Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for forbidding my brother bringing his gf in our family events because my husband doesn't like it?

The whole part where the husband was dictating how other people could behave in their own home is a massive wtf that anyone involved every agreed to go along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for forbidding my brother bringing his gf in our family events because my husband doesn't like it?

quote:

My husband is an extremely religious and traditional guy

quote:

Before we left he only told my brother "you must feel proud for acting like a [c-word]"

:crossarms:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Catholic

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Came here to post that one. It gets better in the comments, though; OP explains that they are going to host all future family holidays so they can control the guest list. Redditors assure her that this will suit the rest of the family just fine, as they will continue to go to the party at the parents.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Olive Branch posted:

Man, is my Hakuna Matata parody last page just chopped liver? :(

You realize I'm hearing all of the parody lyrics to the tune of Piña Colada instead, right?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
My mother told me you wear white to signal your virginity in marriage, and obvs it just stuck around as society got more modern. I mentioned it to male coworkers and they didn't know the white color was symbolic. It seems a little weird to dress a kid in white because aren't they messy? I know it's taboo to wear white and not be the bride but then getting upset at children seems like much.

Clearly brides need to keep pigs blood on hand just in case anyone wears white

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm gonna need some quotes from the scripture on this one
It's like a biblical logic puzzle, You must ask your girlfriend's father for her hand in marriage but you can't meet the father until you're engaged.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

pentyne posted:

The question is how much time the friend spends complaining about her appearance wanting reassurances.

I think telling someone to exercise more and start up a serious make-up regimen is a hilariously poor choice but if you deal with someone who is constantly insisting they are ugly, refusing compliments, and also frequently bringing up the topic for whatever reason, some hard truths are better then empty platitudes.

poo poo, I'd go so far as telling her that constantly whining about being unattractive is probably the no 1 thing that makes people find her unattractive.

The "meats distributed" line is weird enough that the OP is still an rear end in a top hat though.

If someone tells you to your face that you have it easy because you're naturally attractive, you are allowed to bring up your grooming/exercise regimen, and if they are immediately dismissive of that, you can tell them to gently caress off. It might be the only scenario where OP would not be the rear end in a top hat for saying that.

I also choose to believe that OP is not a native English speaker and referring to someone's distribution of meats is perfectly natural in their local language. Plus that thing someone else said that all these observations probably stem directly from the friend obsessing over her appearance.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

My mother told me you wear white to signal your virginity in marriage, and obvs it just stuck around as society got more modern.
There used to be a popular belief that "white=virginity", but divorcees have been marrying in white for decades. Now white just says "wedding dress". It's not as if all the women who would otherwise be wearing white abstain because of the quickie they had last Thursday.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

JFC everyone but the OP and the neighbor need to go to prison or the sun

We have a perfectly good acid vat god drat it.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for snapping at my husbands aunt when she asked when I’ll have kids?

quote:

TW: Miscarriage

I (27f) and my husband (23m) got married two years ago. I generally get along with his family pretty well and he tries to get along with my family.

My family is not super close. We were upperclass. My siblings are ten years plus older than me and my parents raised me by handing me a credit card and letting me loose. My parents divorced when I was in high school and they got better after that and we actually formed a relationship. I love my parents but it is like I’m an only child with siblings. I have no attachment to my siblings at all. We get together for every Christmas and maybe Thanksgiving. That’s the most I see my family.

My husbands family is the exact opposite they are super close. He was raised where his family get together for everything. Extended family. Grandparents, great aunts and uncles, all of their kids and so on. Every minor holiday. Every birthday. Everything. It was a big shock going in.

It took about a year of dating before I got comfortable around his family. One of his cousins said I came off stuck up because I “wore nice clothes and didn’t talk much.” But once I got comfortable I opened up and joined conversations and I blended in fairly well.

