Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This was my first F1 race. I recently started listening to the Shift+F1 podcast so I wasn't entirely overwhelmed. It was a lot of fun!

I picked one team to follow based on two scientific factors: I wanted to like the livery, and I wanted to root for a middle-tier team so I'd pay more attention to the entire field during a race. This means I went with Alpha Tauri. When Gasly's car went up in flames I knew I made the right call. They did manage to get some points, and I was surprised by how invested I felt as Tsunoda made his way into the top ten.

I'm definitely hooked. The presentation was great, even if I wanted more top-down shots of the broader field. I guess that's one of the reasons people sign up for F1 TV.

welcome to F1 and the worst thread :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Dexo posted:

Please ignore the Italians, they are ornery after having the smallest taste of success.

Support of any team is welcome here as it's not Red Bull.

Excuse me - Checo WDC 2022.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I've always been a massive ferrari fan personally

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

This was my first F1 race. I recently started listening to the Shift+F1 podcast so I wasn't entirely overwhelmed. It was a lot of fun!

I picked one team to follow based on two scientific factors: I wanted to like the livery, and I wanted to root for a middle-tier team so I'd pay more attention to the entire field during a race. This means I went with Alpha Tauri. When Gasly's car went up in flames I knew I made the right call. They did manage to get some points, and I was surprised by how invested I felt as Tsunoda made his way into the top ten.

I'm definitely hooked. The presentation was great, even if I wanted more top-down shots of the broader field. I guess that's one of the reasons people sign up for F1 TV.

Root for Alpine with me, we have a nightmarish garish pink livery (will become blue and pink in a few races), WDC Alonso (currently lower in ranking than his teammate) and Estabon Ocon, formula 1 race winner rookie

Also you get the pleasure of languishing in the midpack forever and ever with me

And trust in El Plan

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

italian quid posted:

gently caress off if you aren't supporting Ferrari

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

Estabon Ocon

You mean Cinnabon Ocon.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm still on team Mclaren.

I can't quit you.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I can't quit you.

Good man

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

FF1S admits how lovely F1 and everyone involved in it is, so I vote for that

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

the only ornery gently caress around here is called 'Christian'

The Italians and Scud Buds are model posters.

That’s right

Forza Ferrari

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

FF1S admits how lovely F1 and everyone involved in it is, so I vote for that

Which of the two podcasts is the most newbie friendly?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aphex- posted:

I haven't listened to Shift+F1 but it took less than 5 minutes for the new For F1's Sake episode to get into serial killer talk so that's my vote.

There was also a discussion about Guenther Steiner's penis

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thanks Ants posted:

There was also a discussion about Guenther Steiner's penis

guenther mic'd up but the camera's outside the haas bus and he's repeatedly stumbling over the word "peyronie's"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Which of the two podcasts is the most newbie friendly?

shift-F1 has a pre season primer episode they do for completely new people to the sport every year.

It looks like this years version is here

https://www.f1.cool/blog/178

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Residency Evil posted:

If I only have room for one F1 podcast in my schedule, should it be For F1's Sake or Shift+F1?

shift f1 is fun (and has rob zacny :swoon: )

Carrier
May 12, 2009

why would I listen to an F1 podcast when I could just read this thread?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Carrier posted:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Carrier posted:

same but the motorsport dot com comment section and its rogues gallery of unmedicated borderline personality disorders

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Just as I feared.

Insufferable Ferrari worship.

And only after one race?

I’m on the Charl bandwagon but you people make me regret it

🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌 #ForzaSTFU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I get all my motorsports news by reading the first three sentences of a Joe Saward article

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mustache Ride posted:

What happened to the Philip Morris mission winnow sponsorship on the scud? Did they not want the marblo money anymore?

Mission Winnow was pushed out of the sport by a combination of very biased Br*tish and A*stralian frauds who didn't support all the epic win things the Mission Winnow imitative was doing. Very sad.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

italian quid posted:

I get all my motorsports news by reading the first three sentences of a Joe Saward article

I get mine by typing "f1 geunther" into the twitter search box and then scrolling until i find satisfaction

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So are they making any changes to the Jeddah circuit this year? Last year's race was a such a delightful shitshow of fast straights and blind corners.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I can't quit you.

How did our Cool And Good Papaya Lads seem to have gotten it so wrong? :negative:

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

I get it.

Edit: Oh wait NOW I get it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it's a bad color

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

So are they making any changes to the Jeddah circuit this year? Last year's race was a such a delightful shitshow of fast straights and blind corners.

yeah, this year i hear that there will be a risk of bombings against Aramco sponsor by Houthi rebels

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GramCracker posted:

How did our Cool And Good Papaya Lads seem to have gotten it so wrong? :negative:

The Google money is cursed, OP

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
My favorite bit of Jeddah last year was they spent an inordinate amount of money hosting that grand prix and lighting up buildings and everything and from the actual cameras during the race you could see none of it, it was like the race was in a featureless void. Just an epic waste of money.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

if a mod sees this can i have my papaya bois tag back please, i'm too poor to buy a new av

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I've always been a massive ferrari fan personally

Same #VivaEnzo #EspressoFerrari

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Welcome to the thread!

