Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The problem I have is that what works for any given individual is never going to work for the larger population. Everyone has different needs and the goon suggesting that "everyone should move out to the sticks" as a solution to people talking about how the housing crisis affects them at a few people off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Move to England and refurbish a house? :confused:

Sellers are crazy though, they'll try and get about £40k below market rate for a house that pretty much needs knocking down and starting again. You could easily spend half of that just on replacing windows and doors.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm so glad I'm out this week, as we use Okta and I'm sure it's chaos right now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

People who belong to a minority indefinable group literally get hate crimes committed against them (at best) or flatout murdered (at worst) in the sticks, which you seem to love so much. You are very clearly white and cis and able to speak from a position of total privilege.

I mean, it's Clam Down, but people were siding with him on it, this is just the first one I found. No mention of "In these specific states" which would also be dumb because hate crime laws don't stop people from committing hate crimes. Just if you're a minority in "the sticks" you're going to get hate crimed at best, lynched at worst.

Regulargonzalez was presumably talking about New Mexico judging by his reference to being 3 hours away from Santa Fe, possibly far south Colorado. IDK what the hate crime laws are like in CO or NM despite living in CO because it's not something I keep up with. Loving v. Virginia didn't stop my ex-wife and I from getting poor treatment in moderately-sized "progressive" cities.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Why the gently caress are you continuing this topic that was completely over and done with, starting with a really weird comment directed at me?

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 22, 2022

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean, it's Clam Down, but people were siding with him on it, this is just the first one I found. No mention of "In these specific states" which would also be dumb because hate crime laws don't stop people from committing hate crimes. Just if you're a minority in "the sticks" you're going to get hate crimed at best, lynched at worst.

Regulargonzalez was presumably talking about New Mexico judging by his reference to being 3 hours away from Santa Fe, possibly far south Colorado. IDK what the hate crime laws are like in CO or NM despite living in CO because it's not something I keep up with. Loving v. Virginia didn't stop my ex-wife and I from getting poor treatment in moderately-sized "progressive" cities.

this is what rural areas in the South are like:
https://twitter.com/FahertyWSOC9/status/1279196267550310401

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Don't make me PM IE

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Your dad will turn this thread around

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why the gently caress are you continuing this topic that was completely over and done with, starting with a really weird comment directed at me?

Boohoo, you got called out for making really gross generalizations about vast swaths of the country. And I called you out specifically because you're one of the most brash and abrasive posters in this thread whenever people speak negatively about offices or big cities, although at least since the time I called you out for taking it to an ableist level you've cut it back, which I appreciate.

alg posted:

this is what rural areas in the South are like:
https://twitter.com/FahertyWSOC9/status/1279196267550310401

Funny, the rural areas in the south I was in my wife and I got treated better than we did in the front range of Colorado. Almost like people and places are complicated and you shouldn't make wide sweeping generalizations.

IE can probe me for bringing this back up on the condition he come visit me since I'm only like 3 hours away so he can show me all the bigotry and hate crimes that I'm apparently missing every day that doesn't exist in the city.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus christ dude, shut up.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Apologize for saying that if you're in "the sticks" you're going to get hate crimed.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgkD1scIkKw

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What is wrong with you, is your brain broken?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I take back what I said about stopping the ableism, because yes, and living in a rural area helps.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

I see we're having a very normal reaction to the fact that minorities may not want to live in more conservative locations where they may be discriminated against. Cool cool.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

"Rural communities don't have bigotry problems"
<examples of many problems>
"MY rural community doesn't have those problems"

Check your loving privilege.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I think objective data would be the best way to look at this. Let's compare the amount of hate crimes from the last 3 rural zip codes I've lived in to those of any metropolitan goon zip code. And to show I'm acting entirely in good faith, we'll do it per Capita. And I'll go further and make it a banme toxx, if any of you are willing to do the same. If my area has more hate crimes, I get banned. And vice versa.

Just lmk. Easy way to get rid of me, since there are so many lynchings in my area.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 22, 2022

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Queer Salutations posted:

I see we're having a very normal reaction to the fact that minorities may not want to live in more conservative locations where they may be discriminated against. Cool cool.

I mean that’s definitely not what Clam Down said, he said you will at best get hate crimed and at worst get murdered if you live in a rural area, but feel free to continue misinterpreting it.

I shouldn’t have to lay out my “credentials” but I’m a bi enby that spent most of their adult life in an interracial relationship. gently caress off with your “check your privilege” poo poo.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
As a progressive person that is very tolerant and understanding of others, I have to say that everybody knows there's only trailer parks between SF and NYC. Anyone that disagrees is dumb and/or a racist.
22 Eargesplitten, I'm sure your trailer is very nice and no disrespect was intended. Seriously, I don't want to see pictures of your "house" and I tire of this conversation.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yes, let's continue to cherry pick experiences from our own lives and tell people that have different experiences that they're wrong.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

As a rural PA dweller Id like to say "Hello" and "Its a pleasure to make your acquaintance, I hope you are well!"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I offered you boat talk and only a few took me up on it. We could be talking about boats!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What do you normally fish

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

I think objective data would be the best way to look at this. Let's compare the amount of hate crimes from the last 3 rural zip codes I've lived in to those of any metropolitan goon zip code. And to show I'm acting entirely in good faith, we'll do it per Capita. And I'll go further and make it a banme toxx, if any of you are willing to do the same. If my area has more hate crimes, I get banned. And vice versa.