My husband and I have had trouble with pregnancy. We have had one ectopic pregnancy that made me lose a Fallopian Tube and we have had 5 miscarriages all in the last 3 years. One was a 2nd trimester miscarriage. So we had already announced and had to explain to everyone we lost the baby. We have been pretty open with our struggles.

His extended family constantly asks if we’re going to try again or when we are going to have kids. And I always politely say we’re trying but I’m sick of it. I’ve talked to my MIL and husband (both of whom are great) and they said they would talk to them and get them to stop.

Here’s where I might be the rear end in a top hat. At family dinner last week. I was sitting around with all of his aunts and female cousins and they were just gossiping and chatting. When his great aunt looked at me and asked when we plan on “adding more babies to the family.” And I looked her dead in the eye and said “when my uterus decides to stop ejecting them prematurely.”

She looked at me stunned and I stood up and walked out of the room. I had a few people come up to me and tell me I was rude and that was uncalled for. That she’s older (60 something) and she just doesn’t know any better.

I don’t think what I said was wrong and don’t want to apologize. I mean I could have worded it better but if they want to get into business I feel is personal then why not give them the whole truth.

So Reddit. Should I apologize? AITA?

Edited to add TW

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is a god-tier response to an awful question.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Soylent Pudding posted:

That she’s older (60 something) and she just doesn’t know any better.

God drat do I hate when they use this excuse for old people. They are not children! They have presumably been on the earth long enough to experience many things, horrible and not! They absolutely should know better by now!

I find this especially frustrating when it comes to swear words. I'll say "poo poo" in front of an old person and then have people yell at me for being disrespectful. I argue they have been on this earth for 60 years, they have heard the word "poo poo" before and even used it themselves.

Somehow old people are the most resilient people that have ever lived because they have gone through so much more hardship but they are also delicate and will fall apart at the slightest discomfort.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

she asked and got an honest answer. what's the problem?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Johnny Truant posted:

r/relationships: but her meats are well distributed

MIL just called my kid the K slur (Jewish). Boyfriend insists she said 'tyke'. I know what I heard.

quote:

Apparently I can't use the word so I'll just say 'K'. If in doubt just google 'Jewish slur K'.

I'm Jewish. My son looks like a mix of both myself and my boyfriend IMO but MIL, on meeting her first ever grandchild for the first time ever, said it was a shame he came out a K. The second I heard that I asked her to leave. Boyfriend said she didn't say K, she said tyke, which rhymes with K and is British slang for a small child (we're British), and MIL agreed with him, but MIL saying it was a shame he came out a tyke makes no sense, and when I pointed that out MIL said that she said she 'knew he'd be a tyke'. Boyfriend then repeated that, and continued to repeat that, until I asked both MIL and Boyfriend to leave. He's now at his place and is texting me, repeating MIL's story.

I admit K and tyke sound similar, but there's no way I misheard 'knew he'd be a' as 'a shame he came out a', and even with the fact tyke means cheeky, my son was sleeping and not doing anything remotely cheeky, and saying it was a shame he came out a small child makes no sense. This is also not the only time I've felt MIL was being antisemitic and Boyfriend has insisted she wasn't and I've misunderstood/misinterpreted/misheard, and I'm getting pretty tired of him insisting that I'm wrong about her being antisemitic. I cannot and will not let my son grow up around antisemitism but nothing can be resolved unless she is willing to admit what she said and talk it out, which she won't, and Boyfriend is siding with MIL when we're meant to be a team here, which is not helping.

What should I do?

Edit RE the other times I thought MIL was antisemitic: She's refused to eat things I've cooked because she doesn't eat kosher/Jewish food. I've made things like fish and chips before now so she couldn't claim it was Jewish and she's still refused on the basis that she doesn't eat kosher food. My brother told her his Hebrew name and she called it gibberish and she calls any uses of Hebrew (or occasional Yiddish) gibberish. I get a healthy natural tan in summer due to my heritage and she's said my fake tanning makes me too dark and asked where I'm 'really' from (she did not find England an acceptable answer). My boyfriend has defended all of this.

