Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
On Malenia and Radahn, it's pretty clear that it was honorabru pvp duel until Mrs I-have-never-known-defeat got totally outplayed by Giant Dad, and she had to use magic, which as every souls player knows, is just easy-mode and unfair. She also had her blue summon carry her home before she died.

This is 100% a Radahn moral victory. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Guillermus posted:

Next game will be open world Armored Core :getin:

:pray:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

open world Bloodborne, but also not please not trapped on playstation

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Infinite Karma posted:

I'm not even sure that's really a curve. The "banished knight" equivalent at the Gatefront Ruins (the first place you go in Limgrave before the troll jumps down from the battlements) is so fast and aggressive that there's not really any way to fight him the right way even at endgame. You either aggressively stunlock, or create enough distance that he can't retaliate. His combos never leave an opening to punish, at most you can iframe through an attack and swing before his shield comes back into place, but it's even odds that you get hit back afterwards.

Stuff like the late game harpies and gnolls are so fast and aggressive that if one ever catches you unaware, odds are even that you'll never be able to roll out from under them and hit them back. It's either dominate them utterly from the get-go, or lose.

a lot of the enemies are definitely glass cannons but i don't agree with this, i can't really think of any enemy that has no openings, including that guy in the gatefront ruins who i beat with a dagger and zero poise breaks. i think if you spend the whole game poise-breaking and magic spamming and the other stuff the game lets you do to crush enemies, you probably won't have engaged much with enemy patterns and you won't be any good at dealing with them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have died enough to the chariots in fringefolk that I am considering abandoning the idea of getting the dumb dragon faith thing and just ignoring magic again

Update: mr beast talisman is doing just fine

How does this blood fly spell work? It does like 1 damage but the bleed is % based anyway so does higher scaling even matter

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

These mountain dudes are 2shotting me dear lord.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Beat the boss in castle sol by starting the fight with dragon rot breath. At 50% health the two spirits seem to vanish.

Also what the hell is with that knight with red glowing eyes that teleport right behind you. I thought I had a great vantage point to shoot some arrows but boy did it crush me. It also seems to be extremely aggressive and has some extra moves in it's combos. Does it drop anything good, because I can't be bothered anymore after the boss and this teleporting weirdo.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ughhhh posted:

Also what the hell is with that knight with red glowing eyes that teleport right behind you.

nothing personnel kid

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I posted this in the "things dragging down games" thread but I'll ask it here as well, am I missing something with the sorceries, or is Glintstone Pebble really just that good of a spell that it (seems to) outclass all the other spells the early game sorcery seller carries. The homing missles seem like they might be better on horseback, but as it stands, a charged shot costs more, deals less damage and takes longer to fire off than just chain-firing pebbles. Shards seems like it should be a hilariously amusing spell, but every time I've tried it, enemies just slog through it and stab me in the face (or force me to dodge, at which point I have to start casting it again, except now the enemy is in my face). The two spells from the first scroll... yeah, okay, those are worse, but they're explicitly called out as being for a non-pure magic build, so fair enough.

Arc is good for crowd control, but it's the other starting spell, so same situation. I've upgraded my starting staff to +3, but these are all glintstone spells anyways so :shrug:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

IronicDongz posted:

it's not for no reason, it's because that way you have to engage with boss attack patterns to a much more significant degree, and if you've been playing fromsoft games like this for over a decade at this point, learning to handle the boss attack patterns is probably like... most of what makes them fun.

when aggro is constantly getting taken away so you can do whatever you want, it's just not the same

I have been playing since Dark Souls and what makes fromsoft games fun for me is wandering around laughing at this horrible world I found myself in and seeing how it all connects (in DS, less so since). Bosses are whatever, I'm just here for the vibes. I do love the swordcat statue bosses.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

IronicDongz posted:

yes, and many people have avoided summoning this whole time due to exactly what I just said

except now it's a more central mechanic and there are side dungeons filled with upgrade materials for your summons and the reward for the boss there is a new summon unlock, and people will now say you're ignoring a core part of the game and making it harder for 'no reason'

this is just factually correct though?
if it makes it more fun for you that's cool, it sounded like it was making the first poster miserable with "well i'm giving up on the second boss because i think summoning is cheating" (you don't even have to fight any particular bosses in this game!)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Horace Kinch posted:

These mountain dudes are 2shotting me dear lord.

well you know what they say, born on a mountain, raised in a cave, loving horace kinch, is all that i crave

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ughhhh posted:

Also what the hell is with that knight with red glowing eyes that teleport right behind you. I thought I had a great vantage point to shoot some arrows but boy did it crush me. It also seems to be extremely aggressive and has some extra moves in it's combos. Does it drop anything good, because I can't be bothered anymore after the boss and this teleporting weirdo.

