Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Rascar Capac posted:

For some reason I can only imagine this being delivered by an 18th century philosopher. Like powdered wig, stockings, the lot.

I was picturing a goth middle schooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
They'd better be rescuing a dog down there.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://i.imgur.com/jSTJKQx.mp4

Comments say the one use stopper costs $103, and that this guy did literally everything wrong and shouldn't be near a shop.
At first I thought the SawStop was going to be a red herring because having the offcut between the blade and the fence is a great way to get it launched into low Earth orbit, but then here comes Stumpy McBumbleFingers trying to get to third base with a table saw.

Edit: and that's already ignoring that you should be using the miter sled instead of the fence if the workpiece is wider than it is long.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 22, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

AFewBricksShy posted:

The fact that it looks like it's a little bit spacious in there by the end takes a little bit away from the "gently caress NO"-ness of it, but on the other hand gently caress No.

At least they aren't alone but I'd prefer someone with a jackhammer standing next to me if I were to be forced to do that. My tubby rear end would get stuck like Winnie the Pooh in that thing.

They way everyone is chilling and how much larger a lot of them are, I'm guessing there's a more normal entrance right outside of the camera view and this lady is just showing off.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Comments say the one use stopper costs $103, and that this guy did literally everything wrong and shouldn't be near a shop.

So what exactly is that thing? I can't see any comments on imgur, and I'm trying to figure out if there's some failure mode on table saws that somehow requires what it sounds like (an expensive way to stop the blade one time) or what.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Captain Hygiene posted:

So what exactly is that thing? I can't see any comments on imgur, and I'm trying to figure out if there's some failure mode on table saws that somehow requires what it sounds like (an expensive way to stop the blade one time) or what.

https://www.sawstop.com/why-sawstop/the-technology/

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SawStop

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Captain Hygiene posted:

Saw stop, designed to keep idiots from cutting fingers off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOReKxH5NlA

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gotcha, that makes sense. The phrasing threw me off in a slightly different direction for what I was picturing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The failure mode for a table saw is you cut off your finger, or worse.

100 bucks and a new saw blade is pretty loving cheap compared to losing a finger.

The obvious thing that he did wrong was reach over the blade to grab the part, but he also started out doing it wrong by cutting the piece in that way. When you are cutting a thin strip off of a larger piece, the thin strip should be on the outside of the saw blade, with the large piece up against the fence. That way the thin piece falls away after it's cut. The way he's doing it, the thin piece will get jammed between the fence and the blade. Usually that just means that it catapults the piece back at your face, but the offcut also can get stuck in place, and that tempts idiots to reach in to try to unstick it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 22, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve read those are in wide use at high school shop classes, which makes sense. But do they tell the kids about it? Because it seems like that would just make them want to test it.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

They can be a bit over sensitive though. I had a blade drop because of a bead of sweat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

100 bucks and a new saw blade is pretty loving cheap compared to losing a finger.

Yeah, that makes good sense. The video was blurry enough that I thought the implication was that he was using some separate device to manually stop it, and then just stupidly touching the blade for some reason after he thought it was slowed down enough. Just a misunderstanding at the start making me go off in the wrong direction thinking about mechanical failures.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

They can be a bit over sensitive though. I had a blade drop because of a bead of sweat.

How? I've seen people take visibly wet wood through one and not have it trigger.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

How? I've seen people take visibly wet wood through one and not have it trigger.

Honestly? I have no idea. I was no where near the blade and was in fact moving to turn the thing off. Sweat hit the sensor, and snap.

There's a whole thing on their support forum about false stops, which is why they want you to describe what happened and send in the cart, so they can figure out why and tune them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

A little OSHA-ing from my job at Amazon:

Machine is locked out and everything, but I just had to get a picture when the dude started to crawl in it. Maintenance were getting sick and tired of this packing machine's poo poo.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
It'll be interesting when the SawStop patents expire, and someone can maybe produces something that just retracts the blade—instead of one that stops it, retracts it, and costs you $100.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 22, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’ve read those are in wide use at high school shop classes, which makes sense. But do they tell the kids about it? Because it seems like that would just make them want to test it.

The table saw in my university shop is a SawStop, and yes we tell the students about it. Fortunately they are (so far) mature enough to not try to touch it for fun. It absolutely can still cut you in the fraction of a second it takes for the brake to engage, so if you did something stupid like slam your hand down on the blade to show off, it would probably still rip a big gash in your palm.