First off you should get a primer on the thread for people to ignore:

1. Ferrari supporters. They're happy for now because they won, but it'll only take a few bad Jock Clear calls before they start throwing the racial epithets around. Ferrari throwing away championships due to incompetence is as inevitable as the sunrise. You hope for them to do well regardless because at least it's not Mercedes.

2. Mercedes supporters. Easily the most tedious of the bunch. Medcedes has dominated the sport for the last 7 years and gifted Lewis Hamilton 6 of his 7 WDC's. Because of this, this group believes Lewis to be the 2nd coming of christ just because he can open DRS and pass the entire field on the straight. They're all very quiet now because Mercedes has been fairly mediocre lately, but they're a good team so by the European leg of the season they should be back near the front. Mercedes has ruined the sport for the better part of a decade. You'll see this group throwing around a lot of asterisks like a bunch of entitled Karen's because they're still salty about something that happened 3 months ago.

3. Red Bull supporters. Lmao there aren't any. Christian Horner is a bad person, Helmut Marko is a nazi, and Max Verstappen has the personality of someone who has suffered child abuse. The only cool person in the RBR organization is Adrian Newey, but he doesn't come on camera anymore. [EDIT] Checo Perez is also cool af. And is more deserving of a WDC than Minimum Vercrappen.

4. McLaren supporters. The most popular team with the best looking car. McLaren supporters are the most level headed and good looking of the bunch. The car has some major technical flaws this year and it's not super quick but we know the lads will figure it out.

Everyone else: This thread is largely a cesspit from categories 1 and 2, but the occasional chats with everyone else are what make this thread ok.

You picked a good first team with Alpha Tauri. Pierre and Yuki are good lads, and the team is consistent enough to stay in the midfield, but competent enough that if the race gets wild they can pull out a surprise good result. The red bull connection is unfortunate, but it is what it is. If you're looking for a number 2 team to root for I suggest Alpine or Williams.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 22, 2022

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

GramCracker posted:

Good lads, but they've gotta stop Danny from filling the cars with biltong and koala blood.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I'm gonna say it - Sharl is a lot more likeable now than before the two years Ferrari were sort of bad. He's been humbled and is cool and good now.

Garlos Sainz is also cool and good.

McLaren are just sandbaggin' don't worry about a thing

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Good lads, but they've gotta stop Danny from filling the cars with biltong and koala blood.

Danny before every race:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns15eHLDv1I

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The only people in this thread to avoid, are Amerikkkans and Br*tish posters.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Ignore all these people and root for Haas

KMag WDC 2022

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

MustardFacial posted:

Welcome to the thread!

First off you should get a primer on the thread for people to ignore:

1. Ferrari supporters. They're happy for now because they won, but it'll only take a few bad Jock Clear calls before they start throwing the racial epithets around. Ferrari throwing away championships due to incompetence is as inevitable as the sunrise. You hope for them to do well regardless because at least it's not Mercedes.

2. Mercedes supporters. Easily the most tedious of the bunch. Medcedes has dominated the sport for the last 7 years and gifted Lewis Hamilton 6 of his 7 WDC's. Because of this, this group believes Lewis to be the 2nd coming of christ just because he can open DRS and pass the entire field on the straight. They're all very quiet now because Mercedes has been fairly mediocre lately, but they're a good team so by the European leg of the season they should be back near the front. Mercedes has ruined the sport for the better part of a decade. You'll see this group throwing around a lot of asterisks like a bunch of entitled Karen's because they're still salty about something that happened 3 months ago.

3. Red Bull supporters. Lmao there aren't any. Christian Horner is a bad person, Helmut Marko is a nazi, and Max Verstappen has the personality of someone who has suffered child abuse. The only cool person in the RBR organization is Adrian Newey, but he doesn't come on camera anymore.

4. McLaren supporters. The most popular team with the best looking car. McLaren supporters are the most level headed and good looking of the bunch. The car has some major technical flaws this year and it's not super quick but we know the lads will figure it out.

Everyone else: This thread is largely a cesspit from categories 1 and 2, but the occasional chats with everyone else are what make this thread ok.

You picked a good first team with Alpha Tauri. Pierre and Yuki are good lads, and the team is consistent enough to stay in the midfield, but competent enough that if the race gets wild they can pull out a surprise good result. The red bull connection is unfortunate, but it is what it is. If you're looking for a number 2 team to root for I suggest Alpine or Williams.

This thread primer disgracefully fails to mention anything about the important topics of air fryers and cast iron cookware.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Generally, you can identify Br*tish posters by their extreme bias toward noted awful driver Lewis "Poois Shamilton" Hamilton, and anti-Italian racism. Amerikkkans can be identified as posters who talk about some streaming show about FOrmula 1. I have never seen this show but it seems like Lewis Hamilton propaganda as they tend to also be extremely biased toward Lewis "Poois Shamilton" Hamilton, and also biased against Italians. Most disgustingly they like to say very hurtful things about child-abuse victim Max Verstappen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

MustardFacial posted:

The only cool person in the RBR organization is Adrian Newey, but he doesn't come on camera anymore.

This clown didn’t even mention Checo, WDC of our hearts.