I don't know but it was hilarious when he did it to me. Made me a little paranoid about trying that tactic going forward

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have played the game for over a hundred hours now, and while I've hit some walls on things I initially thought were lovely, I think flying enemies might be the shittiest thing and the one thing I will never come around on. Most of them aren't even particularly dangerous or hard, they're just loving annoying. Bosses don't count though, killing the death rite bird was exceptionally satisfying, especially since it was That One Boss that I killed with no flasks and a tiny fraction of my hp remaining.

ughhhh posted:

Beat the boss in castle sol by starting the fight with dragon rot breath. At 50% health the two spirits seem to vanish.

Lmao I put down my summoning thing there and walked into the boss fight. I started dealing with the adds so the host could focus on the boss and the other summon just loving goku blasts the boss into oblivion lol

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Crucible knights are the best and most fun enemies to fight in the game.

After posting about it on the internet I beat it next try

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Random thing but what is the deal with the weird bottomless hole just next to Agheel Lake in Limgrave? There's nowhere else like it in the terrain in the entire game, and there's not really anything noteworthy about it besides that. There aren't even any interesting items around it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How does this blood fly spell work? It does like 1 damage but the bleed is % based anyway so does higher scaling even matter

It does pitiful damage by design because it's just meant to proc bleed in an area.

It's REALLY powerful situationally. It makes mincemeat out of Tree Sentinels if you can get them to stay still for a sec.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vargs posted:

There are giant ants all over the place and they are clearly tameable. Surely there are some giant termites around that we can wrangle on up there.

:same:

there are even knights riding ants... which criminally only show up like twice??

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

while I'm at it, minor lore questions/observations that assume other people might be able to shed light on for me:

- those guys with the long necks, e.g. Gatekeeper dude, is there a lore reason they got those long necks?

- on the same subject, is everyone who doesn't look all Hallowed out a tarnished?

- what exactly is the "omen curse"? is it just being a crusty barnacle guy?

- do you think all the giants had faces in their tummies that got scooped out in order to subjugate them? Not sure how that would work exactly but it did always feel like there was something missing there. Bonus question: what do you think their skin texture is? Kinda looks like cocktail shrimp to me

- re the big face under the castle: the same big face is later found deep undergound as a part of fia's quest. I'm pretty sure they explicitly say it's the same guy (Godwyn). So... did it move? is one of them merely symbolic? Or is this just some typical fromsoft "ah yes time/space is convoluted so sometimes overlapping quest triggers make the world state seem to contradict itself" type stuff?

- is the civilization of the eternal cities the same as that which produced the ruins laying all over the place? I sorta presumed that the latter are from farum azula, and are completely unrelated to the former, just going off the architecture. However I've watched some lore videos in a desperate bid to understand the story and many of the somber-voiced commenters on youtube are suggesting they're the same.

- on that note, seems like there are 3 or 4 distinct styles down there, I like to think each of them represents another civilization that got wrecked. Just how many times has the greater will pulled some poo poo like this :thunk: very gwyn.

- the little guys with the cool hats and bleed weapons: what's their deal? They seem to be found guarding the approach to some explicitly forbidden zones, but are they free agents or what?

- has anyone seen/heard any actual accusations against sellen? Like the most I noticed was Jerren (I think) saying "she did bad stuff to her fellow wizards", but all of the spells she taught me seemed to be standard stuff all the burger king dudes were casting all game, so I'm not sure what she was getting out of it. her co-conspirators had much cooler spells/fits, but what about the lady herself? Is it just that she wanted to overthrow the queen? I guess that's a good reason for her to be a wanted woman but then why does Jerren care?

- finally the most spoilery of my confusions: Who do the black assassins work for? Ranni straight up tells you she founded them to kill some guys for real but then at the very end, it looks like they were responsible for merking Iji and Blaidd... did she tell them to do that or are they out of her control? I've tried to piece together what their fuckin aim is based on where I found them hiding/guarding, but haven't found much of a pattern.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Relevant Tangent posted:

if it makes it more fun for you that's cool, it sounded like it was making the first poster miserable with "well i'm giving up on the second boss because i think summoning is cheating" (you don't even have to fight any particular bosses in this game!)