UPDATE: MIL just called my kid the K slur (Jewish). Boyfriend insists she said 'tyke'. I know what I heard.

quote:

first post MIL called my son the K slur (google K slur Jewish if in doubt) and when I called MIL out, both MIL and Boyfriend denied it, claiming she said something else.

I sat Boyfriend down the day after I made my post, and told him I know what I heard and I wasn't going to let him and his mother manipulate me into thinking I heard something different. He then said that she didn't mean to call me that but she'd never say it about our son, so to the person who suggested that MIL actually said it was a "shame he came out of a K", as opposed to "shame he came out a K", which is what I thought she said, you were right. MIL wasn't calling my son a slur, she was calling me a slur, which I then realised my boyfriend was using as a defence of his mother.

I asked him if he was ever going to stand up for me or our son against a woman who was so clearly an antisemite, and he said his mother isn't an antisemite, and even if she was, which she isn't, our son isn't Jewish so it's not like she'd be antisemitic to him, and he personally wasn't antisemitic either. I told him that I have a duty of care to both myself and our Jewish son, so I would uphold the custody agreement we already have (he gets 1 weekend a month) and I'd civilly co-parent for the sake of our child, but I had no interest in pursuing our relationship further, and asked him to leave.

He spent the next few days trying to get me to reconsider but I haven't heard from him at all in the last 48 hours, so I think he's accepted my choice. According to the schedule, he's meant to have our son this weekend, but I've not heard from him about this as of right now and I appear to be blocked. I also got a text from MIL letting me know she's going for grandparent rights and visitation, which has to be an empty threat as a 2 minute google has already confirmed that she won't get it, but I'll check with a lawyer ASAP just to reassure myself.

I feel like this line from OP in the comments is killer:

quote:

Spineless cunts these people. I am sorry for that situation, I believe you absolutely did the right thing.

OP posted:

oval office implies warmth and depth, but thank you. I feel like I did the right thing, which is strange because I was expecting to be doubting myself after this, but I'm just not. I feel like I did the right thing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My mother told me you wear white to signal your virginity in marriage, and obvs it just stuck around as society got more modern. I mentioned it to male coworkers and they didn't know the white color was symbolic. It seems a little weird to dress a kid in white because aren't they messy? I know it's taboo to wear white and not be the bride but then getting upset at children seems like much.

I think the wedding industrial complex is dumb, but "I don't want anyone else wearing a white dress at my wedding" is a very simple and reasonable request and it's hard to imagine why anyone would object unless they're itching for a fight/are a 3 year old.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Soylent Pudding posted:

quote:

My husband suggested we start hosting family events in our house in the future. Especially events like Easter, Xmas or thanksgiving. So none of that happens again and we can be in control of the guest list

lmao good luck, let us know how it goes

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Last year I was at work, driving to my next delivery stop, and a tire blew out when I was doing about 60 on the highway. I managed to get off the highway safely, and when I called my dispatch to let them know what happened, my dispatch agent said that he couldn't take any of my stops off me, we were too busy, and then just dead air.

When I called the tow truck, the first thing the dispatch there asked was, "Are you okay, in a safe place?"

When I called my boss, I let her know about the rear end in a top hat our dispatcher had been, and her reply was, "Well, are you okay? Did he need to ask?"