Just lmk. Easy way to get rid of me, since there are so many lynchings in my area.

Ah yes, the objective data of reporting crimes to police. A group of people famously on the side of minorities. I'd consider taking you up on that but the police force for my 400k person metropolitan area either doesn't charge people with hate crimes or they're statistically insignificant enough to fall under the "Other" umbrella.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean that’s definitely not what Clam Down said, he said you will at best get hate crimed and at worst get murdered if you live in a rural area, but feel free to continue misinterpreting it.

I shouldn’t have to lay out my “credentials” but I’m a bi enby that spent most of their adult life in an interracial relationship. gently caress off with your “check your privilege” poo poo.

Are we pretending hate crime can't include speech? Is this a Canada vs USA thing, because to say you're likely to deal with hate speech in rural areas (which are traditionally more conservative by nature) is not a particularly hot take. Whether you're more likely to be assaulted? I couldn't say. The reason minorities may avoid living in rural areas are obviously way more complicated than "you'll get hate crimed", I'd almost go as far as to say that the lack of potential community is the biggest reason.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Good lord take your derails somewhere else, im trying to bitch about my job in here and ask IT questions.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got offered a 30 day temp job setting up Cisco Duo. Cool.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also my real job asked me to change room names to the below

Bunny Room
Turtle Room
Snake Room
Cow Room

Cause we're fun!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just finished a contract to migrate a Google Workspace to O365 and could bot get the workspace migration tool to work for the life of me, ended up having to slum it with imap.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Good lord take your derails somewhere else, im trying to bitch about my job in here and ask IT questions.

:hai:

GreenNight posted:

I got offered a 30 day temp job setting up Cisco Duo. Cool.

Sounds fulfilling!

Lately, my spidey senses have been tingling and I think I might be getting called back to the office sooner than later. At least I lasted thru the latest covid wave and flu season.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

I started looking at this thread and I got two promotions within 5 months. The thread works ya'll.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I feel like I've been in this thread for 40 years. But I did get a promotion this year, so at least after 19 years I'm still getting somewhat paid. Finally six figgies.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

I offered you boat talk and only a few took me up on it. We could be talking about boats!

Lake or Ocean?

I'll never buy a boat, but I'm not opposed to renting a couple times a year. I had an Uncle that lived on a lake though, his boat was used every weekend, all weekend, he loved hosting folks. It was a 21 ft Bayliner and seemed like a good size. RIP Uncle B.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

skipdogg posted:

Lake or Ocean?

I'll never buy a boat, but I'm not opposed to renting a couple times a year. I had an Uncle that lived on a lake though, his boat was used every weekend, all weekend, he loved hosting folks. It was a 21 ft Bayliner and seemed like a good size. RIP Uncle B.

I sailed a long time ago in the Atlantic, was a blast. I'd like another sailboat but I don't make that kind of money to light on fire.

What are the chances we have any DBAs hanging out in here?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not sure if any thread regulars are full time DBA's, but there's a SQL thread in CoC https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2672629

edit: nevermind see you already posted there.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

Sellers are crazy though, they'll try and get about £40k below market rate for a house that pretty much needs knocking down and starting again. You could easily spend half of that just on replacing windows and doors.

I was referring to Jaded Burnout, who hasn't posted in the IT threads in a while but also has a thread in HCH about refurbishing his house.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Since the HR VP quit I've been alone at the far end of the office. That makes it safe for me to blast music. Almost makes me want to get a subwoofer.

EDIT: I've been asked to find an MDM solution to handle our smartphones and laptops, including being able to remotely erase them. We have onsite AD although Azure AD is probably in our future. Only MDM I've used was the one Cisco was offering for free to Meraki users. Any suggestions?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 22, 2022

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Do you have Verizon? They offer a free MDM for their phones if you have a business plan.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're going Azure AD then just go with Intune. It's not the best, but it's far from the worst. I quite like working with it.

At least you will never have to worry about the company being acquired and the prices getting jacked up 200%.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm in the middle of a move and I swear to god if I have to bust out buttons it's not going to be pretty. Please, just have a conversation like normal people. I expect better of this thread. If you have an opinion, voice it without being an rear end in a top hat. Ask yourself, "does this make the thread more enjoyable to read."

And please don't say "I don't care if I get probation/banned/whatever." No one is out here ruling with an iron fist and all you're doing is loudly proclaiming that you know your post sucks and putting mods into a situation where we feel like we have to do something about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

If folks want to continue the conversation to this degree, please make a thread in D&D and link it here. That's a little too in-depth for a random derail.