Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I had doubts about Eli's cover story but when they revealed he used to be a wrestler, they all went away because wrestlers are pretty stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Still weird Eli seemed to get no repercussions from breaking his son's thumbs in front of many people.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

limp_cheese posted:

I know I've mentioned it before but I like they try to make Eli an actually godly man that tries to be honest and humble. Yes his wealth is the glaring contradiction but he still tries.

Amen. The show's master stroke so far has been making him ruthless in terms of growing his congregation and business - but never doing so forgoing his belief.

quote:

Still weird Eli seemed to get no repercussions from breaking his son's thumbs in front of many people.

Well, they're a forgiving people, those religious folk. Also read up about Jerry Falwell Jr. or more damning, Jim Bakker.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You can tell that Eli wants to be big and successful first and foremost because he genuinely believes in his mission and wants to be able to reach more people, which leads to inner conflict when he periodically strays and gets caught up in chasing success for its own sake.

SirPablo posted:

It was technically self defense, and he is a rich white guy.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah to me there’s no doubt that the Gemstones believe, they have a hard time actually following the path of Christ but they know God is watching.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah to me there’s no doubt that the Gemstones believe, they have a hard time actually following the path of Christ but they know God is watching.

However sometimes they think Jesus is a karate person

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

SirPablo posted:

On one hand, Kelvin in that moment was a complete dick.

On the other, I suspect a good portion of those attending BJ's baptism would have grown up seeing instances of "kids behind the curtain" over the years, and would have reacted to Eli's actions with "About drat time!"

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
My husband and I have a theory that Jesus does love the Gemstones. Our main support for this (aside from the fact that when things tend to work out for them somehow) is that once a season there's a very subtle but fantastic song where a chorus sings "Jesus loves the Gemstones" a few times. This happened in season 1 when gunfire erupts during the blackmail exchange and Scotty gets run over https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Tk38kgrT0 (1 min 6 seconds in) and in season 2 in episode 7 it chimes in the moment after Jesse says "oh god, please allow me to win" (or please let me win I dunno) right before he returns fire on the cycle ninjas at the hospital and finally hits one. (31:55 timestamp in the episode itself)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah and Kelvin willed his father out of a coma

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah and Kelvin willed his father out of a coma

And the bee brought back baby billy

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Rewatching the 1st season again and noticed whenever Eli draws a gun he is using the gold plated gun he took from the guy his dad killed. Nice bit of continuity.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!
Teepublic has a 40% off sale currently and they have some "Still Misbehavin' Tour" shirts

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirts?query=still+Misbehavin

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just finished this season. Not as good as the first one but it still has a lot of great moments. I appreciated that we finally got more Eric Andre at the end.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ngl, if bullets worked like they do in this show, it'd be goddamn amazing

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

S2 ep8 spoiler: never before has a man with a broken nose laughing at an imaginary person been so bitter sweet. Fight Club, take note.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Holy poo poo Vice Principals is amazing :monocle:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes I’m watching through it right now

It’s a lot darker than Eastbound and Down or Righteous Gemstones

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes I’m watching through it right now

It’s a lot darker than Eastbound and Down or Righteous Gemstones

It goes to some realllllllly dark places. I was totally stunned and at the same time thinking 'oh my god no way. no fuckin way' when they burned her house down

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Vice Principals did a masterful job of that whole "wow, I can't believe they're going to do this awful thing to Dr Brown because they're so racist" but it really wasn't because they were racist, just absolutely terrible insecure people.

Also, Gamby hating Ray and Ray being super-cool and reasonable never stopped being great.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

It goes to some realllllllly dark places. I was totally stunned and at the same time thinking 'oh my god no way. no fuckin way' when they burned her house down
Yeah that surprised me with how it escalated things

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

sticksy posted:

Vice Principals did a masterful job of that whole "wow, I can't believe they're going to do this awful thing to Dr Brown because they're so racist" but it really wasn't because they were racist, just absolutely terrible insecure people.

Also, Gamby hating Ray and Ray being super-cool and reasonable never stopped being great.