I think some people think of summoning in From games as "easy mode" and look down on it, but given that the online nature and summoning/invasions are a core part of the experience, it seems more like refusing to summon is actually "hard mode" and that using summons is more like a regular/intended difficulty. Which seems more true in Elden Ring than ever before, given the spirit summons.

No shade intended to the people that like to play solo, just an observation.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I just realized Fallingstar Beast Jaw let’s you rapid fire the weapon art. 3-4 of those will stun bosses, and it’s only like 10 FP. Im torn between the Jaw or Starscourge Swords for my +10. How many are in the game?

I’ve also sworn of Mimic (for now, unless I hit a brick wall boss), but my Lhutel is at +9 and is a really solid tank. She has a great shield, teleports, and can do ranged damage. I haven’t found Tiche yet, but I’m interested to see how much damage she can actually do. Besides the Mimic I’ve never seen a summon actually DPS. I also got 2 of the +10 ghostwort flowers so I’m hesistant to get Lhutel up to max because I know they are limited too.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Relevant Tangent posted:

Summons trivialize almost all 1v1 fights because instead of learning the bosses patterns you just jump attack their back and then back off until the summon gets aggro again. "I don't enjoy fighting this boss solo because they feel too hard" and "I don't enjoy fighting this boss with a summon because it feels like I'm not really playing the game" are not contradictory statements. Both can be true at the same time.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The Valiant Gargoyles can eat my entire butt. I can get the first one down, but I'm usually too badly injured to beat the second one by that point. Using the Prelate's Crozier, but thinking of switching to a faster Strike weapon because while I love the thing, it's slow as hell.

Any advice on good summons or tactics? I'm a Str melee build, mostly 2H big weapons.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Randalor posted:

I posted this in the "things dragging down games" thread but I'll ask it here as well, am I missing something with the sorceries, or is Glintstone Pebble really just that good of a spell that it (seems to) outclass all the other spells the early game sorcery seller carries. The homing missles seem like they might be better on horseback, but as it stands, a charged shot costs more, deals less damage and takes longer to fire off than just chain-firing pebbles. Shards seems like it should be a hilariously amusing spell, but every time I've tried it, enemies just slog through it and stab me in the face (or force me to dodge, at which point I have to start casting it again, except now the enemy is in my face). The two spells from the first scroll... yeah, okay, those are worse, but they're explicitly called out as being for a non-pure magic build, so fair enough.

Eeeeh, the basic moves are usually sufficient to complete the game if you don't want to do anything more exciting. That is a Souls staple. Straight Sword, basic sorceries/pyromancies etc. It works but it's neither exciting, nor does it work well for a lot of particular things you might want to do - knock something down? Need something else. Want to deny an area? Something else. Particular resistances? Something else. Defensive spells? Something else.

Purely for average damage per second, things can stay sidegrades until defense/mitigation takes a big enough chunk out of small hits and/or until your overall boost-stack (talisman, flask etc) mitigates most of the downsides to a lot of the alternatives.

Put simply, past the early game, very rarely is "fp efficient damage output" a huge concern in these games. Outside of challenges you have enough flasks to kill any boss with ease, and when clearing areas you get refills anyway. If that's still not enough, there are a few ways to refill FP on the go. While these games have some 'numbers go up' aspects, rarely have they followed the classic formula of 'progress in the game to basically make your numbers bigger and have purely better spells' (or better: leveling works like this, items and spells often don't).

There are a ton of things "dragging down" ER on the balance side, but "Glintstone pebble is too good" is 9000000000000000000000% not one of them. More like the opposite, in that spell and skill-creep on the high end is just way off the charts in a way it hasn't been in other games.

Idiot Doom Spiral fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 22, 2022

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Oxyclean posted:

Open world blood borne only on PlayStation.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Snake Maze posted:

Summons trivialize almost all 1v1 fights because instead of learning the bosses patterns you just jump attack their back and then back off until the summon gets aggro again. "I don't enjoy fighting this boss solo because they feel too hard" and "I don't enjoy fighting this boss with a summon because it feels like I'm not really playing the game" are not contradictory statements. Both can be true at the same time.

The major problem with your whole argument is that you're the one who chooses to "back off until the summon gets aggro again".

Your playstyle and choices are what's makes it "feels like I'm not really playing the game."

