they made the SD card contents inaccessible to most computers. Yourself included - SMB is another ok suggestion but in a perfect world it shouldn't be necessary for this.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 22, 2022

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
This is an honest question. Why would someone suggest setting up intermediately complicated solutions like SFTP instead of a SMB share, which is trivial on Windows? Is it a security issue to make sure nobody is hacking into your WiFi network to access your ROMs?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm not the computer wizard I pretended to be in high school anymore but I can follow directions and it was like five minutes

ExcessBLarg! posted:

pretty sure this is what I did. I'll make a user-friendly guide this evening, I get it if someone who hasn't ever played with the terminal doesn't feel comfortable just jumping in and typing poo poo in

I tried the apps like Warpinator and so on first and they were having problems, that's why I went to my more savvy buddy in the first place

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Marx Headroom posted:

Yes, someone, I forget who did a video testing and found that Steam OS has better life in general and under Windows 10, it's possible to drain the battery faster than you can charge in certain circumstances, which never happened under linux.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I believe The Phawx did a video where he reported that.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That's kinda disappointing about the battery life but thanks for the info!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Guess Valve decided phoning me was too much effort since they've just emailed me a return label and RMA documents. Probably for the best, I don't see them fixing a non-functional L3 with software or something.

Unfortunately it's a DHL label and there aren't any DLH drop-off locations close enough to go to after work. I'll have to wait until the weekend to drop it off.

Hopefully it won't take too long to get my replacement.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

it's nbd, if you're the type of nerd who'd buy a Linux Game Boy I'd have assumed you'd be the type of nerd who enjoyed fidgeting with your devices

I think Valve have done a pretty good job of making the Deck a device that doesn't demand the user be a Linux nerd. If you never go into desktop mode - they never push it at you - then you're going to get a basically console-like experience; maybe not as seamless as modern consoles, but at least comparable to something like the OG Xbox. The Deck is one of the smoothest Linux OOBEs I've seen.

Obviously some of the first round of adopters are going to be Linux nerds, but a lot of them are going to be less tech-savvy people who just play a lot of video games and have money to burn, and naturally they're going to be Valve's primary audience.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'm a linux nerd and programmer and I pretty much never expect to use my steam deck outside of steam os. I like the simplicity. I don't need to tinker I just want to play games. And honestly though the software still needs some work, it pretty much just works already.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Heran Bago posted:

A layperson is gonna understand little of that and not know what to do next. Syncthing is a better suggestion for non-Linux-regulars.
There is not a single lay-person who owns a Deck right now. Everyone who owns one either got their preorder in by 12:06:01 or whatever, or they paid $$$$ for it. So if you're savvy enough to have done that and and "now how do I put my ROMs on this thing?" you can follow typing in two command lines from the Wiki.

This is an order of magnitude easier than hacking a Switch or 3DS even, and plenty of people in this forum did just that for ROMs on the go too.

Heran Bago posted:

The Switch uses FAT32 or exFAT for the cards so USB connectivity isn't needed to ferry data.
The Switch also has a broken exFAT implementation that frequently corrupts cards when used for homebrew. So you have to use your special FAT32 formatter to make a SDXC card FAT32 with the correct cluster size. Again, no way that's actually easier than enabling SSH on the Deck.

And I don't know, maybe the Deck ships with Samba too.

Heran Bago posted:

VVV Honest answer, people are imagining and suggesting roundabout solutions because they made the SD card contents inaccessible to most computers.
There's genuine advantages to using ext4 on a SD card Linux than FAT32 or exFAT or whatever, it's not like they did it just to inconvenience people. Plus, doing network transfers is better since you don't have to take the card out, look for your SD adapter, etc.

Really the biggest complaint you can make about the situation right now is that we're still in the first weeks of Deck "homebrew" and things are still a bit murky for Windows users, but give it time and you'll have nice and clean solutions soon enough.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kwolok posted:

I'm a linux nerd and programmer and I pretty much never expect to use my steam deck outside of steam os. I like the simplicity. I don't need to tinker I just want to play games. And honestly though the software still needs some work, it pretty much just works already.

I totally agree. It's way better than I was expecting and it will only improve from here on out (I assume). I imagine that by the time the Steam Deck 2 comes out, the experience will be easily better than what you get on the switch. It's already better now in many ways in my opinion.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Steam Deckcessories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY6aWgYFl1Y

MicroSD card benchmarks - they all seem reasonably fast, write speed doesn't matter as much because games generally don't download that fast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNX4SFMftEY

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Is ext3 default for arch linux? Who installs ext3 these days?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

"ext3" doesn't really exist nowadays. If I remember my kernel code correctly, "ext3" is just ext4 with special mount options and you wouldn't use it unless you specifically don't want journaling.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

maybe it's just my use cases but I've had to do a ton of fiddling with my Deck, especially for emulators, but I expected that

actually, I downloaded Inscryption the other day expecting it to work since it's registered as Playable on ProtonDB, but it's crashing immediately. can't even Google to see if anyone else is facing a similar problem, using the search terms "steam deck" only gets me a deluge of reviews and things like that for the device itself

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

maybe it's just my use cases but I've had to do a ton of fiddling with my Deck, especially for emulators, but I expected that

actually, I downloaded Inscryption the other day expecting it to work since it's registered as Playable on ProtonDB, but it's crashing immediately. can't even Google to see if anyone else is facing a similar problem, using the search terms "steam deck" only gets me a deluge of reviews and things like that for the device itself

Try the linux beta to launch natively? https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/t3u8l0/inscryption_mac_linux_beta_help_wanted/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

oh, interesting, I hadn't been able to find this! I wonder if there's another step after you've opted in to the beta? I don't think it's installing another version of the game or anything, and it's still not opening