Also nice to see the dude playing Ray not playing an rear end in a top hat character for once. Though his finest moment is saying "Whoa" about fifty times in a row in Bad Lieutenant.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i love when goggins says gamby

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fartington Butts posted:

Also nice to see the dude playing Ray not playing an rear end in a top hat character for once. Though his finest moment is saying "Whoa" about fifty times in a row in Bad Lieutenant.

He was the captain or staff sergeant or something like that in Fargo S1, too, I believe. I'm sure I've seen him in a bunch of other stuff, and yeah, it was good to see him here play the absolutely unshakeable good guy.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uj0ClhN7NA

Mordja fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 22, 2022

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Gemstones is putting in the work to replace it but my favorite Goggins line of all time is still currently "I will dig up all your fuckin kimchee!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD8vRxM2WfE

Something about the line itself and the read of it makes me laugh every time I think about it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The football acid scene is probably one of my favorite drug scenes in a show

Extremely real vibes to decide that living under the bleachers is something you can do until you come back down

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

The football acid scene is probably one of my favorite drug scenes in a show

Extremely real vibes to decide that living under the bleachers is something you can do until you come back down
‘We live here now’ is a good way to end an episode

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I can't find the exact quote, but when Goggins is going on about "Ray being a stupid loving name" and what a dumb name it is for a "nemesis" killed me.

Also, I rewatched the first three seasons of Eastbound. I really didn't think the humor would hold up, but it absolutely does. However, I always swore I saw the entire show and now realize that I never actually saw the fourth season. So I'm going to see the series finale for the first time at some point in the next week.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Doronin posted:

I can't find the exact quote, but when Goggins is going on about "Ray being a stupid loving name" and what a dumb name it is for a "nemesis" killed me.

In the same clip as my favorite quote actually right above! He was on a real tear there.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Tristesse posted:

In the same clip as my favorite quote actually right above! He was on a real tear there.

haha, I should have watched the clip! drat that was a good scene.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I rewatch eastbound basically in perpetuity, it's like my version of the office for those girls that just watch the office on constant repeat

eastbound's comedy is evergreen

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Mandrel posted:

I rewatch eastbound basically in perpetuity, it's like my version of the office for those girls that just watch the office on constant repeat

Does it take a few episodes for Eastbound to "click"? I love Gemstones and I practically worship Vice Principals but I'm having a difficult time going from them to Eastbound for some reason

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Mandrel posted:

:same:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

PerilPastry posted:

Does it take a few episodes for Eastbound to "click"? I love Gemstones and I practically worship Vice Principals but I'm having a difficult time going from them to Eastbound for some reason

The type of humor in the first few episodes is pretty much what you can expect for the rest of the series.

That said, it's really good and I'd recommend sticking with it.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

PerilPastry posted:

hmm, normally I'd say if the first few of eastbound aren't hitting for you it might just not be your thing but that is weird since you like the other two so much

idk, maybe give it a season, it's only like 3 hours total. if you're not digging it by the end of S though might just not be your bag. that's weird

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I'll give it a few more episodes, thanks guys :)

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I also can't get Eastbound to stick even though I love nearly everything else Danny McBride has ever been in. I just really don't like Kenny Powers maybe, he's too much on the rear end in a top hat spectrum.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I love clips from Eastbound but have struggled to get into it too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

What is wrong with all of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Tristesse posted:

I also can't get Eastbound to stick even though I love nearly everything else Danny McBride has ever been in. I just really don't like Kenny Powers maybe, he's too much on the rear end in a top hat spectrum.

he's definitely the biggest shithead of the three McBride characters, but I think it makes it all the more rewarding in the scenes when the character's persona cracks and his vulnerability comes through.

i feel like if that trick of getting the viewer to see the humanity in/empathize with the most unlikable dickhead in the world is McBride's signature move, then Eastbound is the most impressive in how far the travel is to get the viewer there

the S3 finale when he's jogging onto the field and Only Son of the Ladies Man is playing gives me a little lump in my throat every time. you really come to love this dude as a person and root for him