When I got rear-ended at a traffic light all the accident and insurance folks I dealt with were absolutely lovely, the whole way through. I'm sure there are jerks, you definitely hear stories about them, but I think the good ones are trained or otherwise realize that whoever they're talking to is already having a very bad day.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The white wedding is a Victorian practice, as in, it was literally popularized by the marriage of Queen Victoria of England. White lace is expensive and difficult to maintain. It was a flex of wealth. Virginity was something projected on the practice later.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AITA for not giving back the dresser I refinished?

quote:

So many years ago, when I was going through job burnout, I took up the hobby of refinishing wood furniture. Over the years, I've amassed a fair amount of skill and specialty tools to achieve some outstanding results. About six months ago, a friend of mine was throwing away an old dresser that he and his wife felt (more the wife's decision than his) was cluttering up their basement (which they had renovated during the quarantine). I took the dresser off the curb and over the past several months, have taken it apart, cleaned off the many layers of paint and restored it back to original condition. The mahogany/oak wood responded beautifully to my work and the dresser looks amazing. I created custom nickel-plated hardware for the drawer pulls and updated the drawer mechanisms.

Last week, my friend and his wife were visiting and I showed them the restored dresser. The wife fell in love with the results and asked when I was going to bring it to their house, as it would "look great in their new guest bedroom". I told them how much it would cost if they wanted to buy it, as I had put in a fair amount of time and material restoring it. The wife, rather shrilly, reminded me that it was originally theirs and that if I didn't give it to them, it was stealing and she would call the police. Heated words were said back and forth (my friend kept quiet during the entire exchange) and I ended up asking them to leave.

AITA for not giving them the dresser without any compensation in return? Do I eat the cost and give it back to save my friendship?

Deep down I am convinced the friends are the parents of that person who turned down some free furniture and then asked to be Venmo'd the $700 that their roommate sold it for

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Deep down I am convinced the friends are the parents of that person who turned down some free furniture and then asked to be Venmo'd the $700 that their roommate sold it for

How do these people not just laugh in the whack people's faces?? "Well it's stealing I'll call the police on you!"

"Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, oh, Karen you slay me. Now get the gently caress out my house."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Don't worry, Milhouse doesn't count.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

MIL just called my kid the K slur (Jewish). Boyfriend insists she said 'tyke'. I know what I heard.

our son isn't Jewish

Correct me if I'm wrong but its my understanding that Jewish law explicitly states being Jewish by blood is passed down through the mother. So even if the son renounces it later in life he is still considered Jewish by blood.

I seem to remember this was a big deal in Israel when it comes to who is actually "Jewish".

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
shockingly, not everyone adheres to the strictest possible interpretation

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

limp_cheese posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but its my understanding that Jewish law explicitly states being Jewish by blood is passed down through the mother. So even if the son renounces it later in life he is still considered Jewish by blood.

I seem to remember this was a big deal in Israel when it comes to who is actually "Jewish".

You are correct.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DemoneeHo posted:

UPDATE: MIL just called my kid the K slur (Jewish). Boyfriend insists she said 'tyke'. I know what I heard.

An ex went through something similar but the person insisted she meant the lesbian slur instead. Because that's better?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

therattle posted:

You are correct.
I went to college somewhere where there were a lot of student from mixed Jewish-Gentile families, and so it was kind of weird that a bunch of people with noticeably Jewish surnames like "Weinstein" or "Meyerson" weren't "actually Jewish," and other people with surnames like "Johnson" or "Sanchez" "actually" were. Of course most of those people didn't take matriarchal lineage very seriously, and mostly they all practiced at least some amount of religious and/or cultural Judaism.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Traditionally Judaism is passed down through the mother. Most other Jews I know believe that if you were Jewish enough for the Nazis to go after you, you count.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't think OP is going to let the gentile father, or his more clearly antisemitic mother, dictate whether or not her son is Jewish, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 22, 2022

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Captain Hygiene posted:

I wonder if the woman has ever heard the term "theft of services" before.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wonder if the woman has ever heard the term "theft of services" before.

there's no such thing; obviously other people's labor isn't worth anything

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Are grandparents rights ever threatened by a grandparent that isn't actually using it as a weird power-act against the very mother and child they quite pointedly despise?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Oh, hey:

quote:

How delusional is this guy? Please inform him that his son is indeed Jewish, seeing as how his mother is Jewish.