In 10 years we've had it activate three times. Twice were due to material properties; the saw detects that it's touching flesh with an electrical system, and that also responds to more conductive materials. One time it fired when a student tried to cut a chunk of mirrored plastic (metal coating), and another time when someone was steam bending wood and put it right on the table saw before all the water had evaporated out of it.

The third time was a genuine accident caused by a student who did something really stupid, and said afterwards he was tired and hungry and not thinking straight. He still ended up with a nice clean slice down the middle of his thumb, but not deep enough to require stitches, and without the SawStop it probably would have torn his thumb right off.

Cat Hatter posted:

There is a bypass mode you can put it in if you have to cut something that is electrically conductive. It requires a special key and procedure to activate because it's just entirely disabling the safety features.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

Sagebrush posted:

The obvious thing that he did wrong was reach over the blade to grab the part, but he also started out doing it wrong by cutting the piece in that way. When you are cutting a thin strip off of a larger piece, the thin strip should be on the outside of the saw blade, with the large piece up against the fence. That way the thin piece falls away after it's cut. The way he's doing it, the thin piece will get jammed between the fence and the blade. Usually that just means that it catapults the piece back at your face, but the offcut also can get stuck in place, and that tempts idiots to reach in to try to unstick it.

I'm no woodfuckler but isn't that piece far too short in the direction of the cut and far to wide the other way to be handled on a tablesaw without a sled?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I bought one of those SawStops from Craigslist for $800 in mint condition and it came with like 5 of those stoppers... I haven't blown one yet but I'm a scatterbrain so I'm glad I have em.

On top of the digit protection, it's just a really nice and accurate feeling table saw with some good features.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

It'll be interesting when the SawStop patents expire, and someone can maybe produces something that just retracts the blade—instead of one that stops it, retracts it, and costs you $100.

Impossible. There is no technology on the planet that can stop a blade like that dead in microseconds without damaging or destroying some part of the system. It's like saying "maybe someday they'll invent an airbag that can just be deflated and reused instead of having to be totally replaced." That's not how the engineering works.

The stopping and retraction are not separate processes either. In the SawStop system, the brake cartridge is released into the bottom of the blade, that jams it and brings it to a halt, and the blade's inertia swings it down under the table and locks it in place.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 22, 2022

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Sagebrush posted:

The table saw in my university shop is a SawStop, and yes we tell the students about it. Fortunately they are (so far) mature enough to not try to touch it for fun. It absolutely can still cut you in the fraction of a second it takes for the brake to engage, so if you did something stupid like slam your hand down on the blade to show off, it would probably still rip a big gash in your palm.

Too bad they didn't have SawStops when my uncle was a shop teacher. While doing a demo similar to the above video to show students what would go wrong, he managed to take the tip of his middle finger clean off. Still has a stub-nub with no fingernail.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The amount of energy in the spinning blade means that any attempt to stop it that quick is going to destroy something.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Butterwagon posted:

I'm no woodfuckler but isn't that piece far too short in the direction of the cut and far to wide the other way to be handled on a tablesaw without a sled?

I would definitely have it on a sled, yes, in addition to cutting it the other way.

Like I know exactly what he's doing because I've been tempted to do it too. Oh, I need a bunch of slices of this block that are exactly the same width; I'll just set the fence to that depth and run one pass after another until the block is gone! Easy and no extra setup required!

Except it's really stupid for the aforementioned reasons, and there are other ways to make the cut that are a little more involved but much safer. The table saw isn't really even the right tool for something like that. I would use a miter saw with a couple of work stops. Just as fast and much safer.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Sagebrush posted:

Impossible. There is no technology on the planet that can stop a blade like that dead in microseconds without damaging or destroying some part of the system. It's like saying "maybe someday they'll invent an airbag that can just be deflated and reused instead of having to be totally replaced." That's not how the engineering works.

The stopping and retraction are not separate processes either. In the SawStop system, the brake cartridge is released into the bottom of the blade, that jams it and brings it to a halt, and the blade's inertia swings it down under the table and locks it in place.

Ah, you're right.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

Impossible. There is no technology on the planet that can stop a blade like that dead in microseconds without damaging or destroying some part of the system. It's like saying "maybe someday they'll invent an airbag that can just be deflated and reused instead of having to be totally replaced."

Yeah the airbag analogy is especially appropriate because it uses the same kind of pyrotechnic to stop the blade.