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Professor Beetus posted:

I think some people think of summoning in From games as "easy mode" and look down on it, but given that the online nature and summoning/invasions are a core part of the experience, it seems more like refusing to summon is actually "hard mode" and that using summons is more like a regular/intended difficulty. Which seems more true in Elden Ring than ever before, given the spirit summons.

No shade intended to the people that like to play solo, just an observation.

I feel like a good comparison to summons in Souls games is pistol starts in OG Doom. You can choose to play it that way, and the level designers made sure all the levels could be played that way, but the intended experience is the one where you just go through the levels sequentially, carrying all the health/ammo/weapons you've already collected up to that point. Likewise, in the Souls games the bosses and levels are designed so that they can be soloed, because they knew that people would choose to do it that way, but co-op was always meant to be a core part of the experience. It's why you get NPC summons, because they wanted the ability to "co-op" to still exist even if the community died or the game servers shut down.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Linear Elden Ring

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Devorum posted:

The Valiant Gargoyles can eat my entire butt. I can get the first one down, but I'm usually too badly injured to beat the second one by that point. Using the Prelate's Crozier, but thinking of switching to a faster Strike weapon because while I love the thing, it's slow as hell.

Any advice on good summons or tactics? I'm a Str melee build, mostly 2H big weapons.

I used the rock solid jellyfish summon (I think I had them at +6? at that point). At the time I was specced for strength and using great stars 2 handed. Basically out of my 3 attempts, the successful one was the one in which the jellyfish didn't get caught in a massive poison cloud and immediately melt.

e: Also I was really worried after doing Mt. Gelmir that after the 4 big open world zones I'd explored to that point were going to be left behind in favor of a more linear experience, but now that I'm in the snow place I'm happy to have more exploration options again. Speaking of Mt. Gelmir, how do you get to that keep that looks like it's sitting in a poison lake or whatever on the world map. I never found a path to take me down to that valley and am assuming I missed a cave or tunnel or something.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 22, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oxyclean posted:

Sony owns the IP, so... :smith:

Good lord the map is still expanding, I'm getting exhausted just exploring everything. There's just so much poo poo to look at and check out.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I really enjoy watching my summon attack things, that's all

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

I used the rock solid jellyfish summon (I think I had them at +6? at that point). At the time I was specced for strength and using great stars 2 handed. Basically out of my 3 attempts, the successful one was the one in which the jellyfish didn't get caught in a massive poison cloud and immediately melt.

Hmmmm, I decided against Best Friend Jellyfish because I heard the gargoyles were immune to poison so I figured they would be immune to its damage.

I'll give it a shot!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Devorum posted:

Head right after entering, and pull/fight the first Gargoyle by that cliff. It is prone to doing wild jumps, and one of them is bound to see it fall over the edge, health going from 100 to 0, and then the second shows up for a 1v1.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Eeeeh, the basic moves are usually sufficient to complete the game if you don't want to do anything more exciting. That is a Souls staple. Straight Sword, basic sorceries/pyromancies etc. It works but it's neither exciting, nor does it work well for a lot of particular things you might want to do - knock something down? Need something else. Want to deny an area? Something else. Particular resistances? Something else. Defensive spells? Something else.

Purely for average damage per second, things can stay sidegrades until defense/mitigation takes a big enough chunk out of small hits and/or until your overall boost-stack (talisman, flask etc) mitigates most of the downsides to a lot of the alternatives.

Put simply, past the early game, very rarely is "fp efficient damage output" a huge concern in these games. Outside of challenges you have enough flasks to kill any boss with ease, and when clearing areas you get refills anyway. If that's still not enough, there are a few ways to refill FP on the go. While these games have some 'numbers go up' aspects, rarely have they followed the classic formula of 'progress in the game to basically make your numbers bigger and have purely better spells' (or better: leveling works like this, items and spells often don't).

There are a ton of things "dragging down" ER on the balance side, but "Glintstone pebble is too good" is 9000000000000000000000% not one of them. More like the opposite, in that spell and skill-creep on the high end is just way off the charts in a way it hasn't been in other games.

So I'm not really missing anything with the homing spell, it's more of a "Use this spell on horseback" thing? Still wondering what the use case is for the shards spell, because I can at least see using the homing spell once I get a third spell slot. The shards just seem... bad? The problem isn't so much the spells themselves, but more that there's no way to really gauge their power outside of just using them on the same type of enemy and seeing what happens.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

Head right after entering, and pull/fight the first Gargoyle by that cliff. It is prone to doing wild jumps, and one of them is bound to see it fall over the edge, health going from 100 to 0, and then the second shows up for a 1v1.

