Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fearless posted:

Don't forget the exploitation of child labour too!

Intentionally contracting with Mugabe for milk, buying up water right in drought zones… when I was growing up my mom taught me why we would never have Nestlè products in the house. Decades later I still don’t. They are one of the most cartoonishly evil companions outside the fossil fuel sector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1506344805617614855

I suspect it’s more them being afraid Polish citizens are going to jump the gate and just take their poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

When East Germany started falling apart the Stasi lacked widespread access to shredders or incinerators so they took to ripping up documents by hand. Computer advanced made it possible later on to scan and reconstruct the documents.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Casimir Radon posted:

When East Germany started falling apart the Stasi lacked widespread access to shredders or incinerators so they took to ripping up documents by hand. Computer advanced made it possible later on to scan and reconstruct the documents.

Iran did the same to the US embassy

but they had advanced "children putting poo poo together like a jigsaw puzzle" systems

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

Iran did the same to the US embassy

but they had advanced "children putting poo poo together like a jigsaw puzzle" systems

Actually the US stuff was mostly shredded, it’s just they had people with extensive rug making or related skills do it iirc.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Never forget who was neutral throughout WW2

Switzerland joined the financial sanctions that they weren't even willing to do in WW2 so Nestle's really going for it here

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/konotaromp/status/1506365231018090496?s=21

Japan today and I’m seeing stuff about him speaking at the upcoming NATO meeting.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Actually the US stuff was mostly shredded, it’s just they had people with extensive rug making or related skills do it iirc.

This is why shredder security standards exists

https://www.abe-online.com/paper-shredder-levels-of-security

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Purest cope I've ever seen
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1506365629414182926?s=20&t=cleTwoH0k5Cc29pEqGkV4Q

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

A team? Just ask the nearest farmer

UkranianFarmersOnly.com

CIA-folks just don't get it!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wrong Theory posted:

UkranianFarmersOnly.com

CIA-folks just don't get it!

Come on dude onlyfarmers.com was right there

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

At what point do they just use a loving lighter

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

One thing I wondered was how our local milsurp store had newer Russian stuff than the junk being handed out to the poor sods heading into Ukraine. The answer is as obvious as it is hilarious.

Varusteleka posted:

Army surplus is sometimes available from dead or undead regimes, like the DDR or the Soviet Union. The Soviet stuff is usually "surplus", meaning it's either from some ex-ComBloc warehouse, or purchased in Russia from an army base quartermaster with loose morale, by a person who knows someone, who knows someone. The Russian army never officially sells any of its property.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/article/army-surplus-how-it-works/61536

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Burning is easy for bulk destruction, but you generally do it outside and you need to babysit it for both fire safety reasons and to make sure everything gets stirred up and thoroughly burned, not just scorched up like a good pirate map or Dungeons and Dragons tome prop.

Local fire department sometimes gets mad about burn permits, which really sucks if your secret shredder is broken. Leads to sneaking around to burn things in areas where the fire marshals won’t find you.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah there was a scene in Argo of the Iranian kids tediously taping the shredded paper back together.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

actually the unarmored vehicles are better because they are quicker and have greater mobility

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

actually the unarmored vehicles are better because they are quicker and have greater mobility

Donald Rumsfeld? I thought you were dead.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For sure, I'd assume there are tons of ultra-valuable previously secret items flowing in NATO's hands that aren't as large or photogenic, probably lots of high ranking officer and technical staff captured too. On a related note there was an NYtimes article about how tens of thousands of IT young workers were leaving Russia which are exactly the group of workers most nations absolutely would want to keep around to remain competitive.

The Allegro train from Russia to Finland is still running and some of the shifts have been at full capacity. Many of the Russians interviewed have told reporters that they will take the train to Finland and then fly elsewhere to get away from Russia.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

At what point do they just use a loving lighter

There are units that shred then burn in bulk. Literally soldiers sitting at the bottom of a conveyer that put boxes full of shredded documents and make sure they they don’t catch the facility on fire like facial impediment said.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

is dodging anti tank weapon like glorious T-34 that win Great Patriotic War!

Breaking: Russia to send T-34 to the front

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Burning is easy for bulk destruction, but you generally do it outside and you need to babysit it for both fire safety reasons and to make sure everything gets stirred up and thoroughly burned, not just scorched up like a good pirate map or Dungeons and Dragons tome prop.

Local fire department sometimes gets mad about burn permits, which really sucks if your secret shredder is broken. Leads to sneaking around to burn things in areas where the fire marshals won’t find you.

The key to a successful burn barrel is a heavy but well ventilated lid and a long pipe coming tangent out of the bottom with a leafblower at the end. If there's smoke for the FD to see you're doin it wrong.

Also if the entire thing isn't glowing at least dull cherry, you're doin it wrong.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 22, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

The key to a successful burn barrel is a heavy but well ventilated lid and a long pipe coming tangent out of the bottom with a leafblower at the end. If there's smoke for the FD to see you're doin it wrong.

Also if the entire thing isn't glowing at least dull cherry, you're doin it wrong.