OP posted:

I did tell him that. He doesn't believe it because we agreed to raise our son with both my Jewish and his Catholic faith and let our son decide later. I told him that doesn't stop our son being ethnically Jewish, or Jewish by descent, but ex insisted that it did.

Poor kid. :smith:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think OP is going to let the gentile father, or his more clearly antisemitic mother, dictate whether or not her son is Jewish, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I just thought it was funny the father who is pretending he is not antisemitic says his son isn't Jewish when the son is in a situation where he is Jewish by being born and existing. Just the hoops he is jumping through to lie to his mother and himself that his son isn't one of """those people""".

Next time she meets his mom she should dress the baby up like a rabbi, complete with those hats that have the curls on them already.

Edit: ^^^ Lol. Dude is straight up delusional and might as well be standing there with his fingers in his ears going "lalalalala I don't hear you so its not real."

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 22, 2022

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Parsley posted:

Are grandparents rights ever threatened by a grandparent that isn't actually using it as a weird power-act against the very mother and child they quite pointedly despise?

In most states (any state that has GPR except New York, I think) GPR only really kick in if the grandparents child is dead. As long as their kid is alive and saying they don’t want the grandparents around their kid that’s the end. So you’re right that’s usually how it’s threatened but it’s almost always toothless.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

limp_cheese posted:

It's also a big deal ethnically regardless of who is considered Jewish by Torah law, because there's quite a few medical issues that affect ethnically jewish people more often or differently than those of other ethnicities. Due to them marrying within the faith almost exclusively for literally over 2000 years.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
I think GPR is primarily used in instances where the grandparents played a significant part in raising the kid (usually because the actual parents were otherwise unfit to parent, or just neglectful) and the parents want to move the grandkids away, thus removing a stabilizing influence in the kid's life. Like most social services laws concerning children, it's in theory meant to protect the kids first, not feed some racist old woman's ego.

AITA for not letting my sister and nephew into my car?

quote:

My sister(34F) and nephew(7M) came from Utah to Cali to visit me and my bf. They said they wanted to see some national parks so we drove to Death Valley and was going to do some hiking. We hiked for a few hours and my nephew was exploring around. I wasn’t watching him until he came over and showed my sister a few rocks. I went to see what he found and he found some fossils with preserved clams looking things inside. I told him it has illegal to remove fossils from the park and told him to put it back where he found them. He started to get upset saying he found them so he should be able to keep them. She kept saying he was into fossils and wanted to keep them as souvenirs. My sister defended him saying it wasn’t a big deal and no one would find out and I thought it was insane she wouldn’t correct him but my sister always babied my nephew because he the only child that survived from 4 pregnancies. I told her he has to put it back or we aren’t leaving and she got angry and started arguing that it wasn’t a big deal. We got back to the car and I got in and locked the doors telling my nephew we are staying here until he puts things back. He started crying and my sister hugged him and tried to console him. My sister then kicked my car repeatedly and yelled and screamed at me though the car. After 30 min he gave up and put the fossils back on the ground. I let them in and my sister spent the rest of the car ride saying I don’t have kids so I don’t understand and how a few missing rocks wouldn’t make any difference so I was overreacting.
Park rangers don't gently caress around with people taking poo poo out of the parks. NTA.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for not letting my sister and nephew into my car?

Park rangers don't gently caress around with people taking poo poo out of the parks. NTA.

Good for them. Taking poo poo from parks because "nobody would find out" is lovely but happens all the time.

Also the boyfriends from the "tyke" story sounds like a real loving keeper.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I know that public parks are governed by rules and I'm supposed to follow them when I'm in the park, obviously. But what if it's an emergency situation, like if I don't want to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Also the boyfriends from the "tyke" story sounds like a real loving keeper.

Hey at least he was up front enough to outright state, this is the exact kind of person I am and how I will act in the future. You don't get that amount of honesty from a lot of these chucklefucks!