If you tried to preserve the blade by dropping it downwards at pyrotechnic speeds, it would probably break apart and turn the sawblade into a weapon from Unreal Tournament.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Yeah a decent chunk of the cost here is probably the blade, those get pricey.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

Honestly? I have no idea. I was no where near the blade and was in fact moving to turn the thing off. Sweat hit the sensor, and snap.

I believe the blade is the sensor on a SawStop, so if you mess with its electrical potential / capacitance, the saw becomes upset and commits hara kiri.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

I believe the blade is the sensor on a SawStop, so if you mess with its electrical potential / capacitance, the saw becomes upset and commits hara kiri.

That'd do it, he said in his best southern workshop voice.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Anyway back in high school I took a shop class. We got a video explanation of the SawStop one Friday.

Come Monday, teach comes in with a cast on his hand because his home saw didn't have a SawStop. Nearly lost two fingers. Great learning experience for the class, let me tell you.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah the airbag analogy is especially appropriate because it uses the same kind of pyrotechnic to stop the blade.

If you tried to preserve the blade by dropping it downwards at pyrotechnic speeds, it would probably break apart and turn the sawblade into a weapon from Unreal Tournament.

Only the earliest SawStops used the pyrotechnic system (literally a .38 blank cartridge). All of the current models have the brake block attached to a tremendously strong spring that's held in compression with a wire. There is a big capacitor in the brake cartridge that charges up when you turn on the machine, and you can't start the motor until it's fully charged. When the system activates, the capacitor discharges into the wire and blows it up, releasing the spring, forcing the brake block into the blade. Apparently this electrical method is faster and more predictable than the pyrotechnic system.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Sagebrush posted:

Felder has a system that uses magnets instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-cRzYXY_3c

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Only the earliest SawStops used the pyrotechnic system (literally a .38 blank cartridge). All of the current models have the brake block attached to a tremendously strong spring that's held in compression with a wire. There is a big capacitor in the brake cartridge that charges up when you turn on the machine, and you can't start the motor until it's fully charged. When the system activates, the capacitor discharges into the wire and blows it up, releasing the spring, forcing the brake block into the blade. Apparently this electrical method is faster and more predictable than the pyrotechnic system.

...So the modern SawStop is basically a fuse, then?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FuturePastNow posted:

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

:lmao:

Probably one of the best posts I've read in a while.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ablative posted:

...So the modern SawStop is basically a fuse, then?

Kind of. A fuse is designed to interrupt electrical current, and in this case the wire is only used for its mechanical properties. Fuses can also take some time to blow, melting or burning out in different ways depending on how much current goes through, while in this case they deliberately run so much current through the wire that it just explodes into vapor, guaranteeing instant separation.

But yeah, it's a similar idea

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Kind of. A fuse is designed to interrupt electrical current, and in this case the wire is only used for its mechanical properties. Fuses can also take some time to blow, melting or burning out in different ways depending on how much current goes through, while in this case they deliberately run so much current through the wire that it just explodes into vapor, guaranteeing instant separation.

But yeah, it's a similar idea

Yeah, there's a variety of fuses out there.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

This is the most Australian video I have ever seen.

not anymore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dstd6brD9y8

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ablative posted:

Anyway back in high school I took a shop class. We got a video explanation of the SawStop one Friday.

Come Monday, teach comes in with a cast on his hand because his home saw didn't have a SawStop. Nearly lost two fingers. Great learning experience for the class, let me tell you.

Now that's marketing!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sagebrush posted:

There is a bypass mode you can put it in if you have to cut something that is electrically conductive. It requires a special key and procedure to activate because it's just entirely disabling the safety features.
Yeah, but this was a demo at a trade convention about how the saw doesn't fire for no reason. There is an urban legend that you can't cut pressure treated wood because of the moisture content that they've been trying to combat.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Bosch already made one until they got sued. It didn't stop the blade, it just yeets the whole assembly under the table where it doesn't matter if its still spinning. I think replacement cartridges cost ~$80 and could be used twice? I probably wouldn't trust it as much as a SawStop, but it'll still save most of your finger.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

You can retract the blade without stopping it. Bosch had a system that did that, but it violated SawStop's patents for detecting fingers. The Bosch system would cut you more since it didn't stop the blade, but would still prevent serious damage and amputations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Wouldn't that also drag you down to the blade in case it snagged some clothing?