I tried burning leaves in the fire pit last summer and it was such a loving pain in the rear end to keep it from going out, and I can't find any tips online because all the articles yell at me for doing it and I'm already ignoring that

It's legal where I am though so the FD isn't an issue at least

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Think we used to shred, burn and then mix the ashes into a slurry with water.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Think we used to shred, burn and then mix the ashes into a slurry with water.

Stir the ashes with water after burning. That's what we did.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Amateurs. Try this: literal nuclear secrets

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I got to play with a hard drive shredder, that was fun. Absolutely required earpro though holy poo poo. Still, bake 'm in the degausser then giggle a little when a whole hard drive gets tossed in to a big grinder. Not just little dinky laptop hard drives either, full size ones. Those things are built more solidly than I first thought.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

I tried burning leaves in the fire pit last summer and it was such a loving pain in the rear end to keep it from going out, and I can't find any tips online because all the articles yell at me for doing it and I'm already ignoring that

It's legal where I am though so the FD isn't an issue at least

When we would do burn days we'd just burn the whole pile. If you try and toss them into a pit you just choke the fire out.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

bird food bathtub posted:

I got to play with a hard drive shredder, that was fun. Absolutely required earpro though holy poo poo. Still, bake 'm in the degausser then giggle a little when a whole hard drive gets tossed in to a big grinder. Not just little dinky laptop hard drives either, full size ones. Those things are built more solidly than I first thought.

they're called hard drives for a reason! :dadjoke:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

maffew buildings posted:

Was listening to an Unconventional Soldier podcast and they were interviewing someone who was in New Zealand artillery that was deployed to Vietnam. He mentioned the Australian/New Zealand soldiers (they would be grouped together, I know they are different countries) tended not to wear body armor or helmet as the armor was sweltering and the helmets stood out in the jungle even if twigs were attached. Just thought of that as I guess they would get questions about why they seemed to sent into combat without helmets. Also he didn't think much about the effectiveness of napalm but was a fan of shells fused to air burst.

Alan Smithee posted:

is dodging anti tank weapon like glorious T-34 that win Great Patriotic War!

Breaking: Russia to send T-34 to the front

In Wargame: European Escalation where the Cold War goes hot in the 1980s as the Warsaw Pact you can deploy T-34s. Better than nothing but mowed down fast by any modern armor.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

In Wargame: European Escalation where the Cold War goes hot in the 1980s as the Warsaw Pact you can deploy T-34s. Better than nothing but mowed down fast by any modern armor.

When someone complains about uptiering in WT, my go-to example is the presence of T-34/85s in the inventories of WP countries reserve units into the Eighties, and the Sherman not leaving the inventory of some Western nations -- including Canada-- into the Seventies.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CainFortea posted:

When we would do burn days we'd just burn the whole pile. If you try and toss them into a pit you just choke the fire out.

That's exactly what we did when I was a town kid. Push all the leaves to the curb on the dedicated burn day and torch them on the brick roads while the neighborhood kids were on hose detail. The fire trucks would roam the streets on burn days.

In the country, we'd just dump them in the burn barrel with the trash. We burnt everything out there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got sent to do shredder duty one time. A good quarter of a Quonset hit filled waist deep with paper that needed shredding. They didn’t want the shredders to wear out prematurely so most of us spent the two hours there tearing the corners with staples off.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

I got sent to do shredder duty one time. A good quarter of a Quonset hit filled waist deep with paper that needed shredding. They didn’t want the shredders to wear out prematurely so most of us spent the two hours there tearing the corners with staples off.

And then you jabbed said staples into your eyes?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cimber posted:

And then you jabbed said staples into your eyes?
It was not fun to say the least. Luckily they just did it in two hour shifts because I got worried when I saw the gigantic pile of paper.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Was listening to an Unconventional Soldier podcast and they were interviewing someone who was in New Zealand artillery that was deployed to Vietnam. He mentioned the Australian/New Zealand soldiers (they would be grouped together, I know they are different countries) tended not to wear body armor or helmet as the armor was sweltering and the helmets stood out in the jungle even if twigs were attached. Just thought of that as I guess they would get questions about why they seemed to sent into combat without helmets.

Worth bearing in mind that helmets and armor being bulletproof is a fairly recent development.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Casimir Radon posted:

I got to do this on transfer hold in TTF KB, they went to digital for all their TM'S, so we shredded tens of thousands of pages using a shredder that operated like a wood chipper, it was always fun to see how many pages you could jam down it before it threw the belt.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/teyrsethow/status/1506354346291834884

A game of inches.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/tk3sfk/john_bolton_vs_rt_host/
imagine getting owned by John Bolton. This hostess is practically sweating like an interrogation

plz dont talk about ur sex life

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/tk3sfk/john_bolton_vs_rt_host/
imagine getting owned by John Bolton. This hostess is practically sweating like an interrogation

plz dont talk about ur sex life

I like the one comment that suggests that Bolton took the interview for the sole purpose of trolling them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'm waiting for some farmer to show up towing a captured KV-5 or something