I beat them legit on my str dude, gonna keep this in mind for my mage run because it'd be hilarious

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Devorum posted:

Hmmmm, I decided against Best Friend Jellyfish because I heard the gargoyles were immune to poison so I figured they would be immune to its damage.

I'll give it a shot!

Most times I summon jelly friend it's for their ability to tank damage and draw aggro, not for actual damage. Even though they do piddly damage to the gargoyles, they're still capable of drawing enough aggro to give you more openings for attacks. Gotta watch out for those big poison clouds though, those are brutal.

FishMcCool posted:

lmao

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

re: in case you still want the dragon talisman, on the first ramp the chariot goes up and down on you can jump down from the right hand alcove where the 2 guys spawn on either side. You can then run all the way to the thing without it ever catching up to you if you just wait for it to start making its way back towards the entrance before you jump.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Did anyone ever figure out what the deal with all the chairs scattered across the world is?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ghaz posted:

while I'm at it, minor lore questions/observations that assume other people might be able to shed light on for me:

- those guys with the long necks, e.g. Gatekeeper dude, is there a lore reason they got those long necks?

- on the same subject, is everyone who doesn't look all Hallowed out a tarnished?

- what exactly is the "omen curse"? is it just being a crusty barnacle guy?

- do you think all the giants had faces in their tummies that got scooped out in order to subjugate them? Not sure how that would work exactly but it did always feel like there was something missing there. Bonus question: what do you think their skin texture is? Kinda looks like cocktail shrimp to me

- re the big face under the castle: the same big face is later found deep undergound as a part of fia's quest. I'm pretty sure they explicitly say it's the same guy (Godwyn). So... did it move? is one of them merely symbolic? Or is this just some typical fromsoft "ah yes time/space is convoluted so sometimes overlapping quest triggers make the world state seem to contradict itself" type stuff?

- is the civilization of the eternal cities the same as that which produced the ruins laying all over the place? I sorta presumed that the latter are from farum azula, and are completely unrelated to the former, just going off the architecture. However I've watched some lore videos in a desperate bid to understand the story and many of the somber-voiced commenters on youtube are suggesting they're the same.

- on that note, seems like there are 3 or 4 distinct styles down there, I like to think each of them represents another civilization that got wrecked. Just how many times has the greater will pulled some poo poo like this :thunk: very gwyn.

- the little guys with the cool hats and bleed weapons: what's their deal? They seem to be found guarding the approach to some explicitly forbidden zones, but are they free agents or what?

- has anyone seen/heard any actual accusations against sellen? Like the most I noticed was Jerren (I think) saying "she did bad stuff to her fellow wizards", but all of the spells she taught me seemed to be standard stuff all the burger king dudes were casting all game, so I'm not sure what she was getting out of it. her co-conspirators had much cooler spells/fits, but what about the lady herself? Is it just that she wanted to overthrow the queen? I guess that's a good reason for her to be a wanted woman but then why does Jerren care?

- finally the most spoilery of my confusions: Who do the black assassins work for? Ranni straight up tells you she founded them to kill some guys for real but then at the very end, it looks like they were responsible for merking Iji and Blaidd... did she tell them to do that or are they out of her control? I've tried to piece together what their fuckin aim is based on where I found them hiding/guarding, but haven't found much of a pattern.

sellen: probably wizard Mengele. turned a bunch of her classmates into balls of screaming faces for research before she was chased from the university. genuinely likes the Tarnished, though

big face: godwyn’s corpse is tangled up in the Erdtree’s roots and passively spreading its influence and “budding” through the land, hence the Deathroot. the gribbly thing beneath Stormveil is a particularly ripe example, and likely why the castle itself appears to be “rotting” with holes and thorns everywhere

cities of Nox: they seem to have worshipped the leaden moon that Ranni also follows, and were destroyed by Astel (probably an emissary from the Greater Will or some other peeved god) for heresy - possibly for worshipping the Moon, definitely for trying to create artificial lords with their quicksilver mimics. not connected to Farum Azula

black knives: Ranni took the rune of death to slay her own body, but it seems like the assassination plot on godwyn was masterminded by Marika herself, who either anticipated or actively abetted Ranni’s theft to that end. as with everything involving Marika, her motives behind the killing are a mystery, but might be yet another part of her plot to undermine the Greater Will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
People like sitting on their asses just like in real life bro